RAM Clockspeed: 1064Mhz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Benchmark 1: 01 min 23 Sec

Benchmark 2: 02 min 37 Sec

Benchmark 3: 8 min 14 Sec

Benchmark 4: 23 min 04 Sec

Edited by Alli

Want to compare performance before and after the upgrade, will share new results in a couple of days

Type: Desktop

Model: Custom

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

CPU Base Frequency: 3.6 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.2 GHz Max Boost

RAM: 32GB

RAM Clockspeed: 3200Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB

Graphics Level in 3D: Very High

Benchmark 1: 01 min 14 Sec

Benchmark 2: 02 min 59 Sec

Benchmark 3: 09 min 48 Sec

Benchmark 4: 28 min 56 Sec

1 minute ago, xenomorphing said:

Im getting the 7950x3d soon. Planning on testing this on each CCD, to know if extra cache actually helps or not, or even slows down due to lower frequency. Should be interesting.

Yeah sadly my guess is that the lower frequency will slow it down but it looks like an amazing chip

23 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

Yeah sadly my guess is that the lower frequency will slow it down but it looks like an amazing chip

Alot of grand strategy games benefit from cache in a similar way that FM could do aswell in theory, so im curious to see this in practice. Have had this question ever since the 5800x3d release. Gonna see in a few weeks i guess 

Edited by xenomorphing

28 minutes ago, xenomorphing said:

Alot of grand strategy games benefit from cache in a similar way that FM could do aswell in theory, so im curious to see this in practice. Have had this question ever since the 5800x3d release. Gonna see in a few weeks i guess 

You never know we could be surprised. From an FM standpoint I can't see it being quicker in Test 1 & 2 than the i9. 

I will say though it looks like an absolute beast of a cpu.  Its going to be right up there on the chart thats for sure.  Look forward to your results.

Edited by Brother Ben

7 hours ago, Phil930 said:

Waiting for that 7950X3D score to post!!  Tempted to pick one up this wkd and try it out, but can't find a decent PSU to support that jump (added a 4090 recently but need a better PSU going to 7950X3D).

Before all that though, i'm sure 16 cores is fantastic and all but this is where the action really is. :D

Type: Laptop

Model: HP - 2186 - 15"

CPU Model: Intel i3-3217U (Q2'12 - 3mb cache)

CPU Base Frequency: 1.8 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: N/A

RAM: 4GB

RAM Clockspeed: 1333Mhz

GPU: On board intel HD 4000

Graphics Level in 3D: Very Low

Benchmark 1: 05 min 29 Sec

Benchmark 2: 31 min 23 Sec

This is my mothers old laptop that I put an SSD in to get better performance and I have to say i'd forgotten how much difference it can make.  HDD to SSD has to be the single biggest consumer affordable performance leap in the history of computing.  Its gone from practically unusable to perfectly serviceable for her needs. 

Luckily for her she isn't a fan of FM as the times are awful however It does create a good contrast for the spreadsheet to show how far we've come.

Sharing results after an upgrade to 7090

Type: Desktop

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 7900

CPU Base Frequency: 3.7 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.4 GHz Max Boost

RAM Clockspeed: 6000Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB

Stock settings:
Benchmark 1 - 00:38
Benchmark 2 - 01:22
Benchmark 3 - 04:59, average CPU power consumption during the run - 73W
Benchmark 4 - 12:18, average CPU power consumption during the run - 83W

PBO enabled - 90 Level 2 (basically max temp 90, curve optimizer -20)
Benchmark 1 - 00:37
Benchmark 2 - 01:15
Benchmark 3 - 04:47, 64W, 67 degrees average
Benchmark 4 - 10:54, 99W, 80 degrees average (only here I was getting to the thermal limit, all other runs were way below that)

After some tweaking found an ideal stable spot for this CPU -

PBO enabled - 90 temp throttle, -25 curve, +200 boost
Benchmark 3 - 04:43, 54W, 63 degrees average
Benchmark 4 - 10:41, 94W, 80 degrees average

