*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

29 minuti fa, Nick_CB ha scritto:

Disappointed that they didn't fix the aerial duels issue. Defenders and Strickers disputing an average of 10 aerial duels per match. 

give it more time. maybe you were up against teams using target man or those that play very counterattacking pumping lots of direct balls. if it happens consistently against teams that play a patient possession game with short strikers up front, it might suggest there's some kind of a problem. either stats are being miscalculated or indeed the ME.

also, you could expect that behaviour more often if you consistently use a high defensive line and high press. a direct ball is the simplest way to avoid pressing, especially for teams with lower technical ability and/or those expecting to lose against you.

Edited by MBarbaric

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a couple of games and see big differences 

• Never realised how much of the chaos was nerfed in the post Beta update and its so refreshing that its back 
  • Wingers like Sancho struggled constantly but now playing better 
  • Feels much more fluid - felt so scripted before hand 

18 minutos atrás, MBarbaric disse:

give it more time. maybe you were up against teams using target man or those that play very counterattacking pumping lots of direct balls. if it happens consistently against teams that play a patient possession game with short strikers up front, it might suggest there's some kind of a problem. either stats are being miscalculated or indeed the ME.

also, you could expect that behaviour more often if you consistently use a high defensive line and high press. a direct ball is the simplest way to avoid pressing, especially for teams with lower technical ability and/or those expecting to lose against you.

I understand your point of view. The only reason why this bothers me is the player rating, it seems that headers have a high weight in the player rating issue and this ends up creating a false perspective of the player being good or bad in a match. Not to mention that tall players in any position, even if they are terrible technically, are more likely to excel.

Love some of the UI fixes. The fact I can now look at a recruitment focus list and:

a) sort it by an order and the order be correct

and

b) click onto a player, go back and have the same list up again rather than it resetting or taking me out of it is an absolute sanity saver

15 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Love some of the UI fixes. The fact I can now look at a recruitment focus list and:

a) sort it by an order and the order be correct

and

b) click onto a player, go back and have the same list up again rather than it resetting or taking me out of it is an absolute sanity saver

Oh nice! That was a major bug bear of mine, so pleased to hear this is fixed. Sometimes I can/like to get lost in player searches, so this is indeed great news! 

1 hour ago, Lempicka said:

I've got that age old dilemma. It's taken me ages to get into FM23 and now the new patch comes along. I'm only three seasons in - so it's not the end of the world if I restart.

"To continue, or start again, that is the question:
Whether it's nobler in the mind to suffer
Binning off a save in favour of another..."

After 6 seasons. I’ve decided to start a new save following the new patch. It feels like a hell of a commitment because there’s so much to do to make a club your own. 
But I felt a fresh start was necessary!

2 hours ago, azymin said:

Based on patch notes they have attempted to fix some of the symptoms of squads getting older - international selection and teams loaning out players, but they haven't fixed he underlying issue of young players' reputation, which is the primary cause of the mayhem. 

Would've been nice to get some communication from SI regarding why they did what they did (perhaps reputation fix would take too long?).

Does anyone know if they attempted to fix reputation issue?

I think I've read most of the SI responses to this and they have made amendments, but I also think it needs more. That said, I think I read that just bumping the reputation had some serious side effects, so I think it's a deeper issue than just turning a dial. I think we just have to keep posting bug reports for this with examples. I know I have pushed as much as I can about this, since I mostly play long term saves myself. Don't quote me on this though, as I couldn't find the posts I'm referring to here, so I'm being deliberately vague as I don't want to spread misinformation.

51 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

God, that was annoying. Happy is fixed now.

4 hours ago, Mitza said:

Some of the players CA/PA are still questionable, to say the least. English players and other PL players are still overrated as hell compared to other leagues. Just look at Chelsea's squad for example (Fofana, Mount, Havertz).

Gavi, Balde and Nico Williams with lower PA than Caicedo, Alfie Devine, Harvey Elliott, Bella-Kotchap.

U19 players of 150+ PA: 11 in France, 42 in England. 

You know these are set by researchers for each club so the Barcelona and Spain researcher would have done Gavi for example then the Liverpool and English researcher would have done Harvey Elliott. You should take it up with the researchers for those clubs and countries.

