Match 28: Spain vs. Germany, 7pm UK time, live from the Al Bayt Stadium

Astafjevs

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Germany was a bit more clinical they'd be on 6 points and cruising now, instead they have 1 point and can thank Costa Rica for saving their asses (if they manage to actually beat Costa Rica :lol:). Pretty please Flick, just start Füllkrug. Strikers are a good thing!

Let's be honest, Germany weren't that great and only started playing when they weren't getting the point they played for.

Spain had made a bunch of subs, rhythm disrupted, and Füllkrug is a bit of a lump who gave them something else to deal with. Not a particularly good player either but when you've got no strikers...

9 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Let's be honest, Germany weren't that great and only started playing when they weren't getting the point they played for.

Spain had made a bunch of subs, rhythm disrupted, and Füllkrug is a bit of a lump who gave them something else to deal with. Not a particularly good player either but when you've got no strikers...

I thought Germany were decent in general, fought with Spain in midfield and should have made more of a couple of first half breaks. The Ferran offside shot was Spain's only big chance I can recall before they scored, unless I'm missing some glaring opportunity. Olmo hit the bar but it was still from outside the box. Very much a game that could have gone either way to me, Spain also could have done better with some of their breaks.

not sure of the stats but isn't Muller normally one of the best assisters in Europe in previous seasons? I know it's the Bundesliga but surely if he's able to do that and Fullkrug is currently one of the best strikers in the league, the proper plan would be to play Muller behind the actual striker?

Muller does have a lot of goals in World Cups past but that's dried up since 2014

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Just don't play Müller as your striker. Löw tried it all the time, it never worked. Yet for some reason Flick looked at it and went "I'll do the exact same thing Löw did, but I'm sure it will work when I do it!". And surprise, it didn't work. :seagull:

30 minutes ago, TM said:

not sure of the stats but isn't Muller normally one of the best assisters in Europe in previous seasons? I know it's the Bundesliga but surely if he's able to do that and Fullkrug is currently one of the best strikers in the league, the proper plan would be to play Muller behind the actual striker?

Muller does have a lot of goals in World Cups past but that's dried up since 2014

You guys are missing that for this match they were playing Spain who are amazing in the midfield, so for defensive reasons Flick packed the midfield in a 4-3-3 with 3 players capable of playing as 6 or as 8, Goretzka Kimmich and Gundogan. Muller can't do that. It was either play him upfront, shove him to a wing, or take him off, no space for a #10 or a second striker on this shape.

Edited by noikeee

I admittedly forgot Gundogan was playing until he came off, which happened at the same time as Fullkrug and Sane coming on, and Musiala shifting inside. (And not long after Spain brought Koke on).

Edited by XuluBak

10 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Just don't play Müller as your striker. Löw tried it all the time, it never worked. Yet for some reason Flick looked at it and went "I'll do the exact same thing Löw did, but I'm sure it will work when I do it!". And surprise, it didn't work. :seagull:

I am surprised he doesn’t go similar to what he did at Bayern. Have Muller behind the striker, Gnabry/Sane on wings and then Gundogan or Goretzka with Musiala as the CMs, meaning Kimmich goes RB. 

That’s if he’s adamant on having Muller as a starter.

16 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

GD ahead of h2h is so dumb.

16 hours ago, Freakiie said:

How do you H2H when Japan beat Germany, Germany (presumably) beat Costa Rica and Costa Rica beat Japan? :D

Ask the Italians if they think h2h is better.  :p

h2h can be good if there is only two teams involved. When there is three teams then full group results is much better.

Much better performance by Germany this time :thup:

Also really good to see that Flick reacted directly after the Spanish goal instead of waiting until it was too late. 

And Germany might just have found their long needed striker in Füllkrug :cool: