[FM23] Worldwide Champions League [23.4 UPDATE in OP, 24.0 BETA bottom page 2]

As ever, I'd like to start by thanking @graaa, the mad genius behind this custom USA database from FM15. This edit includes a lot of his work on the Extended Club World Cup that was part of that file alongside the changes I made, and I only posted it because he chose not to continue that mod or update it, but left its details as fair use for others, and I thought the idea was too awesome to let it vanish.

This database edit replaces all club continental competitions and the Club World Cup with three worldwide club tournaments: the FIFA Champions League, World League, and Youth League. All domestic leagues are left untouched and will run alongside the intercontinental tournaments: fancy midweek trips to Argentina to play Boca between your league matches? I BET YOU DO.

The FIFA Champions League and World League are senior-level tournaments that mostly work how you expect: Champions League has better competition and better payouts (though the difference between the two isn't as derisory as in real life), finish high enough in your domestic league or win your major domestic cup and you get a ticket (if your league of choice doesn't use a single table or has some other continental qualification shenanigans, it SHOULD work properly depending on how SI or your database modder of choice coded that specific league, but I can't be certain. 

There are qualifiers (the Champions League winner, World League winner, and champions of 30 specified leagues do not have to go through them, and instead get automatic group stage places), and a group stage, and a knockout stage, and Big Fancy Neutral Site Finals. There is now also goal line technology and VAR (in CL/WL group stage games and onward). The qualifying and knockout stages still use away goals as a tiebreaker, and the group stages still use the old format (groups of 4, six matches, top two advance)

The FIFA Youth League uses a similar format and replaces the Viareggio Tournament or whatever it is called for people that aren't using the Susie Real Name fixes. It pits the U19/U18 teams of CL participants (and, where not enough teams are available strictly from the CL clubs, additional elite youth teams from around the world) against each other. 

There is also a a FIFA Super Cup between the Champions League and World League winners, scheduled after qualifiers finish (since neither of those teams participate in them) but before the September international break and the start of the group stages.

News:

May 29: bugfix update, probably final for this year unless something else goes wrong.

• fixed bug with qualified teams sometimes not being drawn into the competition
  • fixed occasional crash bug with transition to final phase of World League qualifying for player clubs
  • fixed bug with the Canada Mega compatibility patch that could prevent the rebuilt Canadian Championship from running (Mini patch has not been changed)
  • removed Iceland Cup patch since SI appear to have fixed that bug?

April 3: Updated for 23.4. @'appy 'ammer's Iceland Cup patch is included so the file would verify, but will be removed when SI fix the underlying issue.

December 27: A small update to fix (eternally living in hope) teams getting drawn into both group stages.

Release: The FM22 version is unlikely to receive any further updates. 

There is one change in functionality from the FM22 version, in the Canadian compatibility patch: the order of qualification for Canadian teams is now the same in both versions, as follows:

1. The Canadian Championship winner
  2. A Canadian winner of the Leagues Cup, if there is one
  3. The CPL playoff final winner
  4. The CPL regular season table winner
  5. The Canadian Championship runner up
  6. The CPL playoff final runner up
  7. Any remaining vacancies are filled from the CPL regular season table, in order

Downloads: 

The FM23 version of this mod is available as an attachment to this post.

Known Issues

Squad registrations may disappear upon loading a save game - this is apparently due to an SI bug, but on a CL/WL matchday you will still be able to select ineligible players even though they have the Unregistered flag, and they appear to remain registered for future matches until the next reload, where they disappear again - so this is annoying but not fatal?

Canadian MLS teams apparently do not have a path to this competition, since Canada's domestic cup is coded as a continental cup rather than as a domestic cup for some reason, and they do not play in the CPL so are not picked for those spots either. To fix this, please use one of the attached compatibility patches that rebuilds the Canadian championship as a domestic cup.

The Mini version is based on SI's vanilla Canada nation rules, the Mega version is based on @yellowsweatygorilla's Canadian megapatch, with his permission and my deep thanks. The files are attached below. Further details in this post.

