FM23 Performance Benchmarking Thread

18 hours ago, maximo1491 said:

Benchmark 3: 04 min 41 Sec (seemed suspiciously fast, so tested again and hit 4 min 45 secs)

I have no idea how my 7900 was that fast on a benchmark 3 (I had 4 minutes 43 seconds there), but I managed to hit 4 min 32 seconds today!

Moved my football manager folders to a new NVME SSD and wanted to test how much of a difference it makes and was shocked when I got ~4:30 ( and did a second run with video recording that hit 4:32 - https://streamable.com/no5e01)

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Desu said:

I have no idea how my 7900 was that fast on a benchmark 3 (I had 4 minutes 43 seconds there), but I managed to hit 4 min 32 seconds today!

Moved my football manager folders to a new NVME SSD and wanted to test how much of a difference it makes and was shocked when I got ~4:30 ( and did a second run with video recording that hit 4:32 - https://streamable.com/no5e01)

It sounds like you have been heavily tweaking to improve your performance to get to those levels. The 7900 should not beat a 7900X or 7950X, certainly not at stock settings - there is a 200-300MHz boost clock difference. You must have got very lucky with your silicon. What kind of cooling do you have on the CPU?

On 23/03/2023 at 23:14, maximo1491 said:

Type: Desktop

Model: Custom

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

CPU Base Frequency: 4.20 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.70 GHz

RAM: 32GB DDR5

RAM Clockspeed: 6000Mhz

GPU: 6GB RTX 2060

Graphics Level in 3D: Very High

Storage Type:  NVME SSD (WD Black SN850X)

Could not select game mode in the windows game bar for some reason so had to manually assign it to the 16 high cache cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 37 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 30 Sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 41 Sec (seemed suspiciously fast, so tested again and hit 4 min 45 secs)

Benchmark 4: 14 min 05 Sec

Not changing anything and letting it use all cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 39 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 12 Sec

Benchmark 3: 05 min 20 Sec

Benchmark 4: 10 min 26 Sec

Thx for this. This is great data. Windows actively tanks AMD hardware with their scheduler, so you'll be even better when they fix that... only problem could be that if there is some kind of cartel agreement, that fix to assign all the cores seamlessly for AMD won't come until Windows 12 around Christmas 2024. But I'd be happy with this CPU. I'd would not even upgrade that CPU until I tested it with W12 tbh. I do advise you to check out Project Lasso to handle that CPU better.

Btw, @Brother Ben , just a quick heads up. I was running 132GB of ram in my bench. That is supported through hardware updates since 2022. I even set some aside for virtual machine, SSD and pagefile (on that VM) as well, hence the strange nr. It's not 32Gb like you listed in the spreadsheet.

Edited by Jolyon Chen
typos

8 hours ago, Jolyon Chen said:

Btw, @Brother Ben , just a quick heads up. I was running 132GB of ram in my bench. That is supported through hardware update since 2022. I even some aside for virtual machine, SSD and pagefile (on that VM) as well, hence the strange nr. It's not 32Gb like you listed in the spreadsheet.

Apologies I assumed it was a typo

2 hours ago, xenomorphing said:

Gonna try to benchmark both this weekend or next week at the latest.

Good luck. Will be interesting to see what the difference will be compared to the results @maximo1491 got when they used only the 3D V-Cache cores on their 7950X3D.

Itching to build a whole new system myself, just waiting for parts to become available and some component pricing to drop a little bit.

6 hours ago, xenomorphing said:

7950x3d was never in stock. Decided to settle on a 7800x3d bought on launch which arrives tomorrow. Currently got a 7600x. Gonna try to benchmark both this weekend or next week at the latest.

I'd be very interested to see the results. The 7800X3D is supposed to be the best value CPU out atm, but I don't think that will translate to FM due to the benchmark results of the 7950X3D on here.

There's a system I'm looking at that has a 7600X and it would be interesting to see if that beats an i5 13600k, which was a system I was also looking at that went out of stock. Both are paired with a RTX 4070 Ti for just over £2000 which I think is a good deal.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Since i never run this cpu at default, I also included a test with my settings.

