*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, southside said:

Of course, but ive seen the question thats enough to break the immersion. Theres countless slack parts of the game like this. Nowhere near good enough this year

Agree with this 100%, I'm 6 seasons in and I've noticed so many "slack" things, specially with press/media interactions, feels like a lot of stale content knocking around - QA/QC needs tightening up for FM24.

On 08/01/2023 at 15:00, ScottishFM said:

Anyone else noticing an incredible high amount of yellow cards? 4 seasons in to a Plymouth save and at least twice a season we're being fined for not controlling our players. We're probably averaging 3-4 yellows per game, my right back had 7 yellow cards after only 12 games in to the league campaign.

I am playing a gegenpress system but I don't have "get stuck in" on or fully maxed high press, so I don't understand why we're getting so many yellows. Never seemed to have this issue in previous editions. Spoke to a few friends who have noticed the same with their saves too.

Wondering if it is just a coincidence or whether others are finding this? I personally find it way over the top though.

Yes, check out the bugs forum there's a thread there. Sadly because numbers across the board seem fine what is happening in our matches seems to be being brushed under the carpet.

Is it a known bug that the loan manager keeps ignoring my development list settings? I clearly instructed the player only to be loaned out if the agreed playing time is a "regular starter", but my loan manager keeps accepting loans with the status "fringe player". Really annoying.

Only after I manually offer the player out for loan with "regular starter" demand the loan manager seems to accept the right loans and reject those who offer less playing time.

Edited by Flohrinho

Daft question, but when SI sign club partnerships with Watford, Man City etc, do they not get the stadium license too to accurately build them in the 3D match engine, like other sports club partnerships?

This is really more feedback about the bug reporting system - specifically uploading.

Appreciate its really important when reporting bugs that we upload .pkms , savefiles etc.

But when I'm currently trying to upload a savefile, its saying "an hour" and the bar is barely moving (its only 127 Mb) - has to be accepted this will discourage people. I have other things to do with my bandwidth tonight...

Btw before anyone asks, my connection is absolutely fine :)

2 hours ago, Flohrinho said:

Is it a known bug that the loan manager keeps ignoring my development list settings? I clearly instructed the player only to be loaned out if the agreed playing time is a "regular starter", but my loan manager keeps accepting loans with the status "fringe player". Really annoying.

Only after I manually offer the player out for loan with "regular starter" demand the loan manager seems to accept the right loans and reject those who offer less playing time.

It could be a conflict within the settings causing an issue.

If you go to 'Responsibilities' then 'Offer to Clubs', what do you have selected there as the criteria for outgoing loans?  If the Loan Manager is in charge of finding development loans, he may be trying to follow the 'rules' set there despite the Dev Center settings.  I could have sworn at one point if you set the requirements in responsibilities they would autopopulate in the development list, but I could be (and probably am) wrong.  I'd submit a bug report either way.  

7 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

You have the option to not comment.

At this point just keep clicking the second from the left option and you'll be fine, any other question answer no comment.

IF SI really wanted to mess with the vast majority of FM players they would randomize where the answers showed up....

15 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

At this point just keep clicking the second from the left option and you'll be fine, any other question answer no comment.

IF SI really wanted to mess with the vast majority of FM players they would randomize where the answers showed up....

I would be happy if SI decide to randomize the answers (left, right, center, upper right etc). :cool:

1 hour ago, Jellico73 said:

It could be a conflict within the settings causing an issue.

If you go to 'Responsibilities' then 'Offer to Clubs', what do you have selected there as the criteria for outgoing loans?  If the Loan Manager is in charge of finding development loans, he may be trying to follow the 'rules' set there despite the Dev Center settings.  I could have sworn at one point if you set the requirements in responsibilities they would autopopulate in the development list, but I could be (and probably am) wrong.  I'd submit a bug report either way.  

I usually only set up players for the development list, putting all my settings in. These settings get completely ignored. Only if I then get into manually offering him to clubs the settings get followed, that surely isn't how it should be, right? I mean, otherwise, what is the development list for if those settings get ignored?

18 minutes ago, Flohrinho said:

I usually only set up players for the development list, putting all my settings in. These settings get completely ignored. Only if I then get into manually offering him to clubs the settings get followed, that surely isn't how it should be, right? I mean, otherwise, what is the development list for if those settings get ignored?

Right, I am saying it's possible there's a conflict between what you are putting in and what the settings in the Responsibilities are.  Either way I'd still send something in, its definitely worth looking at closer.

Step 1) Find 3 strikers over 189 cm

Step 2) Place them at the top of your formation

Step 3) Win games

The match engine doesn't feel very dynamic and the game gets incredibly stale when you realize it cannot cope with this at any level. Incredibly disappointing stuff.

