*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

@EdL --disable_flip_discard just to let you know i have had to apply this to the pre game editor temps were hitting 80c and power drawing 102% rtx 3080 cpu i9 12900k fixed it now temps are back to normal all i was doing was verifying rules for fixtures 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, Mush1983 said:

@EdL --disable_flip_discard just to let you know i have had to apply this to the pre game editor temps were hitting 80c and power drawing 102% rtx 3080 cpu i9 12900k fixed it now temps are back to normal all i was doing was verifying rules for fixtures 

Yeah guess thats "expected" given the other issue, they use the same rendering code.

Not sure if anyone else has covered this so apologies if so, but my update started automatically when loading Steam. I have paused it as I really don’t want to update until I’ve read more feedback. However, I can’t see any option to start the game without completing the download now.

Is there any way to salvage this and play the game without having to complete the update? Playing on a Mac if that helps.

2 minutes ago, leo2r said:

But it's not a bug per se is it? You guys are already fully aware of the insane pass numbers since the update.. you guys literally posted a couple of weeks ago that this ME wasn't going to be released due to this (CB's racking up 300 passes per game), so why would I waste time providing PKM's for something you clearly know exists? The ME played much better pre-patch and had more realistic numbers, this seems like a huge backwards step reverting back to FM22-esque engine jsut because a few people on here moaned about long balls. Pre-patch I was using a tactic with short passing, getting 83% passing accuracy and my players very rarely played pointless long balls, and the defensive issues were not that common.  Now, after the patch, league two teams are managing nearly 600+ passes per game, every game. This doesn;t look good or provide any realism at all, that's why I'm annoyed. You released an initial ME with bugs but I could put up with them because the ME was clearly taking huge strives forward, now you've gone all the way back and it's really sad tbh

They said it's not the same ME that produced those insane passing numbers.

They didn't change the ME just because "a few people on here moaned about long balls". They changed it because a lot of people reported that there were clear issues, that shouldn't be happening.

Just because you could put up with those bugs, doesn't mean the rest of us could. I'd rather them fix those issues (that pretty much occurred in almost every game I've played).

You've been told to submit bug reports and provide .pkms, yet you continue to bash on other people and the devs, instead of doing that.

I'll have to play through the rest of the season in order to draw conclusions. It's possible that the passing numbers are slightly higher for me than before, so I'm going to keep track of it. Pass completion definitely seems to be on a higher side, and that's an issue that's been carried on from FM22 (and probably previous versions). There could be an issue with pressing, and especially the high press, where defenders have a lot of free time on the ball sometimes, without players closing them down.

28 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Hey all, thanks for your feedback so far, especially those who have provided bug reports with PKMs. Just wanted to respond to a couple of reported issues here:

You've made 13 posts in this feedback thread about this issue last night, but I can't find any bug report or PKMs provided with examples for us to look at. If you really want to help us work on a fix for your issue here, the best way is to make a bug report and provide us with as much information as possible so we can investigate. This thread is for general feedback/thoughts, one person repeatedly posting the same message over and over just makes it harder for us to gauge public sentiment and isn't fair on other people who want their voices to be heard.

We need a lot of examples for these sorts of issues. As much as we want to make sure that every single statistic in the game is 100% in line with real life figures, the most important thing is how the ME plays and feels. There's no point having us balance out every single number if the actual match you see feels off. Changes like this are very risky so please do provide PKMs and we can use them as part of our investigations for the future.

Thank you for making a bug report with some examples - please continue to update your thread with the best examples you find and we'll investigate. However I'm a bit confused - you keep saying that you loved the dribbles in the previous ME, but you also made the same bug report about dribbling pre-update, and we've not really made any significant changes to dribbling direction for this update. Is this definitely an issue you're only seeing now?

But again, you've posted your feedback about dribbling 8 times last night, we read all the messages so there's no need to keep repeating yourself! You've made a bug report which is the correct course of action, please remember let other people have a chance to post their own feedback and we will look at your bug report. Thanks

Hey Jack

I posted also the problem pre patch because I saw a lot of situations that the IF can cutd inside and not doing it.

After 23.2 - I'm barely seeing any dribbles and not single 1 dribble of cutting inside and I played over 15 games. 

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, GOODNAME said:

Hey Jack

I posted also the problem pre patch because I saw a lot of situations that the IF can cutd inside and not doing it.

After 23.2 - I'm barely seeing any dribbles and not single 1 dribble of cutting inside and I played over 15 games. 

Ok, please continue to post the best examples you find to your bug thread. That really is the best thing to do and we can have a look. Thanks!

So after looking a bit more through the stats before and after the update, I do indeed notice some changes.

Passes completed went from ~500 (+/- 100) to 600+ (often reaching 700-800). Likewise, passes completed for my 2 CBs went from 60-80 to 80+ (often 100+ per game for each CB).

