*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

20 hours ago, andu1 said:

I think there are too many woodworks per game. It's like there is a magnet that attracts the ball to hit the bar....

Anyone having this issue? I doubt im the only one

In all my saves so far whenever I've checked the stats I have between 9% and 10% of my shots hitting the woodwork. In my current season its 9.14%, last season I think it was 9.7% when i checked.

To me, i feel like we hit the woodwork too often, I've tried looking online to find real life stats for what % hit the woodwork but I can't find anything so not sure if its true to real life or not but it feels high.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting problem appears for me as my GK runs out of contract, my finances are dire bcs of the new stadium - the credit repayment prevents me from gaining any money as the stadium is not bringing in more fans and my sponsormoney is still on lower tier value (like 5 time worse then the next lowest one) thus i am on insecure finances and i dont see any light - so i can only hire and renew with players that accept the most low possible contract.

Yet i have tried 3 new GK whom all are deemed better but i lose match after match while my old GK concedes some goals, has not the best match rating but i won more games with him.

Do i keep the winner GK with a too expensive new contract or not?

And how will i survive my bad finances?

Interesting problems!

1 hour ago, Weed07 said:

In all my saves so far whenever I've checked the stats I have between 9% and 10% of my shots hitting the woodwork. In my current season its 9.14%, last season I think it was 9.7% when i checked.

To me, i feel like we hit the woodwork too often, I've tried looking online to find real life stats for what % hit the woodwork but I can't find anything so not sure if its true to real life or not but it feels high.

Well in PL the team that hit the woodwork the most is Liverpool, 12 times so far...

I hit it 12 times in 4-5 games in-game...

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/hit_woodwork?se=489

Edited by andu1

2 hours ago, Oliver Roland said:

Do you struggle with possesion sometimes? Some game my pos is more than 60%, next I can´t get over 40...seem so unbalanced.

AI Managers that have playing style "passing" and manager tendencies "plays out of defence" and "work ball into box" will make their teams have sometimes ridiculous amount of possession. Even if they manage a relegation team they will be in top possession stats.

If you don't have the same, prepared to lose the possession stat by a mile...

I think overall, the game has lost progression and that "sizable" improvement gap has decreased dramatically over the years for quite a while now. I understand why the game doesn't look like FIFA or PES when playing out, but not even that. Graphically when you look back at the older versions the game looked so much nicer that an informative webpage. I appreciate that its almost at its ceiling in regard to what you can do as a manager in the game. However it just doesn't feel new or impressive to tell friends about. Where are dynamic potentials and dynamic abilities in the game - example Ian Wright, Jamie Vardy etc. The mental aspects of the game now are as important to say tennis these days, where is the progression on this front? Youth Academy is nice but again you can go deeper and go community coaches in the local areas just like real life. Of course there seems to be an age issue there as maybe the game doesn't want to go that young?

I do love the game, however when i think about other games and even devices they all move forward for the most part. Losing what didn't work or was less efficient and getting better with each release/launch. 

Logical answers in conversations needs to be addressed, theres been multiple instances where the appropriate responses are not available - and feels as if the game is trying to force you into a scenario/path.

OK rants over! Hope this doesn't sound like a moan! 

As per last year, I want to experience at least 4 seasons before giving all feedback but one thing that appears to be a thing once again in Football Manager is the home/away situation in the latter stages of the Champions League.  This isn't an FM23 issue, it's been for as long as I can remember, possibly 10 years or more. 

You get to the quarter finals, you're playing another big team and you thump them at home, go away and they thump you. Basically whichever team has the better home thumping gets through. It always sets up for a nail-biting end but it's just so predictable in terms of how the 2 legs play out. I've tinkered with tactics, I've played my reserve 11 against Barcelona and got a credible 2-0 then the first team got a hiding away. 
I appreciate there's an element of home advantage, I appreciate some players wilt in big stadiums but it really becomes noticeable when I play English teams in the ECL. 

Off the back of a decent 2-2 away at Liverpool in the league, we go back the next week, same tactics, comparable line-ups and play them in the ECL and lose 5-0 but don't worry Gooners because we win the home leg 7-1.  Is there some sort of match rating glitch?  I mention it because my gunners are into another ECL semi-final after a 7-5 agg against Real Madrid. Only one goal was scored by an away team.  