4 hours ago, Gilberto Silva said:

Why are squad numbers always such a mess in the second season? 

Harry Kane switches to number 6, Marcus Rashford to number 12, Mo Salah to number 6. Why?

Because the team either had someone with their number as preffered or bought someone with it.

so the next season the ai goes and gives the #10 to the player who has it as preferred and if 2 or more have it, the number goes by alphabetical order. Then f.i Kane gets the next free number

i.e for the WC if aguero and messi were in argentina squad, aguero got nr 10.

1 hour ago, kepz said:

Step 1) Find 3 strikers over 189 cm

Step 2) Place them at the top of your formation

Step 3) Win games

The match engine doesn't feel very dynamic and the game gets incredibly stale when you realize it cannot cope with this at any level. Incredibly disappointing stuff.

Uh … don’t do it then?

52 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

Uh … don’t do it then?

Do you play games looking to win them or lose them? Pretty silly reply that doesn't address anything I said at all. 

There should be more than 1 viable path to a great tactic from a football simulator. That shouldn't be a controversial opinion. 

6 minutes ago, kepz said:

There should be more than 1 viable path to a great tactic from a football simulator. That shouldn't be a controversial opinion. 

There are lot more viable paths.  Plenty of videos from countless creators out there showing as much.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb kepz:

Step 1) Find 3 strikers over 189 cm    Step 2) Place them at the top of your formation    Step 3) Win games

The more chaotic nature of the matches makes it that many ball challenges have become heading challenges and tall players should have a natural advantage bcs you can impair skill and timing and positioning - but you can not impair tallness, you can only foul it or set a taller player aginst it.

And in reality the asian teams i.e. often get beaten when another taller team uses its tallness agsint them (ofc they can be germany and play stupid football by stupid players lead by a stupid coach hired by the stupid DFB football association).

Germany is so screwed!

Edited by Etebaer

6 hours ago, kepz said:

Do you play games looking to win them or lose them? Pretty silly reply that doesn't address anything I said at all. 

Was simply asking a question of your willpower. It’s a game. You will find exploits anywhere. There is absolutely more than one path to “winning”. If you’re finding the ME stale perhaps you could consider changing your tactic.

Does this address your comment a little clearer?

Jeez... this thread is really a rather one big ****** negative circlejerk.

From everything that's wrong with the game, there's a lot of people in these last pages nitpicking things like they are big deal when they are not, crying for "breaking immersion" and saying they are giving up on the game because of the most mundane crap.

Most of you might chalk it up to low standards, but the press conferences were always like that. Been playing the franchise for a minute and I don't remember not being like this ever. Like any other heavy player I just don't care about the most boring part of the game (as it is in real life with poorer questions btw) and tbh I never saw a player care too about what my ass man said. It's not important at all. 

You guys should be talking about all the features that completely missed the mark like the the mess it's the planning one or the scouting center this year. Looking just at the scouts, way more important how the scout ratings are too confusing by the standards being too low - it feels like every crap player can get a 18 evaluation and everyone with and their mothers get 15, the minimum available to setting up in the preferences -, also unless you cut the player completely from the scouting center archiving it will make the guy pop up again and again every day until you just press X (unlike past iterations), scouts keep suggesting inactive focus' players, it's a **** show this year. 

It's like you are eating dog poop with rice and all you guys are talking about is how the rice is kinda al dente. You have bugs? Report them, but don't cry this river of overblowing things.

Press conferences are a real pain with unrealistic questions by the press. 

15 Yr old youth player signs 1st pro contract and I get asked will he be featuring in the 1st any time soon wtf?

Sign a midfielder and get asked what position do I feel is his best, erm midfield maybe.

Add in supporters who think my 2 midfield signings mean we are overloaded with midfielders,  we play 433 so having 6 midfielders in the squad is fairly common, or maybe I'll just go with 4 and hope we don't get injuries and suspensions. 

17 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

I would be happy if SI decide to randomize the answers (left, right, center, upper right etc). :cool:

What they should do is simple:

1. Make the answers actually match the whole range of the question asked

2. Have a main top row of the generic answers, three will do, and no comment

3. Put a second row along the bottom as now for more detailed answers

More options, separated.

2 hours ago, Razor940 said:

Jeez... this thread is really a rather one big ****** negative circlejerk.

From everything that's wrong with the game, there's a lot of people in these last pages nitpicking things like they are big deal when they are not, crying for "breaking immersion" and saying they are giving up on the game because of the most mundane crap.

