France vs Poland Round of 16 3PM GMT, Al Thumama Stadium

The_jagster

The second day of knockouts and the third tie sees the formidable French side under Didier Deschamps come up against Poland under former goalkeeper Czeslaw Michniewicz.

France.thumb.jpg.fbcda79287eb08dcb5b9e7eaba399571.jpg

Poland.jpg.15b600f4f19e61294630d45095190765.jpg

France are spoiling us with a formation!

How have they done so far?

France: Won their qualifying group unbeaten and beat Australia and Denmark before their second string lost to Tunisia.

Poland: Finished second in a qualifying group containing England, Hungary and Albania then beat Sweden 2-0 in a playoff after a bye against Russia. Kept two clean sheets before losing to Argentina in the group stage but only scored against Saudi Arabia when they won 2-0. One Mexico goal from elimination but qualified second from their group on goal difference.

Last 16 regulars?

France: In recent times, yes, despite high profile failures. They beat Argentina 4-3 in 2018 when Mbappé came to the world's attention, defeated Nigeria 2-0 in 2014 and knocked out Spain 3-1 in 2006. Since the 16-team knockout stage was put in place, France have never lost at this stage.

Poland: This is their first knockout tie since 1986 when they lost 4-0 to Brazil at this stage of the tournament. They have failed to qualify 5 times, and only made the groups three times since then. However they finished third in both 1974 and 1982 in the days of two group stages.

History between the sides?

Poland beat France in the 1982 third place playoff 3-2, lost twice to the French in Euro 68 qualifying and drew twice in qualification for Euro 96. Recent matches have been low scoring affairs, with the last 5 matches producing 4 goals in total. The last three meetings have all been friendlies, the most recent in 2011 when a Poland side with Szczesny and Lewandowski lost 1-0 to a France side featuring Younes Kaboul and Charles N'Zogbia - none of the French players on the pitch in that match can feature in today's game.

You'd have to fancy France but they lost on pens to Switzerland in Euro 2020 and have struggled to put goals past lower ranking sides in qualifying, so who knows... Should it go to penalties, Szczesny has already saved two this World Cup.

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never experienced something like that I guess. Poland doing "well" in a big tournament and absolutely no signs of enthusiasm, no  optimism in the country. Everyone seems to be simply tired and embarrassed by the way the team has been playing, everyone seems to be expecting an awful performance today, resulting in a big loss. I don't think I've seen a single car with a Polish flag in the city in the last week or two. Normally there were a lot of them when we played at W/EURO.

And it is hard to find any kind of hope for today, anything like "well maybe today this player will start to performs, that tactic will start to work". Even the players keep on saying they will play the same way. I am generally in a "I wish it was over already" mood.

That said, anything is possible in football and apart from 80 minutes of Argentina game, we have been very pragmatic and effective tactically.

Mbappé vs Maty Kasz. That should be fun. :D

France were probably the most convincing team in the group stage (just forget about the Tunisia game) and I'm anticipating another strong performance from the champs. Trois-un, Les Bleus.

This feels like a very comfortable win for France coming up. Poland have got to show something. They're gonna be defensive and that's fair and understandable but they really need to try and attack far more than they did against Argentina, which was just an awful display considering they weren't far off going out. 

If they play like that all France need to do is show patience, they'll get one eventually. 

• Administrators

Only player I'm rooting for is Woj. 

I'd be very surprised if Poland turn up here, they've been pretty poor. 

Has Lewandowski done much for the side ever outside of qualifying for tournaments?

Just now, Lucas said:

Has Lewandowski done much for the side ever outside of qualifying for tournaments?

Second time they made it out of the groups, after 2016. They beat Switzerland on penalties in first knockout round, then lost on penalties to portugal. That was the golden generation.

Everything since has been awful.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Only player I'm rooting for is Woj. 

I'd be very surprised if Poland turn up here, they've been pretty poor. 

Was good in 2016 but everyone was then.

• Administrators
Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Second time they made it out of the groups, after 2016. They beat Switzerland on penalties in first knockout round, then lost on penalties to portugal. That was the golden generation.

Everything since has been awful.

At UEFA Euro 2016 in France, Lewandowski did not have a shot on target until the last-16 match against Switzerland in Saint-Étienne.[223] 

Guess that answers my question :D 

3 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Robyn "It's in!" Cowen on commentary.

The third female commentator the BBC have used at the World Cup, and comfortably the third-best of them.

I will always remember when England won the Euros and she said “We can now finally say those three words!!!… It’s home!!!”

I prefer Cowan to Meulensteen... (not just because she mentioned N'Zogbia like I did in the OP :p although my source had it as an og)

On balance I prefer the radio commentators to the TV but there is a slightly different atmosphere, on the radio it is a touch more casual. Murray and McNamara are better than Mowbray imo and I get confused between Bower and Wilson on tv

Edited by The_jagster

Just now, skybluedave said:

Dion's right. Not sure why Dembele pelted that across box

Yeah at first I thought it was really bad from Giroud but he really fizzes it and all Giroud can do is throw himself at it and hope for the best. It looks like a shocking miss but it's one that's harder than it looks to score.