UEFA recently removed the away goals rule as their evidence found that "Home advantage" is much less prevalent in the professional game these days, but it's still the same in FM and it does make the competition a bit of a yawn feast. And yes, I've spent an afternoon trying all manner of tactics for the same match and it's very difficult to avoid the exchange of right hammerings over to legs. 

Anyone else found this or am I actually only any good at preparing for away matches at large clubs in the league and domestic cups?

21 minutes ago, Nonlondoner said:

As per last year, I want to experience at least 4 seasons before giving all feedback but one thing that appears to be a thing once again in Football Manager is the home/away situation in the latter stages of the Champions League.  This isn't an FM23 issue, it's been for as long as I can remember, possibly 10 years or more. 

You get to the quarter finals, you're playing another big team and you thump them at home, go away and they thump you. Basically whichever team has the better home thumping gets through. It always sets up for a nail-biting end but it's just so predictable in terms of how the 2 legs play out. I've tinkered with tactics, I've played my reserve 11 against Barcelona and got a credible 2-0 then the first team got a hiding away. 
I appreciate there's an element of home advantage, I appreciate some players wilt in big stadiums but it really becomes noticeable when I play English teams in the ECL. 

Off the back of a decent 2-2 away at Liverpool in the league, we go back the next week, same tactics, comparable line-ups and play them in the ECL and lose 5-0 but don't worry Gooners because we win the home leg 7-1.  Is there some sort of match rating glitch?  I mention it because my gunners are into another ECL semi-final after a 7-5 agg against Real Madrid. Only one goal was scored by an away team.  

UEFA recently removed the away goals rule as their evidence found that "Home advantage" is much less prevalent in the professional game these days, but it's still the same in FM and it does make the competition a bit of a yawn feast. And yes, I've spent an afternoon trying all manner of tactics for the same match and it's very difficult to avoid the exchange of right hammerings over to legs. 

Anyone else found this or am I actually only any good at preparing for away matches at large clubs in the league and domestic cups?

It’s not just you. From my experience this is definitely a thing, and has been for quite a few years. Seems to mostly kick in around the quarters. Tactics DO seem irrelevant. Switching to a low block counter tactic away from home (which has been used all season for tricky games in the league) looks unrecognisable in the champs league. And even if the engine has trouble scoring against it, I still lose to a cricket score, as suddenly my team forget how to defend corners and freekicks outside the box become more like penalties.

I understand the need for drama. I don’t mind losing away from home. I just wish it was by the odd goal or two. Not always 5!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share some thoughts on the current state of the match engine. I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks, too. So please reply with your own thoughts if you could.

The Good

- I think the AI managers are doing a good job of adjusting things in match.

- Playing in a more "defensive" manner is much easier to accomplish in this ME than it has been in previous ME's (like, in previous years I mean)

- The players' movements on the pitch look good, including trying tricks and subtle dribble moves, etc.

- Wing play seems very powerful this year. Particularly the performance of inside forwards and inverted wingers cutting inside and causing havoc.

- Goalkeepers appear to be listening to instructions now

- The "stop crosses" instruction seems to be working quite nicely

The Bad

- It feels like the only way to generate consistent scoring chances is via crossing (or set pieces). I just don't see much variety at all. Through balls are seemingly limited to just balls over the top. Where is the intricate passing leading to goal scoring chances? It's so rare, even playing with a possession style approach, and that is hugely disappointing.

- Pressing is....  Weird.   Hear me out.  It feels like pressing is, at times, both insanely powerful and completely ineffective. "What do you mean, that's not possible."  Well, it just depends on the context.

There are WAY too many instances of players being caught in possession with nobody near them. This typically happens to a DM or CD. They'll receive a pass in an area that is basically wide open (given their position you can understand that would happen) and all of a sudden, someone is closing them down like a bolt of lightning, and the ball ends up in the net.  This happens both FOR and AGAINST the user. This seems entirely unrealistic to me. At least, at the frequency it's currently happening at. The player is in acres of space just doddling on the ball. Are they blind? Unable to see someone charging at them from like 25+ yards away? This happens so often.   

There are also way too many instances of players not pressing at all. Or, said differently, teams that play very deep and cautious are able to just cycle possession back and forth between their defenders far too easily.

