FM23: The Art of Possession Football

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting read I remember being inspired by your original article. One thing that does stand out to me is the high number of TIs that you are using in this new tactic. I remember that in your original "art of" series you used minimal TIs.

4 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

A very interesting read I remember being inspired by your original article. One thing that does stand out to me is the high number of TIs that you are using in this new tactic. I remember that in your original "art of" series you used minimal TIs.

The game works different now though and we have way more settings than back then. I used 13+ TI's in the original article too and we didn't really have settings back then to select the kind of block, pressing, or what to do out of possession. So it's basically the same :). 9 of the ones I use above in this article are either used for dictating how to distribute the ball from the back or related to how we press the opposition and the type of block we use. It's still minimal when you break it down. Just looks bloated because the game has moved on from having to select a team shape that did all this stuff under the hood. Now we have settings to really shape it :)

I'm just curious as to why you are not using a Sweeper Keeper? I thought that with a very high defensive line and aggressive high press, a Sweeper Keeper was pretty much required? Just as an extra assurance to deal with those pesky balls over the defense.

Edited by crusadertsar

22 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Just what I needed on my reading list for today! Thank you so much, mate 

Cheers :)

16 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I'm just curious as to why you are not using a Sweeper Keeper? I thought that with a very high defensive line and aggressive high press, a Sweeper Keeper was pretty much required? Just as an extra assurance to deal with those pesky balls over the defense.

I already have the halfback dropping back to help with them and I use two ball-playing defenders who play out from the back. I didn't see the need for a sweeper keeper. If someone is going to cause me issues or I see something happen in game, I'll ask the defensive line to drop off instead. Like I did in the article. You could use a SK if needed though. But for me, if I did, it would mean the defence/midfield had already failed. So I'd rather make them do their job correctly

Edited by Cleon

10 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Cheers :)

I already have the halfback dropping back to help with them and I use two ball-playing defenders who play out from the back. I didn't see the need for a sweeper keeper. If someone is going to cause me issues or I see something happen in game, I'll ask the defensive line to drop off instead. Like I did in the article. You could use a SK if needed though. But for me, if I did, it would mean the defence/midfield had already failed. So I'd rather make them do their job correctly

Ahh! Makes perfect sense now that you explain it that way. I'm happy, because I don't have a natural sweeper keeper in a similar tactic I'm attempting. But plenty of skilled Halfbacks and BPDs. 

Fantastic write up!! :thup:

I'm a big fan of Fullbacks in possession systems, like you say, they don't bomb on like a Wingback does and they don't stretch play like a WB does. Quite often they'll tuck inside which is great for keeping possession, so they're a stable for me

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

Fantastic write up!! :thup:

I'm a big fan of Fullbacks in possession systems, like you say, they don't bomb on like a Wingback does and they don't stretch play like a WB does. Quite often they'll tuck inside which is great for keeping possession, so they're a stable for me

Thanks Johnny, appreciate that :)

I think fullbacks in general are quite an underrated role and get left behind for a WB's a lot of time. But I just love how they overlap more naturally and are more "link" players than anything. They make for better combination play imo

When I get the time, I actually want to add a second part to this and show how it changes the type of possession we have when I change roles around. And the fullback to a WB is one of the writeups I planned. 

4 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Thanks Johnny, appreciate that :)

You're welcome :thup:

6 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I think fullbacks in general are quite an underrated role and get left behind for a WB's a lot of time. But I just love how they overlap more naturally and are more "link" players than anything. They make for better combination play imo

Absolutely, Wingbacks are much more favoured in general and often Pep inspired possession tactics feature IWBs but the humble Fullback is a great little role and all rounder

7 minutes ago, Cleon said:

When I get the time, I actually want to add a second part to this and show how it changes the type of possession we have when I change roles around. And the fullback to a WB is one of the writeups I planned. 

Looking forward to it! Might help get a few Fullback converts :D

4 hours ago, Cleon said:

Today I learned that how possession works in Football Manager 2023 has been reworked compared to the previous version. But this doesn’t seem to have been communicated by SI and was found out by listening to a third-party podcast with someone from the SI QA team. 

They’ve added a new metric called ball share which is how possession worked in previous games and is basically how much time the team has on the ball. The actual possession metric is now calculated by how many passes the team did and completed. 

This is a massive change and the new metric is hidden away and isn’t shown by default, you have to customise the stats and data you have shown during a game, to see it. So be sure to check this out for those who didn’t know.