Most of you might chalk it up to low standards, but the press conferences were always like that. Been playing the franchise for a minute and I don't remember not being like this ever. Like any other heavy player I just don't care about the most boring part of the game (as it is in real life with poorer questions btw) and tbh I never saw a player care too about what my ass man said. It's not important at all. 

You guys should be talking about all the features that completely missed the mark like the the mess it's the planning one or the scouting center this year. Looking just at the scouts, way more important how the scout ratings are too confusing by the standards being too low - it feels like every crap player can get a 18 evaluation and everyone with and their mothers get 15, the minimum available to setting up in the preferences -, also unless you cut the player completely from the scouting center archiving it will make the guy pop up again and again every day until you just press X (unlike past iterations), scouts keep suggesting inactive focus' players, it's a **** show this year. 

It's like you are eating dog poop with rice and all you guys are talking about is how the rice is kinda al dente. You have bugs? Report them, but don't cry this river of overblowing things.

So moaning about negativity....then moans about scouting while dismissing other people's moaning.

You're a genius.

3 minutes ago, jazbo said:

What they should do is simple:

1. Make the answers actually match the whole range of the question asked

2. Have a main top row of the generic answers, three will do, and no comment

3. Put a second row along the bottom as now for more detailed answers

More options, separated.

What I was meant actually, is what we have now: Left answers have positive effect, middle answer is type of "no comment" (but with Point a Finger gesture, you can get green smiles in room) and right side is the negative ones. 

Just when you think something you and others have marked as unrealistic the last 3 years has been sorted. After 2 seasons with dunfermline and travelling to nearby grounds the day of the game you get promoted to the premier league and yep first league game away to celtic and were travelling on the friday, playing the saturday and staying the saturday night and home on sunday:seagull::seagull:. Its less than an hours journey for gods sake

1 hour ago, southside said:

Just when you think something you and others have marked as unrealistic the last 3 years has been sorted. After 2 seasons with dunfermline and travelling to nearby grounds the day of the game you get promoted to the premier league and yep first league game away to celtic and were travelling on the friday, playing the saturday and staying the saturday night and home on sunday:seagull::seagull:. Its less than an hours journey for gods sake

For games close to home, travelling the day before a game and staying overnight is common with top clubs, but not common after games

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

For games close to home, travelling the day before a game and staying overnight is common with top clubs, but not common after games

I know that, my own club celtic stay in the same hotel before home games even but its non existent after games. And the vast majority of other clubs certainly dont do either!

13 hours ago, Tyburn said:

Was simply asking a question of your willpower. It’s a game. You will find exploits anywhere. There is absolutely more than one path to “winning”. If you’re finding the ME stale perhaps you could consider changing your tactic.

Does this address your comment a little clearer?

Yes, actually, it does. And you raise a good point. I am more or less disappointed that the "exploit" is so easy to find. I understand that you can't account for everything. I wouldn't be so sad about it if I didn't love the game. What I find stale is that I don't see my wide forward players getting more goals--but I will dive into some other tactics videos and see what I can do. 

And, as someone else mentioned earlier, halfway through our season we've been "found out" by a few teams. So, I suppose, even when you find something exploitative, the AI will try its best to nullify or stop it. Maybe my mileage will vary once I've gotten out of the lower leagues and have to play tougher competition. 

1 hour ago, kepz said:

Yes, actually, it does. And you raise a good point. I am more or less disappointed that the "exploit" is so easy to find. I understand that you can't account for everything. I wouldn't be so sad about it if I didn't love the game. What I find stale is that I don't see my wide forward players getting more goals--but I will dive into some other tactics videos and see what I can do. 

And, as someone else mentioned earlier, halfway through our season we've been "found out" by a few teams. So, I suppose, even when you find something exploitative, the AI will try its best to nullify or stop it. Maybe my mileage will vary once I've gotten out of the lower leagues and have to play tougher competition. 

I feel like it's not a great advertisement if "play three tall strikers" falls into the territory of exploitative.  That's the kind of thing that you could pretty easily arrive at by accident; it's not like you're having to set up intricate, highly unrealistic instructions to do it.

On 06/01/2023 at 20:11, XanderMD53 said:

Yup, that probably is the case in some games and I've no problems with that as it is reflective of real life and is one of the risks of how I chose to play.

These were just 4-5 screenshots I have had to hand from the last 7-8 games I've played. I'm 10 seasons in and feel like this happens an awful lot, even with lower XG chances.

Loaded up to play this evening. 

First game....

You guessed it...

I want to stress again I don't mind this happening at points through the season. And I'm sure I can keep tweaking my tactic. But it just happens so regularly. 

