{FM24} Union Berlin: Developing Football within a City

Matty Aqua

First and foremost, what a book! I read it this summer and thought long and hard about starting a Union Berlin save.

Have a document full of quotes which I thought I could pull for the save to add useful context about the club...happy to share. 

Keen to see how the tactic plays out, are you instructing those wing-backs to deliver their crossed at anywhere specific? Have seen to find within my save that adding this as a PI makes a real difference.

Will this save take centre stage now? 

On 27/11/2022 at 19:58, Deisler26 said:

Good luck with this! I had a fabulous career on 22 with Viktoria Berlin and I hope yours is as good!

Thanks, I did read it you did about 14 seasons with Viktoria Berlin, will be trying to take care of clubs in Berlin in this save - I just scheduled an away friendly against them to help their finances

On 27/11/2022 at 21:34, Oppiiz said:

What some great opening posts! Really looking forward to see how it goes! 
After reading I had to search Union up on YouTube. Totally understand why you went with them now! 

Thank you kindly, more to come! - Incredible club on and off the field!

Edited by Matty Aqua

Really enjoyed the write up! Great depth and looking forward to more 

love the club. Their stadium is fantastic in the forest. It’s gave me one of the best football experiences ever. Being from Edinburgh we don’t get treated anywhere near as good as football fans do in Germany. 

me and my wife visited Berlin when they were still 2.bundesliga and watched a game against Bochum. Free travel to the game the journey through the woods to the group was magical and the atmosphere was incredible at the game. Throw in some German pints and it was the best place I’ve been to for a game. Hands down beats anywhere else I’ve visited for games.  

Edited by SixPointer

That clip is pretty indicative of how Union Berlin play irl lol. 

What I like about your tactic, Matt is that it has pretty minimal instructions throughout the tactic. Like the training setup (especially for Low Block training)  you created for pre-season as well.

In a Union Berlin save I did recently, I had the Haberer role more of a MEZ-S or CM-A bc of his support of the strikers in the final third &  late runs to the box. But i'll try the regular CM-S role since he & either Thorsby or Schafer are  the swarming central mid pair. 

A great write up, a long but enjoyable scene-setter, and passion that really comes through. A perfect fit for Union Berlin and a club that does deserve the attention you're giving them after their wonderful progression in recent years. Agree on what is said above, no better way to start than with a spicy inter-city derby!

On 03/12/2022 at 04:59, Vico Vito Pep said:

That clip is pretty indicative of how Union Berlin play irl lol. 

What I like about your tactic, Matt is that it has pretty minimal instructions throughout the tactic. Like the training setup (especially for Low Block training)  you created for pre-season as well.

In a Union Berlin save I did recently, I had the Haberer role more of a MEZ-S or CM-A bc of his support of the strikers in the final third &  late runs to the box. But i'll try the regular CM-S role since he & either Thorsby or Schafer are  the swarming central mid pair. 

@Vico Vito Pep Thanks!, the tactic is mostly focused on defensive shape, there's not a need for a lot of instructions - I recently actually made a change to the tactic and wanted to see more attacking threat from the midfielders, so I changed the CM to CM-Att for more attacking threat!, so maybe you were onto a good thing all along!.

On 03/12/2022 at 14:54, SixPointer said:

Berliner derby to kick things off! Love it!! I love derbies, football rivalries especially from the same city are something very special! 

@SixPointerthanks for reading as always!, I have a write up coming up next on the Derby!.

5 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

A great write up, a long but enjoyable scene-setter, and passion that really comes through. A perfect fit for Union Berlin and a club that does deserve the attention you're giving them after their wonderful progression in recent years. Agree on what is said above, no better way to start than with a spicy inter-city derby!

@Jogo Bonito maybe a bit long, but I wanted readers to understand the club for what it is!, and once you understand Union Berlin you cannot help but be passionate and give the ultimate attention to detail! - thanks for reading and bring on the Derby!.

1507148938_UnionBerlinLogo.png.f26474fc30107f5f6c99fcd0307970d9.png

'THE HISTORY OF THE BERLINER DERBY'

Perhaps the biggest match on our calendar is the Berliner Derby, which is when I will be making my official Bundesliga managerial debut, so it feels necessary to dive deeper into the origins of the Berliner Derby.

I think it's important to give some context to the derby as there is just so much history within Berlin to go alongside the Football Manager aspect of this thread, so I hope you enjoy the history lesson and can learn a little more about football in Berlin, as in Berlin, politics is inextricably linked to football.

The city of Berlin was the epicentre of not only one of the most venomous fascist uprisings in human history, but also the symbolic political division of West versus East, 'America versus the Soviet Union' or, 'capitalism versus communism'. The political history of Berlin has shaped the football culture of its people too. It’s evidenced in the vastly differing Hertha Berlin from the west, and Union Berlin from the east.

1652689705_BerlinWallOldSchool.png.ed8b0cd5cd2a04d65a744a47d4f031df.png  1040729297_Unionfans.png.e35fba122e489c387288cff5f6f898f3.png

During the Second World War, Hertha Berlin was the club endorsed by the Nazi party. The 74,000-seater Olympiastadion was built by Hitler’s chief architect Albert Speer in 1936, and the club’s president in the pre-war era was Hans Pfeifer who was a member of the Nazi party installed by Hitler to maintain ideology. Before the reunification of the East and West in 1989, Union and Hertha were effectively located in different countries, Hertha Berlin from West Germany and Union Berlin from East Germany, they were divided into East and West Germany by the Berlin Wall. The Berlin Wall ran through the heart of the city, splitting communities, families, friends and, of course, football clubs. The Berliner Derby doesn't just include Hertha Berlin, it also includes BFC Dynamo an East German football club who are currently playing in the fourth tier of German football.

The rivalry between BFC Dynamo and Union Berlin began in the mid-1960s and intensified in the 1970s as players of Union Berlin would often insult BFC Dynamo players with slurs such as "Stasi-pigs", the Stasi was the Ministry of state security also known as the 'Stasi secret police'. The Stasi was a highly effective secret police organization within East Germany and it sought to infiltrate every institution of society and every aspect of the daily life of people in East Germany, including intimate, personal and familial relationships. The "Stasi" is short for the term Ministerium für Staatsicherheit and was one of the most hated and feared institutions of the East German communist government. Erich Mielke was the Head of State Security (The Stasi secret police) and also the president of BFC Dynamo. Between 1979 and 1988, the East German juggernauts BFC Dynamo won 10 straight league titles and twice reached the European Cup last eight, BFC Dynamo were the Bayern Munich of the East. 

1925402221_BFCDynamoplayers.png.7775512a312bc00bca38e9fd2c399a8d.png

CoatofArms.png.3d2fbea18dff2bbaa87b917d89ffb806.png

During the 1970s, the best team in East Germany was Dynamo Dresden, who had won five Oberliga titles, so Erich Mielke forced their players to move to the capital and turned BFC Dynamo into an overnight success. Players weren’t transferred between teams in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) but delegated. You could leave your club at any time, but you’d need permission from the GDR to sign for a new one. BFC Dynamo always got the best players and if you were too good to play against them, you joined them, It was that simple.

If a successful team hoovering up all the top talent from their rivals sounds familiar, it was small fry compared with BFC Dynamo's other alleged infringements. BFC Dynamo played all of their games at the same ground, it didn’t matter what the fixture list said – home or away, they played at Stadion der Weltjugend. Other teams would have to travel to Rostock, Magdeburg, and Dresden but everyone had to play at BFC’s ground of choice twice. And if they weren’t winning, the games were extended and referees were ordered to keep adding time on until BFC Dynamo scored.

For a long time, Hertha Berlin and Union Berlin were not always fierce rivals, they were considered "friends behind barbed wire" as a lot of people on both sides longed for a united Germany while the Berlin Wall was standing and even used to show great support to one another on match days. Some Union fans even listened to Hertha’s matches on transistor radios and celebrated whenever a goal went in and there is still a fan friendship group called 'Hertha Union Fruende', as traditionally Union Berlin's rival is the other Eastern Berlin club BFC Dynamo.

On 27 January 1990, just 79 days after the wall fell, Hertha played Union for the first time. It was only a friendly, at the Olympiastadion, but there was no hatred, no violence, no cross-town abuse. Instead, fans congregated communally, symbolically paying their entrance fees in different currencies, and singing songs of a reunified city. This was the start of a divided city uniting. Union Berlin and Hertha Berlin didn't actually play a competitive match against each other until the 2010/11 season after Hertha Berlin got relegated to the 2.Bundesliga, Union Berlin fans sang songs mocking the Hertha's relegation but they managed to get promoted that season. Sparking small signs of rivalry Hertha would again be relegated in the 2012/13 season which meant two more derby days!. If Berliners could point to a day when the friendship was destroyed forever, it might be September 3, 2012. That marked the third competitive clash between the teams. An early-season showdown at a full Försterei and the day Union Berlin midfielder Christopher Quiring decided to get personal. The winger notched Union Berlin's consolation goal in a 2-1 loss, and he then gave an explosive interview after the game.

