How to manage a complete bankrupt club [850m in debt first season]

Everton are in 850m net debt at the very start of the game

Misc - 37m with 22m left to pay off, with 7m interest paid of until 2034 [12 years]

Bank loans 480m with 470m left to pay off, until 2041 [20+ years]

Gifted loans 350m paid back when chair person leaves

The board expect me to be best of the rest for season 2 onwards

Wow. Are Everton really in that much debt? The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when I reach -50m, let alone 9 figures.

My take just from how I've generally handled my finances, hypercharged:

1. Don't buy anybody. If you need players, go to your youth team and if you really have to go to the transfer market try loaning in on low wages as much as possible.

2. Sell everybody who is not absolutely key to try and get a bit closer to the black. Anybody at 3 stars ability and/or potential or lower is a viable sale. Even players above that should be considered for sale if high bids come in, unless the squad would be decimated by their departure.

3. Anybody who can't be sold should be loaned out with as much wages, fees as possible to get them off the wage budget.

4. Haggle relentlessly and play other clubs off each other for transfers whether selling or loaning.

PL TV rights are only 80 million+ a year. The combination of PL and sponsorships is going to take you over around 100 million, and even with CL football you're going to take many years to get anywhere near getting back to a stable state, but it will make getting back there a bit more managable.

Edited by HighFlyingDwarf

25 minutes ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Wow. Are Everton really in that much debt? The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when I reach -50m, let alone 9 figures.

My take just from how I've generally handled my finances, hypercharged:

1. Don't buy anybody. If you need players, go to your youth team and if you really have to go to the transfer market try loaning in on low wages as much as possible.

2. Sell everybody who is not absolutely key to try and get a bit closer to the black. Anybody at 3 stars ability and/or potential or lower is a viable sale. Even players above that should be considered for sale if high bids come in, unless the squad would be decimated by their departure.

3. Anybody who can't be sold should be loaned out with as much wages, fees as possible to get them off the wage budget.

4. Haggle relentlessly and play other clubs off each other for transfers whether selling or loaning.

PL TV rights are only 80 million+ a year. The combination of PL and sponsorships is going to take you over around 100 million, and even with CL football you're going to take many years to get anywhere near getting back to a stable state, but it will make getting back there a bit more managable.

A lot off contracts expire in the next year, doucoure 120k a week, mina 120k a week, pickford in 2 years 110k, coady 60k, begovic 40k tom davies 42k

And then you have one of the best players  amadou onana on just 35k a week

Its also scary to know players like mason holgate, keane have 3 years left, even idrissa gueye has 2 years on 130k a week while already being 32 [turns 33 this year!]

edit: just checked they even have nkounkou on 17k a wek in the u21 out on loan to cardiff which he probs wont play much

Edited by PandaIsland

9 hours ago, PandaIsland said:

Everton are in 850m net debt at the very start of the game

Misc - 37m with 22m left to pay off, with 7m interest paid of until 2034 [12 years]

Bank loans 480m with 470m left to pay off, until 2041 [20+ years]

Gifted loans 350m paid back when chair person leaves

The board expect me to be best of the rest for season 2 onwards

You can safely ignore the debt, bank loan is 23M per year, that wont kill you and gift loan will probably never be repaid anyway. Just stay a bit below wage budget and slowly push old high earners out of the club and you will be ok. Just dont force the players out too hard, you will not get much money that way and you can destabilize the atmosphere.

As the good old british saying says "keep calm and carry on".

You'll get 100m a season anyway from tv rights and prize money. If you just trim the squad where possible, pick up possible bargains (transfer listed or loans/end of contract), and stay within budgets, you'll be fine.

If you want more reassurance, the game classifies Everton as rich, and Chelsea ("only" 100m debt), as secure. So yeah, it seems pretty meaningless.

With ease?

The amount you'll be paying towards those loans per year is minimal, while the amount you'll earn just by being in the EPL is crazy. You'll be fine. You'll barely even notice the debt is there and before you know it it'll be gone. I'm actually pretty disappointed at how little impact it has on top clubs.

Don't get relegated though, the financial disparity between the Championship and the EPL is massive.

Edited by rusty217