Resolution change on Mac Full Screen 14" Macbook with Notch

Surely i can't be the only one with this issue..

When launching FM23 since the most recent update it now appears to try and hide the notch by adding black borders all around the top and side of the screen of my 14" MacBook Pro.

I have used two different versions of Mac OS Ventura including the most up to date and have also reset back to Monterey.

When the game runs it forces all other "Desktops" on the MacBook to the be the same reduced size too.

I have fully reset the Mac, uninstalled several times, tried steam launch options, adjusting in game resolution does nothing.

This game now makes it feel like I'm using a 12" laptop rather than 14" and not even on FM when the game is running..

I've tried so much but it seems that something has changed with the most recent update which added apple silicon support as it now appears to use a scaling feature.

Not sure why we are we no longer able to use custom resolutions to help issues like this.

This image shows the large borders around all sides that shouldn't be there.

spacer.png

Edited by we88y

Hello again. After updating my OS to current latest version which is macOS Ventura (13.1) my game have become fullscreen again.

IMG_2875.thumb.JPG.dc7e3a0493f52264dd0e3b9cddeb8f2e.JPG

But on the Apple Arcade version on Football Manager 2023 Touch, it is still unplayable for me because of this fullscreen issue.

IMG_2877.thumb.jpg.b08f5be9d7f8e3aac362c185e7abe727.jpg

You can compare the two pictures and look at the difference at the top and the sides. When the game shrinks below the notch it really kills the beautiful display. I found a temporary solution for Football Manager 2023 Touch version which is the built-in zoom function of the OS. When I start the game in windowed mode and arrange the window of the game to the edge of the screen and fullscreen zoom into it. But the problem is when you move mouse pointer to the edges zoomed area is moving. If anyone knows "How to screen not move when mouse pointer reaches edge of the screen while zoomed in?" then we can play this game finally. This fullscreen issue is really annoying.

As you see the below picture if  I place the game window like that and zoom in I get the fullscreen as I desired.

zoom1.thumb.jpg.d0a69009e629832aea9983b4f64c61cc.jpg

The final result will be like that.

zoom2.thumb.jpg.81d983f8159282ea92295db15a265628.jpg

23 minutes ago, we88y said:

Ah, I just quickly updated to 13.1 in the hope it would make my game fullscreen but unfortunately, it's still the same :(

So strange how it is working for you and not for me.

I also tried some "Info.plist" modifications on the game. I am sharing it with you. Make sure the game and all other dependencies like "Steam or Epic Game Launcher" is closed.

I have the Steam version of the game.  Go to the "/Users/"Yourusername"/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2023/fm.app/Contents". And change the Info.plist that I shared with you. Make sure make your backup before pasting.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k79xrsbfoh0kt8x/Info.plist/file

Info.plist

Edited by Pywoll

4 minutes ago, Pywoll said:

I also tried some "Info.plist" modifications on the game. I am sharing it with you. Make sure the game and all other dependencies like "Steam or Epic Game Launcher" is closed.

I have the Steam version of the game.  Go to the "/Users/"Yourusername"/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Football Manager 2023/fm.app/Contents". And change the Info.plist that I shared with you. Make sure make your backup before pasting.

Info.plist 2.89 kB · 2 downloads

For some reason I'm unable to download that file as it immediately says "file has moved since you downloaded it.

I'm familiar with these files as I went through them when this issue first started. What is it that you are changing?

Thanks for your help!

Same issue for me! When i initially updated to the new version of FM it was fine for about a week. Then one evening i went to open the game and was met with a black screen and the game refused to load! I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. When i reinstalled it now shrinks the screen down! Really annoying! I contacted SEGA support about the issue aswell, the guy wrote back to me once, i replied and sent screenshots. Haven't heard anything back from them a week later!

Going to try and update to 13.1 and see if that does anything!

Further to Pywoll fixing his game above I've now managed to get mine to work correctly too.

