*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

24 minutes ago, Emozil said:

Every time I try the scouting system I'm always getting 0 recommendations and 0 near misses. Any advice? 

I scout all positions with 1.5 star current ability, 3.5 star potential ability and a transfer value max about 5x what I have. I'm in England, so I have one scout focused on league 2 and Vanarama, one on League 1 and championship, and one with England as a whole. I also have one scout doing nations of Ireland and Scotland. I had zero recommendations for a couple months and then one day it spit out 90+ names at me. Since then I upped the minimums. I did early on switch from "Ongoing" to "Standard". I have no idea if that played a role or not.

I think the difference is in previous games they'd put in your inbox partially scouted players. Now they don't report until a full recommendation.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point in this?  I signed him for 3.1m, he's had a great season, his value is between 1.5-4.6m and no matter how many times I reject the offer they come back with the same kind of offer over and over and over.  Don't get me started on the last day of the transfer window with this type of thing either.

Such a repetitive bogus feature, I don't know if is deliberate to unsettle the player or what but even when they are unsettled or not they keep coming in with crap offers when I keep refusing.  You wouldn't get a club IRL come in with the exact same bid 6-7 times in the same day.  Sorry about the rant but this gets my goat.

image.thumb.png.4c10fd5d99c96abe0d138551a46b9dee.png

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, CSF90 said:

Any consideration of a hotfix to revert whatever change this workaround reverses? General consensus from this thread alone, although granted not representative of all users across the world, seems to be that this change makes performance worse for most people.

As with every update we release any issues raised afterwards will be logged and assigned a priority. In terms of future updates, as always when we have some news we'll announce it here on these forums. 

We don't feel the issue has made it worse for 'most people' but do appreciate that some players with certain setups will find using that workaround will improve things. 

29 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

As with every update we release any issues raised afterwards will be logged and assigned a priority. In terms of future updates, as always when we have some news we'll announce it here on these forums. 

We don't feel the issue has made it worse for 'most people' but do appreciate that some players with certain setups will find using that workaround will improve things. 

Yeah well I want to get back the game i paid for . I used this fix and its not the best.  Seems the game I was enjoying has turned into a farce . 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, prot651 said:

Yeah well I want to get back the game i paid for . I used this fix and its not the best.  Seems the game I was enjoying has turned into a farce . 

If you have a specific issue please raise your own issue via the Bug Tracker explaining what it is. The changes we made for performance improvements can be reversed by using the disable flip discard as listed here - https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/11164849702417

That will revert that specific aspect of the game back to what it was pre-update. 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

This workaround doesn’t work for me. For information, I have found the advertising boards, when in video blinky blink mode, makes my 2d ME stutter and lag. I have an Nvidia card, which I know has been troublesome.

The stutter was there in beta, 23.1 and now 23.2. I have tried the command prompt, all sorts of settings on my graphics card, but what sorts it out, is, ahem, blanking out the ad boards.

Hope this is useful. SI.

10 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Is a known issue being investigated. 

Ahh brilliant thanks, I found an odd workaround by dragging the corner taker into the centre of the pitch then that allowed me to select where I wanted to cross the ball in the right-hand panel.

Finances are a disaster in Italy serie C... Basically almost all teams have insecure finances with no possiblity of obtaining an income as the TV revenue is abysmal. If IRL finances were as bad as FM suggests then 75% of the teams would have been bankrupt by now.

9 hours ago, DarJ said:

do you expect them to have the perfect touch every time? 

No, but you'd also expect mistakes to be tracked as mistakes.  It is very frustrating to see players making mistakes that cost the team goals, but not have that reflected in the stats, which has a knock-on effect on other systems.  If actual mistakes aren't tracked correctly, then player ratings will be artificially high.  That leads to contract requests 'in light of my client's impressive form' after actually bad games.  It means you can't use the warn/fine system.  It means the player will be less likely to accept correction via interaction ('cut out the mistakes or I'm going to have to drop you').  If I were designing a system to make players of my game tilt, that's something I'd do -- making the underlying stats not match the visual presentation.

5 hours ago, DANNY1000000 said:

What is the point in this?  I signed him for 3.1m, he's had a great season, his value is between 1.5-4.6m and no matter how many times I reject the offer they come back with the same kind of offer over and over and over.  Don't get me started on the last day of the transfer window with this type of thing either.

