NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

2002 we had Gary Neville and Gerrard out injured, and Shearer had retired. But 2000 and 2004 and 2006 we should have been right up there.

People going on about all the once-in-a-generation talent Gareth has got to play with. Still don’t think there are many players in the current squad that get into any of those teams.

Our centre back options themselves at the time - Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, King all better than our current options.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be alright today, Gareth will have everyone's feet on the ground.  But it's one of those.  Go through and it's "only Senegal".  Go out and it's a disaster and it probably would cost the great man his job this time.

Just need to try and get the job one with minimum fuss.  Hopefully no extra time or penalties required.  Bit like Ukraine at the Euros so another 4-0 would be nice.

I think it will be easy today, Can't see Senegal doing much to trouble us and their defence wont handle the attacking talents that we have in our ranks. I would keep the same team as against Wales. Saka will be a good option from the subs bench. 

3-0 Kane to get his 1st goals of the Tournament  

I watched Iran with my mate Sam in an Waxys Leicester Square. US game I was in another pub with other people. Wales game, Sam and I reunited and went back to Waxys. 

Now I'm not travelling an hour into central and going to Waxys on a Sunday night with work tomorrow. Instead I'm meeting Sam local and replacing Waxy's with another Irish pub in O'Neils. I feel like this should be enough to secure the win...

13 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I watched Iran with my mate Sam in an Waxys Leicester Square. US game I was in another pub with other people. Wales game, Sam and I reunited and went back to Waxys. 

Now I'm not travelling an hour into central and going to Waxys on a Sunday night with work tomorrow. Instead I'm meeting Sam local and replacing Waxy's with another Irish pub in O'Neils. I feel like this should be enough to secure the win...

The luck of the Irish will hopefully not be with you this time...

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Should be alright today, Gareth will have everyone's feet on the ground.  But it's one of those.  Go through and it's "only Senegal".  Go out and it's a disaster and it probably would cost the great man his job this time.

Just need to try and get the job one with minimum fuss.  Hopefully no extra time or penalties required.  Bit like Ukraine at the Euros so another 4-0 would be nice.

Feeling a 0-0 first half where we create like 2 chances but limit Senegal to very little, get a goal at about 53rd minute then see it out comfortably 2 or 3 nil. I hope. 

34 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Growing speculation that it's Saka on the right and Foden on the left. I'm kind of OK with that but feel like Rashford has done more than enough to warrant a start. I'd rather Rashford started from the left and Foden starts ahead of Mount.

I am a huge Rashford fan but it does make sense to keep him on the bench. And the reason is that he is a much bigger threat off the bench than others. Whatever the score is. If England is winning and tou put him on, he will be such a danger for the opposition. 

And if England won't be winning, him being fresher will give that extra edge, plus he has a good long shot to be used agains a very deep defence.

I'd be starting Rashford personally but it's nice to have so many legitimately good options and he's not exactly insane for picking Saka (as much as I criticised his USA performance) and Rashford off the bench is a very good option of course. Not just a well rounded 11 but a pretty well rounded squad overall, not sure any other squad has this level of depth? 

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I'd be starting Rashford personally but it's nice to have so many legitimately good options and he's not exactly insane for picking Saka (as much as I criticised his USA performance) and Rashford off the bench is a very good option of course. Not just a well rounded 11 but a pretty well rounded squad overall, not sure any other squad has this level of depth? 

Brazil do with their front 6 to be fair :D 

Edited by Smallen

Just now, Smallen said:

Brazil do with their front 6 to be fair :D 

Yeah very valid :D Was a genuine question as my football knowledge is garbage these days so my main thoughts were the likes of France who obviously have a massive chance of winning the thing but if they get 3 or 4 injuries/suspensions they're definitely weaker. 

Though also having said that our main strength in depth is in attacking areas, at centre back and in centre mid we're not anywhere near as strong. Basically I'm chatting **** :thup: 

Am I going crazy or did Foden play as part of a double pivot once under Southgate? Shoehorning our best players in not their natural positions has been a disaster over the years for England but I can remember him playing deep once and pinging balls around like prime Pirlo. Would be too late to experiment now but not sure why it can’t be revisited at some point. I get the picture that Southgate likes to play his players in the positions they play regularly at club level but it didn’t stop him putting Saka and trippier at LWB and Walker in a back 3. if I am right that Foden did play that role once for England, he was very good. 

