Does Russia ever go back to normal?

In my little game world (and the real one), I hope for peace and prosperity for all. Does Russia ever get their FIFA and UEFA competition status back? I'm curious if there's any point to loading Russia into my save.

Per FIFA and UEFA they are banned without a set end, and the game reflects that, at least last I checked. So until the governing bodies in football set a date, I doubt FM will.

3 hours ago, rusty217 said:

No. Although there are workarounds for it via the editor. It's only a matter of time before somebody releases a database file that adds them back.

I hope so, wasn't it pretty much hardlocked last year though hence why no one was able to do it. 

5 hours ago, XaW said:

Per FIFA and UEFA they are banned without a set end, and the game reflects that, at least last I checked. So until the governing bodies in football set a date, I doubt FM will.

I seem to recall some fiasco called Brexit a few years ago. The global pandemic also was not represented. 

You can’t just wipe your hands of it and say that it should indefinite until real world events resolve, because SI has programmed their own version of the future into FM before.

4 minutes ago, Zapoleon said:

I hope so, wasn't it pretty much hardlocked last year though hence why no one was able to do it. 

I've no idea how it was done, but I expect them having to find a solution fairly quickly would've had something to do with it being hard-coded.  That's always going to be the easier option.  Always a chance they could just carry it over and not waste time implementing something more flexible when the current way just works, but given more time, if it's something that would make the game more stable, they might have done it "properly" this time.

1 minute ago, jcp1417 said:

I seem to recall some fiasco called Brexit a few years ago. The global pandemic also was not represented. 

You can’t just wipe your hands of it and say that it should indefinite until real world events resolve, because SI has programmed their own version of the future into FM before.

The situations aren't really comparable at all. The Brexit thing was done because they simply had no idea what way the vote would go (nor did people who had a financial stake in it even once polls had shut).  They offered random options to not pick a side either way.  The pandemic approach I disagreed with, but their decision at least had some basis and was explained.  Seemed largely popular too.

With this, they are modelling what the current state of the world is based on what punishment FIFA have handed out. There is absolutely nothing that would give them a basis to put an end date on it, and it would be crazy to try. Would likely also open them up to certain questions they shouldn't have to be answering if they're seen to be saying to "the baddies" in this war that they're good to have all sanctions lifted.

Edited by forameuss

I think it's worth mentioning that Shakhtar move back to the Donbas-Arena in 2024, which would seem to at least imply something has happened.

image.png.c2b54f476092ce3d0f15bc0edaa46fd2.png

I enjoyed the Brexit gameplay largely because alternate future/history and dynamic gameplay is of great interest to me, but let's not act like it was the most popular thing on the planet. That would be dishonest.

Edited by HighFlyingDwarf

17 hours ago, Zapoleon said:

It was actually easier to get around last year. It's still hardcoded, but there is a way around it.

I'm maybe 50% of the way there, just need to figure out continental/international stuff. Specifically European Qualifiers/Nations League need sorting. Although to be honest I'm not sure I want russia in Europe actually, it just doesn't seem realistic to me. So I'm thinking about moving them to Asia instead (basically the same as Israel, they get kicked out because nobody wants to play them and move to another nearby confederation instead). Moving them to Asia would require the Asian Champions League being recreated from scratch though making it a much bigger job.

17 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

I agree. In the current game, there are also dates when some countries join the EU (Serbia, Montenegro...) altough there is no set date yet. 

42 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

It was actually easier to get around last year. It's still hardcoded, but there is a way around it.

I'm maybe 50% of the way there, just need to figure out continental/international stuff. Specifically European Qualifiers/Nations League need sorting. Although to be honest I'm not sure I want russia in Europe actually, it just doesn't seem realistic to me. So I'm thinking about moving them to Asia instead (basically the same as Israel, they get kicked out because nobody wants to play them and move to another nearby confederation instead). Moving them to Asia would require the Asian Champions League being recreated from scratch though making it a much bigger job.

This would be good. I understand why Russia are excluded as it is IRL. But there has to be a loophole somewhere where you can bring them back into the game and their clubs into Continental competitions 

18 hours ago, forameuss said:

The situations aren't really comparable at all. The Brexit thing was done because they simply had no idea what way the vote would go (nor did people who had a financial stake in it even once polls had shut).  They offered random options to not pick a side either way.  The pandemic approach I disagreed with, but their decision at least had some basis and was explained.  Seemed largely popular too.

With this, they are modelling what the current state of the world is based on what punishment FIFA have handed out. There is absolutely nothing that would give them a basis to put an end date on it, and it would be crazy to try. Would likely also open them up to certain questions they shouldn't have to be answering if they're seen to be saying to "the baddies" in this war that they're good to have all sanctions lifted.

They didn't know how Brexit would go ... okay, fair ... but they're acting like they know how this is going to go, that this suspension will be forever, that there's a 100% chance of that. No variables, no alternate scenarios.

Plus, it seemed like those Brexit scenarios were relatively easy to fix with the pre-game editor, if I recall correctly, but this is not.

I am fine with them doing what they've done with the game as loaded - no end date to this punishment - but they should not make it so difficult to alter it in the editor.

Em 08/11/2022 em 08:23, jcp1417 disse:

In my little game world (and the real one), I hope for peace and prosperity for all. Does Russia ever get their FIFA and UEFA competition status back? I'm curious if there's any point to loading Russia into my save.

Maybe when Putin gets booted...

24 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Lets keep politics out of this please.

If and when UEFA and FIFA change the ruling about Russian clubs, at that point SI will look at the necessary changes to the database, but until that time it is unlikely to be changed officially.

Human rights are not politics. My question has been answered, SI doesn't actually care about realism for long-term saves, so you can go ahead and lock this at it is inevitable. 

• FrazT locked this topic