You've seen them all, once

Coulthard's Jaw

Hate these threads at tournaments :D

It's impossible really because some teams have played utter rubbish opposition like Spain and looked great. You'd just say Spain, France and England as the best based on these games, but then you look at the teams they've played and have to factor it in.

Portugal looked like they had another gear to go to earlier. So did Brazil just now.

I wouldn't change from Argentina to win despite their loss because I think they'll figure it out. England are in a nice groove and you can tell they've all played together loads in competitive games, and seem to have developed an ability to turn it on during competitions. I think they'll give France a closer game than I anticipated originally.

Portugal if they dropped Ronaldo would be strong. Brazil if they dropped neymar would be strong. England unfortunately looking strong.

Qatar obviously look horrendous, as do Costa Rica I think it was. Ghana are gonna get torn apart against a better team.

Wales way more lacklustre than expected, though that was due to getting the tactics exactly wrong.

Who's been the best: france

Who's been the worst: Costa rica

Biggest surprise: Saudi Arabia

Biggest disappointment: Belgium and every team that drew 0-0

Who's going to win? No idea

Oh and for the record I've haven't seen them all once. Had zero interest in Monday's first game

Edited by Mickybricks14

Who's been the best?
Brazil

Who's been the worst?
Costa Rica

Biggest surprise?
Saudi Arabia

Biggest disappointment?
Argentina and Germany (Germany more disappointing than Argentina)

Edited by PMLF

Who's been the best?
Best four have been England, France, Spain, Brazil, although Spain is purely judged on their result as I didn't see their game.

Who's been the worst?
Costa Rica I suppose, although from what I seen, Iran were a mess at the back and got incredibly lucky with their second goal.

Biggest surprise?
Saudi beating Argentina

Biggest disappointment?
Germany. I thought people were underestimating them, turns out they were all right as they could be gone by Sunday.

Who's going to win?
Pre-tournament, I said Argentina, but they have massive pressure game against Mexico now. I now think it will be one of the four (England, Brazil, France, Spain) Argentina and Portugal outsiders.

Who's been the best?
Kind of hard to say. Brazil and Argentina definitely looked great, but their defenses are suspect and haven't been tested.

Who's been the worst?
Iran, Costa Rica

Biggest surprise?
Saudi Arabia

Biggest disappointment?
Germany, not because they lost, but I'd expect Flick to sort the defense by now and they looked shambolic

Who's going to win?
Too early to say, many winners had poor opening matches

Who's been the best?

Spain and England were very clinical, despite playing against weaker teams. France and Brazil took a while to get going but look strong too.

Who's been the worst?

Canada the worst finishers, Iran the worst defensively, Qatar the worst all-round.

Biggest surprise?

Saudi Arabia beating Argentina. Duh.

Biggest disappointment?

Germany. Defence is a shambles, Gnabry is too greedy, and I have serious doubts about Kimmich as a playmaker. They could well be gone by Sunday.

Who's going to win?

I said Argentina at the start; I'm still saying Argentina now. They're not in the toughest group and should warm up in their next two games (against Mexico and Poland). I still believe that Messi and Lautaro can tear defences apart if they can stay onside.

I'll just give thoughts because I've only seen the evening games in full apart from Monday.

France looked really good. Maybe some defensive lapse sees them losing but I can't see anyone taking them apart, they are physically strong all over and have Mbappe up front.

Southgate will go to a back 5 any time we play a side considered equal/close/better and the Iran game is of little insight however enjoyable I found it.

Germany still had a lot of chances against Japan and on the radio it sounded like Japan only got their act together late on - I wouldn't write them off yet.

Canada and USA basically played the same game, look good in general but fade quite badly in the second half. Belgium need some pace up front, maybe De Bruyne actually playing well would make them look better. Instead you have Hazard who can turn and shift his body but can't run anymore and Batshuayi just standing next to the defenders.

Argentina's first half was actually quite good. The offsides were narrow, particular the Martinez one iirc. Another day that counts, they're 2-0 up, and absolutely cruise to a win. Saudi Arabia scored with basically their only 2 attacks and from there defended like absolute demons. Was poor from Argentina in the second half, they seem a bit shell shocked, but I'd be amazed if they don't make it through to the latter stages.

France, England, and Spain looked very competent albeit against incredibly weak looking opposition. Didn't watch enough of Brazil to comment but they'll be in the latter stages too you'd have thought.

My biggest disappointment was Belgium, I know Canada aren't useless plodders but that was a really, really bad performance. There's no way they can play that badly against Spain/Gemany/Japan and get through.