Model: Custom built

CPU Model: amd Ryzen 7600x

CPU Base Frequency: 4.7 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.3 GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 6200Mhz 36cls

GPU: msi rtx 4090 suprim x

Graphics Level in 3D: very high (max)

DEFAULT CPU CONFIG

Benchmark 1: 41 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 49 Sec

Benchmark 3: 05 min 17 Sec

85 watt cap (PBO PPT limit) + PBO CURVE OPTIMISER -25

Benchmark 2: 01 min 50 Sec

Benchmark 3: 05 min 15 Sec

So for al you ryzen 7000 users out there, just a heads up, above settings maintain the same performance, at a lower power consumption, and most important, at a lower temperature (taking this test as reference: from 80-85 avg to 60-65 avg)

@mstrmind5 @Gee_Simpson I think i can make the 7800x3d perform close to the same to its non x3d variants with several tweaks, which would make it a nobrainer. 7800x3d test this weekend hopefully.

Edited by xenomorphing

Here we go with the 7800x3d, gonna do the rest of the tests later today or tomorrow.

Model: Custom built

CPU Model: amd Ryzen 7800x3d

CPU Base Frequency: 4.2 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.0 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 6200Mhz 36cls

GPU: msi rtx 4090 suprim x

Graphics Level in 3D: very high (max)

Benchmark 1: 42 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01m 41s

Benchmark 3: 04m 49s

Benchmark 4: will be done tomorrow

PBO CURVE OPTIMISER -30

Benchmark 2: 01 min 38s

Benchmark 3: 04 min 47s

Benchmark 4: will be done tomorrow

Interestingly enough, the pbo curve tweak gave extremely small gains, while it did give bigger gains in other games and benchmarks.

I think it's safe to say that cache absolutely does help. Its almost topping the charts for benchmark 3 and that with 8 cores at lower clocks than the other 7000 cpus. (I know FM does multithreading extremely poorly, but the clock argument still counts)

Edited by xenomorphing

Type: Laptop XMG APEX 15 MAX

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor              

CPU Base Frequency: 3.40 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.9 GHz

RAM: 16GB 

GPU: NVIDIA RTX3060

Benchmark 1: 00:58sec

Benchmark 2: 02min 36sec

Benchmark 3: 06min 51sec

Benchmark 4: 25 min 36 Sec

Edited by lizard2771

18 hours ago, lizard2771 said:

Type: Laptop XMG APEX 15 MAX

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor              

CPU Base Frequency: 3.40 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.9 GHz

RAM: 16GB 

GPU: NVIDIA RTX3060

Benchmark 1: 00:58sec

Benchmark 2: 02min 36sec

Benchmark 3: 06min 51sec

Benchmark 4: 25 min 36 Sec

Thats an insane laptop, amazing bit of kit

I'm trying to decide on what laptop to buy for work and FM. I've narrowed it down to the 14" M1 or the 14" M2 Macbook Pros but I'm interested in how fast one is on my own save as they seem fast but when there is detail also loaded then they do lose out.

I have a 5800X3D and my time was 2 minutes 31 secs which puts my cpu around Benchmark 2.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me benchmark my save. Holiday between 28th November 2024 - 5th December 2024.

My Benchmark link

On 16/04/2023 at 11:02, Undeniableturnip said:

I'm trying to decide on what laptop to buy for work and FM. I've narrowed it down to the 14" M1 or the 14" M2 Macbook Pros but I'm interested in how fast one is on my own save as they seem fast but when there is detail also loaded then they do lose out.

I have a 5800X3D and my time was 2 minutes 31 secs which puts my cpu around Benchmark 2.

I would be really grateful if someone could help me benchmark my save. Holiday between 28th November 2024 - 5th December 2024.

My Benchmark link

Tell you what, I'll do you a deal. 

You do the benchmarks on this thread and then i'll do yours ?   :thup:

6 hours ago, Sangue Blu said:

So Intel is the new king

You shouldn't decipher that from this chart. You'd need to know the vrm power phases as they influence how precisely the voltage can be "send" to the CPU (roughly said), and then, we need to know which cpu cooler everyone used too, as that then shows if the user can max out the CPU before thermal throttling, edp limit throttling, ring throttling etc etc. I mean, I'm running a 13900ks on a slightly underpowered motherboard, and when I tested that chip in a maxed out Z690 board of a friend I hit 09:30 (only requiring 288W, wth Intel) on average over 3 runs in Benchmark 4. But that friend runs a noctua and I run a 360mm AIO, so that dilutes the accuracy of the result again, and then you have people turning on ECO mode, not turning on the right energy mode and companies turning on Multicore Enhancement and posting in here, bla... bla...bla, everyone should test on stock settings, with the same systems and then we could tell. Bottom line: The fact Intel and Windows had the scheme so hard running a windows scheduler and letting AMD rely on third party implementation on per game adjustment with the Xbox Game Bar or project Lasso, should you tell that AMD is prob faster on pure CPU power, although if it would make you happy I'd happily do that maxed out mobo run and to go topping all the charts here, just to say INTEL IS KING! :D

