Fyre fest world cup: Fan Villages are still building sites according to evidence seen by the Guardian

decapitated

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/18/world-cup-accommodation-site-unfinished-with-abandoned-trucks

A large official fan village, which is expected to house dozens of England and Wales fans in the coming weeks, still resembles a building site less than 48 hours before the World Cup kicks off.

The Rawdat Al Jahhaniya accommodation base, in the shadow of the Ahmad bin Ali stadium where Wales play the US on Monday, had abandoned forklift trucks and a digger next to the hundreds of sea containers that will host supporters when the Guardian visited on Thursday and Friday.

Remarkably the site, which opened on Friday, costs £172 a night for a double cabin for two.

On the official website, Fifa lists a tennis court and cinema screen as being among the facilities. There seemed no sign of either, although they could have been hidden from view. Meanwhile the promised “fitness centre/gym” appeared to consist of a few pieces of outdoor equipment close to the main entrance and road.

There was a huge amount of sand and rubble, as well as a giant crater by the side of a tent that will serve as a mosque.

A site organiser insisted security guards would patrol the area 24 hours a day. “Security won’t be an issue,” he said. “There will be guards who will stop people coming in.” Those guards quickly interjected when reporters tried to take pictures.

There is a portable Starbucks van and a large tented dining hall, which will serve a range of food including pizzas and burgers. Amenities in each cabin include tea- and coffee-making facilities, two bottles of water per day, a fridge, bed linen and bathroom towels.

The World Cup is expected to attract 1.2m visitors, but by March Qatar had only 30,000 hotel rooms, 80% of which had been booked by Fifa for teams, officials and sponsors.

That has led to concerns among fans and a rush to make more accommodation available – including shared rooms in empty apartments, a cruise ship off the coast of Doha and traditional-style tents in the desert.

The Rawdat Al Jahhaniya accommodation is not the only fan site of which questions have been asked. On Thursday the Times spoke to two contractors who had spent 10 days at Ras Bu Fontas, which will host 6,000 football fans a day, and who raised concerns.

One told the newspaper: “It has been hell. The air con in the cabin barely works and sounds like a [fighter jet] is taking off. Even if you have it on all the time during the day it is still 27C. You can’t have it on at night because it is so noisy.”

The other described the cabins, which contain two single beds, in unflattering terms. “They are rock hard so you might as well sleep on the floor,” he said. “I have never been somewhere so uncomfortable. We have been here for 10 days and it is a nightmare. It might be OK if you want to rough it for a night or two, but any longer would be dreadful.”

The Qatar organising committee declined to comment when contacted by the Guardian.

Shipping containers at the Rawdat Al Jahhaniya fan accommodation

Shipping containers await fans in the Rawdat Al Jahhaniya accommodation site near the Ahmed bin Ali Stadium.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11447123/Supporters-World-Cup-Fan-Park-Doha-left-waiting-ONE-HOUR-scorching-temperatures.html

Thousands of fans were forced to wait in two-hour long queues in searing temperatures at the official FIFA fan park in Doha.

The park was due to open at 4pm local time but supporters began gathering earlier in the day to ensure a quick entry.

Huge lines had already formed at 3.30pm but the doors did not open for another hour, with fans unable to buy any water to stay hydrated as they waited.

One group of Mexican fans told Sportsmail they had been waiting over two hours but had still not managed to get inside.

'We have been waiting here two hours,' one fan said. 'We cannot buy any water, we did not bring any with us.

We don't know when we will get inside, they [security] cannot tell us anything. Hopefully we can get in soon.'

There were two queues on either side of the fan park, with the side the Mexican supporters were located eventually being shut off.

Hundreds of security guards were deployed on the entrance to that side of the queue.

No reason was given for the delay in opening the doors to allow fans inside the park.

A family from the United States, who had been waiting for nearly 45 minutes, ended up leaving the queue because they were told their young children would not be allowed inside.

'We can't go inside with the children, they are saying it won't be so nice for them in there,' the mother said.

'We will probably go somewhere else to one of the Souqs.'

Supporters wanting to leave the fan park also have to walk 15 minutes due to the nearest station being exit only.

The next closest station is West Bay but there is also nowhere to buy water or fill up bottles.

