XML Parsing Error

• Administrators

If you're using a custom skin, try removing it and see if you have the same issue. 

If you're not or that hasn't worked, try removing your cache and preferences and see if that resolves it - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997644231185

If that doesn't, use the link at the bottom of the above FAQ instructions to raise a ticket with our support team for further assistance.

Thanks. 

• Administrators

If you are running a custom skin or custom graphics, remove all traces of it them remove your cache and preferences as shown here - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997644231185

Then try the game again.

If you're still having issues, reinstall the game. Save games will be untouched during this process. 

On 05/12/2022 at 21:05, Neil Brock said:

If you are running a custom skin or custom graphics, remove all traces of it them remove your cache and preferences as shown here - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/9997644231185

Then try the game again.

If you're still having issues, reinstall the game. Save games will be untouched during this process. 

I tried anything you suggest, but I'm still having the problem.

I've been getting this consistently on the Game Pass version for a couple of weeks, anytime I need to reload or change a skin. I have tried the above (removing cache, preferences) as well as uninstalling and re-installing the game but nothing works. It's the same error every time, in any skin.

Dismissing the pop-up doesn't work, it will repeat hundreds of times and I have to terminate the game via Task Manager.

Edited by ltdamn

I just had this issue. 

Only thing that fixed it was deleting all the Fm23 files, any graphics etc and then reinstalling. 

I moved all my saves and tactics to another part of my computer. 

Move anything important that you don't want to lose. Then deleted all the Football Manager 2023 folders. 

I then reinstalled via Steam and it is back working

Same problem after game update to 0.9.267.0 on Game Pass version. FM works after reinstall and deleting all cache files, but crash when I reload skin (I use default)

Edited by ugan666

• Administrators

So we believe the issue is primarily related to custom skins/graphics and would suggest removing them then removing your cache and preferences, then verifying your files.

Once you've done that try again and see if it works. If you're still having issues when reloading the skin, try the launch options here for lagging/flickering - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/11164849702417

If that still doesn't work, then please log a support ticket here explaining the issue and exactly what you've tried so far - https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

Thanks. 

19 horas atrás, AndrewFFW disse:

I just had this issue. 

Only thing that fixed it was deleting all the Fm23 files, any graphics etc and then reinstalling. 

I moved all my saves and tactics to another part of my computer. 

Move anything important that you don't want to lose. Then deleted all the Football Manager 2023 folders. 

I then reinstalled via Steam and it is back working

I had the same bizarre problem and did exactly the same thing.

I made a backup of what I wanted on an external HD and it only started working again when I deleted all and every trace of the FM23 from the computer. I reinstalled everything via steam and went little by little and testing if the game crashed by reinserting custom files, graphics one thing at a time. I also had to rebuild my custom skin from scratch, piece by piece, since the original errors pointed to files and settings that were in it and the game didn't read it correctly, for some weird reason.

It took me a lot of work, a lot. Now I can play, but every time I need to update something I'm afraid it's going to crash again, a strange feeling to play a game that you love so much.

On 20/12/2022 at 12:46, Neil Brock said:

So we believe the issue is primarily related to custom skins/graphics and would suggest removing them then removing your cache and preferences, then verifying your files.

Once you've done that try again and see if it works. If you're still having issues when reloading the skin, try the launch options here for lagging/flickering - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/11164849702417

If that still doesn't work, then please log a support ticket here explaining the issue and exactly what you've tried so far - https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

Thanks. 

With regards to paragraph 2 do I have to keep the - Copy the following into the dialogue box: --disable_flip_discard permanently as I launch my game from an external drive due to lack of memory on my laptop?

I just been experiencing this problem.  After deleting cache and preferences then reinstalling the game, the problem was persisting.  I tried experimenting with removing all folders from the football manager directory and one by one putting them back in to see what caused the problem.  It turned out it was the tactics folder!? Most bizarre, no idea why.  But at least for the time being I seem able to reload the skin without a crash. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, priority76 said:

I just been experiencing this problem.  After deleting cache and preferences then reinstalling the game, the problem was persisting.  I tried experimenting with removing all folders from the football manager directory and one by one putting them back in to see what caused the problem.  It turned out it was the tactics folder!? Most bizarre, no idea why.  But at least for the time being I seem able to reload the skin without a crash. 