If you need more details, they're below. Let me know if there are any other bugs or if you have any suggestions, and otherwise have fun!

Qualifiers:

Since FM22, rankings now shift dynamically based on results, but I haven't found where the game actually shows "coefficients" for custom continental competitions, even though I've seen these allocations change in my simulations. I appear to have figured out how to control the distribution of coefficient points, but since the game does not show them we'll all just have to take my word for it. At the very least there seem to be fewer deeply unexpected countries climbing into the top 30 and getting automatic group stage spots than there used to be.

In any case, here is how I expect things to work:

Nation/Association Coefficients, as in reality, are the average of points earned by a nation's clubs per year in both the CL and WL. Nations are ranked based on the sum of these averages over 5 years. Here is how nations earn points:

A win in the CL or WL from the group stage onward is worth 2 points. A draw is worth one.

Wins in the CL qualifiers are worth 1 point. Draws are worth 0.5. 

Wins in the WL qualifiers are worth 0.5 points. Draws are worth 0.25.

Bonus points are also awarded for reaching certain stages of the competition as follows:

Reaching the CL group stage is worth 4 points. Reaching the WL group stage is worth 2 points.

Reaching the CL knockouts is worth 6 points. Reaching the WL knockouts (not including the playoff - so you have to win your WL group or the playoff between a second-place WL group finish and a third-place CL group finish) is worth 3 points.

Reaching each subsequent round in either competition is worth 1 point.

Nations are ranked based on the sum of these average points over the past 5 years (as far as I can tell this starts at 0 so there may be some dramatic shifts in the first 5 years from my initially set list to what results create), and the number of spots is laid out as follows:

CL and WL holders: automatically qualify to the group stage and instead play a Super Cup.  There is no limit on the number of qualifiers for each country, so it is possible for up to 8 teams from a country to qualify, if the CL and WL are won by teams from the same top 9 country.

Leagues ranked 1-9: 6 spots (champion gets an automatic CL group stage spot, cup winner and 2 more spots in Q5, 2 spots in Q4. )

Leagues ranked 10-30: 5 spots (champion to group stage, cup winner and 1 to Q5, 2 to Q4.)

Leagues ranked 31-57: 4 spots (champion to Q5, cup winner to Q4, 2 Q3.)

Leagues ranked 58-89: 3 spots
(For 58-66: champion to Q4, cup winner and 1 to Q3.
For 67, champion and cup winner to Q3, 1 to Q2.
For 68-89: champion to Q3, cup winner and 1 to Q2.)

Leagues ranked 90 and below: 2 spots

(For 90-115, champion and cup winner start in Q2.
For 116 and below, champion and cup winner start in Q1)

The initially set ranking shakes out as follows:

5+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 2 places and the cup winner in Q5, 2 places in Q4):

Spain, Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Russia, Portugal, Argentina,

4+1 (1 automatic CL group stage place, 1 place and the cup winner in Q5, 2 place in Q4):

Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Turkey, Czechia,  Switzerland, Netherlands, Greece, USA, Austria, Croatia, Chile, Denmark, Colombia, Paraguay, Poland, Sweden, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China.

3+1 (1 place in Q5, cup winner in Q4, 2 places in Q3):

Uruguay, Scotland, Romania, Ecuador, Cyprus, Norway, Bulgaria, Peru, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Tunisia, Slovakia, Australia, Hungary, Nigeria, DR Congo, Morocco, Qatar, UAE, Belarus, Canada

Countries that are playable in the base game that start with 3 spots include:

Iceland, Finland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland

Countries that are playable in the base game that start with 2 spots include: 

India, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

Format Details:

Note: all knockout stages, both before and after the group stage, use away goals as a tiebreaker, as well as extra time (including away goals) followed by an ABBA penalty shootout. 

The Champions League has five qualifying rounds, with two-legged fixtures starting in June. All CL qualifiers are seeded into these rounds depending on how high they finished and which league they qualified from or won the domestic cup in, as above. The 96 winners in the final qualifying round (August) go to the CL group stage along with the 32 automatic qualifiers, the losers go to the WL group stage along with the 32 teams that survive the WL qualifiers, below.