And maybe just a few times enjoy the result going the other way!

image.thumb.png.f286d3df39ead329dbd9f2db7ef1044a.png

image.thumb.png.21f7bc393ebcb4de12cdfbf3472b51a2.png

Getting really annoying now.

image.png.62e24cf07060ed88f5c8114f8437054b.png

13 hours ago, stevemc said:

John Stones  contract expires in 6 months - but in his contract I have the option to extend for 2 years - however, I can't seem to activate it - is this a bug, or me being thick? :D 

image.thumb.png.1480db4a45f40bc079cd3c3dca0ee547.png

image.thumb.png.04e3360827f02df6d156492de22c9fc8.png

As it's 2028 in your save I assume he's 33? If you go into club vision and look at your boards visions, do they have a restriction of maximum one year contracts for players over the age of 32? I have this restriction in my current save. If that's the case, that will be why you can't activate the extension, as your board won't allow 2 year deals for someone his age.

1 hour ago, Reflection86 said:

As it's 2028 in your save I assume he's 33? If you go into club vision and look at your boards visions, do they have a restriction of maximum one year contracts for players over the age of 32? I have this restriction in my current save. If that's the case, that will be why you can't activate the extension, as your board won't allow 2 year deals for someone his age.

Yeah that's the case, that makes sense then - had the same issue with Ward-Prowse last season.

I frequently get asked in the press conferences about the referee performance and there being some controversial decisions in the match but during the match I've not been alerted by the game in any way about anything potentially controversial having happened so have no idea what specifically I'm being asked to comment on. In some cases it'll probably be an accumulation of bad decisions or lots of cards or something like that. But if there's a specific incident, the game could have a link to go view in the match engine so I can escape "Arsene Wenger mode" in my responses once in a while!

14 hours ago, XanderMD53 said:

So bored of this.

Woodwork 3x. Literally no point having a GK. 

image.thumb.png.5ed9eacc3112b08b5eb42f503de82738.png

In a way, I'm glad it's not just me who is constantly coming up against this for my own sanity. In to my 5th season with Plymouth where I'm in the Premier League after finishing 9th first season and the amount of results I've had like this or worse over the seasons is brutal. Even in prior saves before this one I've came up against it.

Finally had enough and uninstalled FM23, going back to FM22. I mentioned about potentially doing this in a prior post but didn't think I actually would as I've never did it - but I've simply had enough. This is the most unrealistic, over the top, tedious and infuriating ME in FM history for me where it actually stops you having fun, even when you're winning and having successful saves. 

It genuinely feels like the ME just threw drama in for the sake of being dramatic. 

100% will be holding off on the pre-order for FM24 until I see enough feedback to suggest their is enough value in purchasing the game.

13 hours ago, LeoFM said:

For me the most annoying thing in the match engine currently is players unaware of the ball when running into space.  Doesn't happen nearly as often in IRL as in FM.

Holy .... That second one is hilarious :D

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

I think there are too many woodworks per game. It's like there is a magnet that attracts the ball to hit the bar....

Anyone having this issue? I doubt im the only one

Nope get the odd one now and then .

Some feedback from a newcomer here.

I usually play PDX strategy games and, as a F1 fan, Motorsport Manager (unfortunately the recent F1 Manager is a disaster). FM23 is my first football manager game, and I initially found it really fun… until I became better at it after around 300 hours.

I think SI made a great game overall. Lots of interesting aspects to manage and very engaging. Obviously after so many years of development the game is quite comprehensive. I guess it was also lots of work to bring the ME to the current level. 

However I think there is a big problem with FM23 (no idea how it is in previous versions). The player can do impossible IRL things, win seasons with weaker teams, quickly promote, in short, beat AI, which is great and what we want starting the game, though at a reasonable pace as we also want some challenge. But somehow SI made things that lead to player being superior to AI mostly hidden, while frustrating things exposed.

AI is apparently worse with tactics, transfers, development, rotations, match handling etc, which is probably the main reason the player wins. This all results in player’s team domination on the field, much better match stats (not so much with score), high places.

However, to rebalance outcomes, I think the ME has certain modifiers, which makes sense. Otherwise matches with the score like 12:1 or winning the season with winning almost all matches would be often seen. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that rebalancing is just against human player. It makes it feel as if it is against human just because the player usually dominates. I still believe the ME treats either team equally. And I think SI had to exaggerate with rebalancing, because AI simply cannot get even close to how the player can optimize team management and handle matches. Modifiers/rebalancing probably also help when two AI teams of very different strength play against each other. This results in rather frustrating experience, when you are still doing well in the season overall, but too often watch illogical matches, when AI has 50-100 % score ratio (to shots on target) several matches in a row, goal on first shot way too often etc. And the better you manage the team, the more frustrating the matches are. SI usually explains it with AI becoming more defensive as it recognizes the strength of your team, but this is probably just a part of the truth, as this would not explain AI becoming much more successful (in comparison to chances) in attack too. This is just my impression, though I surely cannot know how the ME works.

