Maximising Attack and Defence in a Classic 4-3-3

It's been a long time coming but I will be releasing a long-overdue update to my 4-3-3 experimentation. The goal is still to try to combine effective attack with a solid defence and make 4-3-3 into an all-around good tactic to tackle most opposition. I'm planning to release something here before the middle of the week hopefully :) Thank you to all those who patiently kept this thread going with their questions and advice. All the passion in here really shows why 4-3-3 is such a beloved formation. I might not show it lately (with my other tactical distractions) but it's still my favourite and most used tactic in FM since days of Football Manager 2014.

Edited by crusadertsar

Just started the new season with hearts and it doesn’t look to good. I‘ve won the first matches but my team didn’t play convincing.

Plan is to lure opponents out with a low mid block (higher DL and lower LoE). I have strong passers a BPD and a DLP with exceptional vision (17) a slow but hard working midfield and fast attackers and strong WB. I am not sure how to split the roles.

I played with my DLP as a HB, a MEZa/s and a simple MCs in central midfield. IFs and IWs/a on the wings and a PFa up front. Two WBs and BPD CD in the center.

it went extremely well. Managed a 3:0 against the Rangers, finishing the first month undefeated. 

My team produces none main key passer, usually some players have 1-2 max 3 key passes in a game and many goals came by setpieces. I fear that if those won’t go in for some games the tides will turn. 
How can I produce more keypasses? 

Edited by HanziZoloman

Rebuilding The Tactical Foundation

Why attempt another 4-3-3 recreation in yet another FM game? Those who have been following me for a while, probably know that I have attempted something similar a few times already. Particularly in my long-going Total Football thread (link on one of my comments above, if you are interested). As well as the Swiss Knife thread (which was more focused on the mid-block Mourinho-style 4-3-3). 

What can be done different in FM23 to merit another thread? And there are only a few variations that one can do with the classic 4-3-3 before starting to sound like a broken record.

From the onset there were a few things that I wanted to include in my FM23 4-3-3 recreation. From the instruction perspective I really wanted to create the style of defending through possession. In my opinion 4-3-3 is one of the best formations for this. That is, defending progressively by controlling the ball rather than the more reactive defending of sitting back and waiting for the opposition to enter you half of the pitch.

I'm one of those managers that likes to set up my tactic and have it work against most opposition and in varied tactical situations. Of course one must be ready to make tactical tweaks here and there, but I am not one to completely change how we play based on what the opposite team does. I rather be confident in how my team is set up and instead force the opponent to deal with us and change their own game plan.

So when I set up a 4-3-3 then I want to use that formation all the time. And my instructions will also stay largely the same for most matches, whether domestic or in Champions League. This is for one simple reason. To me 4-3-3 is a formation that is made for controlling the pitch. It is perfect for defending and attacking in a proactive, progressive fashion (there is a good reason why Pep Guardiola favoured 4-3-3 shape when he perfected his Positional Play philosophy). A well-run 4-3-3 that presses high and has technical players in every position to control the ball both in defence and in attack, will work equally well against elite opposition in Champions League and the underdog parking the bus domestically. On the other hand, low-block 4-3-3 (4-5-1) will play very differently from the classic high-pressing 4-3-3. It would not be the same tactic any more. And this thread is about a classic 4-3-3. I am not going to say Total Football, because you are probably tired of me writing about that. But you could read between the lines ;)

From onset, I wanted a tactic that defended proactively, in the opposition half. And do this on the ball rather than reactively off the ball. I want my team to defend by controlling the ball. In this way possession is a means to an end, and not the other way around where managers get hung up on totally meaningless statistical data like % percentage. I just want possession to help us defend and attack. So I don't care if the opposition has higher percentage number. They could have it. As long as it's meaningless possession. Especially, if all their possession amounts to is wide runs by their wingers and fullbacks and low-chance crosses into our penalty area.

