NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

I think, if Southgate left after this WC, they would approach Pochetino. Whether he'd take it or not, not sure. The job is way more attractive then it was 5 years ago. Before the job was a hiding to nothing but now a good manager will look at it and think 'hey, I could probably win something with them'

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Constantine said:

It wouldn't happen in a million years but... Gareth Ainsworth.

Hear me out. English. Great bloke all around. Tactically astute. Pragmatic. Likeable as ****. Did wonders without any money.

Lacks experience on the highest level but I'd take it over Southgate every time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

58 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Hear me out. English. Great bloke all around. Tactically astute. Pragmatic. Likeable as ****. Did wonders without any money.

Lacks experience on the highest level but I'd take it over Southgate every time.

Terrible bloke, terrible tactics and as likeable as a serious disease, sounds great.

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

I think, if Southgate left after this WC, they would approach Pochetino. Whether he'd take it or not, not sure. The job is way more attractive then it was 5 years ago. Before the job was a hiding to nothing but now a good manager will look at it and think 'hey, I could probably win something with them'

I’d be throwing money at Tuchel before looking at Pochettino. I’m not sure he would take it but I think it’s worth asking the question and making him a serious offer. 

1 hour ago, Constantine said:

image.jpeg.cb90175c2012029bb55edf7e02864cab.jpeg

1 hour ago, Constantine said:

Have you watched Wycombe play? You'd soon be calling for Southgate to come back after watching a Gareth Ainsworth side.

11 minutes ago, Adamm90 said:

Have you watched Wycombe play? You'd soon be calling for Southgate to come back after watching a Gareth Ainsworth side.

Just taking the ****, folks. Previous poster asked for English managers that nurture attacking style of play so, naturally, Ainsworth first came to mind :D

Edit: Still respect the dude and everything he's done. My friend, who's a massive Wycombe fan, worship the man

Edited by Constantine

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Poch did an interview with the Athletic in the last couple of weeks and didn't shoot down the idea of managing England fwiw.

31 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Says the man who has been playing Kyle Walker as a centre back 

Basically saying “It was a tight game, and we didn’t want to open things up just in case we conceded”.

Now, pretty much backed himself into a situation where Foden can only play on the wings, or if a 3-5-2, not at all. 

Even though Sterling played great first game, Foden/Saka on the wings are the form players this season. Give them one game together :( Don’t make it into a generation of Foden or Saka.

59 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Basically saying “It was a tight game, and we didn’t want to open things up just in case we conceded”.

Now, pretty much backed himself into a situation where Foden can only play on the wings, or if a 3-5-2, not at all. 

Even though Sterling played great first game, Foden/Saka on the wings are the form players this season. Give them one game together :( Don’t make it into a generation of Foden or Saka.

Don't think Gareth's ever worried about actually being consistent with his media pronouncements :D 

And yeah, obvious what he actually meant is "the game was tight and we weren't getting the ball anywhere near where Foden is most effective anyway"

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

Ffs :D Rice, Henderson and Mount is such a dull midfield

No problems with Bellingham coming out, Guy has literally played every minute going this season :D But that is a dull midfield either way. 

It’s Wales anyway, as long as we keep hold of the ball we’ll get chances from them being crap. Just wonder if Phillips will come off bench to match his premier league appearances of 1 minute this season.

It’ll be interesting. One of the issues we had vs USA was that the full backs played too wide in build up, so I’d like to think if it’s Walker right back and Trippier left back they’ll play in-field a bit more and give us better passing options rather than Maguire and Stones passing it between themselves. Worth trying.

I still don’t get why Henderson is playing though.

34 minutes ago, Smallen said:

It’ll be interesting. One of the issues we had vs USA was that the full backs played too wide in build up, so I’d like to think if it’s Walker right back and Trippier left back they’ll play in-field a bit more and give us better passing options rather than Maguire and Stones passing it between themselves.

Worth trying.

Issue usually we encounter when we do this, the three in midfield rarely want the ball on the half turn, so just becomes very congested, especially against a side that’s happy to pack the middle. Usually have wingers that want to cut in too which makes it more of an issue.

An early goal changes all that, doesn’t come, it gets bad. 

On 26/11/2022 at 10:29, GunmaN1905 said:

An Argentinian on England's bench? Game is truly gone. :D

Not to go off on a targent but English were historically one of the largest immigrant groups in Argentina tbf. Not in the realms of madness, albeit something I had little clue about till a while back. :D

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

We'll grind out a 1-0 playing 3 at the back and its what we'll play for the rest of the tournament 

Said this the other day, if he wants to play the back three in the knockouts against better teams then we have to try and give Kyle Walker some game time tonight.

But if we set up like that tonight it’s not because he thinks we can’t beat Wales any other way.

Either way I’d try and get Foden in.

Edited by Rob1981

Not got an issue with bringing in Henderson for Jude for this game if that rumour is indeed true. We're basically through anyway and you can't play your first 11 every game from the start. Rest 2-3 outfield players for this one ahead of the round of 16 game. 

Walker, Phillips and Maddison all need minutes so hopefully all three feature here, sounds like Walker will start. Would like to see Phillips and Maddison get at least 30 minutes though. 

Said this mostly in jest yesterday, but the more I look at the table... can’t we just gift Wales a 1-0 win and let Iran win the group?

We get to avoid France, the Welshies get the bragging rights, all the Southgate haters get to moan even more...

Everyone’s happy, surely?

Might actually watch Iran v USA tonight. Our game will either be a car crash or a meaningless win, Iran can make genuine WC history if they reach R16 for the first time.

11 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Said this mostly in jest yesterday, but the more I look at the table... can’t we just gift Wales a 1-0 win and let Iran win the group?

We get to avoid France, the Welshies get the bragging rights, all the Southgate haters get to moan even more...

Everyone’s happy, surely?

Might actually watch Iran v USA tonight. Our game will either be a car crash or a meaningless win, Iran can make genuine WC history if they reach R16 for the first time.

Presents an easier QF but then puts you in the half with Brazil and Spain.

Winning the group probably means a tough France QF, but then the rest of that half is considerably better. Portugal are the next biggest team. It has the winners of Croatia/Morocco/Belgium group, which you'd love in your half really.