I think the change is a good change and is more in line with how real football works now. So I approve of the change. Just a shame it’s hidden away and that the ball share metric isn’t shown by default.

A good change to better reflect reality.  Just a bit odd it wasn’t communicated and seems to be hidden away.

Anyway, the original article is probably the single most impactful article I ever read here and got the most from.  Great to see it updated 👌.

Interesting to see the RPM role being used, a somewhat under appreciated role I think but useful for helping bring the ball out of defence and driving forward.  And a quick mention of the Half Back - a role I’ve always thoroughly detested - you’re using that purely from a replication perspective or primarily to give you the passing options and movement you’re looking for?  (Knowing you I guess primarily the latter but a probably a bit of both).  Personally I’ll use anything but an HB so perhaps I should put my biases to one side and revisit the role (yikes :D).

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

A good change to better reflect reality.  Just a bit odd it wasn’t communicated and seems to be hidden away.

Anyway, the original article is probably the single most impactful article I ever read here and got the most from.  Great to see it updated 👌.

Interesting to see the RPM role being used, a somewhat under appreciated role I think but useful for helping bring the ball out of defence and driving forward.  And a quick mention of the Half Back - a role I’ve always thoroughly detested - you’re using that purely from a replication perspective or primarily to give you the passing options and movement you’re looking for?  (Knowing you I guess primarily the latter but a probably a bit of both).  Personally I’ll use anything but an HB so perhaps I should put my biases to one side and revisit the role (yikes :D).

Aye the change is really good. As when I did the original thread I think they said it was too hard to change it and was likely unable to be done. So it's great to see the match engine evolving.

The Art of Series is probably my 2nd favourite thing I've done behind the Ajax stuff. Which ironically I've also started to rewrite :idiot:

I totally forgot your hate towards the HB role, so glad I used it now :D. The reason for using it was purely down to me wanting a natural playmaker without using a playmaker role and forcing the issue ever so slightly. So opted for the HB as I think they're fantastic at retaining and recycling possession. Especially if you play a creative player there. Something which I don't know if I have or haven't as I'm attributeless and using fake players. So it's all a mystery. But non the less, with the changes to how pivots work on FM23, I think the role has become better indirectly due to that. So he also steps up into midfield too with his ball at his feet at times. So it fitted what I wanted. But 100% my choice was driven by what I class as it being a natural playmaker.

I also like the defensive side of things and allows us to easily shift into a back 5 or back 3. It gives us better passing lanes and able to use the entire of the pitch when playing out from the back. It allows us to be progressive and move as a unit and no matter what, we always have a free player in the back line open for the pass.

36 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I totally forgot your hate towards the HB role, so glad I used it now :D.

Git :D.

I'm on the edge of memory here but I have a feeling that once upon a time the HB was (incorrectly) flagged as a playmaker role, although possibly only for AI teams?  That role's been so bugged over the years you lose track but once upon a time I'm sure I saw someone from SI say it had now been (correctly) unflagged.  But yeh, especially given who has played the role irl, it's always been a kind of pseudo-playmaker.

Something to experiment with perhaps.  Who knows, I may actually come to like it :p.

Anyway back on topic, I can see how these principles could play out with other formations.  I can imagine the SV role being particularly deadly.

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

In this game, I was playing a side possessed with speed, so I was slightly more cautious and asked the defensive line to drop off

Great read! When you say drop off do you mean dropping the defensive line back 1 notch or using the drop off more instruction?

41 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Git :D.

I'm on the edge of memory here but I have a feeling that once upon a time the HB was (incorrectly) flagged as a playmaker role, although possibly only for AI teams?  That role's been so bugged over the years you lose track but once upon a time I'm sure I saw someone from SI say it had now been (correctly) unflagged.  But yeh, especially given who has played the role irl, it's always been a kind of pseudo-playmaker.

Something to experiment with perhaps.  Who knows, I may actually come to like it :p.

Anyway back on topic, I can see how these principles could play out with other formations.  I can imagine the SV role being particularly deadly.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that your memory goes as you get older, as you are correct :D

I purposely didn't use a SV as that is what I used heavily with the Brazilian Box formation I used last year and included in the book. Tried to mix it up a little. As there's some roles on the game and pairings that I'd always use. An AP support and a Mez on attack, for me is the best combo on the game.