The World League has four qualifying rounds, beginning in July after the first two CL qualifying rounds are complete.

• Teams that lose in the first 2 CL rounds start in WL Q1.
  • Teams that lose in CL Q3 are drawn into WL Q2.
  • Teams that lose in CL Q4 are drawn into WL Q3.
  • The winners in WL Q3 advance to WL Q4. The 48 winners of WL Q4 and the 16 "best losers" (not sure how this is calculated honestly) play a one-off WL Q5 game for the 32 final spots in the WL group stage.

Each group stage features 32 groups of 4 (so six games each). CL plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, WL on Thursdays, from September through December.

CL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. Third place teams fall into the World League knockouts.

WL: The top 2 in each group qualify for the knockout rounds. The 32 second place teams will be drawn against the 32 3rd place teams from the Champions League groups - World League group winners will receive a bye to face the winner of those ties.

Everything goes as you'd expect from there.

Prize Money (all amounts in Euros)

Qualifying Phase:

1st round: 75k for CL, 35k for WL

2nd round: 75k for CL, 35k for WL

3rd round: 150k for CL, 150k for WL

4th round: 250k for CL, 150k for WL

5th round: 400k for CL, 300k for WL

CL Group Stage (WL pays about half these amounts)

20M for all Group Stage participants, 1.5M per victory, 750k per draw

CL Knockout Rounds (WL pays about half these amounts, Super Cup final pays approximately half of World League final):

7M for all knockout round participants, + 4M for reaching second knockout round + 6M for reaching QF + 10M for reaching SF  + 20M for winning final or 15M for losing final

WCL Canada Compatibility Mini.fmf

WCL Canada Compatibility Mega.fmf Worldwide Champions League.fmf

Edited by Dallan
bugfix update, final documentation

6 hours ago, farhadjameel5 said:

I was wondering if you edited the finances and sponsorship and youth rating? It could help countries outside Europe like Brazilian teams to get to the top

I haven't edited the youth ratings, or any finances other than the tournament prize money, because that isn't in scope of my project and other people do it better - but even "everyone being able to qualify for the same CL and the same CL's prize money" is helpful for countries outside Europe, that's one of the major reasons I made this edit in the first place.

Edited by Dallan

4 hours ago, Morgan Kane said:

Will this file be posted om Steam as well?

If I buy the game on Steam this year, yes, but I don't expect to do that before the next time it goes on sale. In the meantime I'm on Game Pass so I'm posting it here.

Same place as any other editor data: on Windows it goes in (your Documents folder)/Sports Interactive/Footballl Manager 2023/editor data. Not sure of the equivalents on other OSes.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not supposed to happen and I've tried to fix it what feels like ten different times over the past seven years, but I must have missed a loophole - thanks for reporting, I'll look into it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 23:08, Thiago Souza said:

Bayern in my save plays in both leagues (Champions and World League) simultaneously.

That was supposed to happen?

I've adjusted the World League so this PROBABLY shouldn't happen anymore, but I've thought that before over the years and it keeps coming back so who knows at this point!

Anyway, download this file and replace the old version in your editor data. I'll update the OP shortly. Thanks for the report and happy new year!

edit: @vietthaidinh93that may have been the result of a typo, though it's weird that my tests didn't have that happen. I've corrected the typo, try redownloading and see?

Worldwide Champions League.fmf

Edited by Dallan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 08:32, anitamui said:

Long time no see,but would you make a version that replace group stage with something similar to 2024 champions league?

I might if SI have already done the work to code it, so I'll look at the vanilla CL when I have time, but the 2024 format looks complex to code in the editor and I don't like it enough to do it myself TBH.

If someone else wants to more power to them!

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2023 at 12:45, Dallan said:

There's probably something I need to do to update it for this week's patch, I'll try and do it in the coming days.