It took a fair bit of trial and error and I'm not absolutely sure how it worked finally

1. Right click on the FM icon in the dock then select Options > Show in Finder
  2. Right click on the FM icon and select 'Show Package Contents'
  3. Enter the 'Contents' folder and copy the info.plist file to a different location to back up
  4. Open the info.plist file with the TextEdit application
  5. Find the following code snippets:

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <true/>

<key>NSPrefersDisplaySafeAreaCompatibilityMode</key>
        <true/>

Change both to 'false' rather than true so the last line of each snipped says <false/>
  6. File > Save
  7. Attempt to open FM23 and you should be met with "The application fm can't be opened" and a Steam window containing "OS Error"
  8. Go to your steam library and right click on FM23 and select properties
  9. In the Properties window go to 'Local Files' and click 'Verify integrity of game files'
  10. That will allow the game to open and install the new info.plist file again.

I then repeated this several times going around in circles, including a few restarts to my Mac and all of a sudden despite the redownloaded info.plist file it just worked..

That may help or it may not. FM really needs to just fix this asap.

@we88y Thanks for sharing your valuable tutorial. I hope other people too get their true fullscreen option. And yes the developers may offer us the setting to "Scale fit below to camera" option as in "Get info" section on the macOS menu. So people can use whatever they are desired. 

On 15/12/2022 at 09:39, we88y said:

Further to Pywoll fixing his game above I've now managed to get mine to work correctly too.

It took a fair bit of trial and error and I'm not absolutely sure how it worked finally

1. Right click on the FM icon in the dock then select Options > Show in Finder
  2. Right click on the FM icon and select 'Show Package Contents'
  3. Enter the 'Contents' folder and copy the info.plist file to a different location to back up
  4. Open the info.plist file with the TextEdit application
  5. Find the following code snippets:

<key>LSUIElement</key>
        <true/>

<key>NSPrefersDisplaySafeAreaCompatibilityMode</key>
        <true/>

Change both to 'false' rather than true so the last line of each snipped says <false/>
  6. File > Save
  7. Attempt to open FM23 and you should be met with "The application fm can't be opened" and a Steam window containing "OS Error"
  8. Go to your steam library and right click on FM23 and select properties
  9. In the Properties window go to 'Local Files' and click 'Verify integrity of game files'
  10. That will allow the game to open and install the new info.plist file again.

I then repeated this several times going around in circles, including a few restarts to my Mac and all of a sudden despite the redownloaded info.plist file it just worked..

That may help or it may not. FM really needs to just fix this asap.

I signed up just to post that I really hope SI fix this problem - I hate losing so much screen real estate and would like the option at least to disable this in game or it just turned off completely.

I have found that the editing of the info.plist file will only break the game if not using Rosetta - so if you tick the box to say ‘run with Rosetta’ in the properties of the file, the game will launch fine and the notch won’t be ‘hidden’ (if you’ve ran the game and then edited the file, you’ll need to relog / reboot as I think the .app file gets cached or something and it’ll look like your change did nothing). Also, in your guide, you only need to edit the bottom config value (NSPrefersDisplaySafeAreaCompatibilityMode) not the top one. Obviously ignore step 8 onwards on your guide as that just resets the info file and won’t fix the issue.

I don’t want to run the game in Rosetta though so please fix this SI!

Edited by doubleluckstur

On 20/12/2022 at 18:39, jamiemcaaa said:

Just tried to run with rosetta, doesn't fix it for me! Even with editing the info file, still nothing! Any ideas how I can fix this? @doubleluckstur

If you go to the link below:

2 hours ago, Arla2002 said:

See this link for another workaround for the problem with the notch:
https://sortitoutsi.net/content/61725/football-manager-23-operating-in-the-window-after-the-update-on-macbook-m1-max

I don't know if it works since I have an M1 Air without the notch.

… then this should fix the problem. Removing the code signature via codesign in the terminal resolved it not opening for me. I would like an official solution though as editing the app file and removing codesign just to get around this problem sucks

• SI Staff

There have been some issues in this area we're looking into. Creating direct support tickets will usually help with us tailoring assistance to your particular model and set-up through here: https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

When it comes to solutions being offered by third parties, keep in mind that we don't recommend them because they often may in turn create other problems which complicates matter further.