England vs France - The Buildup

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for it. Both sides got pace and talent in final third, both sides got weaknesses at the back. 50/50. Going to be a game where it's decided in a moment.

Hope we stick to a 4-3-3. Be brave. Can understand the logic of maybe wanting an extra defender to protect the defence overall, but in that case, just sit one of the CMs alongside Rice, even if it means making a big decision starting say Phillips. 3 at the back IMO won't make us any more secure, probably just means we sit further back allowing Mbappe to pick the ball up more closer to the goal, where his acceleration will be just as lethal if there's 5-10 yards to run in, rather than 40+. And we saw from yesterday, he can just shift and smash it top bins anyway :D  

Edited by pearcey_90

I'm excited, I think should we have more of a wingback system with Shaw and Walker keeping an eye out for Mbappe, it's not going to be easy but no team is unbeatable, sure France had their first clean sheet and hopefully we can find a way past Lloris I mean it's going to be an epic showdown between Walker Vs Mbappe, Maguire vs Giroud (or something like that) but I'm sure there WILL be goals. I'll be watching it at home as usual but I'm ok with that as I've got my two County socks I wore yesterday and they seem to be good luck :cool:. I think the formation needs tweaking but only for wingbacks as I said earlier but I think rotating it too much would not benefit us but for France but I'm not Southgate :)

Edited by thefmveteran86

I think it'll be hard, I'd have France as the best team alongside Brazil even without Mbappe. Instead they have strength across the pitch and the best footballer in the world.

We might nick it but we need good fortune, but given the way both teams play I think it will be in the balance until the final whistle.

I am annoyingly busy until early evening so will be making a mad dash home. I had a minor freakout that I would be missing the match but fortunately it's the 7pm not 3pm slot.

It's a great match for sure and nothing wrong with a bit of a buildup, but it's still "just" a QF match. You were there the last time as well :D

If you win you still have a way to go, if you lose, this WC will probably be considered a failure. 

• Administrators

On paper, up there with one of the games of the WC. 

Think the teams are very even, though Mbappe the standout and England's weakest spot is the third CM or Maguire if he has a bad day, but he's been doing fairly well.

Really excited for this, and assuming Spain get past Morroco then the path to the final for whatever team looks immense.

Think we will do it. France won't play like Senegal and will look to play a bit higher and more open than teams going ultra defensive so that might suit us, and hopefully we can win.

I am absolutely dreading it though because the France game is on my birthday so a defeat will really make things feel much worse :D 

Kinda feels like it's all been building up to this, I had a bit of a worry just before kick off last night that we'd all been looking ahead to the France game and would be complacent against Senegal. 

I think France will edge it and I think they're the favourites for the tournament. But also, if England can win then I think they can go all the way. Feels a bit like whoever beats France has a great shout of winning the whole thing, whether that's England or someone else.

I'll be watching in the pub, booked a table last week (again that complacency against Senegal!)

It's going to be tense but there'll be no shame in losing to this French team.

50-50 for me, I reckon both defences are ropey so there could be goals in the game

noticed Poland were targeting France down the right side where they have Kounde playing as a RB despite the fact he's normally a CB for his club, could be a place for England to get something from and Lloris is always good for a mistake but the English defence has similar as I mentioned

Edited by TM

2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

England obviously have a chance. I rate France's as slightly higher because they have Mbappé and some better players in more areas than England, but it's not like England are massive underdogs or something. Probably 55-45 in France's favour.

Think 55-45 in France's favour is about where I'm at as well. Both good teams, both have reasons to think they can win, both aren't perfect. Think there'll only be one goal in it. 

I consider France favourites but as others have said there are similarities in the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. I think we can win if we have a good day and Walker is fit enough to face 90+ minutes of Mbappé. It's perfectly teed up as one of those games where you have that glimmer of hope so a defeat will sting.

But - I'm so excited about this and future tournaments. Bellingham and Foden are genuine superstars and we'll have them for 2 or even 3 more World Cups.

And if the EFL had changed all the kick-offs before hand - I wonder whether we'd have got certain posters saying how arrogant the English are for assuming they'd make the Quarter-Finals.

