NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Times.

James Maddison is a significant doubt for England’s opening World Cup game against Iran on Monday as the midfielder struggles to overcome a knee injury. Maddison missed a second consecutive day of group training at England’s base in Doha on Friday afternoon as the 25-year-old completed another solo session indoors. The Times understands that England are unlikely to send Maddison home and call up a replacement before Sunday’s squad deadline for the group B opener at the Khalifa International Stadium, with medical staff confident they can get him fit for the following games.

Maddison had been optimistic about being available for selection after his surprise call-up last week in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man squad, but continues to manage his workload with the England physio team. He emerged on to the training pitch at the team’s Al Wakrah Sports Club base but, for the second day running, was only present for assistant manager Steve Holland’s team talk before returning indoors. The Leicester City midfielder injured his knee this month and was forced off after 25 minutes of their Premier League game against West Ham United last Saturday. Maddison was a surprise inclusion in Southgate’s squad, which was announced prior to the game against West Ham. He has only one cap for England but returned to the squad for the World Cup after a three-year absence.

“I wanted to play, I didn’t want to not give it a go because of the World Cup,” Maddison said earlier this week. “That’s not the person I am. I didn’t want to have that attitude, I wanted to help Leicester because the focus was still there and managed to obviously score early and carry on for a little bit after that. “But there was a bit of soreness and it was getting a little bit worse as the game went on, so I thought it was probably for the best for me to come off and get someone else on who wouldn’t have that problem in the full sprint and that full extent.” Asked whether it would impact his involvement at the tournament in Qatar, Maddison said: “I hope not, no. We’ve got to tick a few boxes with the physio team, there might be a bit of separate work, extra work to make sure it’s right and not a problem because I want to be fully, 100 per cent if called upon. I’m hopeful I will be fine.” England are already set to be without Kyle Walker, the Manchester City defender, who has not played a competitive game since October 2 after recovering from shoulder surgery.

I've been roped into a couple of site visits on Monday afternoon, gutted. Instead of watching the match I'll be driving round London and looking at muddy fields. Meeting an Irish groundworker and French engineer, so doubt I'll have much sympathy from them.

I thought moving it to November and December meant the temperatures would be down to maybe 19-22 degrees or something? Have I got that wrong? Does it never go that cold in Qatar, or is it still just unseasonably hot over there?

Looks like it is going to be 27-28 at least for our kickoffs, even USA game which is 10pm local time.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

I thought moving it to November and December meant the temperatures would be down to maybe 19-22 degrees or something? Have I got that wrong? Does it never go that cold in Qatar, or is it still just unseasonably hot over there?

Looks like it is going to be 27-28 at least for our kickoffs, even USA game which is 10pm local time.

Looking at Wikipedia and the *average* high in November is still 30 degrees :D Looks like Jan/Feb is when you get temperatures that would be decent for playing football in.

9 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, those are the same temperatures you'd get in June/July in most European countries, 2006 Germany had a handful of early afternoon matches played at 35C+.

The climate catastrophe means European summers are borderline too hot to be playing sport in tbh, and it's only going to get worse.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

18 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

The climate catastrophe means European summers are borderline too hot to be playing sport in tbh, and it's only going to get worse.

Depends on how accustomed you are to it. :D

If we look at top leagues, Italy and Spain don't play before late hours during August.

England and Germany obviously have don't get that hot, so it's fine for you guys, but playing at even 5pm during August is unimaginable in most mediterranean cities. And when the summer is at it's peak, mainly during CL/EL qualifying rounds, it's borderline unplayable even at 9pm on some days. It literally doesn't drop below 28-30C even during the middle of the night. And it's always been like that. It's just that now the heat is spreading North, due to climate issues and us ruining the ecosystem.

Edited by GunmaN1905

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11446811/England-captain-Harry-Kane-wear-One-Love-armband-World-Cup-opener-against-Iran.html

Harry Kane will defy FIFA and the FA will risk a fine by wearing their One Love armbands on Monday against Iran after FIFA tried to out flank them yesterday by announcing their own official armband slogan campaign.

