Match 5: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia - LIVE on ITV1 (10am GMT) from Lusail Iconic Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Except we've seen plenty of handballs given for those.

I guess they decided to count it from the starting point of adidas stripes. :D

Have we? Don't remember any in recent years since the law was changed, the sleeve part of the arm is no longer handballĀ 

2 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Plus, depending on how big a players shoulders are will impact how far down their arm the sleeve goes.

When they say sleeve its guidance, meaning the top area of your arm, if someone had a longer sleeve and the ball hits closer to the elbow then thats up to interpretationĀ 

What is clear from that offside is Martinez's top part of his arm was offside, so he is offside, like I say we either have a instant automated system or we don't, its going to show mm decisionsĀ 

Edited by Barry Cartman

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

When they say sleeve its guidance, meaning the top area of your arm, if someone had a longer sleeve and the ball hits closer to the elbow then thats up to interpretationĀ 

Force every team to have a neon yellow stripe on the shoulder to make offside calls easier!

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

What is clear from that offside is Martinez's top part of his arm was offside, so he is offside, like I say we either have a instant automated system or we don't, its going to show mm decisionsĀ 

Offside shouldn't ever be down to interpretation though, it's offside or not, there should be no ambiguity.

I agree Martinez is offside, but the rules need to be clearer and take the interpretation out of it.

Edited by Harryseaess

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Have we? Don't remember any in recent years since the law was changed, the sleeve part of the arm is no longer handballĀ 

Itā€™s an ambiguous area, as where does sleeve start/end? From the little diagram they use for handball, thatā€™s not where a sleeve starts/end, unless itā€™s some small tight fit.

Just looking at the FIFA actual wording, all moot anyway my point as it saysĀ 

ā€œthe Law 12 definition for handball, whereby the arm ends at the bottom of the armpit, must be used when judging whether a player is in an offside positionā€

So sleeve is pointless. Might as well have it all as handball, that part of the body the no manā€™s land of football it seems. Neither handball if it hits (depending on interpretation), but offside.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Roy Keane is about to be sent home from yet another World CupĀ 

I thought it was fantastic last night when he was going on about the passion of representing your country at a World Cup, unless Micks in charge

2 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

People have said Argentina are one of the favourites but based on their starting XI i dunno why. Quite average imo.Ā 

They have been on a massive long unbeaten run. But people should remember that UEFA have sucked all the friendly spots away for the Nations League. So much less opportunity now for Argentina and Brazil to play top European opposition. In four and a half years since the last WC, Argentina have only played one friendly against Germany in 2019, then the Finalissima against Italy and a friendly against Estonia this June.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

They have been on a massive long unbeaten run. But people should remember that UEFA have sucked all the friendly spots away for the Nations League. So much less opportunity now for Argentina and Brazil to play top European opposition. In four and a half years since the last WC, Argentina have only played one friendly against Germany in 2019, then the Finalissima against Italy and a friendly against Estonia this June.

Also consider the fact that they've got their early goal. And that they're old. They won't be pushing it to score six or seven, they can afford it to **** around a bit...

3 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Have you ever watched South American qualifiers? Every match has the intensity of a big club derby game.

People making conclusions after 45 minutes is hillarious.

Apparently Brazil is the favorite, but Argentina that won the Copa at Maracana against them is bad.

Hot take artists.

Ā 

I really brought this upon myself. :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

8 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

People have said Argentina are one of the favourites but based on their starting XI i dunno why. Quite average imo.Ā 

On paper, it's definitely average but they are are unbeaten in 37 or so matches, actually play well as a team, won the Copa America and smashed Italy in the Finalissima.