474710518_ChristopherQuiring.png.58c1855275660cc3702533cb22b8dd78.png

“They cheer in our stadium,” he spat at TV cameras post-defeat. “That makes me puke! I don’t give a s**t about my goal. When the Wessis cheer in our stadium, I get sick.”

Christopher Quiring was born after the wall came down in a unified Berlin, so it was a change in the way the younger generation was starting to see the derby between the two clubs, no longer with the same global political view of we are fighting the same enemy but a politically football focused view of, you are from the West and we are from the East, and we are different!. He was also talking about ‘Wessis’ which is a semi-derogatory term for those who hail from West Germany and are deemed a step too far.

As with everything in Berlin, the football culture is rapidly changing. Hertha and Union are the two big teams nowadays in the Bundesliga, but the clubs around them are consistently emerging. The number of teams founded by ethnic minorities is exceptional, there are Turkish clubs, Türkiyemspor Berlin and AK Berliner 07, a Jewish club, TuS Makkabi Berlin, a Polish club, FC Polonia Berlin, and a Croatian club, SD Croatia Berlin. Although some of these were founded nearly a hundred years ago, they add to the new face of Berlin, defined by the cohesive diverse ethnicities of a once-broken city. 

The football culture in Berlin is like no other city in the world, seemingly divided and united at the same time, where there are things more important than red versus blue it’s not everywhere that the games of a cross-city rivalry can be counted on one hand, but this is the uniqueness of Berlin.

No city has been torn apart more than Berlin in the 20th century.

CoatofArms.png.3d2fbea18dff2bbaa87b917d89ffb806.png                     

Edited by Matty Aqua

21 hours ago, Matty Aqua said:

1507148938_UnionBerlinLogo.png.f26474fc30107f5f6c99fcd0307970d9.png

'THE HISTORY OF THE BERLINER DERBY'

Perhaps the biggest match on our calendar is the Berliner Derby, which is when I will be making my official Bundesliga managerial debut, so it feels necessary to dive deeper into the origins of the Berliner Derby.

I think it's important to give some context to the derby as there is just so much history within Berlin to go alongside the Football Manager aspect of this thread, so I hope you enjoy the history lesson and can learn a little more about football in Berlin, as in Berlin, politics is inextricably linked to football.

---

The city of Berlin was the epicentre of not only one of the most venomous fascist uprisings in human history, but also the symbolic political division of West versus East, 'America versus the Soviet Union' or, 'capitalism versus communism'. The political history of Berlin has shaped the football culture of its people too. It’s evidenced in the vastly differing Hertha Berlin from the west, and Union Berlin from the east.

1652689705_BerlinWallOldSchool.png.ed8b0cd5cd2a04d65a744a47d4f031df.png  1040729297_Unionfans.png.e35fba122e489c387288cff5f6f898f3.png

During the Second World War, Hertha Berlin was the club endorsed by the Nazi party. The 74,000-seater Olympiastadion was built by Hitler’s chief architect Albert Speer in 1936, and the club’s president in the pre-war era was Hans Pfeifer who was a member of the Nazi party installed by Hitler to maintain ideology. Before the reunification of the East and West in 1989, Union and Hertha were effectively located in different countries, Hertha Berlin from West Germany and Union Berlin from East Germany, they were divided into East and West Germany by the Berlin Wall. The Berlin Wall ran through the heart of the city, splitting communities, families, friends and, of course football clubs. The Berliner Derby doesn't just include Hertha Berlin, it also includes BFC Dynamo an east German football club who are currently playing in the fourth tier of German football.

