*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

I do think some newgen faces look really good this year, the outer left and inner right face are so common (in my save in Eastern Europe at least) and butt ugly to look at. I don't think any self respecting 16 year old in the 2020s would be caught in public with a caveman hair do like that  

On the subject of cavemen, the uni brow is still a thing, apart from on cavemen and the Gallagher brothers, these really shouldn't be a thing 

The interaction of "Sort your uni brow and haircut out lad" should be a thing in FM24 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, herne79 said:

Having skipped FM22 I took the plunge recently and bought FM23 so thought I'd leave some feedback.

On a positive note, I quite like the new Squad Planner.  It's a nice quick reference guide for who I may have coming through the ranks in each position and where possible gaps are (once set up).  It's a handy feature to have.

I know it's from FM22 but I also quite enjoy Deadline Day.  Colours change and there's an added sense of urgency and drama.

The new european cups graphics / music don't disappoint either and is a welcome addition.  I was also looking forward to the new style cup draws as I've always enjoyed watching the european cup draws unfold - it was brisk, fun and engaging.  Not any more however.  This was my exact thought process as I watched my very first Europa Conference draw:

"Great, love the graphics, wonder who I'll get?  ok, first team out of the hat, seems a little slow.  Second team - wow this is slow.  Aha - speed x3, awesome.  oh still slow...  Ahh an Advance button.  ok that's quicker but I'm not sitting here clicking 50 times - Advance to end.  Well that sucked."

So the draws for me have gone from a fun and engaging process (without flashy graphics) to a completely unengaging single button click to avoid the now tedious draws.  A happy mixture of the two would be great.

And speaking of graphics...no, not stadiums or the 3D graphics engine in match (which I actually think are alright).  And not even the completely pointless manager editor at the start of the game.  I'm talking about newgen faces:

spacer.png

Every time I click a newgen's profile I have to look at something like this.  Honestly it's just not up to the standard of the rest of the game and actually seems to be regressing.  Looking at a profile is the only time we actually get to see our players in any sort of close up.  It sucks the life out of immersion and quite frankly isn't good enough.

In terms of immersion breaking I've also spent all previous FM iterations avoiding - as much as humanly possible - speaking to my players and it's sad to see nothing has changed in this respect.  Limiting myself to praising a hattrick or a great week in training is all well and good but anything more is a minefield.  Case in point - an agent comes to me saying he thinks his client deserves a new contract and considers himself to be an important player.  I check my squad list first and see the player in question is "Satisfied" with his game time against his agreed playing time of "impact sub".  I talk to the agent (only because not doing so will upset things) and sure enough I have no option to say "what are you talking about, Dave is satisfied with his playing time".  So I end up upsetting him anyway.  The sad part is I'm not surprised because it's been the same for years.

I also remain disappointed with additions to the tactics screen.  The linking lines (which have been around for a while now) are meaningless to the point of being misleading.  Every so often someone starts a thread along the lines of "I'm doing alright but the lines linking my players are red, what am I doing wrong, please help".  Answer:  "The lines are only red because the game's coding doesn't think your player is suited for a role even though he is actually playing well".  The lines lack context (and always have) and are too focussed on the game's own attribute calculation rather than contextualising performance.  People get misled by this.

Linked to this is when I see pre match that my striker (for example) is "upset" because he's being played in an unfamiliar role - even though he's two seasons in to playing that role and has been performing really well throughout.  Again, a lack of context.

There are other issues of course, just as there are other good aspects to the game.  To sum up I'd say it is a good game but it gets held back from being a great game by what feels like a lack of attention to detail and one or two bad areas.

Edit - forgot to mention.  FM23 is noticeably slower continuing day to day than previous iterations, even with the same leagues / number of players loaded.  Pretty sure I saw SI say the game now processes faster (might be wrong there?) but that isn't my experience.

FM23 seems to play quicker on mine.

10 hours ago, mackboss said:

I Know that I've  asked this question before but, SI is working in another patch ???

Thank you...

There will be one further data update with the Chinese transfer window included- there are not usually any more after that one.

As for feedback regarding the squad-planer.

