Iran v USA - Al Thumama Stadium, Cymru v England - Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, 7PM UK time.

git2thachoppa

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Confused Clarity said:

We've always had the final two group games for each group in the same thread for tournaments for as long as I can remember.

Fair enough, but now I know how Afghanistan feels.

29 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Heard someone argue quite convincingly that actually Bale should be left on the bench.

Realistically if Wales aren't going to win 4-0, their best hope is a narrow win... maybe 1-0 or 2-1... and then hope that the other game is a draw.  So you could bring Bale on for the last half hour if it's opening up and if they can nick a late goal.  Instead of that now he runs around all game... but if it's still level on 70 minutes and the other game is in Wales's favour he is shagged out by the time it's getting interesting.

There's a few that should be on the bench. They've stuck with guys who don't seem to be really performing or good enough - understandably - but judging by these games it's cost them a chance of getting out of what is quite a **** group

8 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

What's with the 90s bucket hats?

One of our supporters who regularly travelled to away games for years started a company called "Spirit of 58" to make unofficial sports memorabilia for Wales supporters to wear other than the official replica kits.  One of the things he created was a bucket hat as a bit of fun.

It started then being a thing with a hardcore group. Then spread to the kits and then just became almost ubiquitous. 

It's just some fun really and a way to identify with each other and give a sense of comradary.

Edit: "Spirit of 58" obviously coming from the last time we were at a world cup finals.

Edited by Confused Clarity

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm not saying it's not, but that's just in your language.

Every country has different names in different languages, can't push out usage of  Wales from English language.

Wales comes from the old brition word for "foreigner". Using it to many a feeling of othering. Being called a foreigner in our own land.

I'm indifferent to it personally and have done the Cymru thing this world cup as a bit of fun, but I don't think it's unreasonable for those to want to see a change push for that change given the history of the respective words.

3 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Iran itself is a good example of a successful name change in foreign languages as it used to be called 'Persia' outside Iran.

We say 'Persian' still when we want to sound sophisticated or to avoid discrimination.

Iranian = Like Iraq (people even say 'Irani' like 'Iraqi'), terrorists, Arabic etc.

Persian = Amazing food, ancient civilisation, fluffy cat, sexy Italian boys

1 minute ago, git2thachoppa said:

We say 'Persian' still when we want to sound sophisticated or to avoid discrimination.

Iranian = Like Iraq (people even say 'Irani' like 'Iraqi'), terrorists, Arabic etc.

Persian = Amazing food, ancient civilisation, fluffy cat, sexy Italian boys

I meant the country itself has always been Iran. A quick check online suggests the Sasanian Empire was called 'Ērānšahr' for instance.

I think using the name Persia in the senses you mentioned is a more modern thing.

6 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

The lad looked confused why everybody was singing "God save the king"

I thought it was just me but he did look as if he was signing "God save the Queen" and wondering why no one else was. 

Can't listen to Danny Gabbidon already after claiming that Wales were going to give 110%

Edited by Gary_Parker