Will you guys be watching the World Cup? and if so how much?

thefmveteran86

World Cup watching   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the World Cup? if so how much?

• All of it
    • Most of it
    • Some of it
    • None

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/11/22 at 00:00

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time Wales have qualified for the World Cup since 1958.

My dad was a boy when that happened. 

This is something I've wanted my entire life. I'm absolutely going to be watching Wales and cheering them on. It upsets me greatly that it's somewhat tarred by where it is being hosted.

But I have no real desire as things stand to engage with it much beyond that.

2 hours ago, Rebs said:

Just seems to be more of my football mates who are a bit meh about it compared to them usually buzzing for it start.

You aren't alone on this, we are struggling to get a few of the lads together for a beer in November because of Xmas is on the horizon. Even the England supporters in the bunch are just meh about everything, just get to Xmas and go out then seems to be the vibe.

I don't mind, but even the usual excuse to get away from the misses saying 'well, it's a world cup/euros!' Isn't being used.

I'm convinced it is to do with weather to be fair.

7 minutes ago, sc91 said:

I'm convinced it is to do with weather to be fair.

It's not the weather, it's just that it's something we've never had before. People will get into it during the first week.

For me personally, it's way better like this than in June, because watching football all day for a month always makes me feel guilty when there's so much to do outside.

In November it's like what else could I be doing?

12 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

So much better when you can chill outside before/after imo

Yeah. It's cold, wet and dark by 4pm, rammed pubs in the winter are drab affairs at times.

12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It's not the weather, it's just that it's something we've never had before. People will get into it during the first week.

For me personally, it's way better like this than in June, because watching football all day for a month always makes me feel guilty when there's so much to do outside.

In November it's like what else could I be doing?

I was speaking for UK/Ireland perspective where the weather plays a huge factor here, it's dark, dismal and grim, you set off for work in the dark and come home in the dark. When you are trying to get people up for things and feeling the vibe, it's a much tougher ask than going out in the summer sun.

17 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Yeah. It's cold, wet and dark by 4pm, rammed pubs in the winter are drab affairs at times.

I was speaking for UK/Ireland perspective where the weather plays a huge factor here, it's dark, dismal and grim, you set off for work in the dark and come home in the dark. When you are trying to get people up for things and feeling the vibe, it's a much tougher ask than going out in the summer sun.

Well, by the time WC starts, it will be dark at like 4.30pm here, not much of a difference.

Idk, I never liked watching football in pubs, gets annoying too quickly.

Either the stadium or at home. Alone or with a couple of friends. Everything above 5 pople is an annoying crowd. :D

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

People will get into it during the first week.

It's not going to be the same as a normal World Cup, it just won't, but I do think as the tournament goes on and people come to terms with it and realise it's still an actual World blimmin' Cup I think the interest will grow. Especially if there's some good early games or England (or whatever your home country is) start looking good.

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

It's not going to be the same as a normal World Cup, it just won't, but I do think as the tournament goes on and people come to terms with it and realise it's still an actual World blimmin' Cup I think the interest will grow. Especially if there's some good early games or England (or whatever your home country is) start looking good.

Agree, I think it'll take a few days and some of the bigger group games to really get the normal interest up. I know that most kids and staff in schools will probably miss the 1st England game, as nothing is planned to show it really.

I'll miss the first England game annoyingly, one of the only ones I will miss because I fly on the 22nd but I'm working on the 21st so the only two games of the tournament I'm going to have no choice in missing is the England v Iran and Senegal v Netherlands. Though I might catch some of SEN V NED if traffic isn't too bad on the way home.

The fact that it's played in ****ing November and December combined with my football work means I won't be able to watch 80% of the games, so I'm not sure if I'll even bother with the remaining 20%. Also, my country is terrible and I'm kind of glad that I have excuses not to watch the games against Saudi Arabia and Argentina. So yeah, not much excitement for this one.

I've got the 5 weekdays with a 10am game booked off work and should be able to work around matches the rest of the time, so will likely watch everything except one of each simultaneous group games and maybe the third place playoff.