It's a difficult one anyway - as it would've also inconvienced a lot of people for no reason if the kick-off changes had been made and England were on the other side of the draw or already out of the competition.

First game for England on this World Cup that isn't basically just higher intensity training fixture. I'm leaning more toward France on this one but that English front three (if Gareth doesn't bench Foden) is just too juicy...

I don't know. Hoping for a spectacle, mentally preparing for a drab one goal affair.

It's just one of those games between two big teams at a tournament. Unless it's a horrible matchup or some weird thing where one team's record is bad against another (Italy-Germany is an example), then sometimes one will win, sometimes the other. It looks like we could get a few of them in the QFs - already have Holland-Argentina and may well have Spain-Portugal. Also big matches that can go either way.

43 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Why was this not anticipated ahead of time?

I know our game against Forest Green was a 1pm kick off this weekend just gone - but being nearer the Welsh border I think the risk of either England or Wales finishing 2nd in the group was a higher probability than one of them making it to the QF. Guess you also don't want to rearrange it too far ahead, then look silly if we're out early.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/05/king-kylian-v-prince-harry-french-media-world-cup-quarter-final

5000.jpg?width=620&quality=85&dpr=1&s=no

After Sunday’s matches set the scene for a battle between the two countries – historic rivals on and off the pitch despite the Entente Cordiale – Eurosport carried a picture of Harry Kane and Kylian Mbappé and declared: “The quarter-final on Saturday will have an unusual flavour: for the first time in history the French team and the English team will cross swords in a direct elimination match”.

France Info headlined with France meeting its “best enemy” and “Prince Harry” referring to Kane making the “French kingdom tremble”.

No reference to the Anglo-French rivalry is complete without a reference to “perfidious Albion” and France Info did not disappoint. “Between France and England, [football] history dates back more than a century to the first match on 1 November 1906 [which England won 15-0],” it said.

“Since then, Perfidious Albion have won 23 of the 40 official duels, with 11 victories for the French and six draws. But 16 of these successes were achieved before the war … In the 21st century, Les Bleus have won four of the six encounters, with one defeat and one draw. And while this match has become a European classic, it will be the first time the two nations have faced each other in an international tournament’s decisive match.”

L’Équipe carried a photo of Mbappé with the headline: “God Save Notre [Our] King”. The French crown should have been shared with Olivier Giroud, who became France’s leading goalscorer after Sunday’s match against Poland when he recorded his 52nd and surpassed the 13-year-old record set by Thierry Henry.

The regional newspaper Sud-Ouest asked if Les Bleus were “prêts à manger du lion”, ready to eat the Lions, while Le Figaro said facing England could be France’s first serious challenge. “For those who thought that the French team’s journey so far was too easy, it is possible that they will change their minds next Saturday, on the occasion of a quarter-final between Les Bleus and England, which is as explosive as it is attractive .

“The two teams have not faced each other since 13 June 2017, when Didier Deschamps’ men got the better of the Three Lions in a friendly match at the Stade de France. But in five years, a lot of water has flowed under the bridges of the Seine and the Thames. Since the start of the competition, both teams have impressed … this means that both Les Bleus and the Three Lions will have plenty of confidence going into the quarter-final.”

Many French commentators relayed remarks from across the Channel indicating admiration – some saw fear – of Mbappé. The football website maxifoot.fr said he was “already causing “deep concern” in the England camp.

22 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

It's just one of those games between two big teams at a tournament. Unless it's a horrible matchup or some weird thing where one team's record is bad against another (Italy-Germany is an example), then sometimes one will win, sometimes the other. It looks like we could get a few of them in the QFs - already have Holland-Argentina and may well have Spain-Portugal. Also big matches that can go either way.

As a neutral, sure, but as an Englishman, France is definitely not “just another match”.

Even if we don’t have the football history with them, like we do Germany, Argentina or Scotland, France is still England’s #1 rival nation in general and the punchline to all our jokes. Or was when I grew up, hopefully it’s a lot less politically incorrect now.