Edited by Jolyon Chen
Added link

11 hours ago, Jolyon Chen said:

You shouldn't decipher that from this chart. You'd need to know the vrm power phases as they influence how precisely the voltage can be "send" to the CPU (roughly said), and then, we need to know which cpu cooler everyone used too, as that then shows if the user can max out the CPU before thermal throttling, edp limit throttling, ring throttling etc etc. I mean, I'm running a 13900ks on a slightly underpowered motherboard, and when I tested that chip in a maxed out Z690 board of a friend I hit 09:30 (only requiring 288W, wth Intel) on average over 3 runs in Benchmark 4. But that friend runs a noctua and I run a 360mm AIO, so that dilutes the accuracy of the result again, and then you have people turning on ECO mode, not turning on the right energy mode and companies turning on Multicore Enhancement and posting in here, bla... bla...bla, everyone should test on stock settings, with the same systems and then we could tell. Bottom line: The fact Intel and Windows had the scheme so hard running a windows scheduler and letting AMD rely on third party implementation on per game adjustment with the Xbox Game Bar or project Lasso, should you tell that AMD is prob faster on pure CPU power, although if it would make you happy I'd happily do that maxed out mobo run and to go topping all the charts here, just to say INTEL IS KING! :D

I'd say its as close as its been since I started doing these benchmarks.  I'm way past looking at it scientifically though as with the addition of P & E cores etc and for all the reasons mentioned by yourself its become REALLY hard to compare side by side.  All of your points are spot on.

I guess the way I see it is that someone will come on this thread and look at the benchmarks decide which is closest to how they play FM and then buy the best processor on the chart that their budget will allow.  If that helps someone make a more educated choice then its all been worthwhile.

5 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I guess the way I see it is that someone will come on this thread and look at the benchmarks decide which is closest to how they play FM and then buy the best processor on the chart that their budget will allow.  If that helps someone make a more educated choice then its all been worthwhile.

This thread helped me with my choice a year or so ago. I would encourage anyone who isn't sure about what spec/CPU etc they want to take a look at the results but also to read the thread as there are some very good posts on it!

Type: Steam deck

Model: NA

CPU Model: AMD APU, CPU: Zen 2, 4 cores 8 threads

CPU Base Frequency: 2.4 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 3.5 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 

GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Benchmark 1: 02 min 23 Sec

Benchmark 2: 06 min 25 Sec

Benchmark 3: 18 min 00 Sec

Benchmark 4: xx min xx Sec

13 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

I'd say its as close as its been since I started doing these benchmarks.  I'm way past looking at it scientifically though as with the addition of P & E cores etc and for all the reasons mentioned by yourself its become REALLY hard to compare side by side.  All of your points are spot on.

Me too, I only bought these back up furnace CPUs to play this game maxed out with 300 leagues after checking this topic and this topic alone for over... 4 years. It's still the best on the net without breaking into same data center :applause:

Admins should pin this page in all honesty.

5 hours ago, Jolyon Chen said:

Me too, I only bought these back up furnace CPUs to play this game maxed out with 300 leagues after checking this topic and this topic alone for over... 4 years. It's still the best on the net without breaking into same data center :applause:

Admins should pin this page in all honesty.

Cheers Jolyon. 

I've spent more money than I care to admit on systems exclusively for FM too.  I always moan though if I can't find the game itself for a discount!  :D

On 23/04/2023 at 08:32, Brother Ben said:

Cheers Jolyon. 

I've spent more money than I care to admit on systems exclusively for FM too.  I always moan though if I can't find the game itself for a discount!  :D

How much would you say you have spent on systems for FM in total? 😅

On 25/04/2023 at 00:44, Gee_Simpson said:

How much would you say you have spent on systems for FM in total? 😅

Oh god don't ask!