- I'm not sure that there is enough variety in play styles. Again this goes back to my first point in this section about generating chances. I don't see teams patiently passing in central midfield and trying to go narrow. It's actually really untenable because (again) the pressing is so wonky it makes playing narrow almost impossible.

- I'm not sure that the pressing trap setting is working properly. It feels much easier to just use opposition instructions to funnel play the way you want. The descriptions are kind of vague too. Why not just say: "set a pressing trap on the flanks" (meaning, tightly marking wide players and cutting off passing lanes to them) and then say: "set a pressing trap in the middle of the pitch" (meaning, tight mark central players and cut off passing lanes to them).

Is there any limit to how many players will come and ask for the same thing within a given period? I've now had 8 players ask for new contracts in a two month period. I'm pretty sure I read that accommodating requests will lead to more players asking, but does turning multiple players down have an impact on the next player asking for the same thing 3 days later? I gave new deals to the first couple, because I had a tiny bit of budget room and they were players I wanted to extend. But I haven't since because I flat out can't. There is no wage budget. I'm in the first season with Luton and we have something like the 3rd lowest wage budget in the league. But player after player is asking for a new deal. And its not like we are talking about minor increases. One player wanted to go from 3.5K per week to 35K per week. If the idea of having a positive outcome influence the next player, why isn't a negative outcome influencing the next? One player that got upset and had the squad about to revolt has inspired four more players to do the same thing. Our budget hasn't changed in the past 3 weeks, kids. 

It feels really unrealistic and its honestly ruining a fun save. 

13 hours ago, bababooey said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share some thoughts on the current state of the match engine. I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks, too. So please reply with your own thoughts if you could.

The Good

- I think the AI managers are doing a good job of adjusting things in match.

- Playing in a more "defensive" manner is much easier to accomplish in this ME than it has been in previous ME's (like, in previous years I mean)

- The players' movements on the pitch look good, including trying tricks and subtle dribble moves, etc.

- Wing play seems very powerful this year. Particularly the performance of inside forwards and inverted wingers cutting inside and causing havoc.

- Goalkeepers appear to be listening to instructions now

- The "stop crosses" instruction seems to be working quite nicely

The Bad

- It feels like the only way to generate consistent scoring chances is via crossing (or set pieces). I just don't see much variety at all. Through balls are seemingly limited to just balls over the top. Where is the intricate passing leading to goal scoring chances? It's so rare, even playing with a possession style approach, and that is hugely disappointing.

- Pressing is....  Weird.   Hear me out.  It feels like pressing is, at times, both insanely powerful and completely ineffective. "What do you mean, that's not possible."  Well, it just depends on the context.

There are WAY too many instances of players being caught in possession with nobody near them. This typically happens to a DM or CD. They'll receive a pass in an area that is basically wide open (given their position you can understand that would happen) and all of a sudden, someone is closing them down like a bolt of lightning, and the ball ends up in the net.  This happens both FOR and AGAINST the user. This seems entirely unrealistic to me. At least, at the frequency it's currently happening at. The player is in acres of space just doddling on the ball. Are they blind? Unable to see someone charging at them from like 25+ yards away? This happens so often.   

There are also way too many instances of players not pressing at all. Or, said differently, teams that play very deep and cautious are able to just cycle possession back and forth between their defenders far too easily.

- I'm not sure that there is enough variety in play styles. Again this goes back to my first point in this section about generating chances. I don't see teams patiently passing in central midfield and trying to go narrow. It's actually really untenable because (again) the pressing is so wonky it makes playing narrow almost impossible.

- I'm not sure that the pressing trap setting is working properly. It feels much easier to just use opposition instructions to funnel play the way you want. The descriptions are kind of vague too. Why not just say: "set a pressing trap on the flanks" (meaning, tightly marking wide players and cutting off passing lanes to them) and then say: "set a pressing trap in the middle of the pitch" (meaning, tight mark central players and cut off passing lanes to them).

Wing play seems very powerful this year. Particularly the performance of inside forwards and inverted wingers cutting inside and causing havoc.

??????????????

Are you playing a different game than me??

Currently, fm23's match engine is very monotonous in wing play, and inside forwards and inverted wingers do not dig inside at all. Just back pass, cross.