What did you have in your tactics folder? Anything downloaded? Or just created tactics? Or anything else of note?

13 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

What did you have in your tactics folder? Anything downloaded? Or just created tactics? Or anything else of note?

Within my tactics folder I had sub folders for tactics from older versions.  It seems to be these that the game doesn't like 🤷‍♂️.  I have no idea why and it hadn't been a problem before. I doubt that's what causing other people's parsing errors but it seems to have sorted mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, for me it was solved doing this:

Delete all content in skins folder;

Select Default FM Skin;

Change FM23 startup parameters on Steam Launch : -dx11

It's stupid but  for me it's working. 

You could try only the last step and check if it isn't needed to delete skins.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this errors two times and everytime it came after changing stuff in the graphics folder.

In the end I found the problem:

Make sure that the config files and the images for the kits, logo, etc are complete.

For e.g. stuff like this:

<record from="" to="graphics/pictures/team/301210/kits/away"/>

or

<record from="kit name" to="graphics/pictures/team/301210/kits/away"/>  + missing image

Resulted in this error.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, dsbrs said:

after the latest update I get this XML parsing error message... with previous updates it was working just fine... how can it be fixed?

Remove any custom skins and try again. If it works then the issue is in the skin.

nothing works... how is it possible that all my month long save games are ruined by this latest update? and when will a new update be released to fix all this pathetic mess??  the game won't even pass the initial loading screen...

3 hours ago, dsbrs said:

nothing works... how is it possible that all my month long save games are ruined by this latest update? and when will a new update be released to fix all this pathetic mess??  the game won't even pass the initial loading screen...

Did you remove all custom skins? Do so then follow this:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-us/articles/9997644231185

And try again.

I dont have any skins installed... I uninstalled and reinstalled FM23 already 3 times... cache/preferences folder on desktop didn't make any difference... all the error  messages still appear all the time... this is just pathetic... you pay for smtg and then it gets ruined by some ridiculous update, the game won't even go past the loading screen...  this is just unbelievable

28 minutes ago, dsbrs said:

I dont have any skins installed... I uninstalled and reinstalled FM23 already 3 times... cache/preferences folder on desktop didn't make any difference... all the error  messages still appear all the time... this is just pathetic... you pay for smtg and then it gets ruined by some ridiculous update, the game won't even go past the loading screen...  this is just unbelievable

You can submit a support ticket to SI here: https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

22 minutes ago, dsbrs said:

where can I apply for a refund?

That would be the place you bought it from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Problem solved.

I tried step by step according to this guide:https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/11568479123857-What-should-I-do-if-I-receive-an-XML-error-message-when-launching-or-running-Football-Manager-

Finally I solved it during the last step:

If you're still struggling after doing the above, try as follows:

First of all, right-click on your desktop and select 'New' -> 'Folder'

Create a folder and name it something to distinguish it (say ‘SI backup’)

Once you've done this go to your Sports Interactive folder found within 'documents' which by default is at the following location - C:\Users\[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]\Documents\Sports Interactive\[Football Manager title]

This should contain folders like 'games', 'crash dumps' etc. Please cut every folder from here and paste them into the folder you've created on your desktop.

Once you've done this and the Sports Interactive\[Football Manager title] folder is now empty, launch the game. If it works, copy back the files from the desktop folder and hopefully it should now load without any issues. If the same issue re-occurs when you copy back, it may be something specific within those folders like custom files, so we'd suggest removing those. Remember, if you delete any save games from within these folders manually, they cannot be restored. 

I checked each folder, and found my problem in the editor data file. Here I had stored a folder downloaded from https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm23-leagues-pack-by-timo.html. There are so many single files in it with some invalid. After deleting the folder, the problem was solved. Also, the game works well if I only store the valid files directly under the editor data directory rather than under a secondary folder.

I think my problem was due to excessive invalid files in the editor data folder. Hope this will help.

Edited by blexalack

For me the problem was in the editor data folder. If you are continuing on a save, great, you can move or rename the folder, no harm no foul. If you are starting a New game move or rename the folder back to original after booting the game to get the edited databases, start a New game and move or rename the editor data folder afterwards. 

This is all based on the fact that you have edited databases in the folder, if not, then disregard. 

Edited by Nulju