While messing with tactics this weekend, I decided to try something different. Give the tactics templates/presets (that come with a game) a chance. The tactic presets are often frowned upon by some users on this forum. They are often viewed as somehow inferior to self-made tactics. I would like to disagree. The presets actually set a good base to build upon, and arrive at the specific tactical system suited to your team. You just need to be ready to make a few adjustments. The presets are made to recreate the specific tactical style, such as Tiki-Taka football, but do so in very broad strokes. As such they always need to be adjusted to your specific team. Unless you are a top team like PSG or Bayern. With the players those clubs have, you could probably win the Champion's League with the unmodified vanilla preset tactic. Hell, if you are Bayern you could probably win it with a simple Positive mentality tactic without any team instructions. Try it! 

tikitaka.png.747224e5543f66c9a690bae231f0fa38.png

I like those instructions! Even without tweaking for my chosen team, I can already visualize the kind of football it can create. Short passing, methodical build-up where your success is not left up to chance or opposition mistake. Instead you press and dog your opponent into making a mistake and create your own opportunities through superior movement and ball control. At first, it might seem like a lot of team instructions but they are actually all well-chosen to really accentuate your team's tendency to prioritize holding on to the ball and moving it up the field in a very methodical, calculated manner. Simple Pass and move and outplaying your opponent at every step. You win purely through the technical and mental prowess of your players. Provided you have the right players to fill the roles of course. AHA! So you do need to be a club like Bayern or PSG to use this tactic to its fullest potential then!? 

Nope. Not at all. You can use this kind of "extreme" 4-3-3 with a club that is 1/12 the value of Bayern. A giant in its league mind you, but still a little fish in the Champions League. Or should I say little cat :cool:

copen.png.0e5dea7a9442ef28acf49126fb3c2018.png

But anyway, let's go back to the tactic.

Tac4.png.9755a36dc368a43f4b44b555eabd6577.png

As you can see I made some very minor tweaks to the instructions - adding three and removing one (low crosses). All of these changes were made to better fit my players at FC København. I have two tall Target Forward-type strikers so low crosses had to go. And my two starting centrebacks are very tall and strong so staying on feet and inviting the opposition to cross both made sense. The rest of the instructions I kept the same.

In terms of the roles however my tactic gravitates rather far from the source material. The premise is pretty conventional (and perhaps predictable to those experimenting with recreating 3-1-6 shape in attack). I like to think of this formation as a sort of cross between Pep and Klopp (Pelopp?). And naturally it is full of hybrid roles, and players smartly moving into space liberated by others. One fullback goes central to become a sort of hybrid Defensive Midfielder. The other acts as a more conventional wingback by pushing forward and providing width on the left flank. I instruct him to overlap to give him a higher mentality and exaggerate the tendency to operate in the final third even further (but without making him into a crossing machine). At the same time you have an attacking inside forward type coming inside on the side of the attacking wingback. And a more traditional winger (represented by player in an Inverted Winger role because I don't just want him to dribble to the byline and cross all day) staying mostly wide and stretching play on the right side. First important thing to note is that I instruct my right wide player (IW) to stay wider. This is done to offset the inverted wingback moving into the central area. I also make sure to play a player whose favoured foot is the same as the flank he is on. So in this case, right-footed. 

The strong, tall, hard-working striker (the more technically complete player you can get the better), two playmaker-type "free 8s" (mezzala and AM), half-back (to create the back three in attack) and two tall centrebacks (after your free 8s these two positions is where you should spend the rest of your transfer kitty). Ideally you want one fast cover duty centreback, complemented by a stopper. Your Ball-playing defender can be on either duty but I prefer to play my BPD as a stopper because it allows him to push higher up to link better with the wingbacks and half-back. Of course, if your more technical ballplaying defender is a natural covering sweeper then play him as such and leave the stopping duties to the more traditional defender. 

And that is just a little summary of the tactic. I intend to discuss some of the roles at more detail.

• Especially my rationale behind setting up the two "free 8s" in the rather unusual manner that I did.
  • My role choice for the central striker.
  • Why the asymmetric position of the Half-Back (you might guess that one :onmehead:little clue: look at the player on his extreme right)
  • And what I expect to see from my right flank inverted wingback. That's a tricky one. Honestly I need to do more testing to see whether Support or Defend duty (with added underlap instruction) will be better to create the kind of central movement I want from this player.
  • So stay tuned to find out these things and more :)

image.thumb.jpeg.e900b5253286e81544fe4858a86343fe.jpeg

Edited by crusadertsar

Wow, my favorite team! I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with them. I’m especially interested in seeing who you will play at IW as you want a right footed player in that spot.