Just one tip for everyone that is obsessed with xG: prior xG the measurement for chances were ccc's (clear cut chances), in my opinion these still rule above xG. Also people who are struggling to score and get high xG values, a long shot from 20m that ends up at the goalkeeper or woodwork could be valued as 0.25xG. When you compare xG to clear cut chances, clear cut chances are always scarce. If I remember correctly, there's also a tool to see which shots got xG values. My advise is to reduce long shots through player instructions. Players still tend to ignore 'work the ball in the box' instruction.

28 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

image.png.952273597a84724672fc9c3678f2482d.png

Clear cut chances, where? 22 shots, 10 on target? Where are the other 12? These match stats don't say anything really. Looks like the typical game where the player plays a high-press game but cant break through an organised defence, hence why you got countered 3 times. Pretty sure most of these 22 shots were long shots.

2 hours ago, Sanel said:

Clear cut chances, where? 22 shots, 10 on target? Where are the other 12? These match stats don't say anything really. Looks like the typical game where the player plays a high-press game but cant break through an organised defence, hence why you got countered 3 times. Pretty sure most of these 22 shots were long shots.

In older versions Blocked shots were also shown in match stats

On 14/01/2023 at 18:27, Sanel said:

Just one tip for everyone that is obsessed with xG: prior xG the measurement for chances were ccc's (clear cut chances), in my opinion these still rule above xG. Also people who are struggling to score and get high xG values, a long shot from 20m that ends up at the goalkeeper or woodwork could be valued as 0.25xG. When you compare xG to clear cut chances, clear cut chances are always scarce. If I remember correctly, there's also a tool to see which shots got xG values. My advise is to reduce long shots through player instructions. Players still tend to ignore 'work the ball in the box' instruction.

I've said this before:

xG is just someone telling you "Damn bro that's crazy you had 100 shots with 50 on target, imagine on a good day you would be 20+ goals up, its ok try again lmao cya"

a.k.a the useless thing which makes Clear Cut Chances look like a game changer

I really have no success with Strikers that have the "Beats Offside Trap" quirk (in no FM i ever played).

They do not shot more goals but a whole bunch of them will be disallowed so they score less goals that count.

I thought with no offside trap to set in the tactics it would be worth to look again into it but no - a real good (for my league) and expensive Striker with that quirk is the same burden to my team as allways.

Yes he becomes the top scorer of the team but that is bcs he shots many goals in a few matches when his goals do not get dissalowed and overall it was a mess, i got almost relegated and almost lost my job.

The only workaround is to put him into a position where he can not run offside many times but then you do not need the quirk.

Edited by Etebaer

On 12/01/2023 at 20:37, LeoFM said:

I mean just look at this! Absolutely unbelievable how this is still in the game...

I think the same phenomenon can be sometimes seen when defenders don't react to long balls until the opposition striker has passed them. That is the time they start running as well but not before, it's not always the case, but it happens way too often and just looks stupid. What's also hilarious is if your player with dribbling 18 decides it's time to run headlong, in a straight line, directly into the next opposition player.

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Edited by Flohrinho

The whole feel and atmosphere around European ties is really special. Taken me a few months but I finally got to season two and an appearance in Europe.

Well done, SI.

SI get a lot of rubbish on these forums - way too harshly, I believe - but I think the effort put in to making European football feel special proves they really do care.

I never doubted they do. I think more people need to realise that.

Well done.

Applause GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

1 hour ago, Flohrinho said:

I think the same phenomenon can be sometimes seen when defenders don't react to long balls until the opposition striker has passed them, running onto the ball. That is the time they start running as well but not before, it's not always the case, but it happens way too often and just looks. What's also hilarious is if your player with dribbling 18 decides it's time to run headlong in a straight line directly into the next opposition player.

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dude its clearly your tactic 

Managing Lyon, it's april 2024 and we are second with a 13 points pillow to third place. Now, all of a sudden, reporters start talking about us avoiding relegation this season *yay* ..

Sure, mathematically, it's sound but it's still a piece of information which comes across as odd or robotic.. to say the least..

We note that FM doesn't seem to know when it's appropriate to talk about relegation and when it's not..

Surely, how likely a europa league or even UCL spot is by the end of a season seems more relevant and apt with only 9 match days left before the end of a season as second with a 13 points buffer to the third..