39 minutes ago, Sammie B said:

Great read! When you say drop off do you mean dropping the defensive line back 1 notch or using the drop off more instruction?

The drop off more instruction.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Don't let anyone ever tell you that your memory goes as you get older, as you are correct :D

I purposely didn't use a SV as that is what I used heavily with the Brazilian Box formation I used last year and included in the book. Tried to mix it up a little. As there's some roles on the game and pairings that I'd always use. An AP support and a Mez on attack, for me is the best combo on the game.

If an AP support and Mez on attack is the best combo on the game, what is the reasoning behind using a RPM? Is it because you want someone dropping in a bit and driving forward versus an AP support which may be more static, higher up the pitch? 

Just now, typ2603 said:

If an AP support and Mez on attack is the best combo on the game, what is the reasoning behind using a RPM? Is it because you want someone dropping in a bit and driving forward versus an AP support which may be more static, higher up the pitch? 

I answered it in the same post you quoted. I mixed it up and didn't want to use roles/combinations that I've already written about/used :)

AP isn't static either and drops deep and drives forward just like the RPM does. The only real difference between the two roles is how they use the pitch. But both roles are very mobile.

4 minutes ago, Cleon said:

I answered it in the same post you quoted. I mixed it up and didn't want to use roles/combinations that I've already written about/used :)

AP isn't static either and drops deep and drives forward just like the RPM does. The only real difference between the two roles is how they use the pitch. But both roles are very mobile.

Ah fair, nice one pal. Misconception on my part re AP, time to watch a few games between the two!

22 minutes ago, sovy666 said:

For those still on FM22, how can we adapt without this TI? Maybe a change of mentality to Standard?

I wouldn’t change if I was on FM22, I’d enable the off side trap and play risky. As you have the offside trap on 22, we don’t in 23. That’s all these settings are really.

But it’s like anything really, just do what suits you. If you wanted you could alter the mentality but then changes the base do everything. So has more of an impact. You could also just drop the defensive line too. Which is probably the simpler option imo 

6 minuti fa, Cleon ha scritto:

I wouldn’t change if I was on FM22, I’d enable the off side trap and play risky. As you have the offside trap on 22, we don’t in 23. That’s all these settings are really.

But it’s like anything really, just do what suits you. If you wanted you could alter the mentality but then changes the base do everything. So has more of an impact. You could also just drop the defensive line too. Which is probably the simpler option imo 

Yeah by changing the mentality I would also modify other instructions both in possession and out of. It was to understand how to adapt the tactic when playing against some very direct teams that regularly pierce the much higher defensive line like Lazio with Immobile for example, in fact I was just thinking about him when I asked you.

Does your team ever get to the point where a lot of the possession is side to side and lacking final 3rd penetration? If so what do you do? With a higher tempo we still cannot make it into the final 3rd in my save (roles/tactic a little different)

Edited by The3points

4 hours ago, The3points said:

Does your team ever get to the point where a lot of the possession is side to side and lacking final 3rd penetration? If so what do you do? With a higher tempo we still cannot make it into the final 3rd in my save (roles/tactic a little different)

No never due to the reasons highlighted in the article. What you see if how we'll always play.

If you're getting lots of needless possession side to side then it suggest there is an issue with the roles. As they should be enough to give you an outlet like I've shown above,

Amazing. So nice to have an updated and fresh article from Cleon. I often revisit the old article(s) on this and other subjects. Thanks!

I must say I have a newfound love for the half back. What a great and powerful tool he can be with the right mix of attributes. Having someone defensively solid who can also spot and pick a progressive pass is just gold.

Could you discuss the decision to use the hold shape team instruction? I understand it in theory but I’ve never used hold shape even in possession tactics because I still want fast transitions when the opportunity is there and I was worried this would prevent that. Have you noticed this being an issue?

Edited by RealDeal_3

2 hours ago, Blinklys said:

Amazing. So nice to have an updated and fresh article from Cleon. I often revisit the old article(s) on this and other subjects. Thanks!

I must say I have a newfound love for the half back. What a great and powerful tool he can be with the right mix of attributes. Having someone defensively solid who can also spot and pick a progressive pass is just gold.

12 minutes ago, RealDeal_3 said:

Could you discuss the decision to use the hold shape team instruction? I understand it in theory but I’ve never used hold shape even in possession tactics because I still want fast transitions when the opportunity is there and I was worried this would prevent that. Have you noticed this being an issue?