Edited by Desu
new benchmarks

Type: Desktop

CPU Model: R9 3900x 

CPU Base Frequency:  3.80 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 4.60 GHz

RAM: 16GB

RAM Clockspeed: 4000 Mhz

GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 2080 GamingPro OC 8GB GDDR6 SDRAM

Graphics Level in 3D:  Very High

Storage Type:  NVME SSD

Benchmark 1: 01 min 04 Sec

Benchmark 2: 02 min 06 Sec

Benchmark 3: 8 min 44 Sec

Benchmark 4: 19 min 05 Sec

On 08/03/2023 at 10:56, Brother Ben said:

You never know we could be surprised. From an FM standpoint I can't see it being quicker in Test 1 & 2 than the i9. 

I will say though it looks like an absolute beast of a cpu.  Its going to be right up there on the chart thats for sure.  Look forward to your results.

Why do you think that? From these tests, the 7950X beats the i9 13900k in every test. The 7950X3D will surely be even more powerful? From most reviews I've read, it comfortably beats the i9 13900k.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

22 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Why do you think that? From these tests, the 7950X beats the i9 13900k in every test. The 7950X3D will surely be even more powerful? From most reviews I've read, it comfortably beats the i9 13900k.

Possibly but to be honest i'd like to see a larger sample size of both of these processors because by every metric and every benchmark i've seen everywhere else the i9's single core performance is superior which is a major factor in these tests. 

Jurraso's 7950X shouldn't have beaten it in test 1 & 2 but it did, maybe because he had his system set up really well and fine tuned maybe I don't know.  I would love to see a few more of these processors on our chart to see the outcome.  I'm happy to be proved wrong.  If i'm wrong then it means that FM is moving away from being a brute force single core game for the average user (test 1 & 2)

I'm currently considering a new system, with either a i9 13900k or a 7950X3D. I'll definitely be interested to see how well the latter does when @xenomorphing gets his. I'm currently using a system with a i9 9900k but it's getting a little slow already. I'm pretty impatient though, so what seems slow to me might actually be fast for someone else 😅. I usually look at running around 50 playable leagues.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

16 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm currently considering a new system, with either a i9 13900k or a 7950X3D. I'll definitely be interested to see how well the latter does when @xenomorphing gets his. I'm currently using a system with a i9 9900k but it's getting a little slow already. I'm pretty impatient though, so what seems slow to me might actually be fast for someone else 😅. I usually look at running around 50 playable leagues.

It'll be really interesting.  I think the AMD would edge it slightly for me purely on upgrade path for AM5.

Its great to see both companies so competitive, it can only be a good thing

13 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Possibly but to be honest i'd like to see a larger sample size of both of these processors because by every metric and every benchmark i've seen everywhere else the i9's single core performance is superior which is a major factor in these tests. 

Jurraso's 7950X shouldn't have beaten it in test 1 & 2 but it did, maybe because he had his system set up really well and fine tuned maybe I don't know.  I would love to see a few more of these processors on our chart to see the outcome.  I'm happy to be proved wrong.  If i'm wrong then it means that FM is moving away from being a brute force single core game for the average user (test 1 & 2)

Speaking of testing a 13900k vs. 7950X... I may be crazy, but I bought both. I'm building one all AMD system (7950x + 7900XTX) and one 'other guys' system (13900k + 4090). Additionally, I'm going to remove the heatspreaders on both and do some direct die water cooling on both. That way, I hope to remove ANY thermal bottlenecks. I'll also tweak them both for overclocking (likely stick with PBO on AMD), then test both systems with these benchmarks. Still waiting on a couple of water blocks, so it will be a few more weeks though. My wife tells me I must hate money, but I tell her "this is why I got a degree and a job, so I can buy this stuff!" Now that I've announced this project here, I'll probably break the CPUs trying to de-lid them.

I didn't save the data, but I did test these parts in air-cooled setups with no overclocking just to make sure it all worked. The 13900k beat my 7950x by about 40s in the last test. We'll see if that holds when they are both cooled well.