Ranking of the teams I've been most impressed by

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. France

4. England

5. Germany

6. Argentina

7. Portugal

8. Netherlands

9. Belgium

I think both Germany and Argentina were unlucky in their matches. But Germany are likely to get knocked out on the next match already as they need a result against Spain.. If they survive they can still do something in this competition. The only concern I have is their wacky high line is a bit too much

Please note many matches I've only seen highlights

I can see any of the top 4, yes including England, winning the competition. Anyone else bit more dubious. But we'll wait and see, the first match can be very misleading from experience of previous tournaments. Luck of the draw will be huge too, for example the Netherlands look on paper with a potentially easy route if Argentina still top their group (possible) 

I put us ahead of the Netherlands because I think we have higher highs.. But I also think we are more vulnerable than them. Not quite sure what to make of that. Belgium I didn't like them at all but still did a professional job and still have a good squad.

Edited by noikeee

4 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Hate these threads at tournaments :D

It's impossible really because some teams have played utter rubbish opposition like Spain and looked great. You'd just say Spain, France and England as the best based on these games, but then you look at the teams they've played and have to factor it in.

Portugal looked like they had another gear to go to earlier. So did Brazil just now.

I wouldn't change from Argentina to win despite their loss because I think they'll figure it out. England are in a nice groove and you can tell they've all played together loads in competitive games, and seem to have developed an ability to turn it on during competitions. I think they'll give France a closer game than I anticipated originally.

Agree with hating these threads, but I'll do it anyway...

Who's been the best?
Brazil. England, France and Spain looked good too but factoring in opposition quality I'd go with Brazil. 

Who's been the worst?
Qatar. Would be easy to go with Costa Rica or Iran but they played decent sides. Qatar, especially their keeper, looked embarrassingly bad against a team that stopped trying at 2-0.

Biggest surprise?
Hmm. Tough one. Probably Saudi Arabia but even that I don't think they were that good. Decent for about 20 mins in the second half, but weren't good in the 1st half and Argentina were shocking in the 2nd.

Biggest disappointment?
Germany. Argentina obviously the other shout but think they'd have won easily if just 1 of their offsides was ruled to be on. Abysmal in the second half though...

Who's going to win?
Too early to say. Pre-tournament I said Argentina so I'll stick with that for now even though my confidence is fading. I'd change to Brazil if Neymar's injury isn't bad.

Who's been the best? Spain did a great job against Costa Rica - obviously, a very much weaker opposition, but nobody was expecting 7-0. 

Who's been the worst? Qatar was awful, Ecuador has his strength in home games (due to height, like Bolivia). They were playing away in the sea level and even then battered the hosts. I'm expecting total humiliation against Senegal and Netherlands.

Biggest surprise? Saudi Arabia. They are too weak, but their defensive tactical performance with high lines and fierce tackles was outstanding, they really were in their limits against Argentina. Don't know if they'll keep the pace against Poland and Mexico though.

Biggest disappointment? Argentina disappointed everybody, but I think this was due Saudi merits and their anxiety. I was expecting more of Uruguay, their game against South Korea was absolutely awful. Subs made by Diego Alonso were so bad and their team looked like a mess sometimes.

Who's going to win? Brazil, of course. And Gabriel Jesus is going to score his first and only World Cup goal ever in the final.

7 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

So, after the first round of games:

Who's been the best?

Who's been the worst?

Biggest surprise?

Biggest disappointment?

Who's going to win?

Best: Spain

Worst: Costa Rica

Biggest Surprise: Saudi Arabia 

Disappointment: Belgium

Winners: Brazil

Brazil and France have been the only ones to break free from stagnating attacks. I've been so bored with a lot of matches, been unlucky enough to catch all 0-0 games while missing a few of the ones with a lot of goals. I'd include England in teams that look promising but really Iran were just levels below them so it's hard to say. Brazil looked fantastic yesterday, it's hard to look beyond them this year.

Uruguay were thoroughly disappointing to me round 1, South Korea gave them lots of troubles and could have snatched a win even. Argentina and Germany are obvious picks, but I wanna mention a constipated Denmark, a lacklustre Netherlands and a thoroughly frustrating Belgium as well.

I've watched most games and so far this WC is fairly forgettable. Especially frustrating having so many 0-0's!

8 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Who's been the best?

Who's been the worst?

Biggest surprise?

Biggest disappointment?

Who's going to win?

Some games I have seen in full, some games I have seen only a half, some games only extended highlights.

Best: England because I think they were playing a better side than the French with Australia and Spain with Costa Rica. For a side built around their defense I thought Costa Rica were shocking defensively. Australia started okay but far too quickly retreated to become a very timid and meek side. Wingers Leckie and Goodwin were basically playing as second full backs most of the time. I did not see Brazil play, maybe they were better.

Worst: Attitude wise probably Australia, after a good start and scoring a goal they very little effort to get forward in numbers when they got the ball. At least Costa Rica tried to get forward in numbers when they got the ball. Actual performance wise probably Qatar then Costa Rica.

