[FM23] Pan-American Copa America

Regular version:
Copa America.fmf

Alongside my 40 team WC file version:
z Copa America.fmf

This expands the Copa America to a 16 team tournament featuring teams from both North and South America.

1 host
4 North American teams
6 South American teams
5 qualifying playoff winners

2 different versions of the file since it's much easier to schedule alongside reduced CONMEBOL WC qualifying. The base version has some matches outside the regular international calendar, the version that goes with my WC file fits entirely within the standard calendar.

20221117144046_1.thumb.jpg.bee4cac91ebe09f61a0f30c91b853158.jpg

20221117144052_1.thumb.jpg.d9e5e7c1399da3e216432c19e967aab8.jpg

Additionally a CONMEBOL Nations League has been added that works as a qualifier for the Copa America.

20221117144520_1.thumb.jpg.65f1f8dcd7a035a4f1837a8e20ddbd82.jpg

The top 3 from each group qualify for the Copa America. The 4th placed teams qualify for the Copa America Playoff.

The CONCACAF Nations League has also been expanded to 4 teams per group (matching the UEFA one) and also serves as a qualifier for the Copa America.

20221117144728_1.thumb.jpg.188861efd4213b31cc05ae1d05bc461a.jpg

The top team from each group qualifies for the Copa America. 2nd and 3rd, as well as the 1st placed team in each Division B group qualify for the playoff.

The Playoff features the 3rd placed teams from CONCACAF Div. A and 4th placed teams from Div. B face in the first round. The winners proceed to the 2nd round where they are joined by the 2nd placed teams in Div. A and the 4th placed teams from the CONMEBOL Nations League. The 5 winners of the playoff advance to the Copa America.

The Gold Cup has also been reworked to be a quadrennial 2nd tier competition for North American teams. Those that failed to qualify for the Copa America, plus a couple B teams from the major nations, will play in the Gold Cup instead.

4 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

You could make it so anyone qualifying for Copa America sends their B team. Just "ignore teams" that qualify and then in the list of teams just use "backup team type" as B team or u23

That's what I've done. Although it's limited to only the top 3 North American nations in the Copa America (+ the host if they qualified for the Copa). They also have to go through a 2 legged qualification match to get in rather than automatic qualification.

Edit: here's how it looks

20221117164119_1.thumb.jpg.d46036c66fb7bdf91857a3c376f754b8.jpg

20221117164125_1.thumb.jpg.b8413e2c5a88bfb89f27d75434357a78.jpg

Canada lost to El Salvador in the Copa playoff so dropped down to the Gold Cup. Mexico, Martinique and Costa Rica all had B teams in the qualifying playoff, only Mexico won though. The US qualified as hosts but sent their B team due to being in the Copa America at the same time.

Edited by rusty217

Sweet, love the integration with existing tournaments. I always liked keeping the 10 CONMEBOL nations in my joint Copas - couldn't stomach the idea of kicking them out, lol - and an invited team like I mentioned in the other thread. But your system is so detailed and fleshed out I'll likely use it instead. Did you manage to use existing FIFA dates for any extra games like CONMEBOL Nations League and the playoffs?

21 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

Sweet, love the integration with existing tournaments. I always liked keeping the 10 CONMEBOL nations in my joint Copas - couldn't stomach the idea of kicking them out, lol - and an invited team like I mentioned in the other thread. But your system is so detailed and fleshed out I'll likely use it instead. Did you manage to use existing FIFA dates for any extra games like CONMEBOL Nations League and the playoffs?

I would've liked to have kept more, but automatic host qualification made that difficult. Needed there to be an extra team in each group that a qualification/playoff place could drop down to whenever a South American country hosts. On the plus side any Copa playoff losing teams gets a place in the Gold Cup though, so if a CONMEBOL team gets a playoff place then loses they'll still have a tournament to play in the summer (and have a decent chance of winning it too!).

Any matches for CONCACAF teams should fit in existing FIFA dates. CONMEBOL unfortunately doesn't work so well due to the sheer number of WC qualifying matches they play. The year the WC takes place fits in fine, the other 3 years not so much. Although the alternative version alongside my WC file fits all matches into existing FIFA dates.

7 hours ago, rusty217 said:

I would've liked to have kept more, but automatic host qualification made that difficult. Needed there to be an extra team in each group that a qualification/playoff place could drop down to whenever a South American country hosts. On the plus side any Copa playoff losing teams gets a place in the Gold Cup though, so if a CONMEBOL team gets a playoff place then loses they'll still have a tournament to play in the summer (and have a decent chance of winning it too!).