1 minute ago, jwchriste said:

Speaking of testing a 13900k vs. 7950X... I may be crazy, but I bought both. I'm building one all AMD system (7950x + 7900XTX) and one 'other guys' system (13900k + 4090). Additionally, I'm going to remove the heatspreaders on both and do some direct die water cooling on both. That way, I hope to remove ANY thermal bottlenecks. I'll also tweak them both for overclocking (likely stick with PBO on AMD), then test both systems with these benchmarks. Still waiting on a couple of water blocks, so it will be a few more weeks though. My wife tells me I must hate money, but I tell her "this is why I got a degree and a job, so I can buy this stuff!" Now that I've announced this project here, I'll probably break the CPUs trying to de-lid them.

I didn't save the data, but I did test these parts in air-cooled setups with no overclocking just to make sure it all worked. The 13900k beat my 7950x by about 40s in the last test. We'll see if that holds when they are both cooled well.

I'd love to do something like this but couldn't afford the divorce lawyer!! :D

23 hours ago, jwchriste said:

Amazing, bet you'll have a blast building all that.  Just became the benchmark thread MVP !  :D

edit - I'm interested to know which of the two do you think will perform better in these tests?

Edited by Brother Ben

19 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Amazing, bet you'll have a blast building all that.  Just became the benchmark thread MVP !  :D

edit - I'm interested to know which of the two do you think will perform better in these tests?

I was surprised that the Intel chip took the lead in the more strenuous tests in my pre-build air-cooled setup, but maybe I shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure the AMD chip was throttling. My guess is AMD will take the lead once cooling is no longer an issue. We'll see!

On 08/03/2023 at 10:04, xenomorphing said:

Im getting the 7950x3d soon. Planning on testing this on each CCD, to know if extra cache actually helps or not, or even slows down due to lower frequency. Should be interesting.

Any idea when you are getting this CPU mate?

On 10/03/2023 at 01:09, Phil930 said:

Waiting for that 7950X3D score to post!!  Tempted to pick one up this wkd and try it out, but can't find a decent PSU to support that jump (added a 4090 recently but need a better PSU going to 7950X3D).

I'm waiting for it also, really interested to see how it does!

I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd post it here too. 

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade. Tech moves so fast, even what was a top end CPU, my i9 9900k now gets beaten by something like a i5 12400F in both single and multi thread and even a 12th gen i3 in single thread! 😂😭

@Brother Ben I'm seriously tempted to just go for the i9 13900k now instead of waiting for the 7950X3D benchmark results. As you say, the i9 13900k has it beat for single thread by a decent margin, but loses on multi thread. Thing is, I don't tend to like setting high detail on FM, usually a lot of leagues loaded but on minimal detail. I'm looking at a top spec custom build i9 13900k and RTX 4090 combo, so a lot of money though! That would mean I would do the majority of my gaming on PC now instead of my PS5, with that for just the exclusives and my PSVR2.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

30 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm seriously tempted to upgrade. Tech moves so fast, even what was a top end CPU, my i9 9900k now gets beaten by something like a i5 12400F in both single and multi thread and even a 12th gen i3 in single thread! 😂😭

@Brother Ben I'm seriously tempted to just go for the i9 13900k now instead of waiting for the 7950X3D benchmark results. As you say, the i9 13900k has it beat for single thread by a decent margin, but loses on multi thread. Thing is, I don't tend to like setting high detail on FM, usually a lot of leagues loaded but on minimal detail. I'm looking at a top spec custom build i9 13900k and RTX 4090 combo, so a lot of money though! That would mean I would do the majority of my gaming on PC now instead of my PS5, with that for just the exclusives and my PSVR2.

I moved from an i7 8086k to i9 12900k last year and it has made such a difference to my FM game, which has all leagues loaded - would recommend it. 

58 minutes ago, gothenburg83 said:

I moved from an i7 8086k to i9 12900k last year and it has made such a difference to my FM game, which has all leagues loaded - would recommend it. 