Biggest Surprise: Obviously Saudi Arabia and Japan caused the biggest upsets. Japan do have a lot of players playing in top leagues, especially the Bundesliga, so I think they were less surprising than Saudi Arabia. However Saudi Arabia did qualify for the World Cup ahead of Japan and Australia in their group so you could argue they are the best Asian team at the moment.

Biggest Disappointment.

Argentina were aparently harshly done by with a goal being wrongly called offside that would have changed the game massively so saying them would probably be a bit harsh.

Germany looked weak defensively when Japan attacked them. Sule is certainly not a right back, should never play there again. Schlotterbeck was terrible for the second goal and did not impress me much overall. His lack of awareness for the second goal was shocking, but there was also an incident in the first half where he recieved the ball from Rudiger and just stopped and stood there with the ball at his feet allowing a Japanese player to run and steal the ball. I think he needs to be replaced for the next game and they need to find a better right back. If nothing else play Kimmich there and start Goretzka. 

Apparently Belgium were very poor against Canada despite winning, I have only seen extended highlights and that was not obvious from them but Belgium should be the clearly better side against Canada. If they were not then that is very disappointing.

However for me I was most disappointed in how timidly Australia played during most of the game. After being good in the first 15 or so minutes they put France under no pressure for the rest of the game. France could have and perhaps should have scored a number more goals. Mbappe's finishing was not great, the one he put over from close range might be the worst miss of the tournament.

Winner: I picked France before the tournament and I am not going to change although I think England will be a very tough test for them and it would not be hugely surprising if they lost to England. I think France need Varane to come back into the side as Konate and Upamecano are largely untested at this level and as a partnership.

Who's been the best?

England/Brazil. This World Cup will come down to the side that has the best press, so far, those two have been the best. Spain were great at moving the ball quick though unlike the other two. 

Who's been the worst?

Costa Rica. Didn’t press, carved open, couldn’t string passes together. Just looked like a side that the old guard are at one tournament too many. Qatar were poor too, but maybe first game nerves got the better.

Biggest surprise?

Saudi win without doubt. Brave with their line (rode their luck first half with it), but meant they were aggressive and got a result.

Biggest disappointment?

USA. Expected them to be full of energy, a Leeds style press and play. But 2nd half were terrible and against a very average side in Wales, couldn’t even win.

Who's going to win?

England/Brazil.

Edited by pearcey_90

11 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Who's been the best?

Who's been the worst?

Biggest surprise?

Biggest disappointment?

Who's going to win?

Best: Spain

Worst: Costa Rica

Biggest Surprise: Saudi Arabia

Biggest disappointment: Germany

Who's going to win: France 

Who's been the best?
England

Who's been the worst?
Germany

Biggest surprise?
Saudi Arabia

Biggest disappointment?
Germany, they will get trashed by Spain on sunday and then its bye bye :D wonderful

Who's going to win?
France

Edited by Carambau

Who's been the best?
Brazil are the only team that have turned it on against real quality opposition.  But Australia were a lot better than I expected, so France are up there too.  Costa Rica were so bad that you can't read much into Spain's 7-0 at this stage... got a feeling Germany will get a result against them and blow that group open still.  Reserving judgement on England until I've seen Iran again.  Iran looked far far worse than the stubborn hard-to-beat Iran that have turned up in 2014 and 2018.  But are they awful this year, or did a superb England just make them look really ordinary?  If we start remembering Iran are a decent side, then we have to admit England are potentially the real deal.

Who's been the worst?
Have to say Costa Rica, although they have got some decent players in there somewhere and maybe just showed Spain too much respect and got their game plan totally wrong.  Qatar probaby worse because they were up against arguably their weakest opponent and still offered nothing at all.

Biggest surprise?
Saudi Arabia, obviously.  But they need to use the momentum and take their next game to Poland and play on the front foot.  Otherwise it could all be for nothing.

Biggest disappointment?
All the captains rolling over after armbandgate.  On the pitch, probably Mexico and Poland playing out a 0-0 snoozefest when they knew Argentina had been beaten.  Both looked like they were settling for a point after an hour but now at least one of them will probaby go out.

Who's going to win?
Heart says England v Brazil final.  Head says France might just have too much for us if we meet them in the quarters.

Edited by Rob1981

16 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Biggest disappointment?

All the captains rolling over after armbandgate.  On the pitch, probably Mexico and Poland playing out a 0-0 snoozefest when they knew Argentina had been beaten.  Both looked like they were settling for a point after an hour but now at least one of them will probaby go out.

In that situation it makes sense to try for the win more imo. Chances are Argentina will be playing hard in both games and so you are hoping that you beat Saudi Arabia, Argentina drop points elsewhere either to you or the other team, and the other results don't end up with you needing to beat Argentina. Surely beating Mexico or Poland is more likely than drawing against Argentina needing a result?