I still have fast transitions when its a realistic option, like I showcased in the article. It doesn't stop you having them, it just lets it happen naturally instead of forcing it by using counter like in your set up.

Using counter instead of hold shape just forces the issues and makes you try to attack, attack, attack constant with no real build up. Holding shape, we play our usual game and let the roles/duties/TI's dictate how we play. Using counter with these roles and settings that I've used just don't make sense. If I was using counter I'd be better off using more aggressive roles.

8 minutes ago, Sanders81 said:

are all the positions/roles apart from IW just the standard with no PI's added ?

Everything is standard yeah.

Great informative article. However, for me personally, it is not possession tactic if it averages less than 60% possession. Also, I dislike terms like "possession with a purpose" and "possession for the sake of it". The purpose of possession tactic is to dominate and control the game through dominating the ball and not allowing the opposition to have it. In this case the possession is used to attack and defend at the same time. 

16 hours ago, milendinkov said:

Realy nice readiing. What would you do if you face much better side with realy fast players upfront (like real madrid) and better mentals in midfield? 

As I pointed out in the article, every other team I played except 1 are all  way stronger than me. I also spoke about asking the defensive line to drop off when facing fast players. Those are the only changed I'd make.

12 hours ago, yonko said:

Great informative article. However, for me personally, it is not possession tactic if it averages less than 60% possession. Also, I dislike terms like "possession with a purpose" and "possession for the sake of it". The purpose of possession tactic is to dominate and control the game through dominating the ball and not allowing the opposition to have it. In this case the possession is used to attack and defend at the same time. 

So you think I can take the 2nd worse team in Denmark, playing in the 4th tier and have way higher possession in the first season than 58% playing with no attributes, no star ratings etc? Winning games and having the most possession in the league and competing when the board expected me to win no games and get relegated? Give over man and get some perspective, you're chatting nonsense  :D

I'll kindly wait to see you playing the same way with the weakest team in the nation and showing how you do it ;)

Also in FM terms there absolutely is a difference between possession and possession for the sake of it. Just look around the forum or social media and it's littered with posts about having high possession but doing nothing with it and unable to score.

You yourself played as one of the best teams in the world and it took you a few seasons to get really high possession numbers. Yet you expect me to do it first season; This was you no?:DUntitled.thumb.png.81df588232e7e134391a7296cb248f6d.png

With the way possession had been reworked it's much harder to get greater numbers now as it's actually passes that count and not time on the ball. So you're restricted.

Edited by Cleon

When I eventually add the second piece of this article, it will focus on how we use the ball differently when we make a subtle change like a different role or duty. And show the impacts it has overall and changes all the dynamics of the team meaning you now use the ball in a different way but still achieve same results.

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

When I eventually add the second piece of this article, it will focus on how we use the ball differently when we make a subtle change like a different role or duty. And show the impacts it has overall and changes all the dynamics of the team meaning you now use the ball in a different way but still achieve same results.

Can’t wait for this part! My current tactic is very similar to yours in terms of the instructions (I tweaked the Tiki Taka preset very slightly) but my roles and duties are quite different.

Namely, I have a Winger on Attack on one side. And use an IWB instead of a standard FB, as I attempted to recreate an Arteta/Pep system. 

One thing I’ve never been good at in FM, is understanding how much (or how little) changing a role or duty can impact an entire setup. I usually try and replicate a system, like I believe yours was based on Spain? But when things start to go wrong, I struggle to understand what I should change and the ramifications that those changes will have on the end goal. 

9 hours ago, Cleon said:

As I pointed out in the article, every other team I played except 1 are all  way stronger than me. I also spoke about asking the defensive line to drop off when facing fast players. Those are the only changed I'd make.

So you think I can take the 2nd worse team in Denmark, playing in the 4th tier and have way higher possession in the first season than 58% playing with no attributes, no star ratings etc? Winning games and having the most possession in the league and competing when the board expected me to win no games and get relegated? Give over man and get some perspective, you're chatting nonsense  :D

I'll kindly wait to see you playing the same way with the weakest team in the nation and showing how you do it ;)

Also in FM terms there absolutely is a difference between possession and possession for the sake of it. Just look around the forum or social media and it's littered with posts about having high possession but doing nothing with it and unable to score.

You yourself played as one of the best teams in the world and it took you a few seasons to get really high possession numbers. Yet you expect me to do it first season; This was you no?:DUntitled.thumb.png.81df588232e7e134391a7296cb248f6d.png

With the way possession had been reworked it's much harder to get greater numbers now as it's actually passes that count and not time on the ball. So you're restricted.

