QF4: England vs France, 7PM GMT, Al Bayt Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

Two countries who at one stage fought for a century over spurious claims to a throne go head to head in our final quarter-final. France come into this having swept aside Poland after a few early scares and with Kylian Mbappe leading the goalscoring charts at this tournament. England, meanwhile, topped their group with little fuss as well and similarly overcame some early scares to put the African champions to bed.

Winner's prize: A personal union over the loser semifinal against Morocco.

Lineups

FjojYq3WQAAsrxu?format=jpg&name=small

FjomNj1XEAMHi5j?format=jpg&name=small

Quarter final history

England have been eliminated at this stage six times (1954, 1962, 1970, 1986, 2002 and 2006). They have gone beyond it on three occasions (1966, 1990 and 2018).

Reigning champions France have only gone out at this stage twice (1938 and 2014). They have gone beyond it on six occasions (1958, 1982, 1986, 1998, 2006 and 2018).

Past meetings

They have met 31 times between them, with England winning 17 times to France's 9. The two World Cup meetings between them have both resulted in England wins (2-0 in 1966 and 3-1 in 1982). Here's a couple of their more recent competitive meetings:

Zidane scored a late winner from the spot in 2004 after Gerrard played a perfect defence-splitting pass through to Henry.

A forgettable game at Euro 2012 finished 1-1.

Their most recent meeting saw France win 3-2 at home in a friendly.

Edited by Darius1998

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SouthCoastRed said:

I woke up this morning thinking this 100%.

Then Morocco happened :D

Yeah, nothing is out of the question.

Personally, I think Croatia definitely loses to England, but we lost to France so many times in every sport that big numbers would have to return it once. :lol:

If Argentina makes it, I fully expect every refereeing decision to go Messi's way, regardless of who they play against.

5 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

Poor Kyle Mpabbè fearing for his life :(

Back in 2016, someone on the FM Touch forums asked why he couldn't find a young wonderkid called Kevin M'Bappe in his save. When I tried to correct him, he got a bit rude and SHOUTED AT ME. :D

Anyway... the game.

Look, my expectations for England were so low before this tournament that I didn't think we'd make it out of the group, let alone to the Quarters. I certainly don't expect us to beat France tonight - just that we at least give them a competitive game and don't roll over.

This really is a 'make or break' game for Southgate as England manager, but his record against elite teams full of world-class talent is... not great. It's against teams like France that we get overly cautious and make too many silly mistakes that ultimately cost us.

I think we're on our way now. France to win 2-1, in 90 minutes.

As they say, this is the real test.

So far England has been tough to watch until they take the lead, but then the shackles come off and it looks so easy.

Now if only Southgate can make them play decently from the kick-off.

This is a game that makes or breaks the generation. Yes, you made semi-final and a final, but the only win you have against big teams was against Germany and they're far off from glory days.

Usually matches like these definite an entire period. France is the current champion, they haven't been as impressive as 4 years ago but still the deepest team left in the tournament and Mbappe is playing like a man possessed. Beat them and trophy is there for the taking. Lose and it's back to England not being taken seriously.

Just now, anagain said:

How nervous are well all...on a scale of 1 to 10?

I'm fluttering somewhere around 350!

Confident but still nervy....so hyped for this...if we go out then we've gone out to a great team, if we win then we finally show we are top tier...either way we come out tonight in a good way in my book.