That's probably got something to do with long balls being toned down, but again, I'd say the CBs aren't getting pressured correctly most of the time, so they have plenty of time on the ball.

I conceded 3 headers from set pieces in one league game. Very annoying and really stood out as it was their only 3 highlights. 

I went to the data hub to try and see how much of an issue this has been for me and it turns out it's not an issue at all, none of the goals I've conceded in the league have been headers (13 placed shots, 1 powerful shot). 

I saw that of the 2 goals I've conceded in domestic cup one was a  header, I checked the highlights and both were shots from through balls

Can I trust the data hub to be accurate in other areas/reports? 

Edited by Iakovenko

12 hours ago, janrzm said:

Well I have no idea if things are improved with the changes. What is improved and very welcome is the additional info and insight published with the update. Being more open about issues we can all see with our own eyes feels like a step in the right direction.

Agree with this 100 percent  The long change log improving/patching so many different areas of the game and transparancy in what has been fixed is a fine job. I've been critical and feel as this should have been done on release but it's here now and the update finally makes the game feel finished and looks like the team have really taken into account most of the bug reports from the community to which they should be appluaded

They fixed the tournament draw speed, which was one of my complaints. They fixed newgen attribute development distribution. Staff meetings are actually reccomending improving the right weaknesses for players now. The M.E isn't perfect but it's far more balanced and logical. No more OP corners, defending is much improved and you don't see calamatious errors every match where your central defenders look like the chuckle brothers.  I heard someone complain there is no more choas, which isn't true. The ball still bobbles and lesser players still have a loose touch to get dispossesed but there is now balance to it where it happens occassionally rather every single time your turn decides not to turn up.

Before  a defender or midfielder regardless of their composure/attributes would be in a dangerous area of the pitch and would stall too long on the ball waiting until a striker nicks it and scores an easy goal. Or the goalkeeper would have the option to play it out to a defender who is not under pressure, but instead would decide to kick it straight to the opposition player leading to goalscoring opportunity This no longer happens which is a game changer from the previous patch. defenders still make mistake but it is far more spread out and balanced. Long balls over the top still happen but again it's balanced, not every single counter is a long ball over the top leading to goalscoring opportunity and defenders actually covering space and tracking runs to make them actually look like they play football at pro level

The patch was never going to be perfect and be to everyone's liking, but it's done a fine job in fixing major core issues as well as QoL features along with processing speed.

That's my last post here as I have been advised to step back but just wanted to say well done to SI for this patch. For those who complaining about how happy you were with the pre-patch, then you should have turned off auto updates so you could continue to enjoy the unfinished beta

Edited by Ferocious289

33 minutes ago, yakubu2 said:

Not sure if anyone else has covered this so apologies if so, but my update started automatically when loading Steam. I have paused it as I really don’t want to update until I’ve read more feedback. However, I can’t see any option to start the game without completing the download now.

Is there any way to salvage this and play the game without having to complete the update? Playing on a Mac if that helps.

Sorry to repost myself but any ideas? Will re-installing the game / Steam do anything?

Really don’t to potentially ruin a great save I have going .

• SI Staff
26 minutes ago, Kloppy said:

worked. thank you

Can anyone provide the filters/views they had so we can see what is happening here? (did you create them or were they downloaded from somewhere?)

5 minutes ago, yakubu2 said:

Sorry to repost myself but any ideas? Will re-installing the game / Steam do anything?

Really don’t to potentially ruin a great save I have going .

No don’t reinstall. Try right clicking on the game on steam there should be an option to cancel it. if that doesn't work try and see if you can go on offline mode

Edited by DarJ

13 minutes ago, DarJ said:

No don’t reinstall. Try right clicking on the game on steam there should be an option to cancel it. if that doesn't work try and see if you can go on offline mode

No option to cancel and even in offline mode it won’t let the game run. I’ve googled it and apparently Steam doesn’t allow an update to be cancelled if it’s begun :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help though mate, appreciated.

1 hour ago, EdL said:

Can anyone provide the filters/views they had so we can see what is happening here? (did you create them or were they downloaded from somewhere?)

I’m not at my laptop now but they were filters from Stag on Twitter and views from him and another reputable FM Twitter user. Edit - BusttheNet

Edited by Kloppy

Still the Youth Award - Winning World Reputation by 100, is Ligue 1 and Israel

1.thumb.png.dac774861da1eda3ffdf5e46fdea8554.png

If we decrease down by 80, we only get the German and again from Ligue 1 - Revelation

2.thumb.png.e2467b309d308247cf61d9e537baac0d.png

Going down to 60, the only one which is added is from Finland

3.thumb.png.3da32b3789094c179eb33004f4f01008.png

Going down to 40, Portugal - Uruguay - Mexico appear

4.thumb.png.d95532d1a30eb1908a9dfbb665d8ee97.png

====

There is no England, Spain, Italy which does not make any logic.