Such a repetitive bogus feature, I don't know if is deliberate to unsettle the player or what but even when they are unsettled or not they keep coming in with crap offers when I keep refusing.  You wouldn't get a club IRL come in with the exact same bid 6-7 times in the same day.  Sorry about the rant but this gets my goat.

image.thumb.png.4c10fd5d99c96abe0d138551a46b9dee.png

At least it's not non-negotiable!

Yeah, this kind of thing is one of the reasons I stopped playing FM22 (I didn't buy '23 because interaction bugs weren't addressed).

On 05/12/2022 at 08:50, IrishRovers said:

I've played three seasons with Charlton, finally in the Championship in the fourth season after two years of playoff misery. I like the match engine this year, so far. 

My main issue is with the dynamism of the gameworld. Issues with AI youth development are part of this and being discussed elsewhere. But for me it's also just a lack of flux, transfer movement, change, especially in the lower leagues. In real life the team I support, Sunderland, has gone through about five first 11s in five years; that is common in lower league football but not really reflected in the game.

So four years in, I'm now playing Championship teams that look much the same as they did in 2022, but older. Bit boring. 

The ideal for me would be improving the manager AI so that you can see transfer preferences play out - Tony Mowbray likes young technical players, Alex Neil likes physical experienced players, etc. As it stands AI squads are very static, full of unhappy players who aren't playing, and often lacking basic components like full backs or whatever. It really pulls me out of the gane, sadly. Not sure how hard it is to implement that technically.

Can you please raise a bug as Charlton managers typically last 3-6 months - incredibly unrealistic 

:kriss: :brock:

1 hour ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Processing still seems quick for me as does loading the game, the only screen which has a slight "hang" is entering Club Vision after a season  or 2

I agree, processing is very quick for me. The loading of the game {not the save } takes longer than it did with FM22, but i am not sure if that's standard or its meant to be quicker than FM22.

10 hours ago, d d said:

The loading of the game {not the save } takes longer than it did with FM22

Aren’t there more loading screens this year compared to last year. If that’s the case then I’d expect it to load a bit slower compared to last year 

Gimcheon Sangmu FC are a South Korea side which are represented by those who undertake Military Assignments for I believe, two years. However, they appear to be greyed out in game. Is there a way to manage them or is it hard-coded?

7 hours ago, DarJ said:

Aren’t there more loading screens this year compared to last year. If that’s the case then I’d expect it to load a bit slower compared to last year 

You can shorten the loading time when starting the game by removing all the bloat screens. stw for details.

8 hours ago, Peter G said:

Gimcheon Sangmu FC are a South Korea side which are represented by those who undertake Military Assignments for I believe, two years. However, they appear to be greyed out in game. Is there a way to manage them or is it hard-coded?

Do you have the 2nd division of the Korean League enabled, they were relegated last season IIRC...

8 hours ago, Peter G said:

not on it due to licence restrictions ps if any one saw my previous comment i apologies i didnt realise ignorant on my part 

Edited by Mush1983

On 06/12/2022 at 15:47, balldoktor81 said:

how many of you guys are once again seeing very high passing %.... it is like FM 22 all over again after the latest update..... every team completing around 90% of their passes.... it is so boring to watch right now... never again will i let the game do the auto update. and the chaos is gone ... sucked out of the game... you can man mark players... press like crazy.... trap inside or outside doesn't matter.... Barca Like Passing for everybody... is it possible to undo the update... i had so much fun, now it's gone..... in this example i'm leading but...man it is no fun....

image.thumb.png.1e12c2c9c8d654619ba9783a50e3c6c7.png

The passing completion stats has been far to high for almost every team for many years now, same as the difference between the best teams and the rest have been to small when it comes to average possesion. When PSG and City more or less have the same passing ability as average teams from different leagues so loose faith in the importance of player stats. In my games most teams have a passing completion rate in the mid to high 80tis while in real life it should be at least 10 percent down and f.example in league one most teams should have a passing completion rate in the 60tis percentage range.

I’ve been harsh on SI when I wasn’t happy with the game so I have to give credit where credit’s due and I have to say the game is in a much better state since the update. It’s not perfect, but that’s okay as nothing will ever be perfect. I’m enjoying the game right now. 

That being said, a small detail that bothers me a little is the fact that the team you currently manage is now purple coloured where it used to be kind of blue-ish eversince I can remember. I’ve been talking about unnecessary changes SI made to the game and this is one more example. Why change it? It’s confusing me because purple was always the colour for affiliated clubs, so every time I see my own team I need a fraction of a second to realize it is in fact my own side instead of an affiliated club. Is there any way to change those colours?