There's definitely a completely different feeling about it, everything about it feels tainted in so many ways (though from a purely footballing pov it is also the last 32 team tournament so has that over 2026 and beyond) and I'm sure that will continue throughout, especially if the atmosphere at matches is a bit crap. Don't know if it's the timing or the lingering sense of guilt for not boycotting but we're 10 days out and I'm still having to Google who's in which group, would have had them memorised about 10 minutes after the draw in all the previous tournaments :D 

I probably won't watch any of it, doesn't sit right morally. I'll probably catch clips on Twitter and whatever when i'm scrolling. Really sucks as I love a world cup.

We'll see, my partner might stick the England game on - Not sure what her thoughts are on the whole situation.

I will try and watch as much as i can around work. I'm missing the first England game due to being at work but the other games will be watching and try watch as much as i can when out of work

I'll watch Englands game, maybe watch the odd game if I'm bored, and definitely watch the youtube highlight packages for all games (fast forwarding to all the goals), but if I've got downtime I'd rather spend it listening to music than spending 2-8 hours watching (possibly/probably turgid) football each day. Even without it being held where it is, It's not so exciting now I'm older.

Politics-wise, it'd be hypocritical for me to 'take a stand' by not watching it since I watched the last corrupt and / or homophobic moneysink ones in Russia, Brazil, South Africa...

Plus a lot of people's answer to everything seems to be bans and such, like recently a few people calling for Iran to be banned like they only just started being a dictatorship and only just started banning women from things. But banning would do the most damage to our cause because the national team has always been a beacon of progressiveness and rebellion, on and off the pitch - they were recently captained by an outspoken Christian, and they just came crawling back to a coach (Queiroz) who laughed in the governments' faces every time they threatened him to get in line.

Anyway...

I'm gutted that one of the match days is on a day I have to work (don't give much of a sod about England's group games as they should qualify unbeaten) but will try and rejig my rota. Last tournament until they change the format and kill dramatic football a little bit more after all.

Edited by git2thachoppa

1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

Plus a lot of people's answer to everything seems to be bans and such, like recently a few people calling for Iran to be banned like they only just started being a dictatorship and only just started banning women from things. But banning would do the most damage to our cause because the national team has always been a beacon of progressiveness and rebellion, on and off the pitch - they were recently captained by an outspoken Christian, and they just came crawling back to a coach (Queiroz) who laughed in the governments' faces every time they threatened him to get in line.

Agreed. 

Iran in any case qualified on the pitch, they deserve to play the World Cup.

On 09/11/2022 at 20:22, Rebs said:

I know that most kids and staff in schools will probably miss the 1st England game, as nothing is planned to show it really.

It's not really a surprise, but we have been told we cannot watch it and must carry on as usual.

Can't say I'm really bothered.

18 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Politics-wise, it'd be hypocritical for me to 'take a stand' by not watching it since I watched the last corrupt and / or homophobic moneysink ones in Russia, Brazil, South Africa...

Not hypocritical at all, that word is way too overused. You're allowed a cut-off point, and you're allowed to boycott one thing and not another, even if you think they are both bad. Doing something one time is better than never doing anything based on the fact that you didn't bother before. I mean you've basically constructed an argument that forces you to take no action, based on your own previous behaviour, as a cop out to having to do anything or think much about it. It's no different to saying something like  'well i never voted before because i thought they were all useless and i still think they are all useless, so it'd just be wrong for me to vote now.' 

They weren't previously threatening to execute 15,000 of their own citizens though

Edited by Rafalution

4 hours ago, Rafalution said:

Not hypocritical at all, that word is way too overused. You're allowed a cut-off point, and you're allowed to boycott one thing and not another, even if you think they are both bad. Doing something one time is better than never doing anything based on the fact that you didn't bother before. I mean you've basically constructed an argument that forces you to take no action, based on your own previous behaviour, as a cop out to having to do anything or think much about it. It's no different to saying something like  'well i never voted before because i thought they were all useless and i still think they are all useless, so it'd just be wrong for me to vote now.' 

They weren't previously threatening to execute 15,000 of their own citizens though

Iran's governments have been executing and torturing its citizens for decades wtf?