The rivalry between BFC Dynamo and Union Berlin began in the mid-1960's and intensified in the 1970's as players of Union Berlin would often insult BFC Dynamo players with slurs such as "Stasi-pigs", the Stasi was the Ministry of state security also known as the 'Stasi secret police'. The Stasi was a highly effective secret police organization within East Germany and it sought to infiltrate every institution of society and every aspect of daily life of people in East Germany, even including intimate, personal and familial relationships. The "Stasi" is short for the term Ministerium für Staatsicherheit and was one of the most hated and feared institutions of the East German communist government. Erich Mielke was the Head of State Security (The Stasi secret police) and also the president of BFC Dynamo. Between 1979 and 1988, the East German juggernauts BFC Dynamo won 10 straight league titles and twice reached the European Cup last eight, BFC Dynamo were the Bayern Munich of the East. 

1925402221_BFCDynamoplayers.png.7775512a312bc00bca38e9fd2c399a8d.png

During the 1970s, the best team in East Germany was Dynamo Dresden, who had won five Oberliga titles, so Erich Mielke forced their players to move to the capital and turned BFC Dynamo into an overnight success. Players weren’t transferred between teams in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), but delegated. You could leave your club at any time, but you’d need permission from the GDR to sign for a new one. BFC Dynamo always got the best players and if you were too good to play against them, you joined them, It was that simple. If a successful team hoovering up all the top talent from their rivals sounds familiar, it was small fry compared with BFC Dynamo's other alleged infringements were. BFC Dynamo played all of their games at the same ground, it didn’t matter what the fixture list said – home or away, they played at Stadion der Weltjugend. Other teams would have to travel to Rostock, Magdeburg, Dresden but everyone had to play at BFC’s ground of choice twice. And if they weren’t winning, the games were extended and referees were ordered to keep adding time on until BFC Dynamo scored.

For a long time, Hertha Berlin and Union Berlin were not always fierce rivals, they were considered "friends behind barbed wire" as a lot of people on both sides longed for a united Germany while the Berlin Wall was standing and even used to show great support to one another on match days. Some Union fans even listened to Hertha’s matches on transistor radios and celebrated whenever a goal went in and there is still a fan friendship group called 'Hertha Union Fruende', as traditionally Union Berlin's rival is the other Eastern Berlin club BFC Dynamo.

On 27 January 1990, just 79 days after the wall fell, Hertha played Union for the first time. It was only a friendly, at the Olympiastadion, but there was no hatred, no violence, no cross-town abuse. Instead, fans congregated communally, symbolically paying their entrance fees in different currencies, singing songs of a reunified city. This was the start of a divided city uniting. Union Berlin and Hertha Berlin didn't actually play a competitive match against each other until the 2010/11 season after Hertha Berlin got relegated to the 2.Bundesliga, Union Berlin fans sang songs mocking the Hertha's relegation but they managed to get promoted that season. Sparking small signs of rivalry Hertha would again be relegated in the 2012/13 season which meant two more derby days!. If Berliners could point to a day when the friendship was destroyed forever, it might be September 3, 2012. That marked the third competitive clash between the teams. An early-season showdown at a full Försterei and the day Union Berlin midfielder Christopher Quiring decided to get personal. The winger notched Union Berlin's consolation goal in a 2-1 loss, he then gave an explosive interview after the game.

474710518_ChristopherQuiring.png.58c1855275660cc3702533cb22b8dd78.png

“They cheer in our stadium,” he spat at TV cameras post-defeat. “That makes me puke! I don’t give a s**t about my goal. When the Wessis cheer in our stadium, I get sick.”

Christopher Quiring was born after the wall came down in a unified Berlin, so it was a change in the way the younger generation was starting to see the derby between the two clubs. He was talking about ‘Wessis’ which is a semi-derogatory term for those who hail from West Germany and deemed a step to far. As with everything in Berlin, the football culture is rapidly changing. Hertha and Union are the two big teams nowadays, but the clubs around them are consistently emerging. The number of teams founded by ethnic minorities is exceptional; there are Turkish clubs, Türkiyemspor Berlin and AK Berliner 07, a Jewish club, TuS Makkabi Berlin, a Polish club, FC Polonia Berlin, and a Croatian club, SD Croatia Berlin. Although some of these were founded nearly a hundred years ago, they add to the new face of Berlin, defined by cohesive diverse ethnicities of a once broken city. The football culture in Berlin is like no other city in the world, seemingly divided and united at the same time, where there are things more important than red versus blue. It’s not everywhere that the games of a cross-city rivalry can be counted on one hand, but this is the uniqueness of Berlin.

No city has been more torn apart than Berlin in the 20th century.

