Match 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - BBC1 4pm GMT kick off LIVE from the Al Bayt Stadium in Al Khor

Coulthard's Jaw

The BBC commentators have only just mentioned Valencia is at Fenerbahce now. So obviously he's still playing at a high level, but you'd think he went to West Ham and Everton for a while, and then completely disappeared for four years.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Just wait until the next WC with 48 teams and only one extra from Europe and South America. :thup:

At least Oceania only gets .5 extra places, taking them to... one. Which I don't think is fair but they're so far behind for development it will probably be a while before they're ready for that.

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

The BBC commentators have only just mentioned Valencia is at Fenerbahce now. So obviously he's still playing at a high level, but you'd think he went to West Ham and Everton for a while, and then completely disappeared for four years.

I mean he did? If you do not play in the Greatest League ever, do you even really play football?

6 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Tbh, it's about 5th best. Easily behind South Korea, Iran, Japan and probably Saudi Arabia too.

Them winning the Asian Cup is the equivalent of Denmark going all the way at the previous Euros.

Even 5th best doesn't say much for the rest of the continent though. I'm all for inclusion but if we're getting 8 AFC places in a 48 team World Cup I dread to think what sort of dross we're going to have to see.

Ridiculous that we're getting 8 and 9 places for Asia and Africa but CONMEBOL only gets one extra spot.

Edited by Weezer

Just now, Weezer said:

Even 5th best doesn't say much for the rest of the continent though. I'm all for inclusion but if we're getting 8 AFC places in a 48 team World Cup I dread to think what sort of dross we're going to have to see.

It is terrible in most of the continent. UAE and Uzbekistan are probably going to turn up in the additional spots and they are definitely worse than Qatar.

Just now, Darius1998 said:

It is terrible in most of the continent. UAE and Uzbekistan are probably going to turn up in the additional spots and they are definitely worse than Qatar.

Even with extra places, Uzbekistan will probably find a brand new way to not qualify.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Especially if we have some kind of system that involves best placed third teams etc, could be horrible to watche because of GD chasing.

I'm surprised how bad Qatar has been. I watched the AFC they won as a souple of years ago, and I remember them playing some good football and beating most of the big Asian nations. 

But this is looking like a cup tie between two teams with 3 leagues between them.

3 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan must be kicking themselves they left the AFC now :D 

Just now, ReggaeBwoy said:

Just imagine all the other good goals that will be ruled out due to VAR…

*Bad reffing

Offside flags delay the game and cancel out good goals and entire passages of play. When a ref flags offside wrongly, it's the ref's fault, not the inanimate object's, doesn't mean we should axe linesmen.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Especially if we have some kind of system that involves best placed third teams etc, could be horrible to watche because of GD chasing.

3 teams groups too, which is utter, utter ****.

Massive advantage if you play and win the opening game and you go into your second game knowing you only need a point which could have a big impact on performances.

Pretty much the only good thing going for the Qatar World Cup is it's the last one before it gets well and truly ruined as a spectacle. 

6 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Hate how Gary says "Iran".

I think he's been looking at how to say stuff closer to the right way, he said Uh-ruguay rather than Yu-ruguay too. Haven't actually noticed whether he says Cat-uh or Ca-tar

Edited by The_jagster

11 minutes ago, Weezer said:

3 teams groups too, which is utter, utter ****.

Massive advantage if you play and win the opening game and you go into your second game knowing you only need a point which could have a big impact on performances.

Pretty much the only good thing going for the Qatar World Cup is it's the last one before it gets well and truly ruined as a spectacle. 

Aren't they looking at changing it into 12 groups of 4?

Groups of 3 is a pisstake, it was tried in the past and it just doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, noikeee said:

How would the knockout stages work in this case?

12 groups winners + 4 best second placed teams?

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Maybe, I hadn't heard that. It's 16 groups of 3 as it stands. 

3 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Better have groups of 6.

Everyone is happy for playing 5 matches, top2 from each group qualify and we have the same knockout system as now.