And done. Caveats:

• I haven't had time to test much beyond "does it verify in the editor and start a save properly in the game" yet. I also haven't changed anything significant from previous versions so this may not be a huge problem, but I will hold off updating the OP until I do.
  • For the Canada Mega compatibility patch, since the author of the underlying Canada Megapatch has not yet updated, the compatibility patch is still based on the previous version, except that FC Edmonton (RIP) has been un-extincted as that was the easiest way to get the file to verify. 

WCL Canada Compatibility Mega.fmf WCL Canada Compatibility Mini.fmf Worldwide Champions League.fmf

22 hours ago, Foxy Hippo said:

Are the away goals removed to align with UEFA competition rules?

No, these competitions still use away goals as a tiebreaker (unlike with the 2024 group stage format, it would be easy to change that but like with the 2024 group stage format, the main reason is that I prefer it this way). 

When I update the OP I'll make this clear there.

Edited by Dallan

On 15/03/2023 at 10:49, Idan_Valo said:

hey

when will you update the file? doesn't work in 23.3

The files attached to my reply a couple of posts up should work with 23.3. I wanted to test them a bit further before updating the OP and renaming the thread and all that (also I wouldn't complain if the final DB patch came out), but people who have tried them haven't reported any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a file that someone released that fixed the Iceland Cup. I just merged the two files together but I don't really know if it's changed anything else since I haven't really touched the editor previously.

@Dallan Do you mind me putting up what I merged on here in the meantime? Just wanting confirmation before using your files to share with others.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Haydos007 said:

There's a file that someone released that fixed the Iceland Cup. I just merged the two files together but I don't really know if it's changed anything else since I haven't really touched the editor previously.

I've merged that file into this mod, updated the Canada Mega compatibility patch for the new version of the underlying mod, and verified all the files for 23.4, attached.

RL is a mess this week but I'll update OP when I have time (maybe if I'm lucky SI will hotfix the Iceland issue so I don't have to include those changes anymore).

WCL Canada Compatibility Mega.fmf WCL Canada Compatibility Mini.fmf Worldwide Champions League.fmf

• Dallan changed the title to [FM23] Worldwide Champions League [23.4 UPDATED]

Awesome. All the best with RL!

Thanks for all of the amazing work.

16 hours ago, Dallan said:

I've merged that file into this mod, updated the Canada Mega compatibility patch for the new version of the underlying mod, and verified all the files for 23.4, attached.

RL is a mess this week but I'll update OP when I have time (maybe if I'm lucky SI will hotfix the Iceland issue so I don't have to include those changes anymore).

WCL Canada Compatibility Mega.fmf 172.37 kB · 3 downloads WCL Canada Compatibility Mini.fmf 21.72 kB · 2 downloads Worldwide Champions League.fmf 34.03 kB · 4 downloads

Edited by Haydos007
Properly Quoting

3 hours ago, ChicoPolska said:

Although Welsh teams are considered to be participating, none are drawn so no Welsh teams play in these competitions

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

Just looks like you haven't progressed through the year enough for the fixtures to be made. There are about 5 or 6 rounds of qualifiers before the group stage. It should work itself out. On all of my playthroughs, Welsh teams have had fixtures right through. Haverfordwest enters in the second qualifying stage and looks like Bala town enter on the third? I assume they won the league the year before?

edit: It may also have something to do with the scheduling clash with one of the league games that when the draw is made should adjust correctly.

2nd Edit: How the amount of spots works is correlated to how high up the league is. Thus the premier divisions (1st tier competitions in countries) that are lower down on your games league/division rankings start earlier in qualifiers and thus have a lower chance of getting in (theoretically)

Hope all this helps.

Edited by Haydos007

It's my third season .
First season, no problem the Welsh teams play international competitions.
Second season, the teams are well qualified but are not drawn for these competitions.
And the current third season, the one of the pictures I shared, it does not get better. I was until August but still the same, the teams concerned are not drawn for the competition.

That's....very strange, but thanks for the detailed report. I think I have an idea what could possibly be causing teams that are supposed to enter in a certain round (like your screenshots say) to not actually get drawn.

