Netherlands vs USA, Round of 16. Live at 3pm GMT from the Khalifa International Stadium

Darius1998

Preview

The Netherlands take on the former New Netherlands United States in our first round of 16 encounter at the Khalifa International Stadium in Al-Rayyan. Netherlands topped their group with 7 points out of 9 without ever looking particularly convincing while the US also went unbeaten, picking up draws against Wales and England before securing qualification with a 1-0 win over Iran.

Cody Gakpo is the leading goalscorer for the Dutch having bagged 3 so far, which also puts him joint top for the Golden Boot race while Timothy Weah and 'the LeBron James of soccer' Christian Pulisic have netted 1 each for the Americans. Pulisic is fit enough to play despite picking up a pelvic injury while scoring the winner against Iran.

The thread is up much earlier than usual to save me the trouble of frantically searching for team lineups 5 minutes before kickoffs. Obviously, that means that there are no lineups available at the moment so here are a combination of useful and useless stats for you to look at in the meantime.

Netherlands

• The Dutch have been knocked out at the round of 16 stage four times (1934, 1938, 1990 and 2006).
  • They can make the quarter-finals in three successive World Cup appearances for the first time.
  • Louis Van Gaal (W7, D3) can become the third coach to remain unbeaten in each of his first 11 World Cup matches (shootouts classed as draw), after Luiz Felipe Scolari (12 for Brazil and Portugal, 2002-2006) and Mario Zagallo (11 for Brazil, 1970-1974).

USA

• The US have also been knocked out at the round of 16 stage on four occasions (1934, 1994, 2010 and 2014).
  • They have progressed past this stage on two occasions - semi-finalists in 1930 (where there was no round of 16) and en route to a quarter-final exit in 2002.
  • They have now reached this round in three successive World Cup appearances for the first time, following on from 2010 and 2014.

Head to head

• The two teams have never faced off in a competitive match.
  • In the five friendlies held between them, the Netherlands have won 4 while the US have won 1, which also happens to be the most recent - a 4-3 win in Amsterdam in 2015.

Most recent group games:

Spoiler

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a real feeling about USA for this one. Put a small bet on them as well as I just really think they'll get through this, really haven't rated Netherlands at all and while USA haven't been amazing going forward I still think they'll have enough for a narrow win.

No Sargent. Disappointing after his performance against Iran. Seems Haji Wright played himself out of the lineup, with Ferreira getting his first appearance of the tournament. 

Zimmerman back in for Carter-Vickers. 

Looks like we'll play like this: Noppert; Dumfries, Timber, Van Dijk, Aké, Blind; De Roon, De Jong, Klaassen; Gakpo, Depay.

So: no changes. Trying the same thing again in the hope that the players execute it properly this time. I guess if LvG trusts them, so should I, but I have my doubts, mainly about Blind (even as an Ajax fan, I fear he is well on his way to being over it.) and Depay (has done nothing so far. Very much off form). 

In the past, I would have not been worried about playing the US, but they are doing great so it would not surprise me at all if we don't make it today. Unless the team finally turn up. 

Think USA need to score in the first half as they've looked much stronger early on in all three games.

Lineups are out:

USA.jpg.b002bcb22e3532f8d0c0df97d5e9ef8f.jpg

Ned.thumb.jpg.be14f62ee1d0305dc5fdcc2cd078329c.jpg

For music there is this song which according to WSC is popular with the Dutch, it's also popular with pro cycling teams:

Seemingly dedicated to LVG "possession focused" football:

To the left
To the right
Once again
To the left
To the right

Edited by The_jagster

11 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Do cards reset for the next round? If someone like Adams pick up a yellow, does he miss the quarters or is it reset?

I saw earlier players on a yellow will miss the next round if booked. Which is just ridiculous, I absolutely hate that rule.

Interesting to see the more human side of van Gaal.

I don't rate this Dutch side very much either, but think this will be LvG's last hurrah. Another goal for Gakpo, a solid win over the USA, then dumped out by Argentina at the Quarters.

Just now, Pukey said:

I saw earlier players on a yellow will miss the next round if booked. Which is just ridiculous, I absolutely hate that rule.

I don't see the problem with this, yellows aren't meant to be a free foul you can deploy once per game, there should be a punishment for accumulating multiple yellows.

Yeah cards aren’t wiped until after the quarters nowadays. Used to get wiped earlier but then you had players missing the final because of an accumulation of yellows in the knockout games.

Now you can only miss the final if you get a straight red in the semi 

Edited by Rob1981

4 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I don't see the problem with this, yellows aren't meant to be a free foul you can deploy once per game, there should be a punishment for accumulating multiple yellows.

It's a difficult one and players shouldn't be able to get yellows willy nilly for sure, but get booked in your first group game for something of nothing (maybe even a card happy ref) and you're walking a tightrope for several games after is insane to me.

90s British one-hit wonder alert!

Who've they lined up for the next game? White Town? Babylon Zoo? :D

P.S. Yes, I know Republica had TWO hits, but you get the idea...

Edited by CFuller

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

90s British one-hit wonder alert!

Who've they lined up for the next game? White Town? Babylon Zoo? :D

I could hear that on 5Live (I prefer the raio build up to TV coverage).

Also I assume the one hit you are talking about is their highest charting song 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' ;)

Just now, The_jagster said:

I could hear that on 5Live (I prefer the raio build up to TV coverage).

Also I assume the one hit you are talking about is their highest charting song 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' ;)

Yeah, just realised they're technically a TWO-hit wonder. Still, you get the idea. :p