I think you can make a case that we don't have a midfielder who is technically good enough and capable of carrying ball quickly and directly through central areas so even though Foden plays out wide for Man City (they have KdB and Bernado) there is an arguement to be made we should try him centrally.

I don't have an issue playing a player somewhere where they don't play for their club if it makes the team better. But then can Foden press centrally, hold his position and midfield shape etc. Pep and Southgate don't fancy it. Maybe in the future at Man City he will move into a central role and develop those skills

41 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I'm not an England fan but don't expect to ever see Foden in a central position under Southgate. I think he feels it's too much of a defensive liability. Even Pep prefers to use Foden wide..

Mostly because Pep has Silva/KDB for the CM part, one who has insane energy, other one of the best in World.

Bit like the argument for when Foden wasn't getting starts because he had D.Silva ahead of him. 

Foden will be CM in future, unless he turns into a ruthless goalscorer which makes it hard to drop him deeper.

3 hours ago, outlander said:

I am a huge Rashford fan but it does make sense to keep him on the bench. And the reason is that he is a much bigger threat off the bench than others. Whatever the score is. If England is winning and tou put him on, he will be such a danger for the opposition. 

And if England won't be winning, him being fresher will give that extra edge, plus he has a good long shot to be used agains a very deep defence.

He's also much more of a threat when the opposition is playing a high line or leaving gaps on the counter (or if they're utterly rubbish). Suspect Senegal will be tight and well organised at the back; good defence won them the AFCON

7 hours ago, The_jagster said:

I don't think Eriksson comes out that badly, Brazil and Portugal were good teams, and the only comparable level team we've beaten under Southgate in major tournaments is Germany. It's funny how Germany have failed recently but I still think it's a decent team.

McLaren, Capello and Hodgson was such a waste though, even if a few squads were a bit weak.

Think at best you have to say Eriksson deserves all the criticism Gareth gets for playing awkward tactical shapes and selections and being knocked out by the first decent team we played. Just happened to be earlier in knockouts, with a more balanced set of players to choose from. Comes down to international tournaments being hard to win and luck playing massive parts in it, golden generation or no golden generation, but we got closer with both of Southgate's attempts

6 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Kane obviously gets into 2002 side. But it hard because it was all 442 back then. Our wide players wouldn't fit and vice verse. Would Beckham fit into our 433 now

tbf, one of the biggest problems with that generation is it was kludged into a 442 or diamond even though (apart from Beckham) it didn't really suit any of the players. So you had Gerrard and Lampard in a midfield 2, and a role for the very limited Heskey because you couldn't possibly have your skilful players with great movement playing around your little man, they had to sit deep and hit the target man. At least our current awkward back 3 was created to cope with a squad that was on paper poor everywhere except up front but especially in defence in Gareth's first tournament and returned to because it worked, not because the manager didn't do other shapes.

Edited by enigmatic

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Finally got Gareth to drop Mount and he does for Henderson :/ 

The equivalent of Poland vs Poland there 😥

Henderson, or as I call him 'My mate Dave, cos he looks like my mate Dave', did alright last match and I kinda like the guy. Ultimate team player and H2O transporter, or whatever it's called.

Edited by Rebs

Bit harsh on Rashford.  But probably the best option off the bench if you want something fresh with half an hour to go.  Feels like there is more chance of him coming on in the second half and sniffing out a goal compared to Saka.  Squad game innit.

6 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

That really is a shocking team.

I'm pretty convinced that you'll go through, but Southgate is such a coward.

What's shocking about it? I'm impressed he's actually starting Foden. I mean, it took Sterling being completely unavailable, but it's something. 

• Administrators

Henderson shouldn’t be in that 11 though. Would prefer risking Phillips for the game time. So far it looks like a bunch of players on the bench won’t get much minutes at all. 
Dread to think what happens if Kane gets injured.