Oh wow, all leagues? I couldn't imagine loading that many, even with a new i9 13900k 😂 Do you load any additional players or custom leagues, and/or have full detail? Must take a while to get through each season?

12 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Oh wow, all leagues? I couldn't imagine loading that many, even with a new i9 13900k 😂 Do you load any additional players or custom leagues, and/or have full detail? Must take a while to get through each season?

Full database, full detail for European comps and Scottish leagues……..a season takes about 2 weeks. I’m quite patient 😂

17 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I am thinking about a similar upgrade too, but I think I would go AMD for the upgrade path of AM5. That way, if you wanted to upgrade again to a faster CPU in 2 or 3 years you could just purchase a new CPU rather than needing a whole new motherboard etc.

Until we get benchmark results from a 7950X3D, 7900X3D, or 7800X3D, we cannot say how 3D v-cache will perform for FM (I don't expect FM will benefit and the core clock speed drop will likely hurt FM more), but for other games they seem to be stomping on Intel 13-gen. Given the fact that you are looking to go top-tier 4090 GPU, I assume you will be playing other games. I doubt you will be upgrading your GPU again soon after spending £1600+, but with an AMD CPU you should have an upgrade path to at least 8000 and 9000 series CPUs in the future if you wanted a little performance boost. Certainly for FM, the CPU is king so to keep your machine feeling new, the option to drop in a replacement CPU after a few years would be a welcome benefit.

I too went Intel 9th-gen (9700K) and I regret not going AMD given that I could have upgraded from the 3000 series at the time to a newer 5000 series for much less and seen a nice improvement.

CPU Model: R9 7950x 

CPU Base Frequency:  4.50 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: Auto (3.0-5.5 GHz)

RAM Clockspeed: 6000 Mhz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

Storage Type:  NVME SSD (990 Pro)

Benchmark 1: 00 min 36 Sec

Benchmark 2: -

Benchmark 3: 4 min 52 Sec

Benchmark 4: -

Guys I got new pc with 7950x, I'm waiting for a tech guy to OC it to stable 5900 GHz. I have some weird timings with the tests with max details, I think I choose something wrong because it takes 2-4 times longer than it should be. 1 and 3 looks good though, can someone post a screenshot with correct setup so I can make correct tests?

Edited by Sangue Blu

7 hours ago, Abaddon879 said:

I am thinking about a similar upgrade too, but I think I would go AMD for the upgrade path of AM5. That way, if you wanted to upgrade again to a faster CPU in 2 or 3 years you could just purchase a new CPU rather than needing a whole new motherboard etc.

Until we get benchmark results from a 7950X3D, 7900X3D, or 7800X3D, we cannot say how 3D v-cache will perform for FM (I don't expect FM will benefit and the core clock speed drop will likely hurt FM more), but for other games they seem to be stomping on Intel 13-gen. Given the fact that you are looking to go top-tier 4090 GPU, I assume you will be playing other games. I doubt you will be upgrading your GPU again soon after spending £1600+, but with an AMD CPU you should have an upgrade path to at least 8000 and 9000 series CPUs in the future if you wanted a little performance boost. Certainly for FM, the CPU is king so to keep your machine feeling new, the option to drop in a replacement CPU after a few years would be a welcome benefit.

I too went Intel 9th-gen (9700K) and I regret not going AMD given that I could have upgraded from the 3000 series at the time to a newer 5000 series for much less and seen a nice improvement.

Yeah you make good points there, it's a tough one. I'm not looking for every last ounce of FPS though, I'm pretty much happy with getting 4K 60 FPS native in all games, coming from a PS5, I'm used to that being the max FPS. If I can hit 4K 120 FPS that would be a nice bonus though. I'm also going to be using my OLED TV instead of a monitor, it's a LG C9 OLED 120hz so obviously 120 FPS is the max I can play at. I'm not really into online competitive gaming where the the most FPS matters either (although could be drawn into it 😅). I'm looking at the CPU from mostly a FM POV as I know the i9 13900k with a 4090 at 4K resolution will pretty much be more than enough for any game anyway. I doubt the 7950X3D would make a big difference vs the i9 at 4K? I've heard differences at 4K are small and more GPU dependant.