8 hours ago, SC00P0NE said:

Managing Lyon, it's april 2024 and we are second with a 13 points pillow to third place. Now, all of a sudden, reporters start talking about us avoiding relegation this season *yay* ..

Sure, mathematically, it's sound but it's still a piece of information which comes across as odd or robotic.. to say the least..

We note that FM doesn't seem to know when it's appropriate to talk about relegation and when it's not..

Surely, how likely a europa league or even UCL spot is by the end of a season seems more relevant and apt with only 9 match days left before the end of a season as second with a 13 points buffer to the third..

This complaint belongs to the same category as too much (unnecessary) information in my opinion. Throughout the years it added too much notifications and/or inbox messages. A fix would be to opt out of matchday messages. I'd rather see 1 or 2 times a season what the media and fans think about the club. Keep it simplistic.

How is PSG doing in 2024?

Edited by Sanel

I have seen a few times the offside situation measured on the wrong step like the pre assist and the final pass receiver stood many yards in the offside but the lines appeared for the pass giver not the pass receiver.

Also it is so coded that errors in judgement may happen afaik...

Edited by Etebaer

On 13/01/2023 at 23:30, bababooey said:

Absolutely. Pressing just doesn't work in any sort of a realistic way. The game overall just doesn't feel fluid, and you can obviously spot some triggers if you watch enough matches. Like players just wouldn't do anything, but as soon as X thing happens (or when the ball reaches the middle or final third), they completely change their behavior, from 0 to 100. The problem is, we can't control those triggers, or at which point we want players to change their behavior. It just happens suddenly after a certain invisible line is crossed. It's hard-coded, and we're at mercy of the devs and the way they see football and deem it should work in-game.

Your players often can't really play a high press, as the CBs (and/or fullbacks) will be left with tons of space to recycle the ball, without being closed down (even when they're closed down, they can make pin-point passes under pressure). It was an issue in previous versions as well, where players just don't close down as much, until the ball comes to the middle third, when all hell breaks loose, and they suddenly start closing down the player with the ball.

So many players are left open, with tons of space, it's almost like marking is non-existent. 

It goes without saying that allowing us that much freedom will inevitably lead to game-breaking, exploit tactics (though you could argue they already exist).

The other option isn't that much better either, as it would require an even more complicated and complex code, leading to an even more realistic simulation of football, and I doubt that's happening any time soon. 

Since a realistic representation of football/tactical creator isn't on the table, what they should focus on is making the game feel more like....a game. That means gamifying certain areas, so they don't feel like a chore and a 2nd job.

Anyways, it's been a while since I posted feedback in this thread, mostly because I just stopped playing the game. I just got tired of seeing the same old stuff, the same old mistakes and bugs, the same old inability to create and replicate certain real-life tactics, which includes player movement and positioning, etc. 

The game strives to be as realistic as possible, but it's so far off from being that. Maybe my expectations are high, but after playing this game for 6-7 years, I haven't seen that much progress in that area (not saying there wasn't any, as that would be a lie).

Edited by (sic)

Going to bring up player development again ... In the 2027/28 season and still there is no player on the top 50 player (GOAL50) list that wasn't a real player at the start of the game.  No newgens have yet made the breakthrough (including for my team as it seems micromanaging youth development is the only way to get any development at all).

Will be interested to see when someone actually manages to break through.

Edited by rp1966

1 minute ago, rp1966 said:

Going to bring up player development again ... In the 2027/28 season and still there is no player on the top 50 player (GOAL50) list that wasn't a real player at the start of the game.  No newgens have yet made the breakthrough (including for my team as it seems micromanaging youth development is the only way to get any development at all).

I will point out the actual development is fine, but the reputation gain is not. There has been several topics on this and comparing CA/PA shows that development is fine. However, looking at reputation there is an issue, and that in turn impact for example international selections as well as awards.

On 13/01/2023 at 10:26, andu1 said:

Well in PL the team that hit the woodwork the most is Liverpool, 12 times so far...

I hit it 12 times in 4-5 games in-game...

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/hit_woodwork?se=489

Looking at the stats on that link, Liverpool have had 274 shots and hit the woodwork 12 times which is 4.01% of their shots. Newcastle have the highest % hitting the woodwork with 12 of their 299 shots with a 4.38%.

If I add all the teams shots up there have been 4673 shots of which 123 have hit the woodwork which gives an overall 2.63% of shots hitting the woodwork.