---

AUGUST 2022

657677300_UnionBerlinvsHerthaBerlin.png.92094ecdd0950f0fd4e17c6b46cdd4a1.png

An early pass at 7' by Khedira to Sheraldo Becker proved all the work in the system during pre season was paying off as we launched a counter attack early, however Becker was flagged offside and the fans of Union Berlin had to take a breather and calm down....So did I!.

But not for long!, as we continued to break up play scrap for set peaces, Sheraldo Becker leapt up above the pack like a salmon!, scoring a nice header off a corner routine!.

But the elation wasn't for long with Hertha equalizing a few minutes later with a GK mishap we went into half-time 1-1, frustrating!

We broke almost even on possession at half time, so I decided to drop the mentality from Cautios down to Defensive to focus less on retaining the ball and more on shape and quick attacks, until Niko Gießelmann got a red card early in the 2nd half which through all my tactical plans into disarray.

The intensity of the derby was obviously making an impact as Morten Thorsby got show a red card 66' leaving us to 9 men!, followed by an unbelievable 3rd red card of the game this time to Hertha Berlin as Suat Surder takes an early shower, Feisty game indeed!.

But wait there's more to this crazy opening match, as Hertha in all sorts of unorganised defensive chaos play a long goal kick, Diogo Leite heads it on and András Schäfer quickly flicks it onto none other than Sheraldo Becker - who bangs home a wonderful goal! giving us the 2-1 win!

We won the match!, and I am happy with the victory!, naturally momentum charts and XG charts will sway against us in most cases, as we don't focus on possession or retaining control of the ball.

1039558220_HerthaBerlinresult.thumb.png.a0e2ba1ba82b6aab084667fc7bf32060.png

We won the match!, and I am happy with the victory!, naturally momentum charts and XG charts will sway against us in most cases, as we don't focus on possession or retaining control of the ball.

After doing some post match analysis, I thought the defensive line was a little high and possibly could sit deeper at times considering I am playing on cautious or defensive mentality at times, but the image on the right shows promising signs we are winning tackles in wider areas and keeping the area in front of our box clear from play making threats.

AVERAGE POSITION WITHOUT THE BALL vs TACKLES WON

963229966_vsHertha-Averagepositionwithouttheball.png.b6fe9de3cf96a36cc4c47db336495365.png  875132434_vsHertha-Tackleswon.png.69b7b2f31c76efdccff5e8ef74cb7b7b.png

Thanks for reading, I feel as though I have given a good amount of background information into the club and can now start to focus more on the season and matches!

Matty, mate. Wow. What a sensational update. The way you’ve been able to combine the real life stories and history with the action in the game has made this a must read. 

I was so enveloped in the history section of this that I’d even forgotten there was a game to play and a congratulations on the result. 

On 09/12/2022 at 02:47, SixPointer said:

That Berliner posts is one of my favourites ever on the forum.

I love city Derby's and you’ve capitulated it perfect in your update!!

what a result as well and even more so what a bloody battle!

@SixPointerthanks that's a very big compliment!, I spent a bit of time reading up on it and took a bit of time to write a piece like that!.

On 09/12/2022 at 05:12, _Ben_ said:

This is sensational writing Matty! Loving every minute of it.

Cheers @_Ben_ , now to try and incorporate some stats into the save to make it all come together! Appreciate you reading

On 09/12/2022 at 06:29, FM Eire said:

Loving this. ❤ 

I think it's nearly everyone's dream to find a club through FM and develop a deep attachment to them. Sadly, I haven't found mine yet but it's great to hear people write about theirs! 

@FM EireI know what you mean, I've had my moments where I have felt a bit directionless with FM. I planned on this save for FM22 and never got around to it, so I had almost an extra 12 months of research into Berlin to make this all come together.

@MattyLewis11 I hope so! Imagine a team from Eastern Berlin, given all the context of what the city has been through becoming a Champions League winner?...the power of fantasy in Football Manager hey? haha

Seems readers have enjoyed some history incorporated into the writing, I'll punch out a few updates with the season kicking off now, but I'll try and add in some more fascinating and educational writing within the thread as I've enjoyed learning the history of the city too, and find writing about it cathartic!.

Appreciate all the thumbs up and responses! 

Edited by Matty Aqua

On 11/12/2022 at 20:48, MattyLewis11 said:

Plenty of games played, you had quite the baptism of fire. How reliant do you think you are on the goals of Becker? 