I did build my current PC but I would be buying this one from Cyberpower UK, as they seem good value, and I didn't particularly enjoy building my PC like some people do 😂. Buying from them would mean any overclock etc would void warranty though, so I have to keep that in mind. I can pay for them to overclock it but with these CPU's I probably wouldn't bother. I OC'd my i9 9900k and the differences were really minimal for FM so I don't reallly see the point. I notice the 7950X3D is out of stock, it's at pre order status everywhere atm. It will also cost me a bit more than a i9 13900k build, around £250 difference. The upgrade path of AM5 is useful though for sure and would save me money in the future, plus I've read the 7950X3D is super efficient. But as I said, the performance of FM will be the main factor in my decision, so I'm not sure if I should just go for the i9 13900k now, I would have it by Thursday this upcoming week, not sure how long I would be waiting for the 7950X3D.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

10 hours ago, gothenburg83 said:

Full database, full detail for European comps and Scottish leagues……..a season takes about 2 weeks. I’m quite patient 😂

In terms of full database, is that all players custom added or is it large database + every league playable?

Ffs you must be patient, or I'm just impatient 😂 Is FM the only game you play?

17 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

In terms of full database, is that all players custom added or is it large database + every league playable?

Ffs you must be patient, or I'm just impatient 😂 Is FM the only game you play?

Large database and then add in all continents to get all players.

And I mainly play FM, with the odd dose of other games (Madden, F1 mainly) lobbed in.......:)

11 minutes ago, gothenburg83 said:

Large database and then add in all continents to get all players.

And I mainly play FM, with the odd dose of other games (Madden, F1 mainly) lobbed in.......:)

Cheers 👍🏻

I like to play most of the popular games out there, but because I've been so addicted to football games... FM, Fifa / PES (RIP :() over the past few years I have a backlog of around 25-30 games 😂 It would probably take me around a year or two to get through them all as many of them are 60-100 hour games. Plus I just got my PSVR2 so that means yet more games 😅

Edited by Gee_Simpson

29 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Cheers 👍🏻

I like to play most of the popular games out there, but because I've been so addicted to football games... FM, Fifa / PES (RIP :() over the past few years I have a backlog of around 25-30 games 😂 It would probably take me around a year or two to get through them all as many of them are 60-100 hour games. Plus I just got my PSVR2 so that means yet more games 😅

I play other games for a short period then always come back to FM........and mainly the thankless task of trying to manage Aberdeen to glory :seagull: :D 

21 minutes ago, gothenburg83 said:

I play other games for a short period then always come back to FM........and mainly the thankless task of trying to manage Aberdeen to glory :seagull: :D 

Lol yeah I'm like that with football games. I don't tend to go Hearts in any games though as I find the Scottish leagues to be boring, tbh it can get boring irl too, the league structure etc is pish. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Lol yeah I'm like that with football games. I don't tend to go Hearts in any games though as I find the Scottish leagues to be boring, tbh it can get boring irl too, the league structure etc is pish. 

I've experimented across a number of leagues across the years but always come back to my Dons saves as being most enjoyable......especially if I can get them outperforming real life!!

16 hours ago, Sangue Blu said:

Benchmark 2: -

Benchmark 4: -

Guys I got new pc with 7950x, I'm waiting for a tech guy to OC it to stable 5900 GHz. I have some weird timings with the tests with max details, I think I choose something wrong because it takes 2-4 times longer than it should be. 1 and 3 looks good though, can someone post a screenshot with correct setup so I can make correct tests?