In comparison, in my save after 35 league games we have had 485 shots or which we have hit the woodwork 50 times which is 10.31% of our shots, seems to be very high. This isn't a one off either as every season when I check its usually around 9% or 10%. It was similar on FM22 too.

On 26/12/2022 at 01:53, alian62 said:

There isn't any competition at all . This is why the game suffers 

In my opinion, competition does little to spur on upgrades or development. I mean, look at the AAA gaming market at the moment - there's plenty of competition between different genres, like FPS, RTS, etc, but 99% of the time, they just all decide to use the same mechanics with the same visuals, because so much money is spent on game development nowadays, they can't afford to take a risk on something new because it's unlikely to bring in new players. Those games that do push the envelope, they don't make nearly as much money and are often ignored by the majority, and so can only lose them money. As businesses in a capitalist system, that is no bueno.

This is without the huge scouting network that a game trying to take on SI would have to establish to try to replicate the level of complexity and accuracy SI put effort into. 

I have a complain against the transfers in my save. Playing as Rennes, in my 3rd season now. I finished 2nd and 3rd and are 2md atm after half a season. In all of my time in the club, there were barely any offers for my players and if they are, they are ridicilously low. For example, I have a central defender, Arthur Theate. We all know him, the game describes him as a world class defender. His value is 31-48mil. The biggest offer I got from Arsenal was 22mil in casg plus 2.2 mil over 2 years. 24mil for this guy? It's laughable really. I should at least be able to get the price he is valued for if not more. All players I managed to sell were sold for 3x less their value. I offer a player worth 5-8mil by the game out and I got one offer. 1.1mil!!??

But at this point Theate is the one that makes me angry because he is constantly unhappy because I dont want to sell him and I refuse to sell this guy for 1/3 of what he is really worth. This lowballing offers of 20mil are a joke.

5 hours ago, luka_zg said:

I have a complain against the transfers in my save. Playing as Rennes, in my 3rd season now. I finished 2nd and 3rd and are 2md atm after half a season. In all of my time in the club, there were barely any offers for my players and if they are, they are ridicilously low. For example, I have a central defender, Arthur Theate. We all know him, the game describes him as a world class defender. His value is 31-48mil. The biggest offer I got from Arsenal was 22mil in casg plus 2.2 mil over 2 years. 24mil for this guy? It's laughable really. I should at least be able to get the price he is valued for if not more. All players I managed to sell were sold for 3x less their value. I offer a player worth 5-8mil by the game out and I got one offer. 1.1mil!!??

But at this point Theate is the one that makes me angry because he is constantly unhappy because I dont want to sell him and I refuse to sell this guy for 1/3 of what he is really worth. This lowballing offers of 20mil are a joke.

Talk to him, tell him you'll sell him for the right price and then put a decent price tag on his head. :)

8 hours ago, rp1966 said:

I agree, I just checked in 2031 for the top 30 CM's in the world and they are all existing players, all over 30. There is a big, big gap until all existing players retire 

10 hours ago, JordanMilly said:

In my opinion, competition does little to spur on upgrades or development. I mean, look at the AAA gaming market at the moment - there's plenty of competition between different genres, like FPS, RTS, etc, but 99% of the time, they just all decide to use the same mechanics with the same visuals, because so much money is spent on game development nowadays, they can't afford to take a risk on something new because it's unlikely to bring in new players. Those games that do push the envelope, they don't make nearly as much money and are often ignored by the majority, and so can only lose them money. As businesses in a capitalist system, that is no bueno.

This is without the huge scouting network that a game trying to take on SI would have to establish to try to replicate the level of complexity and accuracy SI put effort into. 

Battlefield, Call of Duty, Overwatch and Counterstrike are all multiplayer AAA shooters, but they're wildly different.   Mass Effect changed AAA RPG development forever by proving that Bioware-style RPGs were possible with a voiced protagonist.  The influence of Far Cry and Assassin's Creed is all over the industry, not always for the better.  And you can see how much Assassin's Creed has had to change as the open-world, icon-based style has taken over the ARPG genre.  All of the development in the survival/crafting genre leads to Valheim.  What Hearthstone did in 2015 lead to more successful implementations in Legends of Runeterra and Magic Arena.  Skyrim's open world leads to Witcher 3's leads to Red Dead Redemption 2's leads to Elden Ring's. 

