Match 32: Portugal vs Uruguay 7pm GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

I thought the current rule was it's not handball if it's natural position when doing a sliding tackle.

It's not supposed to be a pen if the defender goes to ground and hits his supporting arm. However, it's gone through his legs and he's put his arm behind himself, denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Objectively, idk if that technically should be a pen, but subjectivity, I don't think the defender can have many complaints for a pen being given there. 

For me it's totally irrelevant whether the arm prevents a good attacking opportunity or not.

Handballs should only be given IMO when it's either truly deliberate, or the defender has deliberately made themselves bigger by holding or throwing their arms in a deliberately unnatural position.

I don't care if arms stop balls going into goals, no penalty without some kind of intention is my very strong preference.  I hate seeing defenders running around in the box with their arms behind their back.

4 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

It's not supposed to be a pen if the defender goes to ground and hits his supporting arm. However, it's gone through his legs and he's put his arm behind himself, denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Objectively, idk if that technically should be a pen, but subjectivity, I don't think the defender can have many complaints for a pen being given there. 

Agree with this.

Completely agree that the handball isn’t deliberate. But if it is denying a goal scoring opportunity, then it has to be a penalty.

2 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Pretty sure DJ did say it tbf :D 

Did not :D But Uruguay could have lucked out with a draw if it wasn't for the ref slamming the door shut on a last minute surprise. 

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Christ, Pougatch is infuriating. Basically just making his own long winded opinion into a flaky question, but in a way that the pundit can’t possibly disagree with him.

yep, every time.  He is so smug with it as well, clearly thinks the public need to hear his football opinions rather than the guests.

58 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Yea the current handling laws do have some issues. I was quite surprised that the referee didn't tell the VAR to feck off tbh.

55 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

If it were deliberate, it'd be red. 

No no no. The only time handling is a red card is if it is a DOGSO situation.

16 hours ago, PMLF said:

The pitch invader has been identified:

According to reports in non-English language press, Infantino helped him get released without any sanction, but he has also been banned from the World Cup, and will arrive in Italy on Thursday.