Mental Attributes

18 minutes ago, RyanFM82 said:

What are the most important mental attributes that I should be looking for when signing new players (especially youth players)?

That depends on the roll. If you are looking for a defender Flair is definitely not the most useful ability but positioning is.

When buying and developing youngsters, if you got good facilities, coaching and some good mentors I think high potential and a good personality is way more important than starting good attributes.

10 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

That depends on the roll. If you are looking for a defender Flair is definitely not the most useful ability but positioning is.

When buying and developing youngsters, if you got good facilities, coaching and some good mentors I think high potential and a good personality is way more important than starting good attributes.

So mental attributes don't matter when looking for youth players? What about physical stats do they matter?

53 minutes ago, RyanFM82 said:

So mental attributes don't matter when looking for youth players? What about physical stats do they matter?

Yes, massively. But again it depends on the role. Strikers and wide players you would normally want pace and acceleration. Fullbacks you'd want pace, acceleration and stamina. Centrebacks you want jumping reach, strength and decent pace is a bonus etc.

For me physicals are very important and so are mental stats. Personality is another key one to look for in youth players. The more determined a personality they have the more likely they are to develop. If you get a great young player with a personality of 'unambitious' or 'temperamental' good luck getting them to develop or react well to events.

Attributes are also still very important. If you have a very good young striker with a finishing stat of 5 (There are tons in FM22 like this) they won't ever become top class. Same with the plethora of defenders that come through with a 6 for heading, they're never going to be good at centreback.

10 minutes ago, busngabb said:

Yes, massively. But again it depends on the role. Strikers and wide players you would normally want pace and acceleration. Fullbacks you'd want pace, acceleration and stamina. Centrebacks you want jumping reach, strength and decent pace is a bonus etc.

For me physicals are very important and so are mental stats. Personality is another key one to look for in youth players. The more determined a personality they have the more likely they are to develop. If you get a great young player with a personality of 'unambitious' or 'temperamental' good luck getting them to develop or react well to events.

Attributes are also still very important. If you have a very good young striker with a finishing stat of 5 (There are tons in FM22 like this) they won't ever become top class. Same with the plethora of defenders that come through with a 6 for heading, they're never going to be good at centreback.

Thats actually not true. Determination is so overrated. If you got a model citizen or a professional or a perfectionist with low determination they will develop just fine. Also you can raise determination easily with a tutor with a high determination(I seen some amazing improvements, more then 10 points in some cases, with the right tutor).

In my experience with youth development, if they got good personality and high enough potential they will develop just fine regardless of determination. Just make sure your training is good, you got some good tutors and you give them some game time while they still young.

13 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Thats actually not true. Determination is so overrated. If you got a model citizen or a professional or a perfectionist with low determination they will develop just fine. Also you can raise determination easily with a tutor with a high determination(I seen some amazing improvements, more then 10 points in some cases, with the right tutor).

In my experience with youth development, if they got good personality and high enough potential they will develop just fine regardless of determination. Just make sure your training is good, you got some good tutors and you give them some game time while they still young.

Yeah, I wasn't meaning the determination stat. I probably worded that really badly. Maybe I should have said 'the more professional a personality they have'...

5 minutes ago, busngabb said:

Yeah, I wasn't meaning the determination stat. I probably worded that really badly. Maybe I should have said 'the more professional a personality they have'...

Oh yeah, High professionalism is very very helpful with development.

Also look at the hidden attributes: consistency, temperament, injury proneness.

These can be scouted.

If a great attrbutes player also has poor consistency, which might only improve slightly with age, then thats a bit of a problem.

13 hours ago, RyanFM82 said:

I was searching for youth players with high determination, teamwork  and workrate for some reason.  It's good to know that the most important thing is personality.  Thank you all for your help.

If you can find a model citizen with loads of potential who is consistent and not injury prone you hit the lottery.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb 2feet:

Also look at the hidden attributes: consistency, temperament, injury proneness.

These can be scouted.

If a great attrbutes player also has poor consistency, which might only improve slightly with age, then thats a bit of a problem.

How do you scout hidden attributes?

8 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

with time.

Lol

41 minutes ago, Conardo said:

How do you scout hidden attributes?

When you scout a player, you get a hint of his hidden attributes in the report if these are good or bad. If the report is completed and you got no information about, for example, consistency, it means that the consistency of the player is just normal. Note that the reliability of this is always dependent on how good your scouts are.

26 minutes ago, el_manayer said:

When you scout a player, you get a hint of his hidden attributes in the report if these are good or bad. If the report is completed and you got no information about, for example, consistency, it means that the consistency of the player is just normal. Note that the reliability of this is always dependent on how good your scouts are.

Consistency, temperament and injury proneness takes time to scout, if you only scout a player once you probably wont know anything about those hidden attributes.

So dont scout once, get nothing about consistency and expect him to be "normally consistent".

3 hours ago, SergeiG said:

People should watch this video:

No, they really shouldn't. That guy is the worst, what he does can be compared to having 10 rocks in different colors, throwing them into the river and see if you hit any fish to find out what color is best for fish-catching with rocks. 
What he does have nothing to do with "experiments", you need control groups and a really high n-value/attempts before you can even start saying half the stupid stuff he does, that guy is just looking for clicks, he has no idea what he's doing.

4 hours ago, zindrinho said:

No, they really shouldn't. That guy is the worst, what he does can be compared to having 10 rocks in different colors, throwing them into the river and see if you hit any fish to find out what color is best for fish-catching with rocks. 
What he does have nothing to do with "experiments", you need control groups and a really high n-value/attempts before you can even start saying half the stupid stuff he does, that guy is just looking for clicks, he has no idea what he's doing.

He actually did(or his data analyst did).