You don't need to set up anything.  You just download these 4 save games to the games folder and hit "go on holiday" for a week for each one

Benchmark 1 - Download - 12/09/2023 - 19/09/2023

Benchmark 2 - Download - 12/09/2023 - 19/09/2023

Benchmark 3 - Download - 12/09/2023 - 19/09/2023

Benchmark 4 - Download - 12/09/2023 - 19/09/2023 

kindpng_5574618.thumb.png.7e68d04f6b1a35c59b87bd846838b1c0.png

72 Systems tested

Second Post fully updated and split into Laptop/Desktop to view scores at a glance.

Full results with more in depth computer specs can be viewed on the spreadsheet

Yet again a big thanks again to all who have tested so far

Edited by Brother Ben

22 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah you make good points there, it's a tough one. I'm not looking for every last ounce of FPS though, I'm pretty much happy with getting 4K 60 FPS native in all games, coming from a PS5, I'm used to that being the max FPS. If I can hit 4K 120 FPS that would be a nice bonus though. I'm also going to be using my OLED TV instead of a monitor, it's a LG C9 OLED 120hz so obviously 120 FPS is the max I can play at. I'm not really into online competitive gaming where the the most FPS matters either (although could be drawn into it 😅). I'm looking at the CPU from mostly a FM POV as I know the i9 13900k with a 4090 at 4K resolution will pretty much be more than enough for any game anyway. I doubt the 7950X3D would make a big difference vs the i9 at 4K? I've heard differences at 4K are small and more GPU dependant.

I did build my current PC but I would be buying this one from Cyberpower UK, as they seem good value, and I didn't particularly enjoy building my PC like some people do 😂. Buying from them would mean any overclock etc would void warranty though, so I have to keep that in mind. I can pay for them to overclock it but with these CPU's I probably wouldn't bother. I OC'd my i9 9900k and the differences were really minimal for FM so I don't reallly see the point. I notice the 7950X3D is out of stock, it's at pre order status everywhere atm. It will also cost me a bit more than a i9 13900k build, around £250 difference. The upgrade path of AM5 is useful though for sure and would save me money in the future, plus I've read the 7950X3D is super efficient. But as I said, the performance of FM will be the main factor in my decision, so I'm not sure if I should just go for the i9 13900k now, I would have it by Thursday this upcoming week, not sure how long I would be waiting for the 7950X3D.

The 3d v-cache can still help at 4k, although the improvements are limited as it tends to be more GPU limited at those resolutions. Take a look at some example benchmarks between the 7950X3D and the normal 7950X - For example: https://www.anandtech.com/show/18747/the-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/10

If the CPU  is mainly for FM purposes, how about going for the standard 7950X, 7900X (non-3D v-cache), or even a cheaper, more efficient 7900 (non-X)? From the benchmarks so far you wouldn't be giving up much performance in FM, you would save money, and still have a nice upgrade path in the future. Obviously this would depend on what CPUs  Cyberpower offer (I always build my own so don't look at pre-build options).

If FM is your main use of CPU, the ability to upgrade in 2-3 years would be nice from a FM perspective and is something that you won't be able to do with Intel. Any upgrade you make now will be a massive improvement over what you have already.

I'm not an AMD fan-boy or anything. I just think that with FM being CPU intensive, having a cheaper upgrade path in a few years would be a good option when newer/faster CPUs are released, compared to Intel where you would need a completely new motherboard and CPU.

Edited by Abaddon879

3 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

kindpng_5574618.thumb.png.7e68d04f6b1a35c59b87bd846838b1c0.png

72 Systems tested

Second Post fully updated and split into Laptop/Desktop to view scores at a glance.

Full results with more in depth computer specs can be viewed on the spreadsheet

Yet again a big thanks again to all who have tested so far

Oh I'm late, I got first score without a proper OC

Benchmark 2: - 1 min 07 Sec

Benchmark 4: - 9 min 40 Sec

1 hour ago, Sangue Blu said:

Oh I'm late, I got first score without a proper OC

Benchmark 2: - 1 min 07 Sec

Benchmark 4: - 9 min 40 Sec

Those are blisteringly quick times!!