I imagine you've spent a fair bit yourself!

I remember the most being in the late 90's when systems were expensive and I wasn't earning as much.  So reletively speaking I was saving and spending all I had so I could max out the leagues in Champ Man.  The first PC I remember getting had a Cyrix P166+ processor that ran at an astonishing 133MHz :D

so I've been playing around with my steam deck for the past 3/4 days to see how much performance I can squeeze out of it without killing it. 

I ended up undervolting the CPU, SOC and GPU the sweet spot for me was -40 for the CPU, -30 for the SOC and -30 on the GPU although I was able to go -55,-55,-50.

I then increased the TDP from the stock 15W to 23W (I was able to push it to 25W but it wasn't stable and the temps of both CPU and GPU were hitting 100C)

Lastly, I overclocked both the CPU and GPU. Obviously the GPU is less important for FM however I went for CPU 4.1Ghz and 2Ghh on the GPU. While testing with FM the CPU never went over 4Ghz.

I ran the benchmarks again and the results are impressive for benchmark C

RAM Clockspeed: 

Benchmark 1: 02 min 05 Sec

Benchmark 2: 06 min 00 Sec

Benchmark 3: 15 min 48 Sec

1 hour ago, DarJ said:

so I've been playing around with my steam deck for the past 3/4 days to see how much performance I can squeeze out of it without killing it. 

I ended up undervolting the CPU, SOC and GPU the sweet spot for me was -40 for the CPU, -30 for the SOC and -30 on the GPU although I was able to go -55,-55,-50.

I then increased the TDP from the stock 15W to 23W (I was able to push it to 25W but it wasn't stable and the temps of both CPU and GPU were hitting 100C)

Lastly, I overclocked both the CPU and GPU. Obviously the GPU is less important for FM however I went for CPU 4.1Ghz and 2Ghh on the GPU. While testing with FM the CPU never went over 4Ghz.

I ran the benchmarks again and the results are impressive for benchmark C

RAM Clockspeed: 

Benchmark 1: 02 min 05 Sec

Benchmark 2: 06 min 00 Sec

Benchmark 3: 15 min 48 Sec

Impressive for a PC handheld! Thank you for doing this, very informative. Do you plan on buying the ASUS ROG ALLY or are you waiting for the Steam Deck 2.0?

Edited by FourFiveOne

8 minutes ago, FourFiveOne said:

Impressive for a PC handheld! Thank you for doing this, very informative. Do you plan on buying the ASUS ROG ALLY or are you waiting for the Steam Deck 2.0?

If I didn’t have the steam deck I would have considered the Ally but after using the touchpad on the Deck I don’t know if I would be able to live without it so I will be waiting for the Steam Deck 2.0

Here's another Steam Deck benchmark. Bear in mind I bought the 64GB version but upgraded the M.2 drive to a 1TB Sabrent drive for faster read and write speeds. APU at stock speeds.

RAM Clockspeed: 

Benchmark 1: 02 min 20 Sec

Benchmark 2: 06 min 47 Sec

Benchmark 3: 18 min 02 Sec

Oh and if anyone wants to find out the save game location for Football Manager 23 on the Steam Deck it is in the following location:

/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1904540/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2023/games

You'll need to allow for hidden files to be visible. Maybe the 1904540 will be a different number for other users. Not sure. Maybe someone on Google will find this. :)

Edited by Redshift

Also, I have a Windows 10 Dual boot on the Steam Deck and ran FM23 in Windows and the speeds were significantly faster!

Benchmark 1: 01 min 43 Sec

Benchmark 2: 05 min 55 Sec

Edited by Redshift

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Redshift said:

Oh and if anyone wants to find out the save game location for Football Manager 23 on the Steam Deck it is in the following location:

/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/1904540/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2023/games

You'll need to allow for hidden files to be visible. Maybe the 1904540 will be a different number for other users. Not sure. Maybe someone on Google will find this. :)

1904540 will be the same - its the steam app id.

15 hours ago, Redshift said:

Here's another Steam Deck benchmark. Bear in mind I bought the 64GB version but upgraded the M.2 drive to a 1TB Sabrent drive for faster read and write speeds. APU at stock speeds.