Yes, games within genres share features.  They're adopting the most successful ones from across the genre.  If there are fewer developers working with the genre, there's less chance of successful experiments.

1 hour ago, Choi seung won said:

2. Why do inside forwards and inverted wingers exist?

In the match engine right now, inside forwards and inverted wingers are just midfielders. dribble? A bold shot? can't see it at all. Mbappe, Messi, and Salah all just hit the side and fold and force a back pass, or a shot or cross with their foot, not their main foot.

I would suggest you re-think your tactical set-up. My inside forward scores for fun.

47 minutes ago, Skora11 said:

I would suggest you re-think your tactical set-up. My inside forward scores for fun.

I'm not talking about tactics. It's a match engine problem.

Currently, the movements of inside forwards and inverted wingers are not solved by tactics.

Take a look at the stats of the big club wingers in the game you are playing right now.

Is there any winger scoring 10 or more goals???

Most of them will be under 10 goals.

As much as that, there is a big problem with the movement of wingers in the current match engine.

21 minutes ago, Choi seung won said:

I'm not talking about tactics. It's a match engine problem.

Currently, the movements of inside forwards and inverted wingers are not solved by tactics.

Take a look at the stats of the big club wingers in the game you are playing right now.

Is there any winger scoring 10 or more goals???

Most of them will be under 10 goals.

As much as that, there is a big problem with the movement of wingers in the current match engine.

This is halfway through the season (Dec 19) - I play a 4-2-3-1.  Strikers have got the bulk of the goals, but AML (IFa) has 14 goal contributions; AMR (IWs) has 12 - with 8 goals, so will get double figures by the end of the season. Previous season the IFa got 12 goals and 16 assists.

I get people not liking the way AML/AMR don't make incisive attacking moves or dribble the way they did on FM21, but FM23 doesn't have the same issues as FM22 had and AML/AMR players do contribute effectively on both goals and assists even if they are a bit cowardly and turn the ball back to a full-back or midfielder rather too often.

image.thumb.png.49db035c7db1beccf27399d4859f9007.png

Edited by rp1966

19 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

This is halfway through the season (Dec 19) - I play a 4-2-3-1.  Strikers have got the bulk of the goals, but AML (IFa) has 14 goal contributions; AMR (IWs) has 12 - with 8 goals, so will get double figures by the end of the season. Previous season the IFa got 12 goals and 16 assists.

I get people not liking the way AML/AMR don't make incisive attacking moves or dribble the way they did on FM21, but FM23 doesn't have the same issues as FM22 had and AML/AMR players do contribute effectively on both goals and assists even if they are a bit cowardly and turn the ball back to a full-back or midfielder rather too often.

The IF and IW are useless and not making enough cutting insides and dribbles

Just pass back all the time 

39 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

if they are a bit cowardly and turn the ball back to a full-back or midfielder rather too often.

That's the problem with the match engine right now... And the way the wingers help or score goals is also a problem. There are many goals that are hard to see in real soccer, such as ridiculous volleys or headers, unreasonable goals by stealing the ball due to a ridiculous mistake by a defender, and so on.

And look at the goals of the wingers of the ai big clubs, not the team you are coaching.

1 hour ago, blejdek said:

Okay, what the heck is this ? Playing important match again Ncastle in Carabao cup and most of my first timers are away on internationals, is this some kind of bug or what is going on ?????

wtf.png

I had this 2nd season too. Seems to only affect this particular international break though, as haven’t had it since.

On 11/01/2023 at 08:05, XanderMD53 said:

So bored of this.

Woodwork 3x. Literally no point having a GK. 

image.thumb.png.5ed9eacc3112b08b5eb42f503de82738.png

Had another really enjoyable game.

Disallowed goal.

Missed penalty.

Hit woodwork three times.

Oh, and of course they scored their first shot on target.

(Patrice Evra voice) I LOVE THIS GAME

image.png.adc19ea1aae1f657d9dcd73b96056a2f.png

16 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

I had this 2nd season too. Seems to only affect this particular international break though, as haven’t had it since.

I am in my 3rd season, you said you had it in second season, not sure if its the same or ? Is it bug or ? Had you have it resolved or you didnt report it ?