Enjoying the detail and seems like you are also buying into what looks like will be a good long term project. 

Given the tactic, I'm very reliant on Becker and Siebatcheu, tho a few role adjustments in the next update will add some more threat from others!

I'm fully invested!, I want this to be a long term save as there are objectives I want to achieve outside of Union Berlin, I would love to see other sides from Berlin start to rise up the ranks also!.

On 11/12/2022 at 21:37, Carambau said:

Fantastic read! Wishing you good luck for your career with die Eisernen  😀

Thank you kindly!.

Edited by Matty Aqua

JANUARY 2023

We came out of the World Cup break firing on all cylinders, picking up five wins on the bounce and progressing through in DFB-Pokal and we're still in the Europa League, Jordan Siebatheu found incredible form scoring 6 goals in 3 games and picking up a hayrick against Hoffenheim. I also made some transfers looking to sure up the defence for the future. Unfortunately the squad is just to big and some players will have to be moved on this window or in the summer transfer window.

TRANSFERS OUT

TRANSFERS IN

I feel pretty happy with the business we got done, Patric Pfeiffer was dominating the 2.bundesliga and Leandro Morgalla is an 18 year old Model Citizen from 1860 Munich and definitely one I will try to develop for the future, I did try and bid for Ronnie Edwards from Peterborough United but he joined Newcastle as they offered a larger transfer fee.

We currently sit 7th in the league but I suspect Bayern, Dortmund and Leipzig will have strong finishes to the season. Jordan Siebatcheu has picked up 6 Man of the Match awards already!.

That catches it up on the Project re-start, I'll hopefully be able to blog more consistently.

Edited by Matty Aqua

1 hour ago, Matty Aqua said:

---

DECEMBER 2022

The World Cup has been and gone, it came home finally to England and Harry Maguire was the key player...who knew!.

As league football starts to resume around the globe it's also that time of year, the January transfer window!, so I'll be writing about the details of january as they come up as I play through the save!.

1321144157_WorldCupfinal.png.e4b9639545bd012c25a390c5878c66d9.png

1259572533_WorldCupresult.png.8b46042a436df850ddf90c26b3669266.png 

---

JANUARY 2023

Typically Union Berlin don't spend outrages amounts of money, and the club still services a heavy debt so it's common for Union to sell and replace players. I have sent my scouts to collect data on leagues in Poland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Denmark and England which are usual territories Union look to explore, and new scout Eric Gerets is gaining knowledge of Croatia and Hungary which are also areas I will start exploring for young player with potential. The club currently has a few players on higher wages that I will look to move on through out the transfer window as they are not contributing enough to warrant a place in the squad anymore, bigger clubs have started to take notice to a few players within the squad, being the financial position we are in we may have no choice but to sell some key players to generate money and also cut down the debt.

380662144_UnionBerlinFinances.thumb.png.0fc501cb14d7fb63184dd154a996ed4c.png

1162963149_UnionBerlindebt.thumb.png.4614d02976d4545c2a96170ee7586080.png

Backup Goalkeeper Lennart Grill on loan from Bayer Leverkusen on decent wages €15,250 per week which is a lot to sit on the bench. There's no termination option in his contract although he could develop into a decent keeper in the future should Frederik Rønnow decide to not sign a new contract or request a transfer.

507926975_FredreckRonnow.png.df20f9ba25a767bf03fa6f7cc8082e37.png   1145938639_LennartGrill.png.3eba1d2426c1051517f696b61597e1bb.png

241291622_RonnowvsGrill.thumb.png.372dc65bdf6615a43c5b9678f47ac4cd.png

---

1002390245_vsDortmundresult.png.1618801d146b96d8277f6d126d8a8f15.png

We managed to catch Dortmund off guard early but Jordan Siebatcheu couldn't capitalise on two early chances, and although we managed 13 shots to vs Dortmund's 14 we didn't really get many opportunities on target.

The Pass map above reflects how we got caught in Dortmund's press often and created little.

---

As mentioned above, the financial side of Union Berlin is something that needs to be monitored as the club carries a lot of debt which also makes us a selling club, Paul Jaeckel was a player I wanted to keep, he initially wanted a new contract but wanted over €30,000 per week which was far to much for someone who hadn't locked down a spot in the starting 11, he decided he wanted a transfer once contract negotiations broke down and our financial situation leaves us with little transfer budget as the board only initially gave me €549,000 to spend and no room in the wage budget.

