Match 28: Spain vs. Germany, 7pm UK time, live from the Al Bayt Stadium

Astafjevs

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Yeah gutted at the result earlier as Germany barely need a result here unless not to get completely battered.

A team going through on 3 points and GD would just be wrong.

Yeh Japan have ruined this really because you'd still expect Germany to beat Costa Rica and Spain to beat Japan. The only hope is that Spain put in another big score to put some jeopardy in the final matches. Germany having to chase GD, Japan parking the bus etc.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Yeah gutted at the result earlier as Germany barely need a result here unless not to get completely battered.

If a team on 3 points plus GD is the second best in the group then there is absolutely nothing wrong with them going through.

27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Happened with Denmark at the last Euros, I think that was the first Euros or WC group that finished 9-3-3-3.  Before that nobody had lost two out of three and still gone through.

Just now, Freakiie said:

Still not playing with an actual striker. Just how often are coaches gonna play Müller as a false 9, have it hopelessly fail and attempt it again the next game anyway. :seagull:

I'll admit I haven't got a clue about Fullkrug, is he actually good enough to start?

Muokoko is obviously a kid, but I'd say Adeyami has to be a better choice than Muller these days.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'll admit I haven't got a clue about Fullkrug, is he actually good enough to start?

Muokoko is obviously a kid, but I'd say Adeyami has to be a better choice than Muller these days.

I honestly don't even care whether he's good enough, I just care about having someone that parks his ass on top of the CDs and tries to keep them busy rather than drifting around 24/7 looking for the same space that all 3 guys behind him also want to drift into and finding none of it as a result.

Fancy Germany's chances a bit more now that Goretzka is starting. Doesn't really get the credit he deserves compared to other players in the German squad. Still think Kimmich needs to step up and show he can be their 'quarterback' and be defensively responsible at the same time.

I had Spain down as potential finalists before the tournament began, and they were absolutely ruthless against Costa Rica. Their attacking qualities are obvious, but I'm interested to see how their defence copes under pressure.

Going for Germany to win a five-goal thriller... which probably means Spain will win 1-0. :D

3 minutes ago, Mickybricks14 said:

Its weird that since klinsmann and beirhoff Germany have only had two good strikers in klose and Gomez and even then neither was world class.

They haven't had a good RB since lahm retired

Their best right-back since Lahm is playing in central midfield. Says a lot about their recent results, and also about their depth (or lack thereof).

Edited by CFuller

3 minutes ago, Mickybricks14 said:

Its weird that since klinsmann and beirhoff Germany have only had two good strikers in klose and Gomez and even then neither was world class.

They haven't had a good RB since lahm retired

Depends how you view strikers, but Podolski was good for Germany. Even Schurrle was good for them in doing a job, lack depth like that atm. Werner is a loss with Sane not being fully fit, even if people think Werner is a joker.