I dont use it as i am playing low reputation clubs climbing the leagues and i have to act immediately on the occasion, the small window a good player appears and may be accessible to me, bcs when i wait another club with a bigger reputation will render me chanceless to contract such a player - therefore that tool is useless to me.

I also dont use the squad planing meetings, i never have gotten anything out of it and started to ignore them, click them through to minimize time loss.

These things are for the top dog clubs with a dominating reputation that have the players jump on thier call and that is just not how i have fun playing the game. :)

Edited by Etebaer

On 16/04/2023 at 19:09, DMaster2 said:

If this is the final update i'm going to uninstall and reinstall 21. I literally can't even create my own custom leagues in the pre editor because i suffer from this bug

and the game always crash after a while using a database affected by this issue. The state of this game is truly embarassing, they got my money this year but fm24 will remain on the shelves that's for sure.

Thanks for your reply,

Iam a mod in 2 FM Discord servers, and I havent purchased FM23 so far.

The interaction with the users had sldo reached new lows.

This game does not stick.

En 22/4/2023 a las 7:16, FrazT dijo:

There will be one further data update with the Chinese transfer window included- there are not usually any more after that one.

Thank you but when ??

Because it will put together with FM24 if they neglect....

Yo-yo clubs. There are too many of them. AI clubs tend not to evolve over time. 20 seaons from now, I still expect Bournemouth to be bouncing back and forth between the top two tiers of England, while few clubs rise up or drop down multiple levels. I would love to see AI clubs become a bit more volatile to make the game less predictable.

On 22/04/2023 at 11:55, Etebaer said:

As for feedback regarding the squad-planer.

I dont use it as i am playing low reputation clubs climbing the leagues and i have to act immediately on the occasion, the small window a good player appears and may be accessible to me, bcs when i wait another club with a bigger reputation will render me chanceless to contract such a player - therefore that tool is useless to me.

I also dont use the squad planing meetings, i never have gotten anything out of it and started to ignore them, click them through to minimize time loss.

These things are for the top dog clubs with a dominating reputation that have the players jump on thier call and that is just not how i have fun playing the game. :)

Why do you hold meetings, and not disable them, if you just click through them?

9 hours ago, herne79 said:

have a Board objective to develop the best youth system in the country

I’d argue that it shouldn’t even be something you’re judged on because you’re not the one building it or putting out the money to build it. 
All you can do is ask for it to be improved and even if the club is doing well financially they can still reject your request so what’s the point of judging you on it

18 hours ago, Overmars said:

Yo-yo clubs. There are too many of them. AI clubs tend not to evolve over time. 20 seaons from now, I still expect Bournemouth to be bouncing back and forth between the top two tiers of England, while few clubs rise up or drop down multiple levels. I would love to see AI clubs become a bit more volatile to make the game less predictable.

I find its a lot less predictable if you have those leagues in full detail

I'm not holding my breath on international management in FM24, but I really REALLY hope SI improves immersion. Currently there really isn't much difference in terms of immersion whether you're playing in EPL or 3rd Swedish division. The game is mostly a tactics manager, not football manager. The systems for immersion are in place, but they either don't work well and are buggy, or simply lack context and presentation. FM24 is in a lot of ways just like a franchise hockey manager - you're just managing rosters and tactics, and the rest of the game is either not there or doesn't work well or is not fun or engaging. 

I think I'd be ok with FM as it is, without meaningful fully functioning entertaining immersion features, but processing time makes it too unwieldy. I suppose you can play with a small database and just a few nations loaded, but this would take even more away from any semblance of immersion. 

I do feel like FM 23 has been the weakest upgrade over the previous year's version that I can recall. I'm finding it very tough to stick around past a 2-3 season mark. It's just the same thing year in and year out. 

3 minutes ago, azymin said:

I'm not holding my breath on international management in FM24, but I really REALLY hope SI improves immersion. Currently there really isn't much difference in terms of immersion whether you're playing in EPL or 3rd Swedish division. The game is mostly a tactics manager, not football manager. The systems for immersion are in place, but they either don't work well and are buggy, or simply lack context and presentation. FM24 is in a lot of ways just like a franchise hockey manager - you're just managing rosters and tactics, and the rest of the game is either not there or doesn't work well or is not fun or engaging. 