Any matches for CONCACAF teams should fit in existing FIFA dates. CONMEBOL unfortunately doesn't work so well due to the sheer number of WC qualifying matches they play. The year the WC takes place fits in fine, the other 3 years not so much. Although the alternative version alongside my WC file fits all matches into existing FIFA dates.

Nice. Non-FIFA dates might just have problems with call-ups outside of that country's domestic league, the game used to do that for CHAN so it would default to all non-FIFA date tourneys. Not sure if that's still active.

You can have variable qualifying rules (to switch up the hosts w/o having a drop down spot) by having separate "editions" of the tournament. Same rules, just duplicated, with like a 2024 tournament on an 8 year rotation and a 2028 tournament on an 8 year rotation. One could be for N.A. hosts, other for S.A., and just duplicate the qualifying the same way. Obviously then make minor adjustments to the qualifying and rules of the 2028 one to accommodate the change.

Ultimately it's a lot of work and your system is great anyway. I always want to keep things tidy but end up doing duplicated comps like this (game treats it the same as normal in-game) for tighter control over scheduling, stadiums, etc, even having co-hosts (I think in 2018 I had it hosted one year in the Caribbean with Jam/T&T seeded and an edition in Central America with each big team hosting a group)

On 18/11/2022 at 01:47, themodelcitizen said:

Nice. Non-FIFA dates might just have problems with call-ups outside of that country's domestic league, the game used to do that for CHAN so it would default to all non-FIFA date tourneys. Not sure if that's still active.

You can have variable qualifying rules (to switch up the hosts w/o having a drop down spot) by having separate "editions" of the tournament. Same rules, just duplicated, with like a 2024 tournament on an 8 year rotation and a 2028 tournament on an 8 year rotation. One could be for N.A. hosts, other for S.A., and just duplicate the qualifying the same way. Obviously then make minor adjustments to the qualifying and rules of the 2028 one to accommodate the change.

Ultimately it's a lot of work and your system is great anyway. I always want to keep things tidy but end up doing duplicated comps like this (game treats it the same as normal in-game) for tighter control over scheduling, stadiums, etc, even having co-hosts (I think in 2018 I had it hosted one year in the Caribbean with Jam/T&T seeded and an edition in Central America with each big team hosting a group)

I actually have multiple versions of the Nations Leagues already. With them being every 2 years and the Copa every 4 years, two separate versions were needed. 1 which qualifies teams to the Copa and 1 which doesn't.

It'd be nice if there were like an If host nation = South American then.... kind of instruction to use. Alternating between North/South America doesn't seem like it'd work so well though due to the lack of suitable hosts in North America. Only really Mexico, the US and Canada have the infrastructure in place to host the Copa, while probably all 10 South American countries are ready to host. It's a shame that co-hosts can't be set up as potential picks in the editor, only selected for specific years.

Edited by rusty217

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/11/2022 at 19:50, omarsorto6 said:

if you want try out this file it with some Ocean nation to as well but it’s pretty far into the game I believe it starts in 2024

)fc afc nations league.fmf 78.43 kB · 6 downloads

somehow with this db it make my game crash. is that happen on your save?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2023 at 20:50, anitamui said:

23.5?

Sorry, I don't plan to support this file anymore. Too much work to maintain multiple files, so I'm working on a combined international file featuring my Copa America, World Cup, and a few new things instead. Will be much easier for me to maintain just 1 file, especially when updating to FM24 or FM25. Seems to be going pretty well so far, just a few finishing touches and testing needed now.

在 2023/6/17 在 PM7点55分, rusty217说:

Sorry, I don't plan to support this file anymore. Too much work to maintain multiple files, so I'm working on a combined international file featuring my Copa America, World Cup, and a few new things instead. Will be much easier for me to maintain just 1 file, especially when updating to FM24 or FM25. Seems to be going pretty well so far, just a few finishing touches and testing needed now.

sounds great

On 17/06/2023 at 07:55, rusty217 said:

Out of curiosity is it gonna be the same formant for Copa America or are u gonna change it up?

22 hours ago, omarsorto6 said:

Out of curiosity is it gonna be the same formant for Copa America or are u gonna change it up?

Same format. I've made some changes to the Asian Cup though. Decided to just fully merge Asia/Oceania so expanded the Asian Cup to 32 teams to account for extra teams in qualifying. I've also added a new competition for the American/African teams (and the Euros host) that skip the first round of WC qualifying. Rather than fill it up with friendlies they play each other. It's had some interesting results so far.

• 2 weeks later...