Edited by Dallan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, played a Hong Kong save. Second season, no issues and made it to 4th qualifying of FCL before dropping into the FWL but also knocked out in 4th qualifying round. Third season same thing but made it to the FWL final playoff phase. 2 days before game FM crashes no matter what. Tried all suggestions online and all back up saves but can't get past that specific date. Even if I sim past it, as soon as you come back off of holiday it crashes. Just figured that specific save was corrupted so finally started another today in a different league. Unfortunately same story once I make it to the WEL final play off phase. 2 days before the game it crashes. Any ideas? I really love this idea btw I downloaded my first FM in 6 years just to play this mode.

I have an idea but I suspect I would need to make some changes in advanced rules and do a bugfix release (which would of course need a new save).

I'm already doing one for the missing qualifiers issue anyway and I definitely appreciate the report.

I've adjusted a couple of Advanced Rules settings that look like they should address the bugs with qualified teams not being drawn into the competition, and with the transition to the final phase of World League qualifying when the player is involved. They verify in the editor but still need testing ingame - anyone who wants to help with that can download the test version attached here

Worldwide Champions League.fmf

Edited by Dallan

Thank you very much for your incredible work, this is something I always wanted!

Seeing how you have some expertise with this - how would you go about including the leagues of new nations created by editing extinct ones?

The reason being that I have created an European Super League (former Ireland pre-1922), an South American Superleague (and boy do international competitions not like an extra nation in South America; former C.I.S) and an African Super League (former Czechoslovakia), and what I always wanted to do is have a file where I have all of those as well as the regular leagues participating in international club tournaments, just like your worldwide leagues. 
Since merging databases doesn't really seem to work nowadays in the editor, I would essentially have to find a way to include them while still loading each league and your work via different files into the game.

Seeing how I'm nowhere near as skilled as you, ideally I'd adapt your file to accomplish this if at all possible, so I'd appreciate some insight on how to do it the best way.

Edited by MRC

3 hours ago, MRC said:

Thank you very much for your incredible work, this is something I always wanted!

Seeing how you have some expertise with this - how would you go about including the leagues of new nations created by editing extinct ones?

This is tricky to do because you can't easily merge different sets of rules in the editor, so the changes you'd need to make to my rules to accomodate the super leagues wouldn't verify properly without the super leagues being present, You'd probably need to export them to XML, combine them manually, and then reimport. Even then it might not work TBH, so much of really advanced editor work is trial and error.

This post is a decent guide to doing that. Also the guy who did this mod on Susie was in touch with me recently about how to adapt my mod to extinct countries, might bbe worth talking to him (as he figured it out on his own before I got back to him)

3 minutes ago, lekemog said:

Hello When i have installed this, the Champions League competition is not playable in game, while the world league one exists in game any solutions? 

This really shouldn't happen, especially since the World League depends on the CL existing. Do you have anything else installed that modifies the Club World Cup?

One thing that used to happen, probably still does, and might be confusing: if you're using the Real Name fixes, in your first session after starting a game the FIFA Champions League will be called the Club World Cup, but this will correct itself when you load the save.

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Dallan:

This is tricky to do because you can't easily merge different sets of rules in the editor, so the changes you'd need to make to my rules to accomodate the super leagues wouldn't verify properly without the super leagues being present, You'd probably need to export them to XML, combine them manually, and then reimport. Even then it might not work TBH, so much of really advanced editor work is trial and error.

This post is a decent guide to doing that. Also the guy who did this mod on Susie was in touch with me recently about how to adapt my mod to extinct countries, might bbe worth talking to him (as he figured it out on his own before I got back to him)

Thank you very much for the swift response! 
Do you reckon it could work if I merge the files to get the extinct country into the base (even though it's not playable if you just load that merged file) in order to be able to set rules so your leagues have a target to draw in teams from, then load a savefile by having both that file and the original file of the extinct country in the advanced setup? Loading the two together into one savegame is no problem, but all those international club competitions (obviously) run without drawing in any teams from the league.