Apart from this, have previously report in Bug Tracker, Spanish League Player of The Year - does not earn a reputation (Home & World)

5.thumb.png.1b13ceef44e6ec7f82d850e958b36672.png

====

Pretty sure there is nothing wrong in code, but the issue is on database.

2 hours ago, JordanMilly said:

You have that option - set Steam to not auto-update games. It's not SI's fault if you don't use the options available to you.

That's not really true though. Steam won't update your game until you launch the game. The only real workaround is to actually play offline.

cAXFka4.png

Edited by orlyzao

27 minutes ago, fc.cadoni said:

Still the Youth Award - Winning World Reputation by 100, is Ligue 1 and Israel

1.thumb.png.dac774861da1eda3ffdf5e46fdea8554.png

If we decrease down by 80, we only get the German and again from Ligue 1 - Revelation

2.thumb.png.e2467b309d308247cf61d9e537baac0d.png

Going down to 60, the only one which is added is from Finland

3.thumb.png.3da32b3789094c179eb33004f4f01008.png

Going down to 40, Portugal - Uruguay - Mexico appear

4.thumb.png.d95532d1a30eb1908a9dfbb665d8ee97.png

====

There is no England, Spain, Italy which does not make any logic.

Apart from this, have previously report in Bug Tracker, Spanish League Player of The Year - does not earn a reputation (Home & World)

5.thumb.png.1b13ceef44e6ec7f82d850e958b36672.png

====

Pretty sure there is nothing wrong in code, but the issue is on database.

I wonder if someone could run a test with Ligue 1 to see if the big clubs (PSG probably a bad example due to sugar daddy) like Marseille, Lyon etc. are using their newgens or not. France has a pretty good youth rating so you should be seeing world class talents coming through.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

I'm playing youth only, so I use year of intake and then the letter for how my assistant rate them.

Not a big one, if anything my IF on the left is playing better than he did.

This is his form, and the red line is when the update happened:

image.thumb.png.d550ab1f7a1864f2c3d1009e7c526274.png

I use a Winger on the other side, so this is the only comparison I have for it. After his quite crappy first match against QPR (which we did win after a poor match from everyone going forward), he has been dominant. 

The last match was a very unlucky match against Birmingham who sort of FM'ed us, though I blame the goals on my goalkeeper not showing up...

2jhonzM.png

He tend to play much better against team who attack us, because I struggle to give him enough space against teams who try to lock out the match, but that was also a trend before the update.

Can back this up. Have always struggled getting Son to perform for a couple of years now but since the patch (above redline) he's been a revelation:

image.thumb.png.b3a894db9fbae5b87ca3537cbef0ad5e.png

The DLF/A role for Kane markedly improved to:

image.thumb.png.6c1732e0b36e8c33e8eee2eb81f6af47.png

So nice to finally get them playing effectively in simple tactics, default PIs particularly against teams that sit deep with the way wide and central forward positions feel more linked.

image.png

image.png

Not seeing any problems with inside forwards... in fact I'd say I've seen them cutting inside with the ball even more. I also just had a really nice goal from an inside forward, on an assist from the opposite inside forward who had cut in with the ball and played him through.

It does seem like with the fewer balls over the top, my own tactics may not be quite attacking enough, but that should be a relatively easy adjustment to figure out. 

One thing I've noticed; for the weekly staff meeting, I'm now getting a lot of individual training recommendations that I wasn't getting before. Like "so-and-so struggles with composure and decisions and should be put on final third training"

Edited by drhay53

I have the same long startup loading issues as well. My PC was making weird noises when I load up FM23 after the update (guessing the noise is from the graphic card?) and it scared the heck out of me. I have tried everything but the command line and I know it may work, but I saw someone saying despite it fixing the startup loading speed, it still affected the 3d matches and putting a strain on the graphic card. I'd rather not risk destroying my graphic card. Any chance there might be a fix coming soon-ish or do I need to wait for another major update?

8 minutes ago, Aizawa said:

I have the same long startup loading issues as well. My PC was making weird noises when I load up FM23 after the update (guessing the noise is from the graphic card?) and it scared the heck out of me. I have tried everything but the command line and I know it may work, but I saw someone saying despite it fixing the startup loading speed, it still affected the 3d matches and putting a strain on the graphic card. I'd rather not risk destroying my graphic card. Any chance there might be a fix coming soon-ish or do I need to wait for another major update?

its being investigated

• SI Staff

The command line will restore to the exact same behaviour as before the patch, so no worries about using it (anyway a bit of software can';t destroy your graphics card if it did get too hot it would simply shut itself down)

Listening to community feedback and then making changes and providing clear correspondence is a very good step in the right direction. Well done SI.