1788465478_TransferBudget.png.92b372ee2aebd0b90b9e98d85fa20d3a.png

Arsenal we're sniffing around but it was rivals RB Leipzig who came forward with an offer €6.25M which was an offer I accepted as his contract expires in 2024, the board added €3.2M of the sale to the transfer budget.

2115811127_PaulJaeckeldeal.thumb.png.58319512f4ffb0207748757f38185e5a.png

Kevin Möhwald also joined San Jose Earthquakes for €600k as there was no real future for him at Union Berlin, with two quick sales done at the beginning of the window I had a bit of financial wiggle room to maybe get some deals done. There are areas of the squad that need some attention particularly Left back, Right Back, and Defensive Midfielder as there is a lack of youth coming through in those positions.

2100257099_KevinMohwalddeal.thumb.png.0641f53aef128e6c5a60fd25b7dead34.png

---

1745813762_Pfeifferdeal.thumb.png.851a9ec62f827991d2dd8ab8fa13edd5.png

Having progressed a few days it was time to make the first signing for Union Berlin, I had been tracking Patric Pfeiffer all season so far and he was the best candidate financially available.

€1.8M potentially rising to €3.2M I felt was a good deal and fits the tactic nicely

• Great height for a CB - 6'5
  • Determined - 17
  • Consistent Performer
  • Enjoys Big Matches
  • Has decent passing, vision, and dribbling for a Center Back
  • Very Strong Left and Right foot!

1610623302_PatricPfeiffer.thumb.png.36fa0f1e9e3857d96aae700f38013f63.png

---

997287083_vsHoffenheim.png.d653f52b8b6f6b26688d519c7a0b1534.png

A match we needed to win, rarely do we win the possession battle, XG and shots on target, and despite conceding two goals we controlled the momentum of the game.

Interestingly we seem to concede almost directly after we score, and this has happened in multiple games I've noticed. A good 3 points after the Dortmund loss!.

• Jordan Siebatcheu picks up another MOTM 
    • Average Rating 9.0 
    • 1 Goal and 1 Assist
    • 13.7km covered
    • 76% Aerial battles won (13 attempts)

---

1714911034_vsWBresult.thumb.png.2dd45523ecc7a18cdce410ac00068b91.png

Continuing the good form with a classic Union Berlin victory away from home, despite conceding (again, directly after we score!) it as one of the best performances tactically we have given.

Conceding 60% possession and scoring two goals with an XG of 0.76, Sven Michel scored his first Bundesliga goal for the season and Sheraldo Becker scored his 11th and is still leading the goal scoring in the Bundesliga in scoring.

Six points from two games shoots us right up the table!.

---

690204320_vsHB2result.png.49e3d798dcce476ed21df57f083d6b12.png

Derby Day!, I wrote extensively on the history of the Berlin Derby in earlier post.

A good performance but again scoring and then conceding leaves us coming out of the Olmpiastadion with a draw, and potentially three points dropped here.

Timo Baumgartl scored a header of a corner, which is something I am tinkering with as we haven't taken advantage of set piece situations this season.

---

Genki Haraguchi deal.png

Unfortunately I had to make the tough cal to sell Genki Haraguchi, the Japanese International has made quite an impact since arriving in Union Berlin becoming a fan favorite, he was in the final year of his contract and only managed 5 games this season. I accepted the offer as I wasn't planning on re-signing him. Looking ahead to the future I still had some funds left over from the Paul Jaeckel sale and there is currently no real prospect in the defensive mid role as Rani Khedira is 29 and Paul Seguin is 27 and wanted a massive contract to re-sign. I've been scouting the Championship and League One in England for some potential players, as it seems a realistic pathway for young English players caught between - not being good enough for the Premier League, but to good to be left developing in the lower divisions, and came across Peterborough's Ronnie Edwards.

Listed as a Center Back but capable of playing in the Defensive Midfield role, he was a bit short at 5'11 to be a Center Back but already has 15 composure, I think he could develop nicely into a DM and worth the €2.8M investment, he will be mentored by Morten Thorsby.

