QF3: Morocco vs Portugal, 3PM GMT, Al Thumana Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

Two countries with a fair amount of shared history go head-to-head in today's first quarter-final. Portugal come into this having thumped Switzerland 6-1, backed by a Goncalo Ramos treble after Cristiano Ronaldo was dropped for throwing a strop. He is expected to remain on the bench today as well.

Morocco, on the other hand, knocked Spain out on penalties despite their neighbours winning a passing trophy for the fourth game in a row. They have lacked a cutting edge in most matches but Morocco have been solid defensively and have some of Africa's best players on show. With a win today, they can complete the re-reconquista become the first African country to reach a World Cup semi-final.

Past quarter finals

This is already Morocco's best ever performance at a World Cup finals, surpassing the round of 16 appearance from 1986.

Portugal are in the quarters for just the third time in their history and have never lost at this stage in a previous appearance. They went on to finish 3rd in 1966 and 4th in 2006.

Lineups

FjntRIDWAAA9GqX?format=jpg&name=small

FjntqwEXwAg3REC?format=jpg&name=small

Past meetings

The two countries have met twice, both in the World Cup. Morocco ran out 3-1 winners in 1986 while Portugal won 1-0 in 2018 thanks to an early Cristiano Ronaldo goal.

Edited by Darius1998

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me hopes Ramos gets a couple more goals today, so Santos can say, "We don't need you anymore, Cristiano. Go back to your massive yacht so we can concentrate on winning the World Cup."

Yeah, I'm sick of the Ronaldo circus. I hope the camera operators focus on the pitch rather than the bench this time, because Portugal can (and do) play some fantastic football without him.

Morocco have not yet conceded to an opposition player, but I think the wait for an African semi-finalist will continue. Portugal are just too talented and too smart to make the same mistakes Spain did.

Portugal are due a return to form.  So not expecting much football to be played here.  Scrappy midfield battle, no shots on target.  Then when they still haven't broken Morocco down in the last half hour, Ronaldo will come on and start blasting free kicks at the first man and blaming his teammates for it.

Calling 1-0 in extra time but I'm not sure which way.

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Four players walking a tightrope for Portugal should they make the SF.

Surprised to see Mazrouai on the bench for Morocco.

On the subs list, his name was even greyed out. Injured?