Actually I find it easier now to get high possession averages with the way it has been reworked in FM23. I agree with you that lower average percentage in your example/article could be because you are playing with lower level team and you don't actually use attributes cause you play attributeless. And there are certain attributes that are important to dominate and achieve average high percentage possession.

Also, there is no doubt I've had my struggles in the past, as many others, to recreate real life possession tactics in FM with the tools we are given. And I hold myself to the same standard for possession tactic as I said in my previous post. I aim to average at least 60% average possession to be satisfied with the tactic and call it a "possession tactic". Yes I want to be successful, score goals, etc. but the standard for me is minimum of 60% average possession for the season. And I find myself getting even greedier and aiming for average of 65% and above. Pep's Barca is my real life example and inspiration for possession tactic and his team averaged around 65% - 67%.

Lastly, the term "possession for the sake of it" is nonsense actually. There is no such thing. I think this is a term created in the media by pundits who don't really understand that style of play. 

12 hours ago, yonko said:

Actually I find it easier now to get high possession averages with the way it has been reworked in FM23. I agree with you that lower average percentage in your example/article could be because you are playing with lower level team and you don't actually use attributes cause you play attributeless. And there are certain attributes that are important to dominate and achieve average high percentage possession.

Also, there is no doubt I've had my struggles in the past, as many others, to recreate real life possession tactics in FM with the tools we are given. And I hold myself to the same standard for possession tactic as I said in my previous post. I aim to average at least 60% average possession to be satisfied with the tactic and call it a "possession tactic". Yes I want to be successful, score goals, etc. but the standard for me is minimum of 60% average possession for the season. And I find myself getting even greedier and aiming for average of 65% and above. Pep's Barca is my real life example and inspiration for possession tactic and his team averaged around 65% - 67%.

Lastly, the term "possession for the sake of it" is nonsense actually. There is no such thing. I think this is a term created in the media by pundits who don't really understand that style of play. 

It's all about context and the level you are at. If you are a amateur/weak side then getting high possession numbers 65+ is much harder as it relies on technical players. But all that matters at those levels is having more possession than any other side in that league. If you manage that, then no one can argue it isn't a possession tactic. If you're a strong side like you with Barca then imo anything less than 65+ first season would be deemed a failure for me with the players they have. It's easier on FM23 to have major possession numbers if you play as a good side. Harder if you play as a rubbish side as it's passes that count now like explained in the article.

We'll have to agree to disagree here though because in game terms (not talking RL so no idea why you keep bringing that up, the article was clear I was talking about the game and don't think I brought up RL once) there is such a thing about toothless possession and doing nothing with it. I was just reading another post of yours actually just now, where you was talking about this exact thing and wasn't really scoring as much as you should or creating anything meaningful. And that was posted in 2020. 

16 hours ago, Fantasista10 said:

Can’t wait for this part! My current tactic is very similar to yours in terms of the instructions (I tweaked the Tiki Taka preset very slightly) but my roles and duties are quite different.

Namely, I have a Winger on Attack on one side. And use an IWB instead of a standard FB, as I attempted to recreate an Arteta/Pep system. 

One thing I’ve never been good at in FM, is understanding how much (or how little) changing a role or duty can impact an entire setup. I usually try and replicate a system, like I believe yours was based on Spain? But when things start to go wrong, I struggle to understand what I should change and the ramifications that those changes will have on the end goal. 

Remember that the style you are creating is the end goal, something a lot of people don't realise or forget. Yonko above seems to have forgotten that with his replies and is posting like you have the end product at the start, which isn't realistic. The recreation or whatever you are making should also be the end goal and what you work towards, which you seem to be doing already :). You'll also have to make some kind of compromise along the way too due to it being just a game and unable to replicate the most advance things.

If things go wrong then take some time to assess what is going wrong. You can use the data hub, watch games, even pause the game at random intervals and look at players positioning etc. Try and pin point what is going wrong and then you'll likely have limited options to fix it anyway. So a lot of stuff is easily fixable when you narrow them down.

Another thing is, when doing a recreation it's much harder. Let's take the Pep example you spoke about above, this is hard to replicate because it wasn't a one fit for all. If he played different personnel then his style changes slightly too, with how they used the ball, created space and had runners. Still the same end product but slightly different in the way it was achieved.