95796669_RonnieEdwardstransfer.thumb.png.bc4a79b65fc7f631ce7e665dcd433874.png

1633159346_RonnieEdwards2.thumb.png.8ed71f6ea57a9230c9295db78c5e0318.png

---

DEADLINE DAY DEAL

A rather quiet deadline day for Union Berlin but managed to get one final deal over the line signing released Manchester United Center Back Axel Tuanzebe on a free.

With Timo Buamgartl and Diogo Leite on loan I opted to have some security at the CB position going into next season as there release clauses are unlikely to be met due to limited finances.

At 25 years old, I'm giving Axel Tuanzebe a lifeline after a rather injury ravaged career, and could be sold for a good profit in the future.

932793135_AxelTuanzebedeal.thumb.png.f37307133ecc55e5fa75ce9770e69a57.png

1461348315_AxelTuanzebe2.thumb.png.57f0ddcdbbc9f2ac3839efc48061ffb1.png

---

PLAYERS OUT

732229048_PaulJaeckelRBLeipzig.png.b4506efd51b21c076a46cddee4c542b5.png  709592951_KevinMohwald.png.7c0d33a02a96a6c394162d3e7f2d7bad.png  Haraguchi.png.39f02088c2495fcd1697fcd340123907.png

PLAYERS IN

878825127_PatrickPfeiffer.png.e821dfab509e938147ba925f7486f229.png  1451222739_RonnieEdwards.png.09e5be15e79830994807d7402a1d549d.png  1936472369_AxelTuanzebe.png.f944f8082caafa71924e809098f01bf7.png

---

That concludes January, three players out and three players in!, a decent first window in my opinion, topping it off with 35 year old club captain signing on for another year!.

1017262687_Trimmellnewcontract.thumb.png.e09ff7ca20ea6a000872dc29fed738a8.png

Looking forward to getting the players settled in and hitting the back half of the season!.

Next update will be the February/March period, as we prepare for the run into the end of the season!

Thanks for reading!.

I snapped up pfeiffer on a free for Sv Ried second season and he looks a great bit of business. Ronnie edwards as well is someone I see popping up all over the forums.

Have you any ideas why you concede right after scoring? They do say it’s the weakest moment and highest chance to concede. But so regularly I wonder if you could do something tactically and set up a match plan for it. 

@SixPointerPatric Pfeiffer has been a good signing, I scouted him extensively. Ronnie Edwards is kinda new to my knowledge as I haven't done a Peterborough save since FM20!, his development will be key!.

I honestly have no idea!, I think it may be a factor with Team Cohesion not being very strong. I will try and come up with a solution!

52 minutes ago, Matty Aqua said:

@SixPointerPatric Pfeiffer has been a good signing, I scouted him extensively. Ronnie Edwards is kinda new to my knowledge as I haven't done a Peterborough save since FM20!, his development will be key!.

I honestly have no idea!, I think it may be a factor with Team Cohesion not being very strong. I will try and come up with a solution!

Intrigued to see what you come up with. I always find it useful watching back goals conceded. Without the emotion of the match in real time i tend to notice more. Sometimes I switch it to 2d as well to look at positioning and patterns 

34 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Intrigued to see what you come up with. I always find it useful watching back goals conceded. Without the emotion of the match in real time i tend to notice more. Sometimes I switch it to 2d as well to look at positioning and patterns 

Not bad ideas there mate!

On 25/12/2022 at 12:12, Matty Aqua said:

Not a lot to write about to be honest as the Youth Intake was below average. which sums up the current state of youth football in Berlin and also a bit of 'meh' in terms of results over the last two months.

I'm still really enjoying the save tho and looking towards the off season to move on some players and bring in some new players!

Thanks for reading!, here's to a strong end to season one!.

...Eisern Berlin!

Through the natural ups and downs of the season, you keep your posts informative and great to read. I know you’ll come back stronger. Keep it up Matty!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Matty Aqua said:

Apologies for lack of updates, I've hit a bug in the save and it wont progress past a certain date so i have to go back and replay fixtures from before the World Cup!

Nightmare Matty. Takes a lot of energy to do this when it happens so much respect. I’ve seen me throw saves away when it does it. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Nightmare Matty. Takes a lot of energy to do this when it happens so much respect. I’ve seen me throw saves away when it does it. 

Very annoying, thankfully I had a back up save from just before the transfer window, so I'll have to re-write some updates!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Matty Aqua changed the title to {FM24} Union Berlin: Developing Football within a City