I think I'd be ok with FM as it is, without meaningful fully functioning entertaining immersion features, but processing time makes it too unwieldy. I suppose you can play with a small database and just a few nations loaded, but this would take even more away from any semblance of immersion. 

I do feel like FM 23 has been the weakest upgrade over the previous year's version that I can recall. I'm finding it very tough to stick around past a 2-3 season mark. It's just the same thing year in and year out. 

This is when you need to change the language in game to the local language, get on street maps to have a look around, play local music and my favourite is to tune into a local radio station over the internet.

I get your point though, but what do you suggest in-game that they could do to make each league feel different?

4 hours ago, DarJ said:

I’d argue that it shouldn’t even be something you’re judged on because you’re not the one building it or putting out the money to build it. 
All you can do is ask for it to be improved and even if the club is doing well financially they can still reject your request so what’s the point of judging you on it

Exactly, doesnt make any sense for it to be an objective for a manager/coach

55 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

This is when you need to change the language in game to the local language, get on street maps to have a look around, play local music and my favourite is to tune into a local radio station over the internet.

I get your point though, but what do you suggest in-game that they could do to make each league feel different?

Order some local food online? 

I think that things like newspaper "clippings" with actual context that makes sense - hey! Wrexham promoted after 15 years! Wild scenes in the streets! 

Or, Gothenburg have won the title/advanced in Europa league, can they ever repeat winning the Europa league? 

Goal.com - transfer rumors that actually make sense. Team is promoted - do they need to strengthen their squad? 

1st winner on Portuguese title outside of big three! Since Boavista (?).  

Board that actually does things? Other than decline requests for not real reason?

Actual meaningful squad and agent dynamics? 

I'm sure there are other things, and frankly I haven't given it too much thought, but I'm also not getting paid to improve the game. 

As I mentioned, I think the systems are largely in place, but they need a lot of improvements and context HAS to be there. It doesn't matter how good a system is, if it completely lacks context. 

I guess more variety would be good too. I barely ever attend a press conference at this point. 

Also there's a feature in franchise hockey manager where a players ratings are recalculated based on performance and development algorithm. 

I would LOVE to see that feature in FM! Though I guess player ratings would need to work properly 1st...

On 20/04/2023 at 09:15, herne79 said:

On a positive note, I quite like the new Squad Planner.  It's a nice quick reference guide for who I may have coming through the ranks in each position and where possible gaps are (once set up).  It's a handy feature to have.

It seems I spoke too soon.

Having spent a while setting it all up to show the strength in depth of players for each position at my club, even adding in my youth intake, I get to the season end.  Other teams start to get interested in some of my players so I switch to the Squad Planner to see what depth I may have in those positions / where I might need to strengthen and find it has been completely messed up.  I won’t be wasting my time using it again.

I can’t report it as a bug because the UI section is closed (hopefully someone already has) and I couldn’t provide a game save of just before the issue happened anyway because I don’t know when it happened - sometime in the 3 months between intake day and summer transfer window.

Having purchased the game recently (hence all the recent feedback) overall I’m just disappointed with it.  New features which either don’t work or are tedious to sit through; long standing issues which remain unresolved; a lack of consistency; meaningless (and misleading) tactical feedback; poor newgen graphics; the interaction minefield; and so on.

Am 24.4.2023 um 08:17 schrieb b2khn:

Why do you hold meetings, and not disable them, if you just click through them?

I have not expected a parameter to disable them, so i did not look for one...

Also in the click routine i usually click through them b4 realizing its that thing again and then its out of my mind until the next one.

Edited by Etebaer

hace 6 minutos, themedicalcar dijo:

I doubt that's true

For proof here's an example from the team you support

Screenshot2023-04-25161954.png.149088128da691ff644b5557f37d2071.png

And in case you think I reproduced this

https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/real-oviedo/2851

Have a nice day

TMC xx

12, 6, 8, 8 , 11 are the blocked shoot per game in my  last 5 games in the game, whitout know the answer  first ask, cause maths never fail , do u need the screenshots to make your doubts away?