17 hours ago, Ackter said:

England unfortunately looking strong.

Wales way more lacklustre than expected, though that was due to getting the tactics exactly wrong.

Are you Scottish (or Irish) by any chance?

Re the topic.

Spain have been the best, they were a joy to watch.

Qatar have been the worst, just a very poor team.

Biggest surprise I think has to be the Saudi's beating Argentina.

Biggest disappointment was probably how poor Belgium looked, they remind me of England's golden generation where so much is expected but they never live up to the expectation.

Who will win? I think Argentina will manage to get out of their group and win it but Spain would be my other choice, either of them I think.

• Administrators
On 24/11/2022 at 20:56, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Who's been the best? Brazil

Who's been the worst? Qatar

Biggest surprise? Saudi 

Biggest disappointment? Lots of contenders here, but I'll go Belgium

Who's going to win? I think an South American team wins this, so Brazil.

I've only seen a few matches all the way through, parts of others, and some highlights, from that it seems like...

England, Belgium, and the Netherlands will be held back by their managers...

Spain and Brazil are the early favorites...

Ecuador looks a serious dark horse...

North American teams can't score. 

Just about anything could happen in group H and it wouldn't be surprising. 

After everyone played two games:

Who's been the best? France, followed by Spain and Brazil

Who's been the worst? Canada

Biggest surprise? Morocco

Biggest disappointment? Belgium

On 25/11/2022 at 00:49, noikeee said:

Ranking of the teams I've been most impressed by

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. France

4. England

5. Germany

6. Argentina

7. Portugal

8. Netherlands

9. Belgium

I think both Germany and Argentina were unlucky in their matches. But Germany are likely to get knocked out on the next match already as they need a result against Spain.. If they survive they can still do something in this competition. The only concern I have is their wacky high line is a bit too much

Please note many matches I've only seen highlights

I can see any of the top 4, yes including England, winning the competition. Anyone else bit more dubious. But we'll wait and see, the first match can be very misleading from experience of previous tournaments. Luck of the draw will be huge too, for example the Netherlands look on paper with a potentially easy route if Argentina still top their group (possible) 

I put us ahead of the Netherlands because I think we have higher highs.. But I also think we are more vulnerable than them. Not quite sure what to make of that. Belgium I didn't like them at all but still did a professional job and still have a good squad.

Slight changes for me after the second match

1. Spain

2. France

3. Brazil

4. Germany

5. England

6. Portugal

7. Argentina 

8. Croatia

9. Netherlands

• Administrators
On 25/11/2022 at 22:38, Lucas said:

Who's been the best? Brazil

Who's been the worst? Qatar

Biggest surprise? Saudi 

Biggest disappointment? Lots of contenders here, but I'll go Belgium

Who's going to win? I think an South American team wins this, so Brazil.

No change after second games for me. 

As things stand, R16s look like this: 

image.png

image.png

Probably won't pan out that way for some sides, but looks interesting. Still with Brazil to win the thing for now. 

On 25/11/2022 at 07:26, pearcey_90 said:

Who's been the best?

England/Brazil. This World Cup will come down to the side that has the best press, so far, those two have been the best. Spain were great at moving the ball quick though unlike the other two. 

Who's been the worst?

Costa Rica. Didn’t press, carved open, couldn’t string passes together. Just looked like a side that the old guard are at one tournament too many. Qatar were poor too, but maybe first game nerves got the better.

Biggest surprise?

Saudi win without doubt. Brave with their line (rode their luck first half with it), but meant they were aggressive and got a result.

Biggest disappointment?

USA. Expected them to be full of energy, a Leeds style press and play. But 2nd half were terrible and against a very average side in Wales, couldn’t even win.

Who's going to win?

England/Brazil.

After 2 games, gone a bit cool on the two initially. I like Spain a bit more, so have them in the three. 

Costa Rica still have as the worse, despite beating Japan. Won’t be shocked if they lose 4-0 to Germany.

USA improved, but need to deliver tonight to avoid biggest disappointment for me.

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

No change after second games for me. 

As things stand, R16s look like this: 

image.png

image.png

Probably won't pan out that way for some sides, but looks interesting. Still with Brazil to win the thing for now. 

Ecuador World Cup SFs. Enner Valencia going home with golden boot after scoring 7 goals. 

Imo, France still looks the best.

Solid defensively, enough muscle in midfield and Mbappe is playing like by far the best player in the tournament.

Brazil isn't far off, but Neymar will have to step up to Mbappe's level.

I can't trust Spain with Busquets and Alba against those two teams for example.

Portugal to round off top4. Despite Santos' best effort, they have too much talent.

Other European teams, Argentina and Morocco in tier2.