My guess is that you want Daramy at IF thus making Claesson an obvious choice, although he could do a great job at AM, too. 

What are your plans with Roony Bardghji?

4 hours ago, Lasson said:

Wow, my favorite team! I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with them. I’m especially interested in seeing who you will play at IW as you want a right footed player in that spot.

My guess is that you want Daramy at IF thus making Claesson an obvious choice, although he could do a great job at AM, too. 

What are your plans with Roony Bardghji?

Actually I have my eye on this guy as my prime right flank IW candidate.

image.thumb.png.0ec4003869f6989079f794f37a364133.png

Great Acceleration, Pace, Agility and Technique. Also good Crossing, Dribbling, Off The Ball and Work Rate. All the prime winger attributes. His Finishing is not the best but then scoring goals won't be his main task. I'll leave that to the IF, Pressing Forward and perhaps the AM. 

Speaking of AM, I think Viktor Claesson is better off in the more creative role as AM and one of my "free 8" half-space operators. He will basically act as one of the two midfield playmakers without actual playmaker role. His Acceleration (10) is unfortunately too low for the IW role. While all of his key technical and mental attributes are 15+. Very good player!

Daramy will probably be a backup for either IW or IF positions. He won't be my first choice in either case because he is:

1) Short-term loan

2) Doesn't have attributes as good as Mukairu for the IW role - which will be primarily a role for a fast crosser/passer/support winger to give width on that flank. 

3) I foresee two other players flourishing in my left flank IF position. Firstly, Roony Bardghji. So I definitely have BIG plans for this amazing 16 year old (is it me or is Copenhagen FC unbelievably full of wonderkids!?). Roony already has decent striker-type attributes like Finishing, Composure and Off The Ball in addition to his creativity. Just need to improve his physicals. To aid his development he will be getting as much playing time as possible.

Secondly, I have an important transfer planned for a young player from another Danish club. He is already making a name for himself so probably won't be a big surprise. I just hope he doesn't get snapped up by a bigger club before. You could try to make a guess who it will be :lol: I'm just going to say that he is a very well rounded inside forward already at a very young age (18!). So hopefully he can help us become more threatening in the Champions League.

Edited by crusadertsar

6 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Actually I have my eye on this guy as my prime right flank IW candidate.

Oh, totally forgot about Mukairu. He hasn’t been playing much in real life at all after Daramy came back on loan.

8 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Secondly, I have an important transfer planned for a young player from another Danish club.

Andreas Schelderup perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Lasson said:

Oh, totally forgot about Mukairu. He hasn’t been playing much in real life at all after Daramy came back on loan.

Andreas Schelderup perhaps?

Haha great minds think alike eh :brock: I was thinking, since we already have a couple of Icelandic wonderkids (how amazing is Isak Bergmann by the way!?) then why not go one step further and just try to amass all of the Nordic young talent at one club? And then scare the other "big" clubs with our crazy Viking football army :lol:

Edited by crusadertsar

vor 13 Minuten schrieb crusadertsar:

Haha great minds think alike eh :brock: I was thinking, since we already have a couple of Icelandic wonderkids (how amazing is Isak Bergmann by the way!?) then why not go one step further and just try to amass all of the Nordic young talent at one club? And then scare the other "big" clubs with our crazy Viking football army :lol:

This is exactly what I did at Kopenhagen in the early days of manager. Great! You need a Swedish player too, a tough defender like the one with the beard who played for Sweden many years or a striker like Martin Dahlin 😜

5 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

This is exactly what I did at Kopenhagen in the early days of manager. Great! You need a Swedish player too, a tough defender like the one with the beard who played for Sweden many years or a striker like Martin Dahlin 😜

I don't know how good he is on 23, but Edvin Tellgren turned out pretty good on my Hammarby save on FM22

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Mjalby?🤔

vor 8 Minuten schrieb crusadertsar:

Eintracht Braunschweig?