So it might be much easier to focus on a specific event, goal, phase of play or so on, for the recreation as it's much easier to replicate compared to a full 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

It's all about context and the level you are at. If you are a amateur/weak side then getting high possession numbers 65+ is much harder as it relies on technical players. But all that matters at those levels is having more possession than any other side in that league. If you manage that, then no one can argue it isn't a possession tactic. If you're a strong side like you with Barca then imo anything less than 65+ first season would be deemed a failure for me with the players they have. It's easier on FM23 to have major possession numbers if you play as a good side. Harder if you play as a rubbish side as it's passes that count now like explained in the article.

We'll have to agree to disagree here though because in game terms (not talking RL so no idea why you keep bringing that up, the article was clear I was talking about the game and don't think I brought up RL once) there is such a thing about toothless possession and doing nothing with it. I was just reading another post of yours actually just now, where you was talking about this exact thing and wasn't really scoring as much as you should or creating anything meaningful. And that was posted in 2020. 

I respect your opinion and efforts. But for me a possession tactic should average 60% even at lower level with weak teams. Toothless possession, sure. Your players can struggle sometimes to score goals, it happens in FM as it does in real life. Players miss chances, GKs have great games, opponents stay deep and limit space, etc. But that doesn't justify the term "possession for the sake of it". Possession always has a purpose and aims for more than just for the sake of it. My post from 2020 is irrelevant to this discussion because FM23 is different than the FM version that post was about. 

I think it comes down to matter of personal preference and standards. I'm pretty sure that if the MEZ is changed to Support duty and the RPM was changed to DLP-S, then your tactic will average 60% possession or more. But you prefer something more sharp in attack to create and score more than have higher possession averages. I think you mentioned that in future parts of the article you will introduce how different roles impact the tactic and the outcome. 

2 hours ago, Panosgeo79 said:

Great topic Cleon

Do you still believe that for aggressive mentalities it's better to use for possession football less aggressive roles?

For example FB I stead of WB,or IW instead of IF or Raum?

It's a personal preference of mine but I believe it to be the best for me for sure and the way I play yeah. Just like I prefer aggressive roles in less aggressive mentalities, 

56 minutes ago, Sarriball14 said:

Great read! For a club DNA for this style of play what would you say the core Attributes are for Technical mental and physical.

This is taken from my book;

The Passing/Possession Approach

Over the last few years, lots of teams have gone possession crazy since the likes of Barcelona and Spain both set the tactical trends of what we see now over 10 years ago. This type of game often involves a slow meticulous build-up of play where the ball is patiently passed around the pitch, often being played out from the back. The aim is to keep possession at all costs until an opening is created and there is a possibility of a shot at goal. This does require highly technical players who are composed on the ball so they can keep the ball at their feet until an opening occurs. It also requires patience and needs to have runners so you can do something useful with the ball. Having possession is easy but can you create something that retains possession and uses it in dangerous positions? This part is hard and might require a lot of time watching games and seeing how the players and roles interact with each other.

Technical Attributes

• First Touch – You need people who can control the ball and won’t risk giving it away by having a heavy first touch.
  • Passing – You want people on the side who can distribute the ball well to take advantage of situations in the game. Poor distribution will lead to missed opportunities.
  • Technique - As you are creating a passing game you need to ensure you have players who are comfy with the ball at their feet and can actually do stuff with it.

Mental Attributes

• Anticipation - You’ll want the players to anticipate the movement of others around them as well as the type of ball they might be about to receive.
  • Composure - Quite a vital attribute for me as someone with low composure will have their decision-making rushed and could become flustered if they are being pressed/closed down heavily or have little time on the ball. You don’t want players who are likely to panic to have lots of possession as they will likely always be forced into making a quick decision that they aren’t capable of doing correctly.
  • Concentration - Players need to be switched on for the full 90 minutes, any lapse of concentration could see them making more mistakes and these can be costly especially if you intend to retain possession.
  • Vision – Again this is important as you need a player to be able to see his options around him. Someone with low vision is unlikely to see all the available options and could miss seeing the obvious choices.
  • Off The Ball - You need players who are able to move around and find a bit of space so they aren’t static. This will help keep possession if players move around losing their marker etc as it means the player on the ball will have free options around him to pick out a pass.
  • Teamwork - Again this is needed to play as a unit. But if you have a few special talents in your side that might be better playing as individuals then this isn’t as important. But very few teams have that kind of luxury.

