Japan vs Spain & Costa Rica vs Germany - 7pm GMT

Darius1998

Japan have had a few moments where a better pass or what have you would see them threaten. They need some luck but I don't think they're completely out of this at all. Do think a second Spain goal kills them though.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

So are Spain on course to meet Brazil in quarters? I can't ever recall them playing eachother at a WC

If they both win their groups (or they both finish 2nd), then yes.

Last World Cup meeting in 1986.

Spain are dreadful when they play like this, with aimless possession. Gives 'tiki taka' a bad name. 

The one criticism I've got of Luis Enrique is that he gets his team playing like it's 2010. Meaningless possession just for the numbers. Even Guardiola has moved on from that for the most part

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Now Sule misses a clean ball.

Honestly, Morocco isn't any worse than this Germany. Should be the most entertaining match of the first knockout round.

if it's Germany, I'd go for Morocco to win that game based on what we've seen so far

Musiala is a fantastic talent but he needs to learn to shoot at points, able to turn with lightning speed but seems to go too far with the ball.  They won't bring on Fullkrug to around 60-65 minutes but he's probably what they will need, especially if that defence do what they did in the last 5 minutes (apart from Neuer)

2 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Müller has gotten abused as a false nine since 2016 basically, it has never worked out and yet Flick happily continues doing it. :seagull:

Muller is the antithesis of false 9 role.

He was never a technical player or good with the ball in his feet for more than a couple of touches, he doesn't open space for others, he uses space others open.

That's why he excelled at scoring and assisting as the second option (idk which term to use in English :D).

If he's the one who needs to create space, nothing happens.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Muller is the antithesis of false 9 role.

He was never a technical player or good with the ball in his feet for more than a couple of touches, he doesn't open space for others, he uses space others open.

That's why he excelled at scoring and assisting as the second option (idk which term to use in English :D).

If he's the one who needs to create space, nothing happens.

Now if you could only explain that to Flick! :lol: Basically been the issue for Germany offensively for years, since Werner isn't a space creator either.

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Spain are dreadful when they play like this, with aimless possession. Gives 'tiki taka' a bad name. 

The one criticism I've got of Luis Enrique is that he gets his team playing like it's 2010. Meaningless possession just for the numbers. Even Guardiola has moved on from that for the most part

Spain 539 passes, Japan 89 passes, at half time.

10 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

To be fair, in International Football, I'd probably say it's the best way. 

Early goal, then just control the tempo of the game from there. No need to up the levels at all when the games are thick and fast and the latter stages will be more draining.

Just now, skybluedave said:

That was Souness too :D

Turned on ten minutes before kickoff. Two absolutely massive games where all four teams can still qualify. Instead Pougatch was chortling his way through a “Best ever England goals” feature.

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Turned on ten minutes before kickoff. Two absolutely massive games where all four teams can still qualify. Instead Pougatch was chortling his way through a “Best ever England goals” feature.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. "Cameroon need a win against Brazil... so let's remind everybody of what happened when they played England in 1990."

22 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Japan have had a few moments where a better pass or what have you would see them threaten. They need some luck but I don't think they're completely out of this at all. Do think a second Spain goal kills them though.

And there you go