A few other things that hopefully will be fixed:

• Woodworks. I guess no need to explain the issue here.
  • Shots over gates. Feels like SI could not visualize missing gates on sides more often or slightly above the gates or make goalkeepers to cope with low shots. So we have to watch lots of shots way above the gates.
  • Often very passive defenders.
  • Exaggerated boosts to teams via shouts/morale or mentality changes.
  • Newgens growth and their playing time in AI teams.
Edited by Golob

1 hour ago, Golob said:

Some feedback from a newcomer here.

I usually play PDX strategy games and, as a F1 fan, Motorsport Manager (unfortunately the recent F1 Manager is a disaster). FM23 is my first football manager game, and I initially found it really fun… until I became better at it after around 300 hours.

I think SI made a great game overall. Lots of interesting aspects to manage and very engaging. Obviously after so many years of development the game is quite comprehensive. I guess it was also lots of work to bring the ME to the current level. 

However I think there is a big problem with FM23 (no idea how it is in previous versions). The player can do impossible IRL things, win seasons with weaker teams, quickly promote, in short, beat AI, which is great and what we want starting the game, though at a reasonable pace as we also want some challenge. But somehow SI made things that lead to player being superior to AI mostly hidden, while frustrating things exposed.

AI is apparently worse with tactics, transfers, development, rotations, match handling etc, which is probably the main reason the player wins. This all results in player’s team domination on the field, much better match stats (not so much with score), high places.

However, to rebalance outcomes, I think the ME has certain modifiers, which makes sense. Otherwise matches with the score like 12:1 or winning the season with winning almost all matches would be often seen. Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that rebalancing is just against human player. It makes it feel as if it is against human just because the player usually dominates. I still believe the ME treats either team equally. And I think SI had to exaggerate with rebalancing, because AI simply cannot get even close to how the player can optimize team management and handle matches. Modifiers/rebalancing probably also help when two AI teams of very different strength play against each other. This results in rather frustrating experience, when you are still doing well in the season overall, but too often watch illogical matches, when AI has 50-100 % score ratio (to shots on target) several matches in a row, goal on first shot way too often etc. And the better you manage the team, the more frustrating the matches are. SI usually explains it with AI becoming more defensive as it recognizes the strength of your team, but this is probably just a part of the truth, as this would not explain AI becoming much more successful (in comparison to chances) in attack too. This is just my impression, though I surely cannot know how the ME works.

A few other things that hopefully will be fixed:

• Woodworks. I guess no need to explain the issue here.
  • Shots over gates. Feels like SI could not visualize missing gates on sides more often or slightly above the gates or make goalkeepers to cope with low shots. So we have to watch lots of shots way above the gates.
  • Often very passive defenders.
  • Exaggerated boosts to teams via shouts/morale or mentality changes.
  • Newgens growth and their playing time in AI teams.

Absolutely spot on. My Spurs team is doing well (2nd in league after 19 games, 2 defeats). The two defeats have been ridiculous results. Both to my title rivals. V Chelsea we were 4-0 down at half time. We had zero shots they had 25. V Man City  we lost 7-0. They had 40 shots to our 3. Both direct rivals. Both completely outplayed us to a ridiculous degree.

And it’s these lack of logic results that really irk. If I could see why ridiculous results happen I wouldn’t complain. But there is definitely a rebalancing or an unfair advantage with the AI as, by definition it knows and understands every metric, and the human player doesn’t. So the game is either a little bit fake or the human player needs a lot more info. Either way change is required.

Edited by SimonHoddle

Probably my main reason i dont use the squad planner

-checks on tab "next season"
-clicks on a player to inspect him
-press back arrow to go back to the planner
-end up in "current season"
- be frustrated with an userunfriendly feature

Edited by eXistenZ

I've never been a fan of these pop up screens during the game, I think they're hideous to look at, not designed well or considered, small font, too much space/gappy, nothing lines up - they look worse then there are multiple games going on:

image.thumb.png.a4082829d0f6eaba2fd031e7e7ddeb4f.png

But you have the EFL branding, so why does that pop-up not look more like this and more in keeping with the branding?

image.png.7d1fb9aa63d45857fbc7697397f13c28.png

For me, those are the sorts of details that will help differentiate between different types of match days and tournaments. 

Edited by stevemc