7 hours ago, hagedisboy said:

I’ve been harsh on SI when I wasn’t happy with the game so I have to give credit where credit’s due and I have to say the game is in a much better state since the update. It’s not perfect, but that’s okay as nothing will ever be perfect. I’m enjoying the game right now. 

That being said, a small detail that bothers me a little is the fact that the team you currently manage is now purple coloured where it used to be kind of blue-ish eversince I can remember. I’ve been talking about unnecessary changes SI made to the game and this is one more example. Why change it? It’s confusing me because purple was always the colour for affiliated clubs, so every time I see my own team I need a fraction of a second to realize it is in fact my own side instead of an affiliated club. Is there any way to change those colours?

That confused me at first, just checked in preferences. I can not see how to change it. 

9 hours ago, hagedisboy said:

I believe it is a colour setting, in the settings file of a skin, called “human controlled”.

15 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

Do you have the 2nd division of the Korean League enabled, they were relegated last season IIRC...

They were showing in the 1st I think

15 hours ago, Mush1983 said:

not on it due to licence restrictions ps if any one saw my previous comment i apologies i didnt realise ignorant on my part 

Wonder if anything can be deleted to manage them?

21 minutes ago, Peter G said:

They were showing in the 1st I think

Wonder if anything can be deleted to manage them?

google yours best bet it cant be talked about on here for obvious reasons 

After playing a decent amount of time. Only cons that i found is ; unrealistic scores from strikers and transfer value.  I hope both shall be fixed with new update. I am not sure to mention about winger's crossing. I need to time for better conclusion. But my wingers are tend to turning back instead of crossing to the 6 yard box.

Edited by ceta96

Em 06/12/2022 em 13:01, XaW disse:

Well, it's quite individual per player, but until the player is 18, their growth mainly comes from training, so I always set whatever role I want him to play. For him I want him to be an IF-S or an IW-S since those are the roles I usually use, and that he would fit into.

image.png.3932252b44ba174b41fe84deea422e23.png

Do you always train your players with the same role you play them?

I am extremely tired of players moaning constantly, and half squad wanting to leave everytime another team knocks the door. Like, twice per week I am forced to go through the non-sense interaction with a player because of new contract (having maybe 3 years left!), playing time, wanting to leave, etc... And indeed, no matter how many options you have to choose in the interaction screen, I have save-scum many times and the outcome is always the same: either you agree to what the player says or the player gets mad. I wish I could completely erase this part of the game, which is completely contrary to "fun"

1 minute ago, mikcheck said:

Do you always train your players with the same role you play them?

More or less. For central midfielders I often train them as box-to-box midfielder, because it gives a very balanced attribute focus. Some times I switch it up if another role has more suitable attribute focus to avoid having to swap individual focus all the time, but as a rule of thumb, yes, they are set to the role they play in my tactic. If there are backups for multiple positions or roles, I try to select the role that trains the most attributes I feel the player needs to focus on. For example, I have a young player who can play DM and DC, but I want to use as a DM (since I have more talents for DC than DM currently). So I traing his as a Half Back. Now, currently I do use the role of Half Back, but I would probably give him that anyway, to mix both defensive skills and things like passing and vision to fit the DM spot, as I like my DM to be a decent passer.

12 minutes ago, el_manayer said:

I am extremely tired of players moaning constantly, and half squad wanting to leave everytime another team knocks the door. Like, twice per week I am forced to go through the non-sense interaction with a player because of new contract (having maybe 3 years left!), playing time, wanting to leave, etc... And indeed, no matter how many options you have to choose in the interaction screen, I have save-scum many times and the outcome is always the same: either you agree to what the player says or the player gets mad. I wish I could completely erase this part of the game, which is completely contrary to "fun"

I sometimes give in to a new contract, but only if the player is key to my long-term plans. Otherwise, I refuse, then use the in-game editor to "remove all unhappiness". This usually takes care of both the player and the teammates who are upset on his behalf (which I suspect has no basis in reality in the majority of cases).

In a Europa League match, just had the  referee go to the VAR screen (the animated jog to the sideline) for a red card VAR review.

Is this new, or just something I've not seen before?

Either way, nice surprise to come across something I've not had before.

