Match 27: Croatia vs Canada 4pm UK time from Khalifa International Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Canada have been fun to watch. Hope they keep Herdman for the next WC.

Would be nice if Belgium go out of the group stages now.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

I fully expect an all-time classic with many goals.

You'll manage to turn up one last time, despite Martinez.

And I expect him to start Lukaku, who's going to hobble off within 20 minutes.

who knows Canada trashing Morocco means we can both go through in the end after all

but in all honesty I can't see it happening for us, even with Lukaku

if he was fully fit then maybe

15 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Him as a lone striker was such a weird choice.

Andy Townsend is on here waffling about him not having a good time at Leicester. As if he hasn't been great for Hoffenheim all these years. :D

He wasn’t exactly bad for us either. He was clearly talented, he just wasn’t as good as Vardy so couldn’t get in the side ahead of him, no shame in that. You could always tell Kramaric was a good player who would be a success elsewhere though.

2 minutes ago, MIR17 said:

He wasn’t exactly bad for us either. He was clearly talented, he just wasn’t as good as Vardy so couldn’t get in the side ahead of him, no shame in that. You could always tell Kramaric was a good player who would be a success elsewhere though.

Yeah, poor timing, but his best role would've been in Okazaki's position.

Well, complete breakdown from Canada, I can't see them getting anything against Morocco.

Kind of unfair for them to end with 0 points considering all the awful teams in other groups, but that's football.

Waiting for @Rob1981 to explain the fading stuff.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Don't think Canada had the same intensity as they played with vs Belgium in the first game. Shape was a bit dodgy too even from the first half at 1 nil up. 

Credit to them for giving it a go and being positive though, enjoyed watching them in the two matches so far, shame they've got nothing to show for it and are already out. 

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Commentators waxing lyrical about Croatia but I don't see them troubling a top side later in the tournament should they get that far.

I agree but they were able to break down Canada with creativity whereas for example Belgium couldn't. They've already shown more than Belgium 

Croatia have played well but Keown has been condescending towards Canada from when Croatia equalised

usually irritating but he's making it sound as if Canada have never seen a football before with his "they've done well but it's not enough" routine.  All Canada probably need is a better defence, they've got some exciting attackers and can pass the ball

• Administrators
Just now, TM said:

Croatia have played well but Keown has been condescending towards Canada from when Croatia equalised

usually irritating but he's making it sound as if Canada have never seen a football before with his "they've done well but it's not enough" routine.  All Canada probably need is a better defence, they've got some exciting attackers and can pass the ball

They are like that with all the anglosphere nations, its not just Keown. USA just about escape it due to the players in the PL. 

Good experience for Canada ahead of 2026. 

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Not as good as they were in 2018, but good enough to beat Canada.

Think that covers it.

You're just clueless and there's the end of that.

90% of the forum is against Southgate and you're trying to justify his horrible choices and setup with all possible means, but somehow a team that had a less bad match against better opposition is fading away.

As for Canada, way too naive.

Pressing is fine, but how can you set it up against such midfield that your midfield has only two players, one of them being 40 years old? Inexcusable coaching.

If they had one more midfield and some stability in there, they would've had at least some points from these two matches.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Is there any thread on any topic that you can't bring back to Southgate ffs? :D

Go and have a lie down.

Of course I will call you out when you can't be objective for one second.

Trying to convince people they saw a match wrong and that you played "well defensively", despite USA being severely limited team, but Croatia that allowed pretty much one chance from inside of the box against better opponents is playing bad.

Whatever, enjoy your hype until first serious opponent.

Just now, Darius1998 said:

Can't really agree with Croatia being worse than in 2018. Even back then, they played at a similar level to whoever their opponents were. All their knockout stage matches went to ET/pens and then there was nothing left against France.

Croatia got to the final only because England's coward manager bottled it and was scared to finish off a team coming from two extra time matches.

Our play in 2018 was really poor from tactical standpoint.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Gunman, what you doing mate? :D Stop being so angry all the time

I'm not angry, I'm just calling out clueless people.

I literally said what was going to happen in the match, people talked about a fading team and look who was right?

Well known baiters who contribute nothing useful as far as football knowledge is concerned.

I'm done with this topic.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Where have I even said Croatia played badly? :D 

Just said that the UK coverage of Canada is embarrassing, they are talking about them as if they've never played football before.  Just a basic lack of research from our so-called pundits.  And since Croatia aren't as strong as they were four years ago, on another night they could have got a result tonight. 

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm not angry, I'm just calling out clueless people.

I literally said what was going to happen in the match, people talked about a fading team and look who was right?

Well known baiters who contribute nothing useful as far as football knowledge is concerned.

I'm done with this topic.

You've literally not shut up and gone a bit weird because someone flippantly called Croatia a 'fading team'. It weren't that big of a deal. Your country just won at the WC, enjoy yourself

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Where have I even said Croatia played badly? :D 

You said Croatia is a fading team, while being the guy who follows NT football more than any of us here.

Croatia's performances and younger players replacing the veterans during nations league was the best we've played in a lot of years and we played against great teams. Sure, it's only nations league, but if you look at the lineups and intensity of those matches, it was way better than WC or Euro performances.

Then you go in with the fading team narrative, as if Croatia's game against Morocco was horrible. It was a cowardly approach with lack of chances and goals, but defensively solid. Way more solid than England-USA match you tried to sell as a part of Southgate's masterplan. Completely subjective.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

someone

Not someone, but the man who's trying to sell Southgate being a mastermind against USA to all of us.

I didn't reply to Haguey's baits etc.

Edited by GunmaN1905

• Administrators
Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Then you go in with the fading team narrative, as if Croatia's game against Morocco was horrible. It was a cowardly approach with lack of chances and goals, but defensively solid. Way more solid than England-USA match you tried to sell as a part of Southgate's masterplan. Completely subjective.

Just a certain irony in having a go like

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Whatever, enjoy your hype until first serious opponent.

while trying to say Croatia are also loads better at the same time.  :D 

Have some perspective, Croatia yet to have a serious test yet either.

FWIW, I think England might still have issues in the R16, never mind QFs against a likely France.