Netherlands vs Argentina QF, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, enigmatic said:

Had two shootouts on the same day in the last one. No surprises your lot was involved in one of them, the other saw Spain dumped out in what would have been a great underdog win if it didn't involve Russia

Good shout. That Denmark match also involved Modrić missing a penalty at the very end, then barely scoring in the shootout down the middle.

While we're at penalties, Argentina takes the lead again.

They're 5-1 at World Cups now, with Germany and Croatia being 4-0.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

He was kicked out after the groups at EURO, then announced his retirement, but somehow he's still here.

Do national FAs get slots and then announce which ref is going or it's directly delegated by FIFA?

He also gave that disgusting red+penalty to Tomoro in Milan-Chelsea match a few months ago.

Just now, VamPook said:

Think Emi Martinez has proven again penalties aren't a lottery

He made you think that after all the one-sided shootouts so far?

Penalties aren't a lottery, they're decided by players. Not goalkeepers.

If you shoot precisely and powerfully enough, keeper can't save it even if he knows where you're shooting.

Take Oršić's penalty from today as best example. Alisson's save attempt was as good as it gets, but the shot couldn't have been any more precise and it's unsaveable.

4 minutes ago, Wiggins Top Boys said:

Exactly what I expect from the Argentines 

Shame we can’t have Argentina vs Uruguay with a Brazilian referee in a WC final. :D 

I’m all aboard the Argie bus

love a team that has passion and dosent conform to how the sport wants you to act like

football is meant to have hatred and nastiness, all this patty cake stuff from the rest of the teams is embarrassing 

no one wants to upset anyone anymore. Get into peoples faces make it horrible, so I applaud the Argies for having that about them

Yeah, I only recently realised this. I thought Pep's hate stemmed from some poor calls against us (one being the MIlner playing Sane onside v yourselves), but to see it went back to Barca and is still ongoing and Lahoz continues to lean into it... that's pretty funny

Edited by Bootador

That was an all time great WC match wasn't it? 

I was in a pub with 4 rowdy loud Argentine fans and 2 quiet Dutch girls. And everyone else clocked it and started cheering on Holland in support of the girls. Was hilarious. That last minute equaliser erupted like England had scored. The lads got the last laugh in the end. But what a game. All time classic for me

8 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Nicolas Otamendi: “I celebrated in face because there was a one Netherlands player, who at every penalty kick we had, was coming and saying things to one of our players. The picture was taken out of context, and we celebrated in response to it.

They didn't show much of that (enough to know there was some needle but not enough to judge). He was referring to Dumfries though, assume that's why he got sent off during the shootout.

Fell asleep and missed the 2nd half of the match and most of extra time :D 

Croatia did a job on me and wore me out. Long days here, the late games kick off at 10pm here so with injury time, extra time and penalties this game didn't finish until 1am. Makes for a long day and when you get two matches like this it is genuinely knackering to watch.

8 hours ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

No doubt. As with the match itself though, you'd think it was only Argentina at it if you read this thread.

Fair enough. I only saw the penalties.

Just bizarre to see the Argies pissed off with a team for gamesmanship or whatever you want to call it, rather than the other way round :D

1 minute ago, DJ said:

Messi celebrating his goal. Let's not start some bs narrative that the Dutch were the only ones provoking here. 
image.png.4097bd10bfe92db57f47efa3bb1bee7b.png

Should have been retaken anyway, but yeah, Lahoz.

image.png.3c96571b8ff558c89bbd57d6b28b88e8.png

They generally only force retakes if the encroaching player gets to the ball