Away games

I've raised it elsewhere, but I'm finding this year crazy. I started a new save after quitting because of the imbalance between home and away games. I've played 25 games, no losses at home, 9 losses away. It doesn't matter if I have more shots or a much higher xG, it seems like anything and everything I do does not work.

It has got to the stage where I am just expecting to lose every away game if teams are top or bottom of the table. I can beat a great City team at home 3-0, and then lose to bottom of the table Bournemouth 4-0 away the next game. I vary tactics, play a different defensive line, and have messed around with being both offensive and defensive. Nothing is working.

Can someone let me know if I'm just wasting my time, because this feels a bit fundamentally broken. 

20 minutes ago, Nator said:

Ok, so you’re saying it’s definitely something I’m doing, rather than an overpowering in the game itself for home teams?

Nobody can make a full judgement based on the details you have provided, but if it was a game issue, then lots of other users would also be raising this.  I therefore suspect that it could be a tactical issue that could be addressed.

I take all of this on board... I've owned and played each version extensively since 01/02 so I'd like to think I know what im doing.

If no one else is finding this to be the case then I'd be surprised. I'll leave it there.

On 09/11/2022 at 12:45, Jack Joyce said:

This is the second time I've seen someone mention home/away game balance in their feedback, but we're yet to see any convincing evidence that there's an issue.

image.png.dceb7ae2361c40bfcb0b174343fb253c.png

According to our statistics, people have a win rate of 66% at home and 51% away from home so far in FM23, which is within the ranges you can see from real football above, especially considering that a lot of people don't adapt their tactics for away matches.

The AI managers are a tougher challenge this year, which means that you might need to adjust your plans when you're away from home. Teams will have a plan to hurt you! Just to show the increased challenge this year - the overall win rate is 58%, when in FM22 it was 62%.

It was easier to get away with just playing the same plug-and-play tactic every match before than it is now.

This was the reply you got last time you asked, seems very much like a tactics problem to me.

Lots of shots and therefore high xG is not necessarily a good thing, quality chances over quantity any day.

2 hours ago, zindrinho said:

This was the reply you got last time you asked, seems very much like a tactics problem to me.

Lots of shots and therefore high xG is not necessarily a good thing, quality chances over quantity any day.

Exactly, I'll show a screenshot here of a telling xG story:

image.png.f94841314a6a0ca8e7fc46192aa30a9f.png

I won this match 2-1 and had the higher xG, deserved right? Nope. My team mostly struggled to create chances and we had loads of poor shots. The opponent, had 3 or 4 good chances, but luckily only managed a single goal. Look at the chances created:

image.png.03b8ca299180357a146f81b470c6b331.png

Sure, I hit the woodwork 3 times, but they had 4 CCCs while I had one.

For me, this is an example of how, on the surface, it seems like a very deserved win, but when looking deeper we got lucky and the opponent could easily have won it if they hadn't been unlucky/not skillful enough to finish their chances.

The next match I did something else and it worked much better:

image.png.fcfab7960a9c4f05eade005142b2d632.png

• FrazT locked this topic