On 30/04/2023 at 17:14, MRC said:

Thank you very much for the swift response! 
Do you reckon it could work if I merge the files to get the extinct country into the base (even though it's not playable if you just load that merged file) in order to be able to set rules so your leagues have a target to draw in teams from, then load a savefile by having both that file and the original file of the extinct country in the advanced setup? Loading the two together into one savegame is no problem, but all those international club competitions (obviously) run without drawing in any teams from the league.

That sounds like it should work, if I'm reading you correctly:

• a version of the WCL editor file, with the extinct countries revived in the DB, teams moved to them, and the WCL rules edited to account for the new countries in whatever way you plan
  • the superleague rules files, separate

One thing you may need to watch out for though: the standard continental rules systems that I use here seem, as far as I can tell, to pick teams from each nation only among teams whose Continental Cup Nation match the nation being chosen from.

What this means for super leagues is that, even if you add your super league's nation to the nations that get spots in the WCL, if you don't change your teams Continental Cup nation to match then nobody will end up filling the super league nation's spots. If you're lucky, Super League teams will be assigned spots from their previous nations in some way that isn't visible to you (this is more likely if their previous nation does not have an active league, from my understanding of how it works)). If you're unlucky things will just break.

It is theoretically possible to leave the continental cup nation where it is, and instead edit that nation's advanced rules (in the top division under Other Stage Rules->Continental Cup Rules) to assign spots based on league position or other criteria in any competition (including the relevant super league if it's in the DB in the editor file you're working with) - this is how my Canada compatibility patches work. So, for example, you could edit the rules for Brazil's Serie A to tell it to assign continental spots first by league position in the relevant Super League, then (if not enough Brazilian teams are in the super league to fill Brazil's spots) by league position in the Serie A or whatever else you want. Doing this would probably need you to XML-combine several sets of competition rules at least, and possibly the nation rules to go with them.

I don't know how many spots you want your new leagues to have or how comfortable you are with getting wrist-deep in the guts of the advanced rules, and I haven't tried a project like this myself so I don't know which of these paths will work better for what you have in mind, but I just wanted to flag a potential issue for you.

Edited by Dallan

Thank you very much for the heads up!

My only concern is that when loading up your database, some entries are listed as <Record not found> - but I will give it a try!
Although perhaps there will come a time when I just try xml-merge my Super Leagues together once I'm happy with them and then either see if I can adapt or build a much simpler, less elegant, more rudimentary version of what you did because that's probably the most I could accomplish.

Let's see how far I'll get, even just sorting out the issues with my revamped super leagues is a bit of a hassle recently because new errors keep showing up and with the little activity in this forum that means a lot of trial and error for me until I eventually figure out how to circumvent them.

Edit: And may I see, very nice choice of team you've got.

Edited by MRC

On 03/05/2023 at 16:53, MRC said:

Edit: And may I see, very nice choice of team you've got.

they have not exactly been nice to me. :P

Just posting to confirm that I've finalized the most recent bugfixes from my last test version, uploaded them to the OP, and updated the documentation. This SHOULD be the final version for the year unless more bugs crop up, and if you've downloaded the last test version there are no changes so keep going with it. 

If you've been using the Canada Mega patch, I noticed a mistake I made that MIGHT have prevented the Canadian championship from running. Since nobody reported that I don't know if it was actually happening, but if it was happening the version now in the OP should fix it. If it's running properly, again, there are no other changes so feel free to keep going with the version you were using..

god it feels good to actually be able to play now, cripes

Edited by Dallan

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Dallan:

they have not exactly been nice to me. :P

Just posting to confirm that I've finalized the most recent bugfixes from my last test version, uploaded them to the OP, and updated the documentation. This SHOULD be the final version for the year unless more bugs crop up, and if you've downloaded the last test version there are no changes so keep going with it. 

If you've been using the Canada Mega patch, I noticed a mistake I made that MIGHT have prevented the Canadian championship from running. Since nobody reported that I don't know if it was actually happening, but if it was happening the version now in the OP should fix it. If it's running properly, again, there are no other changes so feel free to keep going with the version you were using..

Can confirm, they tortured us :(

Thank you for that confirmation! I can't wait to get everything to work and run it in tandem with my own custom database!