There are still issues, some that have persisted over a few versions of FM (for example big clubs stockpiling older players or signing players and never playing them - Inter signed Raphinha in Jan for 18m on mine, didnt play a single game and hes sold to Liverpool in July and will probably play no games before moving to another big club) but with this seemingly new approach to providing clarity we might get somewhere with those issues that are smaller than the ME.

13 hours ago, mozza79 said:

Sad to see the new patch seems to have killed the ability to shut games down and reverted to a low block being a green light to getting ripped to shreds. Pre patch there is only one time i recall blowing a lead when i shut up shop with a bit of the game left, usually worked a treat as it should more often than not. tried it twice post patch, first time 2-1 up at home with 20 minutes to go, they get 3 big chances and take one 2-2. second time 3-1 up away with 15 minutes to go, switch to shut down and draw 3-3 as they cut through me at will.

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Yes I have noticed this. On the previous patch I switched to a low block to shut games out which was successful most of the time. I downloaded the new patch and in my first game I was 1-0 up. I switched to my low block on 84 mins. 85 mins. 1-1. 87 mins 2-1 down. Was hoping it was just a coincidence! 

5 minutes ago, GlennLUFC said:

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Yes I have noticed this. On the previous patch I switched to a low block to shut games out which was successful most of the time. I downloaded the new patch and in my first game I was 1-0 up. I switched to my low block on 84 mins. 85 mins. 1-1. 87 mins 2-1 down. Was hoping it was just a coincidence! 

I’m guessing the tactics you had before, may have ‘exploited’ the ME before it was patched. Maybe now the exploit is fixed, try to adjust your tactics accordingly. 

Not felt like wanting to play much prior to the patch landing. I had completed just 2 seasons of my annual long term save prior to Yesterday (Other than 2 short term saves I usually use to test tactics, and gauge players (Buying/Selling/How well they perform etc)

First impressions: I like it a lot. In my tiki taka no striker tactic I imported from FM21 I am seeing better interchanging of passes, player movement (Especially the front 3 - 2AM and 1SS). Processing is good when not playing a match, But randomly during games I get a slight lag/pause before taking a corner/freekick/making subs and at times the game sorta freezes/goes into slow motion but at a good speed if that makes any sense but this is completely random and could be at times when graphics card is at it's peak core useage?

Onto Yellow cards. It looks like these have been toned down a lot. Can anyone else confirm if this is true for them too?

S.I ... I Applaud all the staff that have taken the time out to respond in this thread. For the greater transparency between the Devs/SI Staff and us Users. Honesty is always the best policy and after the tumultuous launch of the game to see you all be open, honest and responsive towards the issues that have been mentioned is brilliant. And I hope this is how it is going forward. Not only for this release, but for future launches.

I'd like to add - Zero issues when installing despite having one skin in my folder and a few 'Views' in their respective folders. Also not noticing no difference with regards to graphics other than the aforementioned minor lag/pause and the weird slow motion.

Edited by kopfan1977

I'd just like to add that this is FEEDBACK.

The update has really improved my save in terms of processing times, and it has also actually eradicated any ME lag which I was suffering from before. Also passing % don't seem inflated to me, if anything they seem less than before the update from looking at a few games.

UPDATE: First launch was fine, however upon launching again I am unable to do so. Any ideas or anyone encountered this? I have verified the cache integrity and removed all custom graphic packs to no avail
UPDATE #2: It was a skin. By removing it and inserting it again it is now all working fine.

image.thumb.png.55d756d3f0cc99bfa2bd55fd8f1ace16.png

Edited by Domoboy23

4 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Is it me or does the game stutter a bit more since the update?

Right click on Football Manager 2023 > Properties > Launch Options > 

--disable_flip_discard

NVIDIA Control Panel

Low Latency Mode - Ultra
Threaded Optimization - On
Triple Buffering - Off
Vertical Sync - Off

Hope that helps

1 hour ago, LeoFM said:

Nice to see that defender decision-making for aerial balls was fixed in the update.

It has been - doesn't mean you're now immune to a ball over the top every now and again (or a lot if you're lower league).  Got done by one in my first match after the patch (defender jumped under the  ball), but nothing since. I play a high line and that's the risk I take and accept.

In your case the defender clearly got done by the bounce of the ball - forward judged it better,

Edited by rp1966

6 minutes ago, Mr Tonio said:

Quick question, does anyone successfully managed to have their captain settle an unstettled player? 6 saves from the beta on, i've never been able to achieve that...Not once.

Nope, I was wondering this too, worked well in other FM's, not worked once yet on this version :D