Edited by rp1966

Those struggling with stuttering like @Tyburn or @Simsimmabrfc85 : What did the trick for me was actually related to the skin. Not sure actually how the default does it right now but the custom ones, like the one i use, often have elaborate "analysis" screens displayed in between highlights in the central area of the screen (the big area) with stuff like Action Zones, shot maps or in my case a Heatmap/Average Position Map. Now, on my Skin there are multiple other tabs to select and changing to a different tab than the elaborate main one meant no more stuttering. I have terrible stuttering and pauses between highlights (sim 2,3 in game minutes, then stop, 2 more minutes, stop) with the analysis tab, none with the stats screen. 

My theory is that in the case of this skin it is connected to the little heatmap in the analysis overview tab being updated in real time as the tab with a stand-alone heatmap tab (displayed in large across the whole area) is the only other of the tabs that causes this stuttering and you can visually see the stuttering coinciding with the Heat Map being updated.

Edited by Marinho

13 minutes ago, Marinho said:

Those struggling with stuttering: What did the trick for me was actually related to my skin(s). They often have elaborate "analysis" tabs displayed in between highlights in the central area of the screen (the big area). On my Skin there are multiple tabs and changing to a different tab (simply a big view of the game stats) meant no more stuttering. I have terrible stuttering and pauses between highlights (sim 2,3 in game minutes, then stop, 2 more minutes, stop) with the analysis tab, none with the stats screen. 

My theory is that it is connected to the little heatmap in the analysis overview tab being updated in real time as the stand-alone heatmap tab (only this displayed in large) is the only other of the tabs that causes this stuttering and you can visually see the stuttering coinciding with the Heat Map being updated.

So you were getting stuttering in between highlights, not during highlights? When you say stuttering do you mean flashing ME (the actual pitch) behind the inbetween highlights panels? Or did your game actually freeze for some time?

I’m interested because I don’t have any of the panels you listed on my inbetween highlights panels, and find it very interesting that this has worked for you.

Edited by Tyburn

2 hours ago, DarJ said:

it good to see that this thread is a bit quiet now. it seems that most people are enjoying the game now post update so that's a very good thing from SI's point of view 

Yeah, the major ME issues seem to have been fixed. It's still not perfect obviously, and it probably never will be, at least not any time soon.

But compared to how the game was at launch, it's much, much better right now.

Edited by (sic)

27 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

So you were getting stuttering in between highlights, not during highlights? When you say stuttering do you mean flashing ME (the actual pitch) behind the inbetween highlights panels? Or did your game actually freeze for some time?

I’m interested because I don’t have any of the panels you listed on my inbetween highlights panels.

The highlights themselves also felt sluggish but most noticeable (and absolutely doing my head in) was the time between highlights taken much longer due to the game literally pausing every 2,3 IG minutes and also when going in and out of highlights. For making any adjustments (shouts etc) i had to pause the game, otherwise it was non-responsive. And getting worse as the game went on, presumably because there was more to display graphically.

Here's a short clip:

Edited by Marinho

13 minutes ago, Marinho said:

The highlights themselves also felt sluggish but most noticeable (and absolutely doing my head in) was the time between highlights taken much longer due to the game literally pausing every 2,3 IG minutes and also when going in and out of highlights. For making any adjustments (shouts etc) i had to pause the game, otherwise it was non-responsive. And getting worse as the game went on, presumably because there was more to display graphically.

Here's a short clip:

Interesting. Glad this has worked for you.

For me, since 23.2, I have had a flickering match engine, behind inbetween highlight panels (which I have remedied by adjusting the inbetween highlight panels to cover the whole screen - effectively hiding the ME) and then stutter and lag during highlights (that I “think” I have remedied by “blacking out” the ad boards).

Needs more testing, especially in a network game, but believe my issues are now sorted, albeit through some skin work and a less than ideal workaround.

I feel the command prompt fix will be suitable for a lot of people, but I had lag and stuttering on the ME from beta, so reverting doesn’t work for me. 

The flashing ME behind inbetween highlight panels only started with 23.2. I believe THAT could be skin related, but as I play with a highly customised personal skin, I was able to find a workaround.

Would still like to know WHY I now get a flashing ME pitch inbetween highlights, but at least I don’t see it anymore.

1 hour ago, Tyburn said:

For me, since 23.2, I have had a flickering match engine, behind inbetween highlight panels (which I have remedied by adjusting the inbetween highlight panels to cover the whole screen - effectively hiding the ME) and then stutter and lag during highlights (that I “think” I have remedied by “blacking out” the ad boards).

