Portugal: with or without Ronaldo?

decapitated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63901332

The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) has denied that Cristiano Ronaldo threatened to leave the World Cup.

Portuguese publication Record claims the forward, 37, made the threat after being told he would not start their last-16 game against Switzerland.

In the previous game against South Korea, the Portugal captain reacted angrily when he was substituted.

The FPF said: "At no time did Cristiano Ronaldo threaten to leave the national team during the stay in Qatar."

Ronaldo left Manchester United by mutual agreement before Portugal's World Cup opener after a controversial interview in which the five-time Ballon d'Or winner criticised the club.

Ronaldo was substituted off the field in both of Portugal's opening games and coach Fernando Santos said he "didn't like" Ronaldo's reaction when he was again replaced during the 2-1 group defeat by South Korea.

Goncalo Ramos started instead of Ronaldo against Switzerland and the 21-year-old scored a hat-trick in the 6-1 victory.

I really don't think they need him especially if he's acting like he is. I do wonder if Santos will be ordered to restore him to the first 11 against Morocco by the FA , especially given Ronaldo refusing to join the substitutes training session after the Switzerland and insisting on training with the first 11.

They don't need him. The Switzerland game and a few games he missed previously made that clear. He won't like it though and Santos will have to work a plan to minimize the damage to the team. It is clear that Santos understands Ronaldo is done, but also knows he has to handle carefully. I would be surprised if the FA forces Santos to reinstate him. That would mess things up inside the team.

For the other teams still in the tournament, it would be good that Ronaldo plays as much as possible though and from a record point of view, I would like to see Ronaldo reach 200 caps, but he doesn't need to win the World Cup for that.

• Administrators

Portugal much better without him on current evidence but he still has a part to play if his head is screwed on.

He seems unwilling to be a team player though, came straight on and was taking free kicks still when its been forever since he was any good at those with consistency. 

If Portugal were heading into ET and he was coming on to play through that, is still a threat. On the other hand if he was starting they'd be looking to pull him off. 

Just no way he can play 3 games of upto 120 minutes each in 8 days (assuming they reach the final). 

Against England or France I think their chances are much better without him starting but he is a circus / celeb act now. Coming on as a sub like he were a seasoned ex pro playing for a semi pro side.

You say that but Santos started Ronaldo for all the group games and only seemingly dropped him from the R16 game because of the reaction to being subbed, rather than because he was rubbish. Maybe there was a bit of both in there, and maybe some of the Portuguese posters can enlighten us, but I get the impression if there wasn't such a strop in the South Korea game then he may well have started again vs. Switzerland.

Agree with Lucas he still has a role. Whatever you think of him as a person, he still scores a lot of goals and there aren't many better genuine strikers at this tournament, You bring him off the bench with the game tied, or with Portugal losing, and he will command the attention of defenders regardless of his age. They're not going to be ignoring Ronaldo when he's loitering near their penalty area.

Great option to bring off the bench but he should not be starting.

Ramos links up well with the midfield and wider forwards and has also done very well with Benfica. Seeing as he's going to be the main man for years to come (unless Andre Silva rediscovers his form), they should continue with him.

He’s in bad form and it’s fun to laugh at him but I don’t think he’s finished, not for Portugal. It would look mad to drop Ramos after their last game but Ronaldo still has a role to play in the squad. Whether he can accept that or not is on him.

3 hours ago, aggressive minor said:

He could have done what Del Piero did for Italy essentially, but he’s an egomaniac.

This is the bit for me. If he could swallow his ego, he could still offer a lot. Imagine being battered defensively for 60 minutes, then a focused Ronaldo comes on, expending all his energy making his trademark runs off you. 

If Ronaldo is a real leader, he would realise Portugal wants to win the world cup, not just Ronaldo. But he isn't able. I hope he has a good dentist because of all the teeth grinding.

If you then look at Argentina, the team wants to send out Messi in the best way possible.

10 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

You say that but Santos started Ronaldo for all the group games and only seemingly dropped him from the R16 game because of the reaction to being subbed, rather than because he was rubbish. Maybe there was a bit of both in there, and maybe some of the Portuguese posters can enlighten us, but I get the impression if there wasn't such a strop in the South Korea game then he may well have started again vs. Switzerland.

We don't really know. The manager said he was dropped because of disciplinary reasons, but it might have been a good excuse to see if the team works better without him as well (as it has worked in the past, in some friendlies and minor games in which he was unavailable).

7 minutes ago, aggressive minor said:

If he gets some humility and plays regularly for a decent team, then he could do a sub role for Portugal.

I wonder if his decline is terminal or if he can get back to last years standard with some regular game time.

Is he's going to Saudi Arabia there's no coming back from that. He'll just lose tons of competitive rhythm 

3 hours ago, aggressive minor said:

That I agree with. You know he’ll want 200 caps too!

I think they'll get him his 200 caps and then that'll be that. 

E: maybe if he's incredible in those 4(?) games then they'll keep him in the squad/team but even if he's rotten i think they gift him the 4. 

Edited by JD nawrat

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. Portugal has some great players and doesn't necessarily need Ronaldo to perform well. But let's remember his impact on the pitch and his ability to score crucial goals. That being said, if he's not in the right headspace and causing trouble in the squad, it might be better for everyone if he takes a step back. On another note, have you seen where Lionel Messi lives? His lionel messi house argentina is something else, I've seen some pics, and it's seriously next level! It's a great example of how successful footballers can live. The man has earned it, after all. Can't wait to see what he'll do next on the pitch. He always brings his A-game. Cheers!

Edited by MichaelShort