Netherlands vs Argentina QF, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

I'm not even sure this is true. I feel like I've seen so many people say it's mostly boring matches bar the final half hour or so. Loads of 0-0s too. 

I've seen about 8 games so I'm not in a position to comment on the actual quality of the tournament but for every, "BEST WC EVER" post, there's an equal amount of "this is ****". 

Yeah, it's been a fun tournament on the pitch but it's still had a lot of crap.

Recency bias comes into play as well

I have really enjoyed it though, but then I always do.

Edited by ginnybob

1 minute ago, JD nawrat said:

I'm not even sure this is true. I feel like I've seen so many people say it's mostly boring matches bar the final half hour or so. Loads of 0-0s too. 

I've seen about 8 games so I'm not in a position to comment on the actual quality of the tournament but for every, "BEST WC EVER" post, there's an equal amount of "this is ****". 

There's been enough moments to last half a dozen world cups imo, tournaments are defined by their moments. Of course there's been some **** matches.

Just now, Bootador said:

Maybe there's something in the timing, like as opposed to the end of long gruelling (european) season doing it mid season before everyone is exhausted works for international football.

Not going to lie, but I'm quite enjoying snuggling down and watching World Cup in this weather.

The games i have seen have been pretty bad too. Like there's been some great storylines such as Morocco beating Spain and Croatia beating Brazil, but in terms of footballing quality those were absolute dirge. 

E: and imo, 120 mins of **** football doesn't turn into high quality just because the plucky underdog won on penalties. A **** match is a **** match. 

Edited by JD nawrat

Just now, JD nawrat said:

The games i have seen have been pretty bad too. Like there's been some great storylines such as Morocco beating Spain and Croatia beating Brazil, but in terms of footballing quality those were absolute dirge. 

World Cup stopped being about the best quality football in the world quite a while ago (if you want that you watch the Champions League which is top quality and incredible knockout football combined), it's about pure entertainment now and it's delivering it in spades.

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

World Cup stopped being about the best quality football in the world quite a while ago (if you want that you watch the Champions League which is top quality and incredible knockout football combined), it's about pure entertainment now and it's delivering it in spades.

There was about 8 mins of entertainment in Morocco v Spain and it was in the penalty shootout :lol:

obviously that's just one small example but i think "pure entertainment" "in spades" has to be hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

I still have absolutely no idea if the Dutch keeper is any good or not. He's made some perfectly fine saves you'd expect any keeper to make, and the goals conceded haven't been his fault. 

Seems like a solid keeper who won't make mistakes, better than some liability.

I still have absolutely no idea if the Dutch keeper is any good or not. He's made some perfectly fine saves you'd expect any keeper to make, and the goals conceded haven't been his fault. 

And another perfectly acceptable save that any other keeper would make 

Just now, Harryseaess said:

How has he gone for so long without being a number 1 anywhere? Only seems to have got his first starting position last year at 27.

Goalkeeper position is strange.

There's only one per team with next to no rotation. And it's way more reliant on having the right mentality than any other position.

I don't know about Noppert, but many careers get derailed with one mistake or injury and most of them don't get another chance.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Goalkeeper position is strange.

There's only one per team with next to no rotation. And it's way more reliant on having the right mentality than any other position.

I don't know about Noppert, but many careers get derailed with one mistake or injury and most of them don't get another chance.

True. Would just expect a goalkeeper to get a proper break at some point before 27 if they're going to make it at a high level.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

14 yellows, Samuel also got one on the bench.

Idk what to think about this, probably Argentina because Martinez is great at penalties.

14 yellows and counting. There could be more cards to come, me thinks... :D

Not sure I'd want to watch Netherlands vs Croatia tbh

Would surely mean the other finalist is a shoe-in to win :D 

I'd actually really like one of Netherlands/Croatia to win it all just because it's a first time winner. but yeah i don't believe for one second that the quality of football would be riveting :D

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

True. Would just expect a goalkeeper to get a proper break at some point before 27 if they're going to make it at a high level.

Same as Emi Martinez, wasn't really a starter until he was that age