Needs more testing, especially in a network game, but believe my issues are now sorted, albeit through some skin work and a less than ideal workaround.

I feel the command prompt fix will be suitable for a lot of people, but I had lag and stuttering on the ME from beta, so reverting doesn’t work for me. 

The flashing ME behind inbetween highlight panels only started with 23.2. I believe THAT could be skin related, but as I play with a highly customised personal skin, I was able to find a workaround.

Would still like to know WHY I now get a flashing ME pitch inbetween highlights, but at least I don’t see it anymore.

Hi mate don’t no weather you could help hopefully I was like stuttering in highlights still am tried everything... could you share how you blacked out the boards.. and you settings? If u have Nvidia be really appreciated can’t play it at all Cheers 

1 hour ago, Tyburn said:

Also if could share your skin

43 minutes ago, Lpool1 said:

Also if could share your skin

I’m not in a position to directly tell you how to do the boards unfortunately. You’ll have to search Google for this I’m afraid. And the skinning hideout has some information.

My skin is not for sharing either.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

I am posting the information I have here, in the feedback thread, in the hope SI look into these issues for us all, and can possibly use the information I have provided to find an “official” solution.

Good luck.

20 minutes ago, cherryman71 said:

Judging by all the feedback I've read so far, I have to come to the conclusion that FM23 is not really worth buying until after the final update, and hopefully then at a reduced price. They do this every year , release what to my mind is an unfinished game, and in particular this year, with its lack of any worthwhile or exciting new features, I feel as much as I love playing, its not really good enough is it, to be paying 60 euros on steam for what is ultimately a patch (and pardon the pun, not a patch on last years version). I've spent many hours on previous versions, I do love the game, its great fun to play, but at this point the lack of anything worthwhile in this years edition should be questioned

Correct my friend very frustrating and annoying. 3D lag in match engine (since update) is bad... tried all troubleshooting and flip discard thing... plus not good to play at all.

For the love of God, someone fix defensive headers!!!

*Ball harmlessly floating out of play for a goal kick* Result - Defender heads it off the byline to an opposition player to score

*Ball aimlessly lofted forward, defender has 10-15yards of space around him to control it or nod it back to keeper* Result - Defender aimlessly heads it backwards to the opposition

*Corner/set piece cleared to wide area* Result - Defender heads it right back into the mixer under no pressure

Don't get me wrong, things are massively improved since the patch but this **** breaks any immersion totally!

The lag in the 3d match engine is still present. It has been raised as a bug already.

I didn't really have any issues with the match engine in the first place tbh, but I am curious as to how exactly QA is done for it. I don't have any observations one way or the other.

I'm curious to hear others opinions on this. I don't think it's a bug but it does seem a little OTT.

I started a Sunday League to Hall of Fame save, no coaching badges and Sunday League rep while unemployed. Managed to get my first job at Chippenham Town in the National League South who were fighting against relegation.

I turn their season around and get them in the playoffs on the final day of the season but unfortunately lose in the semi-finals. The following season I finish 4th and again lose in the playoffs. During this 18 months, I manage to get up to a Continental C License. I don't renew my contract at the end of this season and decide it's the right time to move on - my rep is 1 and half star and 25%.

After a few months, I managed to land my next role, with a 3 star reputation side called Eupen in the top division of Belgium. 

In summary, surely moving from the National League South to the Jupiler Pro League in one move is a bit unrealistic? 

1 hour ago, Fabregas_04 said:

For the love of God, someone fix defensive headers!!!

*Ball harmlessly floating out of play for a goal kick* Result - Defender heads it off the byline to an opposition player to score

*Ball aimlessly lofted forward, defender has 10-15yards of space around him to control it or nod it back to keeper* Result - Defender aimlessly heads it backwards to the opposition

*Corner/set piece cleared to wide area* Result - Defender heads it right back into the mixer under no pressure

Don't get me wrong, things are massively improved since the patch but this **** breaks any immersion totally!

This is really the most annoying part. Defenders learn to never head the ball centrally, but out to the sides. FM defenders have never learned that, it seems.

And yes, you are right I feel like this match engine it's harder than ever to just trash teams which I really like, but it's doing my head in that 2/3 of the goals I concede are due to defenders heading the ball right into the path of the opposition CMs.

Edited by Flohrinho