Defending instructions

How much does everyone use the new specific defending instructions? And how effective are you finding them?

Also, does anybody know specifically what the defender is asked to do with either of these instructions?

image.png.9e75ef8d135756eaa52b7ee3c4a4135a.png

image.png.c4e1c2859d6df52bde0142c5572035d6.png

Stopping/inviting crosses could mean several things which aren't made too clear in the description. Is the defender being told to show the winger onto his weaker/stronger foot? Is he being told to show a right winger onto left foot/right foot? Is the defender being told to close down/stand off the winger? It isn't massively clear from the instruction.

I like the idea of the new instructions, they (in theory) mean that your defensive style can be tailored a little more than previously. But I would like to know what I'm actually asking the defence to do in these scenarios, above just saying 'let them cross.'

1 hour ago, The3points said:

What I believe is true is that Invite crosses tells defenders to stand off and sit narrower. Stop crosses mean they challenge the ball in wide areas.

If it were just that instruction, that would have been my assumption, too. But then we also have 'trap inside' or 'trap outside.' I assume that 'trap outside' means that the defenders should sit narrower. Which would surely mean that 'trap outside' and 'invite crosses' do essentially the same things, but I can't imagine that's the case.

I like the facts that we have more options, it would just be really helpful to know what each of them mean!

51 minutes ago, ryandormer said:

If it were just that instruction, that would have been my assumption, too. But then we also have 'trap inside' or 'trap outside.' I assume that 'trap outside' means that the defenders should sit narrower. Which would surely mean that 'trap outside' and 'invite crosses' do essentially the same things, but I can't imagine that's the case.

I like the facts that we have more options, it would just be really helpful to know what each of them mean!

I'm under the impression that the trapping instructions are for when the ball is further away from your goal, Your opponent's build up phase as it were.

So the crossing instructions are for your defensive 1/3  and the trapping instructions are for the middle and your opponent's defensive 1/3.

I could be wrong.

e.g You might want to force the other team wide and them win the ball in wide areas so you would have the instructions: Trap outside - Stop Crosses

Edited by Os

From my own personal experience my defense now is a bit more solid that I use neither. I definitely will not advise the 'stop crosses' instruction because it will drag your CBs out of position.

Defensive movement and positioning is so screwed up in this ME.

4 hours ago, ryandormer said:

As @Ossaid, trap inside means you force the opponent into the middle in buildup as a pressing "trap" where you outnumber them. Trap outside means that you use the touchline as another defender and mark all other options.

So the difference is pressing in their third vs defending in your 3rd

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Working very well in my lower league save. My central defenders and tall but slow. I push the oppo out wide and invite crosses, nutting them away to our hearts' content.

Conversely, in my save with Stabaek in Norway in my first season i used the same approach but after my 2 tall CBs are gone now all my defenders are like barely above 1,80 and 12 jumping reach and i use the opposite extreme. That definitely made the differences very clear and how both approaches differ. Really like that element to it.