Edited by git2thachoppa

On 13/11/2022 at 12:55, git2thachoppa said:

Iran's governments have been executing and torturing its citizens for decades wtf?

Okay? They've not executed 15,000 in one go though - estimates are it's a few hundred a year normally. It's quite normal to call for action against a state when they regress further, even if you weren't happy, but not doing much about it,  with where they were in the first place. 

Are you also against Russia being banned from Fifa on the basis they weren't when they invaded Crimeia? 

Edited by Rafalution

It's never too late to start taking actions in support of your beliefs. Being seen a "hypocrite" for that is surely the lesser of two evils. People are expected to change and grow, none of us should be exactly the same person we were 4 years ago.

2 hours ago, Rafalution said:

Okay? They've not executed 15,000 in one go though - estimates are it's a few hundred a year normally. It's quite normal to call for action against a state when they regress further, even if you weren't happy, but not doing much about it,  with where they were in the first place. 

Are you also against Russia being banned from Fifa on the basis they weren't when they invaded Crimeia? 

Only a few hundred a year? Oh that's alright then, if you think that doesn't count because it wasn't on Twitter!

I don't know anything about Russian culture, so I can't say. But if the team were as much a beacon of progressiveness as Iran's are, then it would be helpful to Putin to ban them, yes. Otherwise it's an empty gesture and ineffectual anyway.

Certainly feels hypocritical given North Korea and plenty other militant dictatorships and countries at war have played in recent World Cups, AFCONs etc. Imagine the rage had them other countries wot exist had called for England to be banned in 2002 for their illegal invasion.

Edited by git2thachoppa

Things seem to be going well in Qatar so far. This Danish TV crew with accreditation to film anywhere were stopped from filming in a public place in spite of showing their accreditation:

Also saw separately a guy told to delete a photo of an official World Cup slogan which was on a wall in a public space in part of an official Fan Zone. WTF?

1 hour ago, Rebs said:

Our principal is going mad about it, but the decision came from head office...think they were worried about attendance 😁😁😁

I remember school being outright cancelled for the morning until the end of Brazil v England 2002.

I went to watch on their advertised big screen, only for it to be a projector with no audio and a **** image, so I went back home for a couple hours.

Edited by git2thachoppa

I'll watch a lot of if as I'm WFH most of the time and I have a TV near my desk that's always on in the background, I'll get out with mates for a few matches too.

I'm really looking forward to it now, the games are all on at good times for me so I'll make the most of it for sure.

Gonna skip Senegal-Ecuador-Qatar, Mexico-Saudi, Tunisia-Australia. 

I've not fallen for sportswashing, quite the opposite. Was thinking before like I didn't want England to win it here but not feeling that way now. 

Edited by mrbpme

I've watched none of it so far, not even the England game.

I'm no more disgusted by the grubbiness of it all than anyone else, though that is a lot, but I didn't realise just how ambivalent I am to watching this World Cup. 

Don't get me wrong, I've always been more into club football than international, and my overall interest in football has waned as the years go by, but when it has come down to it, despite having opportunity to watch every game so far, I just literally haven't had the slightest inclination to do so. I've felt full 'Partridge shrug' about watching the games so far.

I haven't even been looking at the match threads until the relevant game is over (though I was slightly 'early' for Wales-USA due to all the added time), so I am not following them live on any platform, not just tv. It's no different catching up on any other threads and just seeing what people on here are saying. Knowing how well England were doing didn't make me any more inclined to switch on, nor for any future England game. Like Sebsy my interest in football has declined (and I was more following it from a distance to begin with) so it really doesn't seem that important.

• Administrators

So haven't watched any of this World Cup so far. Not any live or any highlights. Even having been off work all week recovering from Covid.

It's frustrating in one regard, given how so many of my greatest footballing memories have come from World Cups (Houghton v Italy, Bergkamp v Argentina, England generally being England etc), but can't support the amount of brazen corruption which has allowed this World Cup to have taken place.

On the plus side can enjoy the delights of Oxford v Exeter on the radio later, so it's not like I'm being starved of football action :brock: