*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

I don't think I've ever seen one of my players reach the ball first when it's come back off the woodwork from a free-kick, or the keeper has stopped a penalty (or shot) and the ball's still in play.

They just stand there while the defender blooters it into row z.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I've come to the conclusion that FM23 is schizophrenic

This goal is beautiful, I love the animation of the goal

This is terrible animation/coding

I think this is why it's my least favourite game as it tricks you into thinking it's good before hitting you with a dreadful bug or animation issue.

At least a game like FM19 had the decency to just be consistently bad

There are too many headers in the FM23 match engine.

In the real-life EPL this season, the leading player in terms of aerial challenges won is Mitrovic with 74 aerial challenges won in 16 games. That's 4.6 headers won per game, and most players are averaging well beneath that mark.

In FM23, every EPL team in my save has at least one starting player who is averaging over 10 aerial challenges won per game. 50 EPL players receiving regular starter minutes are averaging over 10 headers won per game. On many teams, at least 10 players are averaging more headers won than Mitrovic's real-life mark of 4.6 per game. The difference between FM23's headers stats and real life header stats is staggering. Long ball after long ball is lofted forward to ST, AML, and AMR players in FM23, and it doesn't matter which formation or tactic is being used.

I picked up FM23 again after playing it for a full season with the release and since the patch I feel the matches don't feel as good since the first patch. At release the midfield was a bit more chaotic and fun which felt quite natural to me and I was really enjoying it, but since the winter patch a large number of moves/goals come from balls directly over the opposition defence, who seem particularly bad at dealing with this, often failing to track a forward player. You rarely see teams camp out the opposition area and play balls in, because they don't need to, just send a ball over the top and they will get a shot on goal. Perhaps this is a knock-on effect of the reduced chaos in the midfield.

It's also where the match engine stumbles on immersion. A lot of times you see a player pick up a ball in the middle of the park with his back to goal, turn and then hit a long ball with perfect accuracy, despite not even having time to look at where his teammate would be. I know there are complaints in here about dribbling from inverted wingers and such but honestly if this aspect of the game was fixed I'd be pretty happy with the rest of the engine.

To be positive, I will say the improved animations are great. Every year the look of players in terms of their movement looks significantly better every year. Tactically the game also feels more flexible with the improvement to defensive tactics.

12 minutes ago, Steve1977beyond said:

I wonder if peoples issues would be the same if they were watching in 2D as opposed to 3D? In 2D your brain fills in the gaps whereas 3D is there for all to see and as has been discussed numerous times, it ain't pretty.

Its not that bad either . Seen a lot worse

The game has become more and more, moral manager, rather than a football manager. 

These professionals are adults, and they will give pretty much their all regardless, barring a situation where the entire team is losing week after week. 

The most annoying thing about this game is the shouts in-game. My team are all 'composed', game-is at nil-nil. I give them some encouragement, which would almost always inspire them. However, should you be lucky enough to score right after you've given them encouragement, they become unhappy. Well, I encouraged BEFORE they scored. Why is it only applied after. This happens so often it is infuriating. 

I seriously doubt I'll ever purchase fm again and I've been playing since the beginning. 

36 minutes ago, robbbbbbb said:

These professionals are adults, and they will give pretty much their all regardless, barring a situation where the entire team is losing week after week. 

I mean...have you watched modern football?  Whilst morale is maybe a bigger deal than it could be in the game, it does quite well modelling how childish and temperamental modern footballers are.  Although I've yet to see an entire team collectively decide not to perform so they can get someone sacked, and then magically get better afterwards, so maybe they're lacking there.

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

I mean...have you watched modern football?  Whilst morale is maybe a bigger deal than it could be in the game, it does quite well modelling how childish and temperamental modern footballers are.  Although I've yet to see an entire team collectively decide not to perform so they can get someone sacked, and then magically get better afterwards, so maybe they're lacking there.

It's a common misconception for fans to confuse lack of effort with lack of confidence / form. Very few players are stupid enough to risk what can be very short windows of opportunity at the top. Also don't think people realise the levels of commitment you need to get there in the first place. Sorry - not having a go but get annoyed by the perception of these young men being mentally weak or childish while having to consistently perform in one of the highest pressure, competitive, workplace environments. Especially when its's men in their 40s or 50s slagging verbal abuse at kids as young as 18 or 19 ultimately trying their best.

But back to the initial point, I do actually think morale has a huge bearing on performances. You often see how quickly a team seemingly devoid of talent can suddenly turn it around off the back of one or two good results. Self-belief is a huge component of sports, on a par with the tactical side of the game IMO. 

The tricky bit when it comes to FM is making that side of the game interesting. The player and media interactions are beyond tedious and don't actually provide anything to think about but pressing a response on autopilot.

The Team Cohesion mechanic is good as it puts focus on squad balance and leadership, but is still far too easy to override with a few team building training modules. I wish it took look to build up, and would heavily penalise overhauls in personnel or lack of good personality types. 

8 hours ago, rp1966 said:

I think this also goes beyond the final third - the ME just prefers putting the ball in the air to a ground pass in a lot of situations (maybe its space-seeking algorithm biases it to booming a crossfield ball to a man in space rather than passing along the ground to a nearby player with the opposition a bit closer).

I genuinely believe the bulk of the engines issues derive from this. Any time the play become even slightly congested to immediate response is to find the space as opposed to try and play through. It's so tedious to watch and risk adverse. I want to see players attempt tight interplay, 1-2s, wiggle their way through. These are the actions in a game where the technically best players on the pitch thrive and define their worth, and atm FM properly fails to showcase that. It just lacks any type of flair or risk taking activities. 

4 hours ago, forameuss said:

Yeh of course I have. I don't disagree that there are a large number of prima donas out there plying their trade at the elite levels, I'm looking at you Neymar. What I find unrealistic in this simulator is the extent to which player morale seems to affect performance during a match. 

Let's say I encourage my Leicester side at 1-0 up, midway into second half. I want to spur them on to score again to have a cushion. Harvey Barnes loses all interest and goes into strolling mode for the next 15 minutes. The level of effort he puts in becomes virtually non-existent (think along the lines of a heavily injured player who can't be subbed off). This is a young, determined player IRL. Even if he were upset at being berated, as a professional he would keep playing to a reasonable degree of effort. 

22 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

This is terrible animation/coding

I've never had this happen in my game. If it is rare for you, I don't see the problem. I've seen in real life a goalkeeper and defender get confused and a pressing player take advantage for a goal. It is a rare blunder, but it happens.

On 17/01/2023 at 09:57, Skora11 said:

I would suggest you re-think your tactical set-up. My inside forward scores for fun.

So do mine but they are still awful. Even with players who prefer to cut in they only very occasionally do.

Think you confuse peoples issues with the way roles should play and don't with not getting success.

Fact is the Beta match engine was a huge upgrade on FM22, but patched we are back to FM22. Its similar to how EA are bold with each new Fifa on release then the good but difficult to learn new way of playing gets patched out of it.

Truly annoyed as features are thin on the ground but the beta match engine seemed worthwhile on their own, now I wish Id just stuck with FM22.

On 17/01/2023 at 08:48, Choi seung won said:

Current match engine problems

1. The midfield fight in the beta engine disappeared.

The si match engine team eventually gave up midfield fighting, which was the main feature of fm23, in order to stabilize the defense. And like fm22, we changed it to a match engine that allows all teams to play tiki-taka. Now a 4th tier team can play just like Man City and have no character whatsoever.

2. Why do inside forwards and inverted wingers exist?

In the match engine right now, inside forwards and inverted wingers are just midfielders. dribble? A bold shot? can't see it at all. Mbappe, Messi, and Salah all just hit the side and fold and force a back pass, or a shot or cross with their foot, not their main foot.

3. Lack of diversity in shooting scenes

Most shots are blocked by defensive blocking. The frequency is too high. Shooting is always too high. A variety of shooting angles should come out.

Agree with all of that. For 3 I wonder what on earth the shoot less often, looks for pass rather than shot when my DM with poor long shots and shooting, great passing, composure and vision who has easy pass options decides to blast from 30 yards at will are there for.

Such a shame as the beta was great, breaking these improvements has left us with a very poor edition this year.

On 17/01/2023 at 03:48, Choi seung won said:

The si match engine team eventually gave up midfield fighting, which was the main feature of fm23, in order to stabilize the defense. And like fm22, we changed it to a match engine that allows all teams to play tiki-taka. Now a 4th tier team can play just like Man City and have no character whatsoever.

In the match engine right now, inside forwards and inverted wingers are just midfielders. dribble? A bold shot? can't see it at all. Mbappe, Messi, and Salah all just hit the side and fold and force a back pass, or a shot or cross with their foot, not their main foot.

Most shots are blocked by defensive blocking. The frequency is too high. Shooting is always too high. A variety of shooting angles should come out.

I agree on 2 and half points here.

1. absolutely yes.

2. I half agree with you... I think that it's heavily dependent on the player in that position right now, but I do share your frustration about the way those roles are playing.

3. Abso-freaking lutely yes.

I would just add my own observations, which I've outlined above, regarding the mistakes in midfield. 

On 17/01/2023 at 16:48, Choi seung won said:

The chaos with the midfield football was heavily advertised as a feature when the game was about to be released.  Now its gone . 

Is this now not false advertising!!!

If you purchased the game knowing  that a feature is included then 2 weeks later they remove it is there no compensation for the purchaser . 

If you buy any product that advertises that it does something but it doesn't then you return it dont you.  

Not sure how game makers get around this but I've always thought that this industry needs to be better regulated 

10 hours ago, DMVian said:

I've never had this happen in my game. If it is rare for you, I don't see the problem. I've seen in real life a goalkeeper and defender get confused and a pressing player take advantage for a goal. It is a rare blunder, but it happens.

It’s not the issue that it happens, it’s that it’s so poorly animated

22 hours ago, dannyfc said:

I genuinely believe the bulk of the engines issues derive from this. Any time the play become even slightly congested to immediate response is to find the space as opposed to try and play through. It's so tedious to watch and risk adverse. I want to see players attempt tight interplay, 1-2s, wiggle their way through. These are the actions in a game where the technically best players on the pitch thrive and define their worth, and atm FM properly fails to showcase that. It just lacks any type of flair or risk taking activities. 

Yes this is one of the biggest issues i have with the game. In a lower league game its completely acceptable to not play in tight spaces and pass to open space..

But on top level and especially if i instructed my team to go for short passes through the middle they should look to play in tight spaces...

But the game is developed to better suit lower league management than top level, if we go by how the ME represents things.. 

1 hour ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Even in a parallel universe this just doesn't seem realistic in any way. Finances aside, there's no way Ronaldo-the guy with an ego the size of Alpha Centauri-would ever be willing to manage any of these clubs in the future. 

Ronaldo_2033.thumb.jpg.bfb0aa124d73d1df5446b24bbd405bde.jpg

Why not?

FM is not a sentient AI....even a sentient AI wont be able to predict the future..

As for Ronaldo if he decides to become coach, then at the start he will absolutely coach such teams or be assistant manager in a bigger club like Pirlo and Zidane did.

1 hour ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Even in a parallel universe this just doesn't seem realistic in any way. Finances aside, there's no way Ronaldo-the guy with an ego the size of Alpha Centauri-would ever be willing to manage any of these clubs in the future. 

Ronaldo_2033.thumb.jpg.bfb0aa124d73d1df5446b24bbd405bde.jpg

If someone told me 5 years ago that Vincent Kompany would have Burnley clear at the top of the Championship, I'd have thought that was unrealistic too haha!

People have said it all in this tread, but still…

im only 200 hours into FM this year and its so boring to watch. The beta with all its flaws did a better job in showing a football game being played - now its just the same Old same Old and every match is played the same, no individuel traits showcased and ive yet to see a real dribbling attack.. headers are a plenty, as are shots from outside the Box, and tap ins..  I remember in the beta version through balls that werent over the top ball, but played inbetween the Lines in thight spots - they are now gone. The battle in midfield with chaotic ballplay is replaced with midfielders either Holding the ball for too long, turns around being dispossed or just making the long ball over the defender or to the flank.. never really to his buddy standing openly free 5 yards away.. I cant watch matches in 3D because its so obvious with these tings - in 2d I at least can pretend whats going on ;) 

its the same every year with the game - cant remember the last time FM was actually released in a good state.

use to love FM - Been playing since early 00’s … maybe its just not for me anymore

Edited by JensenS

1 hour ago, JensenS said:

no individuel traits showcased and ive yet to see a real dribbling attack.

Maybe my current save is an exception but I’ve scored plenty of goals with my inside forward or inverted winger dribbling past 3/4 players and bending one in the corner.

2 hours ago, JensenS said:

People have said it all in this tread, but still…

im only 200 hours into FM this year and its so boring to watch. The beta with all its flaws did a better job in showing a football game being played - now its just the same Old same Old and every match is played the same, no individuel traits showcased and ive yet to see a real dribbling attack.. headers are a plenty, as are shots from outside the Box, and tap ins..  I remember in the beta version through balls that werent over the top ball, but played inbetween the Lines in thight spots - they are now gone. The battle in midfield with chaotic ballplay is replaced with midfielders either Holding the ball for too long, turns around being dispossed or just making the long ball over the defender or to the flank.. never really to his buddy standing openly free 5 yards away.. I cant watch matches in 3D because its so obvious with these tings - in 2d I at least can pretend whats going on ;) 

its the same every year with the game - cant remember the last time FM was actually released in a good state.

use to love FM - Been playing since early 00’s … maybe its just not for me anymore

Strange as I see many dribbing attacks 

On 18/01/2023 at 12:22, robbbbbbb said:

The game has become more and more, moral manager, rather than a football manager. 

The most annoying thing about this game is the shouts in-game. My team are all 'composed', game-is at nil-nil. I give them some encouragement, which would almost always inspire them. However, should you be lucky enough to score right after you've given them encouragement, they become unhappy. Well, I encouraged BEFORE they scored. Why is it only applied after. This happens so often it is infuriating. 

I seriously doubt I'll ever purchase fm again and I've been playing since the beginning. 

I have started using shouts much more sparingly because of the problems they cause. This approach is quite inconsistent with Managers who stand on the touchline and communicate with their team throughout the match, something I would do in a real situation.

I have great difficulty in accepting that regardless of temperament a team or player becomes 'overwhelmed with the feedback' when encouraged. They may feel they want to ignore the manager but overwhelmed or frustrated!!!  

Other player reactions I get irritated with are when I put a few subs on and they 'would have preferred to stay on the bench'. Quite ridiculous really. I watch EFL football each week and during those games I have never seen a player who appeared to prefer to stay on the bench. Similarly in all my days of playing, the subs could hardly wait to get on to the field.

Could you imaging what Brian Clough, Neil Warnock, Alex Ferguson and hundreds more managers would say or do to a player in that situation that would suddenly 'un-frustrate' them. The words would be around the players finding themselves transfer listed pretty quickly.

The shouts are a seriously irritating part of FM and as a customer I believe they should have some serious work done on them.

Managed to get 14 games played today and I have to admit I've never enjoyed playing the game less. I don't mind conceding goals but the amount of time I watch the same highlight of watching my players getting done by the same move / long ball is boring. I've tried everything I can do tactically and it's having an effect. 

Since I've got into my third season I'm seeing a lot of the old issues starting to occur again all of a sudden, e.g. long GK kicks and defenders just standing looking. Thought these had meant to be fixed?

Edited by RenegadeMaster

Could someone please clarify me this. I have a player who is going to become unhappy because i was not able to keep my promise of him playing in a specific position with a specific role. Just the thing is, i have not played him in any other position and role but the one he asked for. Could someone please solve this riddle for me. 

463422710_Screenshot2023-01-21164539.thumb.png.a6733cb27825220e16de8d3749c9226a.png

aaa.png.c884b0f57b77d5d46a01c08eae869f6b.png

Not sure this is a bug, so I guess its a comment / complaint... 

Last few FMs, I tend to do a save in Argentina with Rosario Central. Like most clubs in Argentina, their finances are not great and its hard to become a financial power without big player sales. Central have a decent youth system so its a fun save. 

Looking at starting the FM23 save with them and I noticed a couple things that don't quite make sense to me...

First is that the club finances are almost exactly what they were on FM22. Just shy of 1.5m Euros in the bank, 150K transfer budget, around 200K wage budget. There is a pre-arranged transfer of wonderkid Facundo Buonanotte for 6m to Brighton. But in watching the club in another save, when Buonanotte moves to Bright in January 2013, the club finances don't seem to move. Which means that 6m was already "accounted for" in the database in the starting finances. But since the finances are the same as a year prior, its not at all. Not thinking Central should have a  6m starting transfer budget, but at least the bank balance should reflect that income. The club starts without significant debt so it doesn't even seem like that could be where the money has gone. Have no heard anything at all from Argentina football media about the club not owning the player's rights or anything like that.  Just quite frustrating to have wonderkid on the books and have him pre-sold but set up in a way that the human user won't see any benefit in any way at all. 

Second concern... Finished the first season in another save where I had Argentina active. Was keeping an eye on Central, which is where I noted that Buonanotte moving didn't seem to provide any financial gain. Then in the summer of 2023, Central sold another key young player - Mateo Tanlongo - to Liverpool for 3m plus another 3-4m in bonuses. And then another - Gino Infantino to West Ham for 5.75m. So with over 10m in player sales, I figured their finances would look sweet. Nope. 1.5m in the bank. I looked at a previous copy of the save (from September 2022) and they had -1.3m in the bank. In August 2023... after those 10m in sales plus the ghost 6m from Buonanotte... bank balance is 1.39m. That's a lot of money to disappear. 

If FM replicating dodgy club finances now? 

14 hours ago, Pearomaniac said:

Could someone please clarify me this. I have a player who is going to become unhappy because i was not able to keep my promise of him playing in a specific position with a specific role. Just the thing is, i have not played him in any other position and role but the one he asked for. Could someone please solve this riddle for me. 

463422710_Screenshot2023-01-21164539.thumb.png.a6733cb27825220e16de8d3749c9226a.png

I'm pretty sure because of the game against West Brom and his personality. This is a bug though.

Could also change within 16 days but this should defintely be finetuned.

Edited by Sanel

16 hours ago, Pearomaniac said:

This is absurd ffs :lol:

This petty stuff runs throughout the interaction module and is completely broken. The entire code needs ripping out and starting again with regards to promises etc. 

Somehow, when renegotiating James Maddison’s contract for a Leicester save, I included his wish to be the club’s penalty taker. Not a problem, as Vardy had just retired and Maddison was my best option. He was number 1 on the list of penalty takers in my tactics.

In the first few months (after he signed the contract) we had maybe 4-5 penalties. He took all of them (scored them all too). Then BAM! Out of nowhere, Maddison hates me for breaking the promise of being the clubs main penalty taker. Eh? ONLY Maddison has taken any penalties for me since the contract was signed! Especially if he was on the pitch. There “may” have been a penalty he didn’t take (at home to a Sunday League team in an early round of the ELC) where he wasn’t even on the bench. But really?? That’s enough for him to kick off?

It’s frustrating because as we all know happiness and morale (dynamics in general) are very important in the game. And this issue definitely threw a spanner at me.

I mean. It’s quite comical. It’s something that can be navigated around. But it’s logic isn’t realistic.

I normally avoid promises like the plague. Especially in contracts. This one slipped the net.

I HAVE found, this version, promises are almost unavoidable in some cases. Especially when players want to leave for a bigger club. But that’s actually ok to manage.

Not being the penalty taker when the player IS the penalty taker (like when a player wants to play a certain role and position - AND DOES) as promises, seems buggy to me.

AVOID.

1 hour ago, Tyburn said:

Somehow, when renegotiating James Maddison’s contract for a Leicester save, I included his wish to be the club’s penalty taker. Not a problem, as Vardy had just retired and Maddison was my best option. He was number 1 on the list of penalty takers in my tactics.

In the first few months (after he signed the contract) we had maybe 4-5 penalties. He took all of them (scored them all too). Then BAM! Out of nowhere, Maddison hates me for breaking the promise of being the clubs main penalty taker. Eh? ONLY Maddison has taken any penalties for me since the contract was signed! Especially if he was on the pitch. There “may” have been a penalty he didn’t take (at home to a Sunday League team in an early round of the ELC) where he wasn’t even on the bench. But really?? That’s enough for him to kick off?

It’s frustrating because as we all know happiness and morale (dynamics in general) are very important in the game. And this issue definitely threw a spanner at me.

I mean. It’s quite comical. It’s something that can be navigated around. But it’s logic isn’t realistic.

I normally avoid promises like the plague. Especially in contracts. This one slipped the net.

I HAVE found, this version, promises are almost unavoidable in some cases. Especially when players want to leave for a bigger club. But that’s actually ok to manage.

Not being the penalty taker when the player IS the penalty taker (like when a player wants to play a certain role and position - AND DOES) as promises, seems buggy to me.

AVOID.

Most of these bugs aren't game breaking and don't effect long term relations with players, it is annoying however.