Great Club managed them up the leagues. Legendary shirts with Jägermeister on and Paul Breitner in it.

Would like a save with Arles Avignon

look at this Parma gems:

48F827FF-1B07-4C3C-82E3-DB33341B3D27.jpeg.22a891c02ac505110952dde765c603a1.jpeg

Edited by HanziZoloman

Why Use The Pressing Forward on Support?

image.gif.b3d53176b64f3b91c95da20a6675760c.gif

FC København has a reputation of developing and employing some very strong (in the physical sense) strikers. And I love it! Players like Andreas Cornelius, Jonas Wind and Rasmus Hojlund (recently moved to Atalanta) instantly come to mind. 

image.jpeg.9181ef9375e38bd7ee0c2968ce81ee26.jpeg

In the era where central forwards are often diminutive, agile and creative False 9s, this Danish club has not forgotten that throughout most of football history central strikers were hand-picked to be very strong, tall and generally physically-imposing. Especially in a single striker system like 4-3-3. There you need a player like that to spearhead your assault simply because you don't have the luxury of balancing the smaller agile forward with another striker to distract the harassing defenders. No, in a classic 4-3-3, the central striker has to be able to take on the defenders all by himself, often occupying as many as two centrebacks at the same time.

image.jpeg.ca16ff8684fe017f493f83f9453546c9.jpeg

Didier Drogba's exploits at Mourinho's Chelsea 4-3-3 system instantly come to mind. I think that is number one requirment in any effective 4-3-3. You will need a big strong striker to lead the line. Of course, because he is alone up front, he will need decent technical ability to be able to craft out the chances for his attacking teammates. But his raw physicality should go a long way to compensate for any shortcomings in the technical department. On the other hand, mental attributes are a must. Hence a Pressing Forward role is a great fit here.

For my tactic I chose a Pressing Forward on Support Duty for two reasons. It is the only central striker role that is both hard-coded to hold up the ball and does not inherently move into channels. In Football Manager there are not a lot of strikers that by design stay out of channels. Sure you can add that via a trainable trait but that takes time and I don't like the trait opposing the individual instruction because it will just dilute the effect.

As it stands there are only four striker roles that do not move into channels. False 9, Poacher, Target Forward and Pressing Forward (only on Support and Defend Duty). For my high-pressing possession system the Pressing Forward makes most sense. It is also the only forward role that has work-rate as one of its key attributes. That's just the kind of striker I love. Hard-working beast of a player who uses his greater physical presence to both create goal-scoring opportunities for himself and bring teammates into play (Teamwork is his other key attributes). If you have a player that blends the goal-scoring ability of an Advanced Forward with the physicality of Target Forward then you are set. Furthermore if he is at least decent dribbler and passer than you are golden!

IW and IF - there is not much more that needs to be said about these roles that I haven't mentioned already. Generally you will want them to compliment each other. IW should be stretching the play and providing support out wide with crosses and cutbacks, especially because you will have IWB going inside to act as another midfielder and AM occupying the right half-space. Also, ideally I want a player that plays on the same flank as his favoured foot like Paul Mukairu in my comment above. For my IF I would play the kind of agile creative forward that would generally pair well with a beastly Target Forward/Pressing Forward who spearheads the attack. In an ideal world, I would love to have Messi cutting inside from the flank while Haaland scares the centrebacks at the front. Instead, I have to make due with what I have. Which isn't so bad in the case of Copenhagen actually.

press.thumb.png.6aeaab6124e98e3d8f407028330ced74.png

My first choice of striker is no other than Andreas Cornelius, repentant son of København, who has returned to the club for the third time.

And his backup, is the young breakthrough star, Rasmus Hojlund. After having left for the sunny shores of Italy last season, he makes his triumphant come back to Copenhagen. I am excited to see how he develops as he has the potential to overtake Cornelius by quite a bit.

rasmus.png.ad8ab9b83445dd78677c5f691ccdda77.png

Both Rasmus and Andreas are just the right kind of hard-working teamplayer with the necessary physical attributes (balance, jumping reach and strength) to be able to hold up the ball. In holding up the ball he will take more time on the ball and slow down the speed of the game. And thus gain a better perspective over the game. The trait "play with the back to the goal" is ideal in such a player. When using a tactic with wide attackers cutting inside and/or onrushing central midfielders (mezzala) you absolutely need a "hold-up" type striker.