RAM Clockspeed: 

Benchmark 1: 02 min 20 Sec

Benchmark 2: 06 min 47 Sec

Benchmark 3: 18 min 02 Sec

What's your feeling playing FM on there? I'm used to playing the Touch version on the Switch and that moves quite a bit faster. Still unsure if I can ever get used to the (often) 10+ seconds it takes to move past one simulated day...

6 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Thanks @Redshift & @DarJ .   Really helpful stuff.  I'll get the spreadsheet updated ASAP.

Not sure whether to put the steamdeck as seperate (handhelds) or just put it with Laptops on the second post?

It would be easier to find if it was separated 

6 hours ago, jens_dewit said:

What's your feeling playing FM on there? I'm used to playing the Touch version on the Switch and that moves quite a bit faster. Still unsure if I can ever get used to the (often) 10+ seconds it takes to move past one simulated day...

I’ve not played a full save on the steam deck but I’ve played around a bit with it and because it’s the full game, there are a lot of buttons to click and that could become annoying using the default controls so I mapped the right touch pad to act like a mouse when I touch it and clicking it simulates the left mouse button. I also mapped spacebar to one of the X,Y,A,B buttons and one of the triggers as the right mouse button.

In terms of how long it takes to go from day to day because it’s the full game it’s always going to be slower that the touch version but it’s not slow on the steam deck 

8 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Thanks @Redshift & @DarJ .   Really helpful stuff.  I'll get the spreadsheet updated ASAP.

Not sure whether to put the steamdeck as seperate (handhelds) or just put it with Laptops on the second post?

No problem. Thanks for doing this thread! I would be happy if handhelds would be mixed in with the laptops as they are comparable but whatever you want.

7 hours ago, jens_dewit said:

I'll be honest, I only ran FM on the Steam Deck for benching purposes. I would prefer to play it on my main rig as my eyes are not as good these days. :D

I already did these benchmark but have upgraded my ram from 16 to 32 gb and have gotten faster results so wanted to post new times. so even though FM23 only requires 4gb of ram my times went up alot with only a ram upgrade.
I am still running dual channel now with 2 16gb sticks and not 4 8gb sticks.

CPU Model: R9 3900x 

CPU Base Frequency:  3.80 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.60 GHz

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 4000 Mhz

GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 GamingPro OC 8GB GDDR6 SDRAM

Graphics Level in 3D:  Very High

Storage Type:  NVME SSD

Benchmark 1: 01 min 03 Sec

Benchmark 2: 02 min 00 Sec

Benchmark 3: 8 min 15 Sec

Benchmark 4: 17 min 27 Sec

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded my system from an i7-9700K to Ryzen 9 7900X. The difference is like night and day.
Have to say i'm very happy with the results.

CPU Model: R9 7900x 

CPU Base Frequency:  4.70 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.50 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 5200 Mhz

GPU: GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus x 2 OC LHR

Graphics Level in 3D:  Very High

Storage Type:  NVME SSD

Benchmark 1: 00 min 38 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 15 Sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 54 Sec

Benchmark 4: 11 min 00 Sec

• 2 weeks later...
В 19.05.2023 в 22:34, roykela сказал:

Just upgraded my system from an i7-9700K to Ryzen 9 7900X. The difference is like night and day.

Surely yes, i7-9700K was announced aboot 5 years ago - in Q4 2018 =)

7900X is a top CPU from actual line of AMD and is very similar to i9-13900K - by price and by perfomance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/05/2023 at 21:34, roykela said:

Have to say i'm very happy with the results.

CPU Model: R9 7900x 

CPU Base Frequency:  4.70 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.50 GHz

RAM Clockspeed: 5200 Mhz

GPU: GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus x 2 OC LHR

Graphics Level in 3D:  Very High

Storage Type:  NVME SSD

Benchmark 1: 00 min 38 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 15 Sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 54 Sec

Benchmark 4: 11 min 00 Sec

I had the opportunity to play the game with i9 13900KS, NVIDIA 4090; coming from i7 8550U and NIVDIA MX150. I think I live in year 1900. LOL

On 25/06/2023 at 09:28, Sangue Blu said:

The thread died down a bit..

Compared to last year, test 4 took about 2 minutes less. Do you think the trend will continue in the next FM?

Yeah I'll update it soon.

Being on the front page helps a fair bit.  I'll post on twitter about it as well.  Lets see if we can get past the elusive 100 mark