How to adapt?

Hello.

I am writing this as a sequel for this thread. 

Many guys here thinks game is not to hard and they are saying you just need to adapt, to tweak things. Those are the word of Miles Jacobsen too.

"You have to be thinking during the match, you have to be making tweaks and changes accordingly. Not loads of them. It’s not like the Tinker Man era with Claudio Ranieri. But making sure that you’re protecting leads, or trying to get something out of the game towards the end, definitely has more of an effect now and the opposition are watching what you’re doing and they’re making changes as well."

https://www.givemesport.com/88071203-football-manager-2023-exclusive-how-hard-is-the-game

So.. I am playing with Lyon and this is my tactic.

Sometimes I adopt with balanced-positive approach (balanced is always better), sometimes i put PF on attack, sometimes AM L on IF support, sometims RB on FB attack. Mainly I don't change TI because for gegen press I believe this is ok and if I start to adopt this part of the game I would become lost.

But this is main principle. Although I believe this tactic is not so important, important is how to adapt.

What to change when you are playing against Monaco away, Bordeaux home or bottom teams as Auxerre home? How to adapt when someone is playing narrow or with wingers? How to know that now is it the time.

As I wrote before, tactic engine was never clear. For example - many players still do not know what will they got with balanced and what with positive mentality etc. So, how to know what to change? As Miles said, believe that is it only small tweaks

Snimka zaslona 2022-11-15 234258.png

I think more than to 'adapt' in FM 23 is how to react in a game against each opponent and there's not exact science here you need to achieve this from experience, I can tell you that you can start by playing each match in either comprehensive highlights or even full game (I usually play full game, It can take me a whole week to finish a season). You have to observe and analyze how your team and your tactic play against each opponent and then react accordingly.

Example: You're up against a team that starts to play high tempo and high pressing from the beginning you could react by going defensive and wear them out and hit them back after they get tired (no team can go full gegenpress the whole game) or if your team is physically and technically better than them you can counter press them back and basically bully them into making mistakes.

38 minutes ago, flauta kicma said:

So, how to know what to change?

I usually look for bad things that happen quite frequently for both my team and the opposition. Then I usually think about what I want to achieve with my changes and do adjust accordingly.

Its very important to think about what you are trying to achieve.

If you are not confident with what certain instructions do, I can recommend using the online manual for FM23.

An example could be that you notice, that the opposition is trying to play behind your defensive line. You either get highlights or notice it by them having a low pass completition. I usually then tend to ask my defensive line to drop off or to even lower it.

Another case would be if my attack breaks down without getting through the defense. I would properbly increase the tempo to circulate the ball more quickly and find the bit of space my players need.

Of course there are my more cases to make adjustments.