The issue of captains’ armbands has been contentious ever since eight UEFA nations, including Germany, Denmark, Wales and Holland, announced they would wear One Love armbands as a sign of their commitment to gay rights and in support of human rights.

FIFA launched their own armband initiative yesterday, with captains in the first round instructed to wear an armband with the slogan #FootballUnitesTheWorld.

FIFA are likely to fine nations who veer from official FIFA diktats but will be weighing up how ridiculous they will look if they impose fines of nations over the issue.

The FA have said that they respect FIFA’s initiative but both them and Wales FA have insisted they will stick with their plan to wear One Love armbands.

49 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

It should average about 30 degrees during the day and doesn't really dip below 27-28 even during the middle of the night. Missus said last week it was 32 but it often feels warmer than what the actual temperature is showing.

40 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, those are the same temperatures you'd get in June/July in most European countries, 2006 Germany had a handful of early afternoon matches played at 35C+.

Yeah the temperatures aren't anything unnatural. There's been warmer World Cups. And the next one could be hotter in places in Mexico or Texas for example. I think it's more a case of, particularly for European nations, it's a bit of a shock going from our winter to suddenly playing tournament football in the dry Middle Eastern heat with little time to acclimatise. Could work well for the South American nations, though even then the majority of their top players are playing in Europe anyway.

7 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It should average about 30 degrees during the day and doesn't really dip below 27-28 even during the middle of the night. Missus said last week it was 32 but it often feels warmer than what the actual temperature is showing.

Yeah the temperatures aren't anything unnatural. There's been warmer World Cups. And the next one could be hotter in places in Mexico or Texas for example. I think it's more a case of, particularly for European nations, it's a bit of a shock going from our winter to suddenly playing tournament football in the dry Middle Eastern heat with little time to acclimatise. Could work well for the South American nations, though even then the majority of their top players are playing in Europe anyway.

To be fair, this has been the mildest October/November in a while and as you said, players have experiences of quick climate changes.

Also depends on where the players are from.

For exampe, teams like Spain, Portugal or Croatia will have no issues whatsoever of adapting to those conditions, more or less the same as we have during the summer.

I think that heavy timezone change is a way bigger shock than sudden 20C extra temperature.

Edited by GunmaN1905

53 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yep, and a load of the matches were terrible :D 

Super hot weather and squeezing the group stage into fewer days so there isn’t as much rest between matches. Going to be a big factor for teams.

22 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yep, and a load of the matches were terrible :D 

Super hot weather and squeezing the group stage into fewer days so there isn’t as much rest between matches. Going to be a big factor for teams.

Croatia-Japan was played at 3pm during one of the hottest days ever in Nurnburg.

I think it was probably even 40C at the start, definitely at least 38C.

0-0, as expected.

22 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Ironic that we were told that this World Cup was going to be beneficial because our players would be at their peak instead of burnt out after a long gruelling season and they all looked finished after 1 training session :D 

I think that players who reach the semi-finals will be completely out of for like a month after they return.

Other leagues at least have some kind of break until early to mid January, no way finalists play Boxing day matches.

5 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Doesn't matter where you base yourself, if you're playing in Dallas in June it's going to be circa 35 degrees.

One of my favorite NBA events was when during a mid-June finals game in San Antonio, AC in the arena completely stopped working and soon after Lebron had to get carried off the court, his muscles cramped because of all the heat.
To this day Miami fans claim it was done on purpose. :lol:

Edited by GunmaN1905

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

And the next one could be hotter in places in Mexico or Texas for example.

Texas shouldn't be a problem, both stadiums have roofs. If FIFA is sensible :lol: they'll mandate all the games to be played under the roof. Monterrey will be 35c+ so will probably be problematic, would be best if they're all evening games. Guadalajara humidity will be the problem if it isn't chucking it down, and Mexico City will be ok because temperature is mediated by altitude. I'd worry about the East Coast too, because some of the temperature and humidity extremes seen there in recent summers have been bad, though we saw that huge 40c+ spike in the PNW so nowhere is really immune to high temperatures in the US summer.

