Match 20: England vs USA - ITV1 7PM GMT live from the Al Bayt Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, av3ry said:

Also found out my father would have loved Sam Allardyce as manager. "GET IT FORWARD" "STOP PASSING AROUND THE BACK, LOB IT FORWARD FFS! :mad:"

"Hit Dioufy with an Angel Pass," I used to roar at my defenders at Blackburn. "Scorch the sky with your delivery, son." Proper football. :cool:

Just now, Haguey said:

Eh? Southgate was at Boro for 3 years, they went down in 2009 and made the UEFA final in 2006., stop making things up.

I may be misrememering but I know he took a mid-table team and completely failed to replace the key players so they were a shadow of themselves by the time they went down.

3 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I may be misrememering but I know he took a mid-table team and completely failed to replace the key players so they were a shadow of themselves by the time they went down.

12th, 13th and 19th, iirc. Also broke the club record fee for Afonso Alves so...

Edited by Darius1998

• Administrators
Just now, Chase Failey said:

Starting to think he backed him anytime goalscorer 

Maybe. Well I thought Gary was going to Qatar to highlight the issues. I’ve heard him say nothing on that front either. 
Bit of a two faced fraud in my book. 

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You guys :D  Never change.

A nothing group game where a point suits both teams. Don’t overthink it. USA had one shot on target ffs.

Earlier I said the Netherlands would take a point today because they have an easy final game. We do not have an easy final game, it can easily go wrong against a fired up Wales who have nothing to lose.

We should make the knockouts, unless we miraculously lose 4-0, which we have done this year. I would have rather played Ecuador/Senegal rather than Holland because I think Holland beats us but nevermind.
If we are runners-up, it will be a Saturday 3pm game and all EFL clubs would be justified in moving their games to next Friday night.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

He finished 12th & 13th in his first two seasons, but yeah didn't pull up any trees that would be worthy of getting the England gig

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Thing is, I don't think people are asking for much here. Would it have killed him to make 3 dynamic subs early? Game clearly crying out for a gamebreaker and we've got one of the best young ones in the world in Foden 

If we'd have changed at half time and given it a go but then gone a bit more cautious with 15 minutes left if have understood, but we never looked like we wanted to win the game 

7 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

And Bellingham, Saka and both full backs.

Bellingham, Saka, Sterling and Mount all played like they were just waiting for stuff to happen.

All of them plus Kane. Good ol' Harry somehow always escapes criticism. He was even more invisible tonight than usual. I know it was all Southgate's fault and because of his setup but for such (allegedly) world class striker, you would expect... Something. Anything.

1 minute ago, av3ry said:

Earlier I said the Netherlands would take a point today because they have an easy final game. We do not have an easy final game, it can easily go wrong against a fired up Wales who have nothing to lose.

If England repeat tonight's performance they'll beat Wales 4-0. Wales are a poor team

1 minute ago, av3ry said:

We should make the knockouts, unless we miraculously lose 4-0, which we have done this year. I would have rather played Ecuador/Senegal rather than Holland because I think Holland beats us but nevermind.
If we are runners-up, it will be a Saturday 3pm game and all EFL clubs would be justified in moving their games to next Friday night.

Netherlands looked pretty bloody dreadful tonight tbf

Southgate has done well but we really need an attacking minded manager after the World Cup. With our attackers we should be going out to out-score the opposition rather than play defensive with our ropey defence.

All game we had full backs wide and wingers narrow. Made absolutely no sense against USA’s narrow 433. I don’t really think subs were ever going to change anything. We just don’t have the nous to change things tactically against sides we’re struggling against.

We were slightly better in the second half and we clearly changed something. Didn’t get it right offensively though.

Just now, Pukey said:

If we'd have changed at half time and given it a go but then gone a bit more cautious with 15 minutes left if have understood, but we never looked like we wanted to win the game 

Exactly. Now rather than winning the game and guaranteeing top, meaning you can rest the more key players, everyone has to go again against a Wales side who will be do or die now, a **** Wales, but still do or die, with us having to play for something instead of being home and hosed. 

Gareth has basically said in interviews before that in his eyes tournament football is first and foremost about not losing.

I don't wholly disagree with his dourly pragmatic approach but he does stick to it *so* rigidly.  We were crying out for changes either at half time or at the very least on around 55 minutes when it was evident whatever tweaks and what was said at half time, hadn't changed the game (if anything USA were even more on top).

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Absolutely. Should have gone out and buried qualification, and rotated Vs Wales 

This all over. It was the US - they aren't very good. They just drew against a Wales side who lost to IRAN!

Didn't take much - go out with an attacking plan, strut your stuff, get a cushion and then start resting players. We played with zero intent to win from the off and I refuse to believe that it is some sort of 4D Chess energy preservation genius from Southgate. It was wimpy, lethargic turd-on-a-stick.

6 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Pretty sure we will be 3pm Saturday if we finish 1st, and 7pm Friday if 2nd.

**EDIT** I was wrong.

Edited by Anthrax Dave

6 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

what's interesting is southgates negativity is engrained into the players. you can see it in the interviews.

there's just a depressing fear about how we play. we don't want to lose. and that not wanting to lose is what will make sure we eventually lose.

Indeed!