3 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I have not expected a parameter to disable them, so i did not look for one...

Also in the click routine i usually click through them b4 realizing its that thing again and then its out of my mind until the next one.

It's one of the first things to do, at least for me, is to disable every staff feedback and meeting requests.

Saves time.

hace 1 hora, themedicalcar dijo:

Well at least you are trying to back it up with evidence which you haven't for the last several posts, I respect that

No idea about who you are , i didn't post here since months and  I recommend you to find a hobby and in case you post here just bring with something to add to the topic, stop being a Bully.

Case if someone speaks here without any evidence or info its you: "I doubt that's true" .

Respect the Forum.  

Edited by ostkiz

I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue that's appeared in my game. Whenever I go to the scout priorities view and click my own created view, the game just crashes. Is this a known issue or is it easy to fix?

EDIT: I think I've fixed it by simply deleting current view and doing it again. How odd.

Screenshot_38.png.37295a4d1bc1ccead09769320f4cf1e5.png

Edited by Murtiniiii

18 hours ago, Cro-cop said:

The only way SI will change their approach is if they get a big hit financially. And that can only happen if people stop buying the game. I started this year. Problem, for me, is that a lot of customers probably are casual players who dont care about these bugs and will continue buying game no matter what. Thats why i dont see anything changing in the near future.  They are bussines, so as long as the numbers are good they dont care what long time players are complaining about, no matter what they say.

Ignoring years old bugs while at the same time adding half baked "features" seems to be a winning formula for the company. 

I wish something will change soon but i doubt. FM 23 really killed any hope i had in this game.

It is pretty awful since the update,what a shame.

Now this is what i can an injury (its the longest i remember in all FM games i ever played) and the poor bloke decided to leave at the end of the season which has 1 matchday left:rcrdnjr.thumb.png.2cb13b4c69f4ade43d4fa110f546d873.png

Edited by Etebaer

been an avid player of FM for many years however have struggled with lag on the new version for a long time. I suffer from autism & ocd so I’m quite picky when it comes to things being right however on this version it hasn’t been. Have had 2 gaming laptops 1 Intel I7 the other AMD Ryzen which have both struggled to run the game without lag. Both these laptops are £1000+ gaming machines which should easily run a game of this issue without any major issues. Don’t know if it’s just me or not but I’ve tried to change pretty much every setting going and still the issues persist so much that I’ve had to send the laptops back at a loss. Starting to think it’s the game and not the laptop issue. 
Any help would be appreciated. The laptops are both 120HZ plus screens and have dedicated Nvidia 3500 and 4000 graphics cards. 
Am happy to do any testing you need to make the game as good as it can be 

just posting this in here to see if anyone else has similar examples. 

Regards James 

2 hours ago, jamesdenson1997 said:

been an avid player of FM for many years however have struggled with lag on the new version for a long time. I suffer from autism & ocd so I’m quite picky when it comes to things being right however on this version it hasn’t been. Have had 2 gaming laptops 1 Intel I7 the other AMD Ryzen which have both struggled to run the game without lag. Both these laptops are £1000+ gaming machines which should easily run a game of this issue without any major issues. Don’t know if it’s just me or not but I’ve tried to change pretty much every setting going and still the issues persist so much that I’ve had to send the laptops back at a loss. Starting to think it’s the game and not the laptop issue. 
Any help would be appreciated. The laptops are both 120HZ plus screens and have dedicated Nvidia 3500 and 4000 graphics cards. 
Am happy to do any testing you need to make the game as good as it can be 

just posting this in here to see if anyone else has similar examples. 

Regards James 

You might have tried them, but there are some things here that might solve it:

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10002466293009-What-should-I-do-if-I-m-seeing-poor-match-engine-performance-in-Football-Manager-

If not, then you can submit a support ticket for direct help here:

https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

Had this been said ...

I conceded a goal from a penalty that hit the bar, rebounded to the penalty taker who popped it in the goal. From the replay my goalie doesn't look like he touched the ball onto the bar. Therefore the goal should not have been allowed as a different player has to have touched the ball before the penalty taker can touch it again. 