7 minutes ago, woodsy1983 said:

You know these are set by researchers for each club so the Barcelona and Spain researcher would have done Gavi for example then the Liverpool and English researcher would have done Harvey Elliott. You should take it up with the researchers for those clubs and countries.

Partly, but SI also have a responsibility to sanity check and balance between the various researchers to ensure a balanced gameworld - some researchers are bound to over-hype the players at their clubs and some will be too restrained.

Edited by rp1966

4 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Partly, but SI also have a responsibility to sanity check and balance between the various researchers - some are bound to over-hype the players at their clubs and some will be too restrained.

Agree. They have to do some degree of calibration - they have all the data obviously - over and above any guidelines or you'd get player ratings all over the shop.

It's an English-derived game and there is going to be some over arching bias, as long as they don't get too carried away it sorts itself out over time.

Edited by CaptCanuck

• SI Staff

Hello, since the release of the FM23 Main Data Update 23.3, we are aware that some users cannot load specific save games.

If anybody is encountering this issue, please see the below thread where we have posted a potential fix, thank you.

18 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, since the release of the FM23 Main Data Update 23.3, we are aware that some users cannot load specific save games.

If anybody is encountering this issue, please see the below thread where we have posted a potential fix, thank you.

So this has noting to do with the pre- editor not saving because of an Asian Qualifying bug

hace 5 horas, Sanel dijo:

Screenshot? Also upload it in the bug tracker as previously been said.

Checking your post history this seems a db choice issue, nothing else. And yes, I do. I got 17 playable leagues loaded and 100k+ players.

Can you tell me how many players under 25 are in the Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian, English and France squads in World Cup 2030?

Can you tell me how many players under 25 have been playing in that squads in WC 2022?

Because the difference is more than painful

And my save have 15 leagues playable, so it's not a DB issue

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I think I've read most of the SI responses to this and they have made amendments, but I also think it needs more. That said, I think I read that just bumping the reputation had some serious side effects, so I think it's a deeper issue than just turning a dial. I think we just have to keep posting bug reports for this with examples. I know I have pushed as much as I can about this, since I mostly play long term saves myself. Don't quote me on this though, as I couldn't find the posts I'm referring to here, so I'm being deliberately vague as I don't want to spread misinformation.

Thanks for your reply @XaW!

Do you know if it's something they're still working on? I certainly would hope so, since it's kind of a big deal for long term saves.

11 minutes ago, danielw08 said:

Will there be another update to fix the remaining bugs?

Not usually unless there’s anything literally making the game unplayable (not just unplayable for someone who has a different view of something).

1 hour ago, Zachary Whyte said:

My issue has been more FM crashing when starting a new save after the update. So, in my case, this potential fix might not apply. However, I will be running a file validation from steam, it might be a problem of a customized file. Thank you.

12 minutes ago, woodsy1983 said:

Not usually unless there’s anything literally making the game unplayable (not just unplayable for someone who has a different view of something).

I play as sporting director, that is, I am responsible for transfers and contracts, and my assistant is responsible for tactics and training. And how do I fix it? I don't know whether to wait for an update or start a new game?

image.thumb.png.9d1a88d79d1ea003eef5877da5d065f6.png

image.thumb.png.89b6830c69f204f4dd7d2857a76ae2a3.png

8 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Inverted fullbacks by design are meant to defend as fullbacks. In possession depending on your setup, they will play as DMs in possession or as fullbacks. I don't understand what you mean by "properly implemented", its been implemented as originally designed. If you want IWBs to defend as a central defender then you need to raise that as a feature request.

I was referring to them in the possession phase rather than in the defensive phase. My expectation would be an inverted fullback on defend would (depending on other roles) create a back 3 in possession albeit I accept it maybe would end up being its own role if that is not the correct nomenclature. 

Edit to expand if not clear: I appreciate you can set up a 2-3 in possession but I was asking/hoping you would be able to set up a 3-2 shape.

Edited by JackInDerBox

1 hour ago, azymin said:

Thanks for your reply @XaW!

Do you know if it's something they're still working on? I certainly would hope so, since it's kind of a big deal for long term saves.

