Japan vs Croatia, Round of 16, 3PM GMT, Al Janoub Stadium

The_jagster

The red circle on white of Japan takes on the red squares on white of Croatia in today's first match. The winner plays Brazil or Korea on Friday.

JApan.jpg.bd29ac7294c6a839a15f579ae06d4909.jpg

Croatia16.jpg.34a56a02641727364c190cfdc4adb234.jpg

How did they get here?

Japan: Came second to Saudi Arabia in the last group stage in Asia qualifiers; famously beat Spain and Germany to win their group despite a loss to Costa Rica

Croatia: Beat Russia to first in qualifying, put four past Canada and managed goalless draws against Morocco and Belgium.

Much last 16 history?

Japan: Yes, but no further. Lost to Turkey 0-1 in 2002, Paraguay on pens in 2010 and Belgium 2-3 in 2018. At least they scored against Belgium, and only a late rally turned things round in a heartbreaking loss at the end of normal time.

Croatia: a young country but also qualifying for the first time in 1998, they have reached this stage less often than Japan, beating Romania in 1998 1-0 and beating Denmark on pens in 2018 after a 1-1 draw (though it has to be said, would have won it in extra time were it not for a foul on Rebic who just had to slot the ball into an empty net).

Previous meetings?

Two forgettable matches in world cups, 0-0 in 2006 and 1-0 to Croatia in 1998 when Suker scored the winner

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the toughest tie to call in this round.

Croatia have got progressively better with each game so far, while Japan have shown that even in tough situations, they can beat anyone (and lose to anyone :p).

Reckon this goes down to penalties, and that Japan's rotten luck in the last 16 continues. Croatia to scrape through.

Subjective opinion time:

I don't actually think Japan are that good. I listened to the radio for the Germany match and they were being crucified for how passive and defensive they were, then they turned up for the last quarter and made Germany pay for missed chances. They were absolutely dreadful against Costa Rica, boring rubbish (maybe 0-0 fairer than losing). Then they had 15 minutes of decent pressure against Spain and happened to score twice, the first goal was a poor effort from Simon in goal.

The only Croatia game I watched in full was their Canada win, but from the highlights Belgium should have sent them home and they didn't offer much in terms of chances against Morocco. I feel like both teams should really be fancying their chances here but will prioritise keeping it tight at the back. Modric is better than anyone Japan have and I think Croatia should have enough to cause problems over 90 minutes.

I took the afternoon off for this so I'm hoping this will be a classic.

Edited by The_jagster

• Administrators

Square pegs, round holes come to mind. Hoping Japan manage another great result. Didn't watch their match with Costa Rica.

26 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I don't actually think Japan are that good. I listened to the radio for the Germany match and they were being crucified for how passive and defensive they were, then they turned up for the last quarter and made Germany pay for missed chances. They were absolutely dreadful against Costa Rica, boring rubbish (maybe 0-0 fairer than losing). Then they had 15 minutes of decent pressure against Spain and happened to score twice, the first goal was a poor effort from Simon in goal.

Germany should've been 2 or 3 up by halftime, then Japan's coach completely changed the setup and Germany got FM'd.

Against Costa Rica they shown that they lack quality against teams that aren't going full on attacking and putting pressure on them.

Against Spain they were much better defensively, but again...FM'd them. Spain also kind of stoped pressuring after Germany took the 3-2 lead against Costa Rica. They wasted time in stoppage passing it around the back.

The only Croatia game I watched in full was their Canada win, but from the highlights Belgium should have sent them home and they didn't offer much in terms of chances against Morocco. I feel like both teams should really be fancying their chances here but will prioritise keeping it tight at the back. Modric is better than anyone Japan have and I think Croatia should have enough to cause problems over 90 minutes.

Morocco was more or less similar to England-US, with neither team willing to take any risks, barely any chances, one on each side.

Canada was dismantled because they couldn't defend and Belgium game controlled very well up until final 20ish minutes, like it usually happens with a desperate team. Was really poor there and saved only by Lukaku's ridiculous lack of composure in front of the goal.

Biggest advantage Japan have is that their coach will change things right away if they're not doing well, even change the formation, while Croatian coach won't sub anyone in defense or midfield even if they're completely done.

I expect a careful approach, 0-0 or 1-0 Croatia win.

Barišić playing instead of Sosa is a huge downgrade on defense and could be exploited. Japan doesn't have Itakura who's suspended.

If recent World Cup history is to be repeated this year, whoever wins this game will beat Brazil in the quarterfinals (Brazil lost in the QFs in 2006, 2010 and 2018)… :D 

Just now, Constantine said:

I thought he did well in two games I've watched. And I'd take him over Petkovic in this game, he's more likely to unlock Japanese defence...

Petković's best attribute is probably his passing with back to the goal.

Livaja was good against Canada and absolutely useless against Belgium.

3 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Can't watch the game, but dunno why Japan keep waiting until the second half to field Mitoma. 

Edit: all of their goals in this world cup have been scored with him on the field :D 

I don't know, it seems like they're using Maeda to tire opposition in the first half before unleashing Mitoma and Ito after the break.

But Dalic seems to let them have the ball, like they did v Costa Rica, not exposing or allowing any space for Japanese attackers to run into.

Kamada has looked a class above his teammates in general, so a shot for a throw-in is a bit of a surprise. I think Mowbray and Jenas are going a bit overboard on how well they are playing though, most of the time both teams have had fairly sterile possession. In reality Croatia are probably quite happy for Japan to be aiming crosses for Maeda.

Edit: lol

Edited by The_jagster