What's the most iconic England goal?

Astafjevs

What's the most iconic England goal?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. The most iconic England goal ever scored:

• Hurst vs. Germany (1966 World Cup final)
    • Platt vs. Belgium (1990 World Cup R16)
    • Gascoigne vs. Scotland (Euro 96 groups)
    • Owen vs. Argentina (1998 World Cup R16)
    • Beckham Vs Greece (2001 World Cup qualifier)
    • Other

Becks Vs Greece is the only one on the list that still gives me goosebumps. 

One of those games I remember quite vividly too, even though it was 20 years ago. We were so **** that day, and Becks ran around like a headless chicken all over the pitch completely ****ing up the formation but looking like the only player who cared.

Then that free kick in stoppage time was just perfect. Can still hear the net flex back as the ball hit it. 

But it was just a qualifier, so maybe loses iconic points for that.

Owen Vs Argentina will never get old. He looks like a 5 year old with superpowers darting through the entire Argentina defence.

Platt or Beckham. Biggest goals are the ones that decide games late on and make a difference between qualifying and not qualifying.

Geoff Hurst the game was already won. Michael Owen’s wondergoal counted for nothing by the end of the night. Gascoigne against Scotland we were already 1-0 up and the result wasn’t even that important with another group game still to come.

Probably give it to Beckham tbh. Even though it was a qualifier and not the finals. Because the difference between R16 and QF like Platt is surely not as big as the difference between qualifying and not being there at all.

Voted Beckham as that’s the goal I remember. I was 11 at the time… won’t have been old enough to remember anything in the 90s (certainly not to understand and appreciate the meaning of it all)

World Cup goal obviously the ‘biggest’ goal for England… but only a few of you on here will remember watching that live :D

Hurst is the obvious, and correct, answer. But I voted with my personal choice, the Gazza goal. Not only was it from Gazza, my favourite ever England player, but it was just ridiculous in terms of skill and execution, plus it was part of a tournament that meant so much to me as a football fan that I experienced in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Bootador said:

The most iconic thing about the Beckham goal for me was the that Greece goalkeeper was a George Clooney lookalike iirc (that's what we all decided at the time anyway)

What do you mean Greece goalkeeper.

Nikopolidis has as many international trophies as England in their history. :brock:

Hurst, but they're all definitely iconic in their own ways. Platt means the least to me, but I can see how it would mean a ton to anyone who saw it live. Owen against Argentina probably means little to anyone too young to have seen it live, but to me was one of the most magical moments I can ever remember, as an 8 year old watching the 2nd ever tournament I can remember (can only remember the penalty miss from 96 anyway). Gazza I can't remember seeing live, but can remember it being all that anyone ever tried to pull of in the playground for years afterward. Beckham v Greece might be the most mental I've ever gone after a goal, to cap a career defining performance, except any games I've been in the stadium for.

Hurst, for me, is the only one that transcends generations. Only SCR would have seen it live, but it's a part of all of our football history in a way that just feels bigger than the others.