On this occasion I won the match and it was a friendly but I would have been raging if circumstances had been different!

27 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Had this been said ...

I conceded a goal from a penalty that hit the bar, rebounded to the penalty taker who popped it in the goal. From the replay my goalie doesn't look like he touched the ball onto the bar. Therefore the goal should not have been allowed as a different player has to have touched the ball before the penalty taker can touch it again. 

On this occasion I won the match and it was a friendly but I would have been raging if circumstances had been different!

Haven't seen that myself this year, if the tracker was still open, I'd be logging it. Usually you see reports for when the penalty's hit the post and the taker hasn't followed up :D

20230428_042053.thumb.jpg.b9f5e4b2f89969a86933f3d0e0e17b5a.jpgHi.  Long-time player of the game, veteran you might say.

I am using a fairly heavily modded editor file using the original version of the FM23 database (lots of transfer updates etc) which never usually causes an issue.

Playing a save in Scotland with Heart of Midlothian.  I have most leagues set to viewable, and pretty much the whole database of players in use.  The game works fine, and chugs along reasonably well, but just recently I have been getting a weird problem when making substitutions during a match.

Basically it seems to be role-related.  Most of the time when I bring a player on, there is no green/amber/red marker for positional ability shown for the sub.  I also sometimes (not every time and not every position/player) cannot change the selected role for the player, they are all greyed out and there is a comment of "Playername will use the same role as anyone playing here" and although I can move players around on the pitch, the positional markers change randomly and often make no sense.  

I have not noticed this until very recently and it is really starting to annoy me now during games as I am not sure if it is affecting the effectiveness of my subs/tactics.  Anyone had similar issues, and offer any solutions?  I have been persevering with it for a while but would like to try and fix it.

So I have added a photo on here (apologies for the quality!) - It clearly shows that I have made some subs and I have also changed a tactic.  So Barrie McKay on AML position set to inside forward on support, is normally classed as Natural in this role (4.5 stars suitability) - He has not been affected by subbing, only by the change of tactic back to my 1st trained tactic (he was previously IF 20230428_042053.thumb.jpg.b9f5e4b2f89969a86933f3d0e0e17b5a.jpg(Att) in my 3rd trained tactic.  My subs are Lewis at LB, Shankland at CF and Dele-Bashiru at RCM who as you can see have got no positional ratings.  I checked multiple times during the 2nd half but nothing changed with their display.  Haring, Atkinson, and Vassilev's ratings are also slightly off too. 

Edited by gazzaon
Adding a pic

13 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Looks like it could be a skin issue @gazzaon

Haha yeah could be.  I had forgotten I was using a custom skin, it's been on there for so long!  I've reverted back to the original "out of the box" one and will see how it goes...thanks for that one!

1 hour ago, Domoboy23 said:

Is there anyway to cross off and remove a player from a recruitment focus? Mind-boggling if not

I believe in fm22 when you discarded a players report he went on discard list for a year and didn't come up in your reports during that time. It doesn't seem to work that way in fm23. Just another thing that worked fine and now it no longer does.

9 hours ago, azymin said:

I believe in fm22 when you discarded a players report he went on discard list for a year and didn't come up in your reports during that time. It doesn't seem to work that way in fm23. Just another thing that worked fine and now it no longer does.

Thanks. I meant more in the actual recruitment focus though, so not your suggested list which incorporates some players from those, but if you click on an actual focus and look at the match list.  There's no option to click on a player and go ''no, please remove as I have no interest in looking at this player on my list of 112 and want some of my screen space back''.

Since when have the posts and crossbar been 3ft wide, never seen so many shots his the woodwork in my life and that's by both teams, makes a mockery of this game, add in players with high dribbling who can't beat a man, wingbacks and wingers who never go past a defender and cut back inside all the time and players ignoring work ball into the box and still shoot from around 25yds out. Enjoyment levels in FM23 are almost zero, this game is as bad as last years and that was rank rotten, SI need to get their fingers out or they'll lose loads of fans of this game.