Physical Attributes

• Agility - Provides the player with the ability to turn fast if needed. Ideally, all attacking players should be agile when playing an attacking game. As they’ll be receiving the ball a lot and sometimes might find themselves with it when they weren't expecting it.
  • Balance - You don’t want players who can’t stay on their feet to see much of the ball as they’ll give possession away far too cheaply. You have to be confident that players who see lots of the ball don’t fall over or go to the ground easily.
  • Strength - Not everyone needs this but it can be a good idea to have a few physically strong players on the side, especially in those positions where you might need the player to be creative and get stuck into certain battles. The higher the attribute the better as it means they should be able to shrug certain challenges off and not lose the ball so easily.

On 01/12/2022 at 09:44, Cleon said:

May I ask what makes AP support and Mez on attack the best combo for you? Just so I can maybe use it and help train my eye on what makes them an effective pairing when I analyze tactics? I’m reading your football manager playbook and it’s great help, thank you very much!

4 minutes ago, exitt14 said:

May I ask what makes AP support and Mez on attack the best combo for you? Just so I can maybe use it and help train my eye on what makes them an effective pairing when I analyze tactics? I’m reading your football manager playbook and it’s great help, thank you very much!

The AP sitting deep and just hitting the Mez in high up positions constantly with the ball and playing him into space. It's devastating due to the runs the Mez makes.

55 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The AP sitting deep and just hitting the Mez in high up positions constantly with the ball and playing him into space. It's devastating due to the runs the Mez makes.

Thanks! I'm new to the game and so it's all a bit overwhelming lol, but that's to be expected. My initial (uninformed) expectation would've been that a mezzala might make too many runs to the flanks and isolate an AP operating the the middle of the pitch. And perhaps an attacking midfielder might be a better option since they may stay more central. As I said though, that is pure uninformed speculation. Honestly what is most difficult for me as someone who wants to implement many of your suggestions is the fact that I'm an American who is not well versed in football in general, and so it's hard to me to have a picture in my head of how I want my team to play! I don't have a team I watch or a base of knowledge to work with, so I only have nebulous concepts that aren't exactly a cohesive style that translates to an FM tactic. Do you maybe have any suggestions on a resource that might be useful for a total newbie to use as a base for recreating a tactic? Or finding a style that can be translated to an FM tactic? Thanks again for the reply 

17 hours ago, exitt14 said:

Thanks! I'm new to the game and so it's all a bit overwhelming lol, but that's to be expected. My initial (uninformed) expectation would've been that a mezzala might make too many runs to the flanks and isolate an AP operating the the middle of the pitch. And perhaps an attacking midfielder might be a better option since they may stay more central. As I said though, that is pure uninformed speculation. Honestly what is most difficult for me as someone who wants to implement many of your suggestions is the fact that I'm an American who is not well versed in football in general, and so it's hard to me to have a picture in my head of how I want my team to play! I don't have a team I watch or a base of knowledge to work with, so I only have nebulous concepts that aren't exactly a cohesive style that translates to an FM tactic. Do you maybe have any suggestions on a resource that might be useful for a total newbie to use as a base for recreating a tactic? Or finding a style that can be translated to an FM tactic? Thanks again for the reply 

The Mez plays more in the half spaces rather than the flanks for most parts. The AP is also mobile but they're usually in close proximity to each other.

As for suggestions for a source for ideas on playstyles etc, I'd honestly use the presets. Read what the roles do and the settings they have and then play around. If you start reading real life stuff, I think that might be a bit overwhelming and confuse you even more. Especially as FM doesn't always use replicate life terminology like you read about. In FM the same thing can be slightly different.

3 hours ago, Maxim26 said:

Hi. Please tell me what do you think about the OI and individual instructions?

I never use OI's and none of the players above have individual instructions. Individual instructions are a good way of getting a player to do something specific that he currently does do, but I had no need for them here. I dislike OI's as they make your tactic behave very differently to how you've set up, so I never use them as I always have full faith in my systems.

On 03/12/2022 at 07:03, yonko said:

Thinking of your post watching Spain in the World Cup.

image.gif.28f9d64d2bf8d018aa334d5e6179b309.gifhttps://www.bbc.com/sport/live/football/61047682/page/2image.gif.28f9d64d2bf8d018aa334d5e6179b309.gif

Edited by phnompenhandy