3 minutes ago, The Golden boy said:

Texas shouldn't be a problem, both stadiums have roofs. If FIFA is sensible :lol: they'll mandate all the games to be played under the roof. Monterrey will be 35c+ so will probably be problematic, would be best if they're all evening games. Guadalajara humidity will be the problem if it isn't chucking it down, and Mexico City will be ok because temperature is mediated by altitude. I'd worry about the East Coast too, because some of the temperature and humidity extremes seen there in recent summers have been bad, though we saw that huge 40c+ spike in the PNW so nowhere is really immune to high temperatures in the US summer.

The altitude could be an issue for some teams in Mexico City too. Miami will be an experience at that time of year, I think that's wet season isn't it?

Edited by Weezer

7 minutes ago, Weezer said:

The altitude could be an issue for some teams in Mexico City too. Miami will be an experience at that time of year, I think that's wet season isn't it?

Mexico City is no La Paz. Though I suspect anyone playing there who might not be used to playing at altitude might want to play a pre-WC friendly to acclimatise. 

Miami will be hot and wet. Start of the hurricane season is in June but first couple of months you only get a few tropical storms (this year, the first of which hit southern Florida at the beginning of June). Otherwise, you kind of know that it'll be hot and humid during the day and you're never too far away from a big thunderstorm.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/christian-pulisic-world-cup-usa-28528959

The USMNT landed in Doha a few days ago ahead of the World Cup, but have already been seen sticking to their culture by munching burgers.

Football stars are known for their healthy eating and strict diets, something that has become essential to keep up with the intensity of the modern game. And the USMNT are no different, even though traditional American foods aren't exactly known for their health benefits.

The USMNT are keen to impress at the World Cup this year, after failing to qualify for the previous tournament in 2018. And in an attempt to feel at home, they've been filmed eating burgers just days before their opening game against Wales.

Christian Pulisic was seen tucking into a burger meal

I'm not sure what sports scientists would make of this but it bodes well for England if America isn't taking this seriously enough.

4 hours ago, sc91 said:

The humidity in the US summer is the killer. Like breathing in pure moisture is absolutely draining. 

I was there from April - Sept 2015 and the bloody heat and humidity followed us round. In Alaska it was the hottest temperature ever recorded on the days we were there ffs. :lol:

5 hours ago, The Golden boy said:

Mexico City is no La Paz. Though I suspect anyone playing there who might not be used to playing at altitude might want to play a pre-WC friendly to acclimatise. 

Miami will be hot and wet. Start of the hurricane season is in June but first couple of months you only get a few tropical storms (this year, the first of which hit southern Florida at the beginning of June). Otherwise, you kind of know that it'll be hot and humid during the day and you're never too far away from a big thunderstorm.

It's closer than you'd expect. The lower reaches of Mexico City are about 2/3's the altitude of central La Paz and the mountains around it can get to 5,000m. There probably aren't major issues relating to breathing but then again I don't know about trying strenuous physical activity. I know from personal experience that it's high enough for the temperature to drop much more than you'd expect overnight.

Maddison definitely not featuring tomorrow then if he is still not up to training with the rest of the squad. But we’ve just passed the absolute final FIFA deadline for replacing injured players, this is 24 hours before your first game (so different for different teams).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20487394/england-world-cup-walker-maddison-miss-iran-opener/

GARETH SOUTHGATE has confirmed Kyle Walker and James Maddison will miss England's World Cup opener against Iran on Monday.

But the Three Lions' boss hinted Harry Maguire and Raheem Sterling will start, despite their troubled club seasons.

uh oh! :( 

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

I can see it being back 3 from word go. Zero warm up games to try different things, so need to get drilled in a shape that's going to be used in latter stages and that's a 3 for gareth :( 

This is it. We we shouldn’t need the more defensive system to beat Iran. But then we’ve had no warmup games at all this time and maybe Maguire is short on confidence. I can see us using tomorrow to blow the cobwebs off and give everyone the game time together. Assuming we are planning to switch to that system if we reach the knockout stage.