I don't know, but I encourage everyone who sees issues to report them in the bug tracker. Don't be worried if someone else has reported it or something similar. Report and upload a savegame showing the issue is the only way to get further eyes on it. I will certainly do so if I start a new save and see it for myself. I am very keen on this to be further improved upon no matter if it's this version or a future FM, I just want it as good as it can be.

3 hours ago, kiingallen said:

After 6 seasons. I’ve decided to start a new save following the new patch. It feels like a hell of a commitment because there’s so much to do to make a club your own. 
But I felt a fresh start was necessary!

This is my current dilemma with a save going in MLS. The amount of time it takes to build a contender-level roster in the league under the cap that can play the style of football you want... but, then again, isn't that the fun of it all? 

From what I saw, so far, my main gripes (build up not being that good, lots of rush from the moment the midfield was crossed, and the midfielders always losing the ball) were corrected and are much better and realistic.

I like it, still have to play it a lot more, but would say that this update has done wonders and would give my props to SI.

Edited by josel15

Going off a small sample size, but it appears that game management might be more important than ever. Played five games, and I've now blown a 3 goal lead and 3x 2 goal leads in the later stages, once they get one goal it's like it all just goes to hell and the equaliser is inevitable, but I'm also not really changing anything to see the game out so a lot of that is on me

11 hours ago, BuDbuD said:

Skin issue, surely. Whenever I have an issue like this I always clear cache and revert to an official skin to check if the issue is still present.

wrong, it isn't a skin issue. Others are having it.

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

Going off a small sample size, but it appears that game management might be more important than ever. Played five games, and I've now blown a 3 goal lead and 3x 2 goal leads in the later stages, once they get one goal it's like it all just goes to hell and the equaliser is inevitable, but I'm also not really changing anything to see the game out so a lot of that is on me

Yes you HAVE to adapt. That’s given in this version. When you hit the 60 minute mark go cautious. Less pressing etc

Not regens, but as for U-19 players, in the pre-editor game, a lot of players have in the Maximum Potential Ability field "249" ? Hasn't this field have a maximum of 200 value ?

Several others U-19 has (in the same field) "191", which I wouldn't say it is normal.

And others have the maximum potential ability inferior to maximum capacity ability. This would mean what ? That the player will not evolve ?

All this come from just looking at FC Porto. Quite odd :confused:

6 hours ago, albertocerdeira.4 said:

Can you tell me how many players under 25 are in the Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian, English and France squads in World Cup 2030?

Can you tell me how many players under 25 have been playing in that squads in WC 2022?

Because the difference is more than painful

And my save have 15 leagues playable, so it's not a DB issue

I started a new game on 23.3 and simulated to 2030 with a db of choice, around 50k ish players. This are my observations:

- There many <25 players, but not many <23

- Most 'young' players are 22, with exceptions

- Spain and Brazil have a regen in their squad which is 20

- There are indeed still too many old players in elite squads, especially France

- France has no regens in their WC squad as their youngest player is 25 and oldest is 34

- Brazil has a regen in their WC squad which is 20, their oldest players are Ederson and Alisson, 36 and 37

So is it fixed? No. Could it be better? Yes indeed.

You want to know what's really sad?  The whole old players too good, retire too early, lose stats too quick...don't...do...newgens...whatever,....nothing new guys...don't ever expect it to be fixed at this stage until we get a completely new engine.

Edited by Maviarab

4 hours ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

This is my current dilemma with a save going in MLS. The amount of time it takes to build a contender-level roster in the league under the cap that can play the style of football you want... but, then again, isn't that the fun of it all? 

Easy! Two years, max. Year one: recruit young, foreign talent on DP or U22 contracts. In less than 12 months they'll be snatched from under your nose. Watch your GAM go through the roof and recruit with what feels like zero restrictions.

The issue isn't building the squad, it's retaining the little buggers!

I was a big fan of the ME before the update.

Somehow I've been blown away even more. Some of the play, the dribbling, the counter attacks, the last ditch tackles, the keeper save animations... incredible. Really well done.

Only thing I would say is I'm not sure if the ME has been sped up a bit? Or if it's just me managing a team with pace and expected to win the league for the first time on FM23!