Fans who chose to stay in the long queues were provided with some entertainment from a Qatar band, who were playing the drums. But this only lasted for around 10 minutes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11446715/Fans-flying-tournament-expect-Qatar-fan-village-185-night-unfinished-shambles.html

World Cup fans have complained about the 'rip off' accommodation inside £185-a-night metal containers amid piles of rubbish and rubble in Qatar.

Work was still going on today at the Rawdat All Jahhaniya fan camp with piles of rubbish stored around the sea containers converted to house human cargo.

Fans complained about being cramped and being 'ripped off' at prices of around £185 per cabin per night.

One fan Milad Mahmooditar, 32, from Tehran said: 'It is ridiculous that I have to pay so much money to stay in this tin can.

'I am 6 feet tall and my bed is too small. There is no room to move and the air-conditioning unit makes so much noise that you cannot sleep.

'The bathroom isn't much of a bathroom and you can hardly move without falling over the small table or kicking the bed.

'I have paid around $200 for each night and I know that for $100 I can get a five star hotel with full board. 

'This is not the way to treat visitors to any country. We have paid so much money to get here.

'I'm a businessman, but I'm not rich. I've spent a lot of money to come here and I expect to be treated much better than this.

'I am sorry about this and I am angry. Maybe it's okay for the Qatari people who are rich and live in luxury houses for. Me, this is not okay.'

A Welsh fan who asked not to be named said: 'I probably would've paid double the money to come and see my country play.

'But really? Is this what they're going to put us in. Metal containers with no air, very little light and like a shoebox?

'There is no room to move or to store your luggage. A tiny table can just about hold a bowl of cornflakes.'

Tonight security guards outnumbered fans and stood around the entrances. But they said the fan resident numbers would increase massively after tomorrow when the World Cup begins.

A makeshift outdoor gym was empty and a mobile caravan where coffee was on sale was doing little business.

Painters were still applying finishing touches as others carried out wiring on electrical points.

Black bags of rubble and rubbish were dumped at the back of the site but easily visible to visitors.

Very few England fans have arrived at the makeshift fan base but with the first match on Monday, that number will increase massively from tomorrow.

Fans flying to the FIFA World Cup tournament in Qatar can expect the fan village to be a £185-a-night unfinished shambles where local officials threaten to smash video cameras of unhappy supporters and stop journalists from filming.

With less than 24 hours until the World Cup kicks off with the opening ceremony and clash between the host nation and Ecuador in Doha at the Al Bayt Stadium, the fan villages resemble construction sites.

Footage and images show piles of rubble and sand, ripped up turf and industrial machinery still on-site at the Rawdat Al Jahhaniya fan village, which will be home to thousands of England and Wales fans for the World Cup.

Along with abandoned forklift trucks and a digger next to hundreds of sea containers, promised amenities like a cinema screen and tennis court are also not present, according to The Guardian. 

The 'fitness centre/gym' appears to be a few pieces of outdoor equipment close to the main entrance and road of the fan village, which is managed by the operator Al Emadi and next to the Ahmad bin Ali stadium.

The newspaper additionally reported that by the side of a tent, that will be used as a mosque during the tournament, is a giant crater, while a portable Starbucks van and a large tented dining hall will serve as catering for the hungry football fans.

Inside the cabins, which opened on Friday and costs £185 a night for a double cabin for two, tiny air-conditioning units are unable to cool the space during the day and rattle too loudly at night to be usable.

Those paying to stay in the Rawdat Al Jahhaniya accommodation, that will sleep as many as 60,000 people, can look forward to spartan interiors with either two single beds or a double bed, toilet, mini-fridge and tea and coffee-making facilities.

Work was still going on today at the Rawdat All Jahhaniya fan camp with piles of rubbish stored around the sea containers converted to house human cargo

On 19/11/2022 at 15:06, decapitated said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11447123/Supporters-World-Cup-Fan-Park-Doha-left-waiting-ONE-HOUR-scorching-temperatures.html

Thousands of fans were forced to wait in two-hour long queues in searing temperatures at the official FIFA fan park in Doha.

The park was due to open at 4pm local time but supporters began gathering earlier in the day to ensure a quick entry.

thats their own fault tbf.

Missus was there tonight, and fwiw she saw no signs of trouble or danger. Said it was very busy and beer queue was long (to be expected) but nothing out of the ordinary. Not as fun as the last one we went to but she'd go again when I arrive.