E68C985903E6E6959F2E6560C7595389D74B8C32 (1600×900)

And the best "hold-up" strikers are those with great balance, strength and jumping reach. Finally by using a role that does not move into channels you are ensuring that the striker will stays central. I could even use "hold position" instruction to accentuate this tendency even further. In this way the striker will mainly focus on bringing his teammates into play and giving them time to get forward. Both channels can be occupied. Just not by the striker but the half-space runners, your two "free 8s" roles.

9 dakika önce, crusadertsar said:

Why Use The Pressing Forward on Support?

image.gif.b3d53176b64f3b91c95da20a6675760c.gif

FC København has a reputation of developing and employing some very strong (in the physical sense) strikers. And I love it! Players like Andreas Cornelius, Jonas Wind and Rasmus Hojlund (recently moved to Atalanta) instantly come to mind. 

image.jpeg.9181ef9375e38bd7ee0c2968ce81ee26.jpeg

In the era where central forwards are often diminutive, agile and creative False 9s, this Danish club has not forgotten that throughout most of football history central strikers were hand-picked to be very strong, tall and generally physically-imposing. Especially in a single striker system like 4-3-3. There you need a player like that to spearhead your assault simply because you don't have the luxury of balancing the smaller agile forward with another striker to distract the harassing defenders. No, in a classic 4-3-3, the central striker has to be able to take on the defenders all by himself, often occupying as many as two centrebacks at the same time.

image.jpeg.ca16ff8684fe017f493f83f9453546c9.jpeg

Didier Drogba's exploits at Mourinho's Chelsea 4-3-3 system instantly come to mind. I think that is number one requirment in any effective 4-3-3. You will need a big strong striker to lead the line. Of course, because he is alone up front, he will need decent technical ability to be able to craft out the chances for his attacking teammates. But his raw physicality should go a long way to compensate for any shortcomings in the technical department. On the other hand, mental attributes are a must. Hence a Pressing Forward role is a great fit here.

For my tactic I chose a Pressing Forward on Support Duty for two reasons. It is the only central striker role that is both hard-coded to hold up the ball and does not inherently move into channels. In Football Manager there are not a lot of strikers that by design stay out of channels. Sure you can add that via a trainable trait but that takes time and I don't like the trait opposing the individual instruction because it will just dilute the effect.

As it stands there are only four striker roles that do not move into channels. False 9, Poacher, Target Forward and Pressing Forward (only on Support and Defend Duty). For my high-pressing possession system the Pressing Forward makes most sense. It is also the only forward role that has work-rate as one of its key attributes. That's just the kind of striker I love. Hard-working beast of a player who uses his greater physical presence to both create goal-scoring opportunities for himself and bring teammates into play (Teamwork is his other key attributes). If you have a player that blends the goal-scoring ability of an Advanced Forward with the physicality of Target Forward then you are set. Furthermore if he is at least decent dribbler and passer than you are golden!

IW and IF - there is not much more that needs to be said about these roles that I haven't mentioned already. Generally you will want them to compliment each other. IW should be stretching the play and providing support out wide with crosses and cutbacks, especially because you will have IWB going inside to act as another midfielder and AM occupying the right half-space. Also, ideally I want a player that plays on the same flank as his favoured foot like Paul Mukairu in my comment above. For my IF I would play the kind of agile creative forward that would generally pair well with a beastly Target Forward/Pressing Forward who spearheads the attack. In an ideal world, I would love to have Messi cutting inside from the flank while Haaland scares the centrebacks at the front. Instead, I have to make due with what I have. Which isn't so bad in the case of Copenhagen actually.

press.thumb.png.6aeaab6124e98e3d8f407028330ced74.png

My first choice of striker is no other than Andreas Cornelius, repentant son of København, who has returned to the club for the third time.

