England's chances in the Qatar World Cup?

thefmveteran86

England's chances in Qatar?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Given Southgate's 26 man squad how far can we go?

• Group stage and out?
    • Round of 16?
    • Quarter-Final?
    • Semi-Final?
    • Final?

Might have messed up the poll here but here we go, given Southgate's 26 man squad in your opinion, how far can the Three Lions get this year's tournament? given we've got no Tomori in defence but we've got Maddison in midfield/attack maybe very small chance but here's your chance to predict where we'll end up 

Your question was phrased as 'how far can they go?'. I think if other teams like France underperform and England get a lucky draw then they could go all the way to the final. I don't see any team on their half of the draw beating Argentina or Brazil.

I think a lot depends on how the groups play out.  But I think England should have no problems in the group or the next round, as they're likely to avoid Holland then.  After that if it is France that'll be difficult, but they have loads of injuries so I think it's a match they could get through.  But I do feel that if England were to make it to the semis they'd need more firepower.  So i'd expect them to fall there.  

As a minimum Quarter Finals, but with a bit of luck the Semis.

4 hours ago, mrw072 said:

I think a lot depends on how the groups play out.  But I think England should have no problems in the group or the next round, as they're likely to avoid Holland then.  After that if it is France that'll be difficult, but they have loads of injuries so I think it's a match they could get through.  But I do feel that if England were to make it to the semis they'd need more firepower.  So i'd expect them to fall there.  

As a minimum Quarter Finals, but with a bit of luck the Semis.

Didn't FIFA say Southgate have got till 20th for confirm his 26 man squad incase any injuries till then 

3 minutes ago, thefmveteran86 said:

Didn't FIFA say Southgate have got till 20th for confirm his 26 man squad incase any injuries till then 

You can replace injured players up to 24 hours before the first game. So England’s absolute absolute deadline is Sunday 20th, other teams that play later would have slightly more breathing space.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

You can replace injured players up to 24 hours before the first game. So England’s absolute absolute deadline is Sunday 20th, other teams that play later would have slightly more breathing space.

Ah so just the injured ones? imagine Maguire trips over his own ego and we get Tomori? 

On paper, quarters.

But Gareth has managed to drag an awful crop (probably worst squad pool since 1994) of entitled players with a laughable defence to a World Cup semi and penalties away from a Euro trophy. So semis.

On 12/11/2022 at 06:05, Barnzy said:

I mean that sounds like a successful tournament - Southgate’s been our 2nd most successful manager not sure it’s a bad thing having more Southgate but getting to more finals or semi finals 

We had such a comfortable draw in the Euros and it was the same with the world cup yet we lost to an okay Croatia, Southgate makes England very hard to watch.

6 hours ago, HoChiKim said:

We had such a comfortable draw in the Euros and it was the same with the world cup yet we lost to an okay Croatia, Southgate makes England very hard to watch.

Past England sides would've lost to Colombia on pens in 2018 and Germany in 90 last year though.

After squeaking through the groups with a 0-0 draw in the last game against bloody North Korea or Vatican City.

3 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Past England sides would've lost to Colombia on pens in 2018 and Germany in 90 last year though.

After squeaking through the groups with a 0-0 draw in the last game against bloody North Korea or Vatican City.

Haha maybe, football under Southgate has been turgid though and I highly doubt other managers would've scraped a draw against a poor Colombia, a decent manager would've beaten them comfortably I feel however who knows, even if we win the World Cup I'd still want Southgate to leave.

I voted SF because I think the draw will open up for them again. R16 should be a win, even if Holland somehow come 2nd. But there's something about France, even with Mbappé and Benzema, where I can see them coming 2nd or not getting past R16. And in that scenario there's another clear route to a SF

20 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

i'd rather watch exciting football and go out in the groups than watch boring defensive football and go further

tbh we've always been perfectly capable of boring defensive football and going out in the groups or first knockout round.

Highlight of our World Cup 2014 was a dead rubber 0-0 draw with Costa Rica.

Watched TIFO analysis of the group England's is in. While they said England has much better players than rest of them, they did emphasize that rest of the teams style doesn't really mash well with Gareth's. My understanding is that you guys will have a hard time against Wales and Iran, since they're compact, defend deep and plays up to your inability to create chances.

And honestly, the stat that you scored 8 out of 12 goals in the last EURO from set pieces is just... Mind boggling.

5 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Watched TIFO analysis of the group England's is in. While they said England has much better players than rest of them, they did emphasize that rest of the teams style doesn't really mash well with Gareth's. My understanding is that you guys will have a hard time against Wales and Iran, since they're compact, defend deep and plays up to your inability to create chances.

And honestly, the stat that you scored 8 out of 12 goals in the last EURO from set pieces is just... Mind boggling.

Sounds like scoring from set pieces will be important again then, so that's a strength not a weakness.

It's worth reminding ourselves that if we went by 'fan on the internet' picks, then Kane, Pickford, Sterling, Tripper, Shaw wouldn't have even made the plane for the very tournaments they dragged the team through to near unprecedented heights.

I ain't gonna question anything now. Gareth has clearly proved me wrong enough.

We have a great squad… but it’s not being utilised anywhere near to its potential.

England have been poor for a while now.

Wales are no slouches and USA have some good individuals (no idea how they play as a team)

Could see us stumbling at the first hurdle or completely dominate the group and show signs of a tournament win.

probably bumble our way through an easy on paper group and then lose to a team we should beat in the knockout rounds

I didn't want to create a new thread for this but I found both these stats remarkable. 

Harry Kane is the youngest named captain at this World Cup. Out of all the 32 sides.

There are just 19 players each in the entire World Cup based in the Netherlands or Portugal. Yet there are 26 from the EFL.

Edited by Mr Adam