Liverpool in FM12

So I'm no fan of the overly-bloated FM these days, so I've gone back to the last version I bought, which was FM12 and already it is so much quicker to get through stuff. I mean, there's still bloat, but nowhere near as bad as what it has become.

Anyway, I digress. I picked Liverpool and forgot just how awful the squad was back then - there's no depth, no transfer kitty and no interest in anybody wanting to buy Andy Carroll. I therefore need some help on a tactic that makes use out of the starting squad so I can survive long enough to get some cash and buy some actually-good players. I've tried playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (think of it as a 'V' in front of the defence), hoping to utilise Downing or Bellamy as a proper wingers on the left as neither are wide midfielders (dependent upon form), with Kuyt/Maxi on the right as a defence winger. I then have Adam/Henderson/Gerrard in midfield (based on form/who isn't injured) sitting in front of Lucas as my anchor.

The defence has my full-backs on Support duty and Suarez is up front (with Carroll getting the occasional game, but he's never going to be any good, is he?)

It hasn't gone well in my two attempts so far, being sacked at Christmas on my first go (albeit I had a variant of that formation) and I've just ended my second attempt which at least had Suarez starting to score a few this time.

I know it's a long time back, but does anybody have some tips they can give me?

Even some players I can buy with my meagre £7.5m transfer kitty to flesh-out the squad would be good, but the way I see it, everybody bar Gerrard, Suarez, Henderson and Reina are pretty much expendable (does Coates ever develop well?)

5 hours ago, SuperMeppen said:

So I'm no fan of the overly-bloated FM these days, so I've gone back to the last version I bought, which was FM12 and already it is so much quicker to get through stuff. I mean, there's still bloat, but nowhere near as bad as what it has become.

Anyway, I digress. I picked Liverpool and forgot just how awful the squad was back then - there's no depth, no transfer kitty and no interest in anybody wanting to buy Andy Carroll. I therefore need some help on a tactic that makes use out of the starting squad so I can survive long enough to get some cash and buy some actually-good players. I've tried playing a 4-1-2-2-1 (think of it as a 'V' in front of the defence), hoping to utilise Downing or Bellamy as a proper wingers on the left as neither are wide midfielders (dependent upon form), with Kuyt/Maxi on the right as a defence winger. I then have Adam/Henderson/Gerrard in midfield (based on form/who isn't injured) sitting in front of Lucas as my anchor.

The defence has my full-backs on Support duty and Suarez is up front (with Carroll getting the occasional game, but he's never going to be any good, is he?)

It hasn't gone well in my two attempts so far, being sacked at Christmas on my first go (albeit I had a variant of that formation) and I've just ended my second attempt which at least had Suarez starting to score a few this time.

I know it's a long time back, but does anybody have some tips they can give me?

Even some players I can buy with my meagre £7.5m transfer kitty to flesh-out the squad would be good, but the way I see it, everybody bar Gerrard, Suarez, Henderson and Reina are pretty much expendable (does Coates ever develop well?)

That was the FM with the ghost defenders wasn't it?There was no collision detection.

Just find a quick striker set pass into space and watch him score a shedload of goals.