Yeah it’s kind of daft and cheesy if you think about it for more than 5 seconds, but it’s still hard to shake a game vs France means a lot more than a game vs other big footballing nations like Spain or Brazil or Italy or whoever, simply because France is our biggest historical foe.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/France/

England and France played in the group stages of Euro 2012, honestly can't remember that game :D 2004 was the one when England were leading right until the end then Zidane scored a FK and Gerrard made a mistake (I think) for France to win from a penalty

only other one I can remember is the Euro 92 game where not a lot happened but Basile Boli more likely nowadays would have been sent off by VAR as he headbutted Stuart Pearce in that game

France: Lloris, Debuchy, Rami, Mexes, Evra, Nasri, Cabaye (Ben Arfa 84), Diarra, Malouda (Martin 84), Ribery, Benzema.

Subs Not Used: Mandanda, Giroud, Matuidi, Reveillere, Menez, M'Vila, Valbuena, Clichy, Koscielny, Carrasso.

Goals: Nasri 39.

England: Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker (Henderson 77), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Defoe 77), Young, Welbeck (Walcott 90).

Subs Not Used: Green, Carroll, Baines, Jones, Jagielka, Downing, Butland.

Booked: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young.

Goals: Lescott 30.

----------

Not great sides in 2012.

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Can't see Argyle fans getting back from Cambrdige in time even if they kicked it off at 10am :D

Surprised the games have not been moved to the Sunday already, last weekend a lot of the games were moved to the Friday Night.

2 hours ago, m_fenton said:

I know our game against Forest Green was a 1pm kick off this weekend just gone - but being nearer the Welsh border I think the risk of either England or Wales finishing 2nd in the group was a higher probability than one of them making it to the QF. Guess you also don't want to rearrange it too far ahead, then look silly if we're out early.

But still. It's the world cup.

A fair few people going to games would probably still like to watch the other games regardless, so could easily have made the decision for all kick offs to be earlier during the world cup.

It's not like this has just been sprung on them.

Yeah, it's not arrogance "because it's England", it's the World Cup quarter final ffs.  When it gets to the business end people want to watch it whoever is playing.

Should have just moved the entire EFL programme to Sunday since this is a WC rest day.

National League are even worse... they have put a full midweek round in for Tuesday 13th which is the night of one of the semi finals :seagull:

2 hours ago, TM said:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/england/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/France/

England and France played in the group stages of Euro 2012, honestly can't remember that game :D 2004 was the one when England were leading right until the end then Zidane scored a FK and Gerrard made a mistake (I think) for France to win from a penalty

only other one I can remember is the Euro 92 game where not a lot happened but Basile Boli more likely nowadays would have been sent off by VAR as he headbutted Stuart Pearce in that game

Yep, a Gerrard special for England

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, it's not arrogance "because it's England", it's the World Cup quarter final ffs.  When it gets to the business end people want to watch it whoever is playing.

Should have just moved the entire EFL programme to Sunday since this is a WC rest day.

National League are even worse... they have put a full midweek round in for Tuesday 13th which is the night of one of the semi finals :seagull:

I'd wager international football has a much stronger following from EFL following fans than PL following fans as well (the latter are more concerned about their players not getting injured etc.), so it really is something that should have been thought through ages ago.

15 minutes ago, Ackter said:

Unless France have one of their legendary off days, if you guys keep playing like you have been you'll be 4-0 down by half time.

Can't work out if you're being hyperbolic or genuinely think this 

3 minutes ago, Haguey said:

We've won 2 games by 3 goals and another by 4 goals :confused:

Not like France have been palming away amazing teams easily is it.

But it was only Iran/USA/Wales/Senegal, whereas France have faced the incredible Australia/Denmark/Tunisia/Poland sides who were of course the 4 favourites to win the competition.

39 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Can't work out if you're being hyperbolic or genuinely think this 

Your defence is slow and shambolic. Mbappe alone will eat you alive if you make as many defensive mistakes as you have been.

Nothing to do with the quality of your opponents, you're a mess in defence and non-existent in midfield.

Edited by Ackter