4 hours ago, Abaddon879 said:

The 3d v-cache can still help at 4k, although the improvements are limited as it tends to be more GPU limited at those resolutions. Take a look at some example benchmarks between the 7950X3D and the normal 7950X - For example: https://www.anandtech.com/show/18747/the-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/10

If the CPU  is mainly for FM purposes, how about going for the standard 7950X, 7900X (non-3D v-cache), or even a cheaper, more efficient 7900 (non-X)? From the benchmarks so far you wouldn't be giving up much performance in FM, you would save money, and still have a nice upgrade path in the future. Obviously this would depend on what CPUs  Cyberpower offer (I always build my own so don't look at pre-build options).

If FM is your main use of CPU, the ability to upgrade in 2-3 years would be nice from a FM perspective and is something that you won't be able to do with Intel. Any upgrade you make now will be a massive improvement over what you have already.

I'm not an AMD fan-boy or anything. I just think that with FM being CPU intensive, having a cheaper upgrade path in a few years would be a good option when newer/faster CPUs are released, compared to Intel where you would need a completely new motherboard and CPU.

You make good points. After reading some of that review I would be more inclined to go for the 7950X instead of the X3D if I went with AMD, as it seems it does gaming well but also is more rounded than the 7950X3D. I've never really upgraded before though, I tend to buy new systems after a certain period. So I'm considering either the i9 13900k or the 7950X, I've never went with AMD before. If I went with the i9 it would most likely be the kf variant, as it's cheaper and I wouldn't exactly be needing an integrated GPU 😊

Edited by Gee_Simpson

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

CPU Base Frequency: 4.20 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.70 GHz

RAM: 32GB DDR5

GPU: 6GB RTX 2060

Storage Type:  NVME SSD (WD Black SN850X)

Could not select game mode in the windows game bar for some reason so had to manually assign it to the 16 high cache cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 37 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 30 Sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 41 Sec (seemed suspiciously fast, so tested again and hit 4 min 45 secs)

Benchmark 4: 14 min 05 Sec

Not changing anything and letting it use all cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 39 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 12 Sec

Benchmark 3: 05 min 20 Sec

Benchmark 4: 10 min 26 Sec

Edited by maximo1491

11 hours ago, maximo1491 said:

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

CPU Base Frequency: 4.20 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.70 GHz

RAM: 32GB DDR5

GPU: 6GB RTX 2060

Storage Type:  NVME SSD (WD Black SN850X)

Could not select game mode in the windows game bar for some reason so had to manually assign it to the 16 high cache cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 37 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 30 Sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 41 Sec (seemed suspiciously fast, so tested again and hit 4 min 45 secs)

Benchmark 4: 14 min 05 Sec

Not changing anything and letting it use all cores

Benchmark 1: 00 min 39 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 12 Sec

Benchmark 3: 05 min 20 Sec

Benchmark 4: 10 min 26 Sec

Interesting results, which confirms to me that if I go with AMD it will be the standard 7950X. Seems you were right @Brother Ben

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Probably time to upgrade my 10 year old Laptop:

Type: Laptop

Model: Lenovo G700

CPU Model: Intel Core i7 3612QM

CPU Base Frequency: 2.10 GHz

CPU Turbo Frequency: 

RAM: 8GB

RAM Clockspeed: 1596Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M

Graphics Level in 3D: Medium

Benchmark 1: 05 min 10 Sec

Benchmark 2: 36 min 50 sec

Benchmark 3: Got work on Monday...

Benchmark 4: xx min xx Sec

Model: Custom built

CPU Model: i9 13900KF

CPU Base Frequency: 3.0 GHz (P cores) 2.2 GHz (E Cores)

CPU Turbo Frequency: 5.8GHz

RAM: 64GB

RAM Clockspeed: 6200Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Super

Graphics Level in 3D: High

Benchmark 1: 33 Sec

Benchmark 2: 01 min 06 sec

Benchmark 3: 04 min 38 sex

Benchmark 4: 09 min 42 Sec