6 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

I was a big fan of the ME before the update.

Somehow I've been blown away even more. Some of the play, the dribbling, the counter attacks, the last ditch tackles, the keeper save animations... incredible. Really well done.

Only thing I would say is I'm not sure if the ME has been sped up a bit? Or if it's just me managing a team with pace and expected to win the league for the first time on FM23!

IMHO I agree it's a little zippier. I play 2 notches up from the middle on Data Analyst view and everyone scoots around a bit quicker than before.

Some of the player attribute updates (based on starting a new Ligue 2 save with Niort, after getting 3.5 seasons in on the previous DB) IDK where they are coming from?

How could it be so off the mark that you take a player with a 15+ Determination and switch them to 8 or less? (Wayne Caddy & Lesley Ugochukwu being 2 examples) Another example, Ryan Bakayoko going from 15 Composure to 8? These are just a couple players I wanted to check, so I don't know how widespread these massive swings are, but it's not particularly great.

Edited by CaptCanuck

10 hours ago, mozza79 said:

My keeper has gone from being good and solid for many seasons to an absolute clown since the update, drops a clanger a game.

Glad I saw your post. Damn, I'm in fourth season with an all British Stoke, finished twice in the top 4 and miraculously won the CL with an amazing Nick Pope (7.15+). Now I'm 16th in the league, condeded 22 goals after 8 games and Pope has an amazing 6.37 rating. What happened? Can't just be the opponent catching up on my tactic or the season preview changing from 12th to 9th. Did the game become much harder or did I start to suck at FM overnight. 

1 hour ago, CaptCanuck said:

Some of the player attribute updates (based on starting a new Ligue 2 save with Niort, after getting 3.5 seasons in on the previous DB) IDK where they are coming from?

How could it be so off the mark that you take a player with a 15+ Determination and switch them to 8 or less? (Wayne Caddy & Lesley Ugochukwu being 2 examples) Another example, Ryan Bakayoko going from 15 Composure to 8? These are just a couple players I wanted to check, so I don't know how widespread these massive swings are, but it's not particularly great.

I have only noticed it with Leeds but there have been some crazy swings there too. The updates to stats seem reactive to current form and are not indicative of the ability over a period of time.

Rodrigo Moreno, for example, has had his finishing increased. He has had a purple patch this season and is Leeds’ top scorer. The form should not have warranted a change in stats, particularly as the updated stats are based over such a short period of time. 

The opposite has happened with Bamford. He is going through a goal draught at the moment in real life. His confidence is suffering. However, his finishing has been dropped from around 15 to 11. The stat is again based on form rather than capability. I would argue that his finishing should have never been as high as it was but it shouldn’t be quite as low as 11.

FM isn’t normally so reactive to updating player stats based on form, so I wonder what has changed this year.

1 hour ago, ccordoba said:

Glad I saw your post. Damn, I'm in fourth season with an all British Stoke, finished twice in the top 4 and miraculously won the CL with an amazing Nick Pope (7.15+). Now I'm 16th in the league, condeded 22 goals after 8 games and Pope has an amazing 6.37 rating. What happened? Can't just be the opponent catching up on my tactic or the season preview changing from 12th to 9th. Did the game become much harder or did I start to suck at FM overnight. 

What was an effective tactic is now not so much? I’m having similar issues (albeit not as bad as this). I was absolutely flying until the update, now, we’re doing ok but nowhere near as dominant.

I’ll give it a while longer but I can SEE in the ME we’re not as fluid as we once were. We’re not creating the sort of space we once were. So I need to tweak my tactic. Especially for my ST, who is not getting the sort of chances he used to get pre update.

6 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

What was an effective tactic is now not so much? I’m having similar issues (albeit not as bad as this). I was absolutely flying until the update, now, we’re doing ok but nowhere near as dominant.

I’ll give it a while longer but I can SEE in the ME we’re not as fluid as we once were. We’re not creating the sort of space we once were. So I need to tweak my tactic. Especially for my ST, who is not getting the sort of chances he used to get pre update.

Yeah, I've done a subtle tweak to mine and I'm doing far better than before the update. Pulled back from Positive to Balanced and removed a TI and it's just been amazing.