Match 31: Brazil vs Switzerland live from Stadium 974

PMLF

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Why do they call it the 974 Stadium? Don’t think anyone has mentioned it yet.

Probably 974 workers died building it…

But the real reason is this:

Stadium 974 is named after the number of shipping containers used for its construction. The number 974 is also the country's international dialling code.

Darn...:D

Another reasonable game imo, ITV certainly consider it a good one so have Sam and Lee on commentary. Neymar is injured so will be unable to dedicate a first goal of the tournament to Jair Bolsonaro as he stated he would do, in case you had run out of reasons to dislike him.

Brazil.jpg.42876289f947d24a088b282a12d88c18.jpg

Swiss.thumb.jpg.488836657ca1330f8fe1a5150ba6ddca.jpg

Their matches so far?

Switzerland beat Cameroon and Brazil beat Serbia.

The consequences?

The draw earlier in the day means that a defeat wouldn't be disastrous for either team. If Switzerland fail to win then a defeat to Serbia would likely see them out, Brazil have a bit more leeway unless they lose heavily thanks to their 2 goal margin in game 1, but only a win guarantees progression.

History in the World Cup?

Switzerland - one of the few teams that played regularly in the first editions so got to a few quarter finals, including 5-7 loss to Austria in 1954 which holds the record for most goals in a single game. Between 1966 and 2006 they qualified once, thanks to Roy Hodgson, but this is their 5th successive tournament. Due to better opposition and Haris Seferovic, they are less well-known for high scoring matches.

Brazil - Five time winners and perennial favourites. Garrincha, Pele, Socrates, Zico, Rivaldo, Ronaldo... too many legends to count.

Past meetings?

2 meetings in World Cups, 2-2 in 1950 and 1-1 in 2018. I have no memory of the 2018 match despite a brilliant Coutinho strike but this means Switzerland are unbeaten against the South Amercan giants in competitive games (Brazil have the edge when you include friendlies). Surely the ball was out of play in 1950? The Swiss were robbed.

Music?

Two songs heavily linked to football, either Brazilian or sample Brazilian music. Switzerland have the GOAT font but less pop culture

helvetica.thumb.jpg.47910ec523f710e2ded4525bdf5658bd.jpg

Edited by The_jagster

1 minute ago, AK22 said:

The state of Karen Cairney's All Time Brazil XI - Cafu and Roberto Carlos in a back three :D

I think that's why Karen Carney is not a football manager.

Would you have Alisson in an all-time Brazil XI? Goalkeeper not a traditional strength of theirs, but surely they still have one or two contenders?

37 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Neymar is injured so will be unable to dedicate a first goal of the tournament to Jair Bolsonaro as he stated he would do, in case you had run out of reasons to dislike him.

Most of the Brazilian squad sympathize with Bolsonaro, Everton Ribeiro and Richarlison are exceptions, as is manager Tite.

Speaking of Alisson... surely THIS is the perfect song for Brazil vs Switzerland? :p

This has it all. The singer was born in Switzerland (but is otherwise American), she wrote this song about the Brazilian goalkeeper (okay, probably not :D), and she literally has Soccer in her name (though she has no interest in the sport, as far as I know).

Look... I'm low on ideas, alright? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Even though I actually rate Fred I think it's mental him and Paqueta start ahead of Bruno Guimaraes :D 

And likewise Switzerland must have an incredible defence if Schar doesn't start for them. 

I'm bitter! Both to lose please!

There is a hierarchy within the squad and Bruno Guimarães needs to wait until he has a chance to move up.

Just now, WillHoward42 said:

Captain Xhaka not singing the National anthem. Political reason? Or he just doesn’t know the words?

I think I read somewhere that several Swiss players from immigrant backgrounds (i.e. not French/Italian/German) don't sing the anthem.

15 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I think that's why Karen Carney is not a football manager.

Would you have Alisson in an all-time Brazil XI? Goalkeeper not a traditional strength of theirs, but surely they still have one or two contenders?

Felix the Cat ffs

3 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I think I read somewhere that several Swiss players from immigrant backgrounds (i.e. not French/Italian/German) don't sing the anthem.

Aye.

And IMO it's disgraceful. It's perfectly fine to have "mixed" allegiances due to a immigrant background, but if you can't sing the anthem, you should've been representing your parents country instead. 

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Hierarchy and seniority is the reason why most big teams get eliminated.

It has always been like that with the Brazilian NT though. You can't have the NT based too much on club form or you'll  be changing the starters and the squad all the time.

20 minutes ago, Smallen said:

Even though I actually rate Fred I think it's mental him and Paqueta start ahead of Bruno Guimaraes :D 

And likewise Switzerland must have an incredible defence if Schar doesn't start for them. 

I'm bitter! Both to lose please!

Paqueta is good, so can understand that.

But Bruno not ahead of Fred is a bit boring for Brazil. If we got to the final, this is the sort of Brazil team I'd like to face. 

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Fred has been awful for many years.

Reminds me of how you got eliminated in 2006 because Ronaldo who was completely past it had to play.

Look at the current welsh team who may as well start with 9 players because of this very thing.

Fred has been decent for national team though, also depends on the tactical set up.

Bruno next to paqueta seems far too attacking when you have their front 3 so strong and pacey.

As good as casemiro is, the legs of embolo and some around him will get past him a few times, need those legs in there- fred compliments that. 

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

Fred has been decent for national team though, also depends on the tactical set up.

Bruno next to paqueta seems far too attacking when you have their front 3 so strong and pacey.

As good as casemiro is, the legs of embolo and some around him will get past him a few times, need those legs in there- fred compliments that. 

Doesn't Guimaraes have some ridiculous stats for tackles and interceptions though?

5 minutes ago, Butts said:

Doesn't Guimaraes have some ridiculous stats for tackles and interceptions though?

I think only Palhinha at Fulham has more tackles per 90 this year or something. Bruno G has been playing as a single pivot 6 in the joint best defence in the league this year. He can defend!

5 minutes ago, Butts said:

Myabe in the league? I dont think he's as disciplined as fred though. They're defending in a 442 with fred supporting that 8 role. He seems to be sitting inbetween 2 swiss players so he's drawing them in. 

Hopefully we get to see him, see what he offers.