Think she was in there in plenty of time though so was probably far enough in to not be able to see this. And judging by the light in that video this looks like a lot of people arriving late and then being surprised that the place is already full because it was still daylight when she sent me pics of her in the queue.

Still clearly a failing in personnel for not having the manpower and decisiveness to shut the entrance down once capacity was reached though. You'd hope they'd learn as the tournament progresses but seeing as they're probably being paid 26p to be there I'm guessing they don't give a ****.

21 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Missus was there tonight, and fwiw she saw no signs of trouble or danger. Said it was very busy and beer queue was long (to be expected) but nothing out of the ordinary. Not as fun as the last one we went to but she'd go again when I arrive.

I'll be very interested to hear a first-hand account of how things are out there, without any kind of media filter :thup:

24 minutes ago, HopOnBaby said:

I'll be very interested to hear a first-hand account of how things are out there, without any kind of media filter :thup:

If Qatar offer me money I'm taking it but I will definitely let you guys know that my opinions have been paid for :D  

EyRrNTIU8AAdQYD.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fifa-world-cup/article-11454593/Migrant-workers-putting-14-hour-shifts-30-C-heat-complete-180-night-World-Cup-cabins.html

Many of the £180-a-night cabins being marketed to World Cup fans are still being thrown together, with migrant workers on 14-hour shifts to complete them, Sportsmail can reveal.

A third of the Free Zone complex was still under construction on Monday, with some cabins still unfurnished shells. Unplumbed toilets were stacked outside them as workers hammered and drilled together cheap flat-pack beds and wardrobes to furnish them.

Two Indian migrant workers, who are earning just £25 a day, said site bosses were offering further ad-hoc bonuses of £25 to encourage them to work faster to get the work finished. 

Working in 30°C (86°F) heat, one of them said: 'They are telling us, 'Hurry, hurry'. They will pay four workers the bonus to fit things — lay the carpets (between the huts), install the air conditioning or the lights.

'They say they want it finished in five days and no one is allowed to leave this work to go elsewhere.'

He also said he was working a 5am to 7pm shift with a one-hour break.

The unfurnished shells — blocks M to P of the complex — were marked on the site map at the entrance to the vast complex and appear to be among the two-bed cabins being marketed for £172 a night. Unpacked air-conditioning units, bed frames and wardrobes were piled outside these units, at the northern area of the vast complex near Doha's Hamad International Airport.

It was a scene of frenetic work, with steamrollers compressing tar and stone on the desert sand and workers carrying pipes to plumb in to mobile air-conditioning units. The need for urgency was obvious.

As the workers toiled, hundreds of supporters were rolling their suitcases up to the site and queuing 10-deep at the dozen or so check-in desks.

These fans were directed to the cabins which had been furnished — but even in these areas, there was work still to complete on communal toilets, which were closed.

The furnished cabins, seen by Sportsmail, are extremely basic for the cost. A pipe from mobile air-conditioning units is fed out through a hole in the wall and the same tap is used to work the water for both the toilet and the shower. Meanwhile, electric fans provide some additional ventilation.

The race to get these units furnished, with the tournament already under way, comes three months after Sportsmail found the site totally deserted during a daytime visit. 

It reflects the scene across Doha, where migrant workers are laying turf, scrubbing public seats, laying paving, and scores of other tasks in a last-minute drive to create a temporary impression of perfection. Three of the Free Zone cabin workers said the huts were only here for the duration of the World Cup. 'They are being shipped to Africa after that,' he said.

At the Free Zone site on Monday, Wales supporter Dev Wilkins said of his cabin: 'It's just a little bit grotty. There was a layer of dust on the bedroom wall and a piece of tape sticking the toilet cistern on.

'A Dutch fan knocked on the door last night, asking how to work the water for the toilet. Using the shower tap for the toilet isn't obvious.

'It just feels like it's been thrown together. You'd usually expect far better quality for £180 but after all the horror stories, it's probably not as bad as I thought.'

Some of the food units also remain unfurnished wooden shells, though a dozen of those are open and trading.

The lack of shade from the sun is one of the most striking parts of the complex. For example the cushions that were laid out in front of the big screen in the deserted central complex offered no shade.

Fans who had already arrived were at tables placed in the shade provided by cabins and food units.'

Sportsmail asked the company operating the site, Qatari property developer Al Emadi, if the unfinished cabins had been sold and when they would be completed. They have not responded.

• 2 weeks later...