And his backup, is the young breakthrough star, Rasmus Hojlund. After having left for the sunny shores of Italy last season, he makes his triumphant come back to Copenhagen. I am excited to see how he develops as he has the potential to overtake Cornelius by quite a bit.

rasmus.png.ad8ab9b83445dd78677c5f691ccdda77.png

Both Rasmus and Andreas are just the right kind of hard-working teamplayer with the necessary physical attributes (balance, jumping reach and strength) to be able to hold up the ball. In holding up the ball he will take more time on the ball and slow down the speed of the game. And thus gain a better perspective over the game. The trait "play with the back to the goal" is ideal in such a player. When using a tactic with wide attackers cutting inside and/or onrushing central midfielders (mezzala) you absolutely need a "hold-up" type striker.

E68C985903E6E6959F2E6560C7595389D74B8C32 (1600×900)

And the best "hold-up" strikers are those with great balance, strength and jumping reach. Finally by using a role that does not move into channels you are ensuring that the striker will stays central. I could even use "hold position" instruction to accentuate this tendency even further. In this way the striker will mainly focus on bringing his teammates into play and giving them time to get forward. Both channels can be occupied. Just not by the striker but the half-space runners, your two "free 8s" roles.

Great insights and an interesting set-up, mate. I'd love to see you update this with the results. I never thought about this kind of asymmetrical shapes to achieve possession-style football. Can easily be my inspiration for my future saves if it can live up to my standards.:brock:

1 hour ago, frukox said:

Great insights and an interesting set-up, mate. I'd love to see you update this with the results. I never thought about this kind of asymmetrical shapes to achieve possession-style football. Can easily be my inspiration for my future saves if it can live up to my standards.:brock:

Haha I have to stop writing and finally get to playing then :lol: It's an eternal dilemma for me

Absolutely mental that you have managed to bring Rasmus Højlund back to the club. He didn’t get a whole lot of chances in real life and was shipped off to Sturm Graz. With them he shined and they made a huge profit on his move to Atalanta. 

I’m intrigued to see what you will do with the pretty good amount of great talent at the club with Isak Johanesson, Roony, Orri Oskarsson, Hakón Haraldsson, Noah Sahsah, William Clem, Valdemar Lund, Elias Jelert, Victor Kristiansen etc.

I’m sure you have heard about the small drama between Kamil Grabara and Mathew Ryan. Who do you prefer in goal?

Edited by Lasson

8 hours ago, Lasson said:

Absolutely mental that you have managed to bring Rasmus Højlund back to the club. He didn’t get a whole lot of chances in real life and was shipped off to Sturm Graz. With them he shined and they made a huge profit on his move to Atalanta. 

I’m intrigued to see what you will do with the pretty good amount of great talent at the club with Isak Johanesson, Roony, Orri Oskarsson, Hakón Haraldsson, Noah Sahsah, William Clem, Valdemar Lund, Elias Jelert, Victor Kristiansen etc.

I’m sure you have heard about the small drama between Kamil Grabara and Mathew Ryan. Who do you prefer in goal?

Yeah unfortunately Rasmus is only a one year loan. But I'm hoping that as our rep goes up we will be able to keep him more permanently. Or at least extend the loan. He is a really great young striker. In terms of combination of physical power, work ethic and technique he is a very rare commodity. Especially for a 19 y.o 

Regarding the goalie situation, I heard of the feud haha. It doesn't seem to be reflected in the game however. I'll probably use both with more preference to Grabara simply because he seems better in his attributes. Also it will interesting to get them both to mentor young Andreas Dithmer. He looks like a tremendous prospect at 16 y.o (like so many of these young players at this club haha). Dithmer is the future of the club so I'll focus on that. 

Edited by crusadertsar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello everyone,
great post. I hope there is a continuation of the article!? I'm a big LFC and Klopp fan. I love the 4-3-3. Especially in the early years under Klopp.
There was a lot more counterattacking going on. After that, the Reds had to increasingly include the ball possession game due to their superiority. 
I am currently training in Argentina for the first time. CA Independiente. There I would also like to introduce a 4-3-3 step by step. Would you choose a half back for the DM position only?